(Interest Check) Mythras - Mythic/Historic Ireland

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Séadna

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Thinking of having a little mini-sandbox game set in 9th century Ireland as a taste of Mythras. Can be purely historic or mythic depending on peoples' preferences. Thinking of starting in January, but just want to get an idea of possible player count first.

Mythras-Ireland.jpg

EDIT: It would be PbP here on the pub at around one or two posts a day

Last edited:
Definitely interested. Are you talking about PbP or live online? I prefer the latter but I'm in either way.

I would like to try it depending on when, where, and how. :thumbsup:

I'm interested, but I'm forced to admit that skimming Imperative has been my only exposure to Mythras.
Doesn't matter at all spittingimage spittingimage

I would like to try it depending on when, where, and how. :thumbsup:
Definitely interested. Are you talking about PbP or live online? I prefer the latter but I'm in either way.
Put this into the OP now, it would be PbP here on the pub at a pace of one or two posts a day like most other games.

Last edited:
Thinking of having a little mini-sandbox game set in 9th century Ireland as a taste of Mythras. Can be purely historic or mythic depending on peoples' preferences. Thinking of starting in January, but just want to get an idea of possible player count first.

View attachment 6057

EDIT: It would be PbP here on the pub at around one or two posts a day
I've never read Mythras, but from the coversations I get the impression that it's a descendant of BRP. Is this correct?

I've never read Mythras, but from the coversations I get the impression that it's a descendant of BRP. Is this correct?
Precisely, a descendent of Runequest and was originally called Runequest 6 before Chaosium got the name back.

I'm obviously interested...
Though I really don't have the time. But somehow this kind of stuff never ends up stopping me when it comes to historical games!

Don't count on me for the time being, though.

RQ1 begat RQ2, RQ2 begat BRP, RQ2 begat RQ3, RQ3 begat RQ4 (Sort of), RQ4 begat RQ5, RQ4 begat GORE, RQ4 begat OpenQuest, RQ4 begat Renaissance, RQ5 begat RQ6, RQ5 begat Legend, RQ6 begat Mythras and Legend begat Revolution.
BRP begat BRP and BRP and BRP, BRP begat Stormbringer, Stormbringer begat Elric, Elric begat Hawkmoon, RQ3 begat Ringworld, BRP begat Call of Cthulhu, Call of Cthulhu begat itself 6 more times, BRP begat Worlds of Wonder, Worlds of Wonder begat Superworld, BRP and Stormbringer begat Magic World.
Thus ends the Begatting of Systems, unless I have forgotten any.

And Arphaxad begat Shelah; which himself engendered Eber.

And to Eber were born two sons; the name of one was Peleg, for the land was parted in his days; and the name of his brother was Joktan.

I'll go through Char Gen soon, but just to say a few things, I'll be using the Mythras Imperative rules here:
http://thedesignmechanism.com/resources/TDM110 Mythras Imperative.pdf

The difference from the Core Mythras rules is mainly no magic system, less combat widgets, much smaller item list and the absence of GM facing rules.

The item list will be based on the setting so we don't need the Core one as much and obviously ye don't need the GM rules. Combat I might make more complex as we go on, but we don't need the full weight to begin with.

Other bits:
  1. No knowledge of the period expected obviously

2. I might leave some terms in Gaelic for flavour if there isn't a true English equivalent, but this would be rare. So:
    Flaithbertach mac Inmainén Músgraighe Uí Fhloinn
    is just
    Flabert Inmanson of the Muskerry Clan

In general I've kept things as people would have heard them, so a Claymore is called a "Big Sword" in game. There's only a few terms like this.

3. I don't want to require people to learn Mythras as it's nicer to learn as you play, so if people don't mind (say if you do) I'll roll for you with exposition on what's going on.

My mom had a thing where her body was attacking her own blood cells and she had low oxygen as a result. Ended up with "word salad". She couldn't make coherent sentences in English. I'm sure they were fine in Gaelic though!

I think you need to visit Wales to get over your stereotypical views. May I suggest this town:

View attachment 6444
Coincidentally, that is precisely where I learned to speak fluent Welsh when I was visiting Anglesey long ago. Happy New Year! Or, as they say in Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, "Gadewch i deulu fy chwaer ddod gartref. Henoed yn cael eu targedu gan dwyllwyr. Yn ofnus, wedi'ch ffieiddio, yn euog, yn ddagreuol, yn betrus neu'n isel."

I would be interested in this, never played pbp before though. Also would definitely go for Mythic as opposed to purely historical. I've recently run Waterlands for Mythic Britain and the supernatural elements (all local to the region - the Humber estuary and new to me) were a blast to play with.

1. I don't want to require people to learn Mythras as it's nicer to learn as you play, so if people don't mind (say if you do) I'll roll for you with exposition on what's going on.
I don't mind you rolling for us - if I don't trust the GM, I don't play - but I'd like to point out that at least for some of us, there's no need to learn Mythras:smile:. I've got the book already and have been using it for years...
Now, unlearning my own houserules might take a while, because I've long since forgotten what is a houserule and what is RAW:grin:! So if I join, I would prefer you to roll for us, at least at the start.

I am interested, but I know the rules well, and also am in 2PBP and a face to face, and I have no desire to limit folks with my low participation potentially

I don't mind you rolling for us - if I don't trust the GM, I don't play - but I'd like to point out that at least for some of us, there's no need to learn Mythras
No worries, that was more for people who don't know it as I thought it'd be a bit much to ask them to learn them off rather than the more natural way of learning.

If you already know the rules, you can just ignore my ooc notes accompanying rolls. Although it may be difficult given how well written they'll be! :clown:

I am interested, but I know the rules well, and also am in 2PBP and a face to face, and I have no desire to limit folks with my low participation potentially
No worries regarding being too busy, just in case it's the "learning the rules" part that's just an ooc note anytime a roll happens to come up.

Hey, I'm still in...I've just been super busy the last few days. Totally OK with you rolling the dice.

So the game is set/starts in the Kingdom of Tullyhaw, also called the Kingdom of the McGoverns. One of Irelands 150 kingdoms at the time and roughly 140 square miles.

Character Creation works as in the Mythras Imperative rules:
http://thedesignmechanism.com/resources/TDM110 Mythras Imperative.pdf

Except the Culture and Profession list is drastically reduced. Changes are:
  1. The only culture is Barbarian
  2. The only Professions are Crafter, Entertainer, Farmer, Official, Physician, Priest, Scholar and Politician
  3. Language(any) is confined to Language(Greek) and Language(Latin)
  4. Similarly Literacy(any) is confined to Gaelic, Latin, Greek.
  5. Given it's status in Society and the scientific approach to it, Poetry is a Lore not an Art.
Some careers will be called something else in game. Entertainer is Harpist, Official is Judge, Scholar is Poet or Historian depending on the skills you take and Politician is Lord/Royal. Crafter can be Druid depending on your choices. Some NPCs will be of the Servant profession, but within the period it's not a very exciting role for a PC.

All characters are sons/daughters of individuals from these professions, being trained and raised into their profession in the Kings house as foster children. Note if you are a daughter it implies your father has no sons, as otherwise you'd be trained in generic textile work and being a wife.

Within individual careers there are the following changes:
  1. Farmer doesn't have Commerce, but instead has Combat Style(Kern).

2. For Entertainer remove Acrobatics and add Courtesy, Musicianship is just Harp in game. Entertainers who weren't Harpists were basically slaves with no legal existence, having talents like being professional farters.

3. Politician doesn't have Language(any) and Culture(any). Instead they have Lore(Raid Tactics) and Combat Style(Horseman).

4. Scholar's Lore(Primary) is either Lore(Poetry) or Lore(History). Lore(Secondary) can be Lore(Poetry) or Lore(Myths), although Poetry can't be taken twice with this. choice of Primary Lore determines if you are a Poet or Historian.

5. Official has only three possible Lores: Lore(Native Law), Lore(Canon Law), Lore(Poetry). Not Lore(any) as in the Imperative rules

6. Most Crafters don't have Art. Craft(Primary) and Craft(Secondary) can be Blacksmithing, Coppersmithing, Goldsmithing, Carpentry, Chariot Builder, Engraver. If you want to be a Druid take the special choices Art(Spell) and Craft(Potions).

Finally two little details, a Lord (Politican career), Priest or Historian who takes Lore(Poetry) for his Lore(any) has the additional title of Bard in game. A Bard was somebody who had learned Poetic lore, but wasn't formally trained in it.

Combat Style(Kern) is one skill that applies to rolls on using a sword, a long dagger, shield and a javelin/bow/darts.
Combat Style(Horseman) is similar except on horseback.

Last edited:
To give a little idea of the Kingdom of Tullyhaw. it was one of the first places to have a secular university so Poets, Historians and Judges could be trained outside of Monastaries.

It was also the stomping ground of some of the darker Celtic gods like Crom Cruach and one of the major conversion efforts of Patrick.

The Kings of Tullyhaw have to pay tribute to the Overkings of Breifne.

Stone of Crom:
Db8fMR2WAAAOYjN.jpg

Drumlane Abbey, main site of Christian learning at the time:
Drumlane-Abbey-and-Round-Tower.jpg

It's an area full of hills and lakes:
IweBs Jan 15 Photo by Heather lough atrain 1.jpg

Since Mythras is a bit involved, you can just roll the basic stats as described at the beginning of the Imperative rules and give me that and your career choice and I can send back a typical build. Just in case any find char gen too tedious.

I'll have some time to create my character tonight.

I am curious about Mythras. I downloaded the free rules, but could not really make out the combat style rules (because I was impatient and mostly indifferent to the bells and whistles). However I would love to give it a fair college try. :heart:

That said, it might be easiest if I was some generic hireling than a fully fledged character. That way I can focus on mechanics and let everyone else go crazy. Got anything like an NPC torchbearer with a club n sling? :goof:

could not really make out the combat style rules

they are pretty easy
  • if no one succeeds, no special effects involved
  • X succeeds, Y fails, X picks one special effect
  • X crits, Y fails, X picks two special effects
  • X crits, Y fumbles, X picks 3 special effects
they allow you to gain a narrative and mechanical advantage out of your hit. So, Saoirse attacks Caoimhe with her claideamh, who defends with her scian. Saoirse succeeds and Caoimhe fails, allowing Saoirse to pick a special effect. She picks Disarm Opponent, not wanting to chop Caoimhe in dhá. Caoimhe rolls her combat style against Saoisre's original roll. if she fails again, she can say slán to her scian.

this can go the other way. of Saoirse misses, Caoimhe can decide to defend anyways and try to exploit the miss. If she succeeds, she might choose to Trip Saoirse, and Saoirse is forced to make an opposed roll now instead.

Should get a summary of the Mythras rules up either Thursday or Friday.

That said, it might be easiest if I was some generic hireling than a fully fledged character. That way I can focus on mechanics and let everyone else go crazy. Got anything like an NPC torchbearer with a club n sling?
There were plenty of hirelings at the time. Entertainer (e.g. Jester or Juggler), Slave, Royal House Guard?

The most common was subsistence farmer who had been forced into his position from being saved from death, but it's not too exciting a role I think.

There were plenty of hirelings at the time. Entertainer (e.g. Jester or Juggler), Slave, Royal House Guard?

The most common was subsistence farmer who had been forced into his position from being saved from death, but it's not too exciting a role I think.

Doesn't matter as it is your game that offers hirelings. :grin: Just an NPC that hangs out with the party and occasionally helps out the party, including combat moments. Go crazy and make several versions, and whichever one the party hires I'll play. :thumbsup:

Doesn't matter as it is your game that offers hirelings. :grin: Just an NPC that hangs out with the party and occasionally helps out the party, including combat moments. Go crazy and make several versions, and whichever one the party hires I'll play. :thumbsup:
Oh sorry you want to be a guy the party hires, I thought you meant you wanted to be a hireling role (i.e. the historical sense rather than the roleplaying sense). No problem then, it'll probably come up early enough.

I used the Mythras Encounter Generator, but have it in spreadsheet as well. I didn't put in any passions or equipment yet. He's a druid, because why not :smile:

1547089868761.png

Iarfhlaith (Pronounced: ear-lah)
Chars
STR: 8
CON: 10
SIZ: 9
DEX: 8
INT: 18
POW: 15
CHA: 10
Attributes
Action Points3
Damage Modifier-1d2
Magic Points15
Movement6
Strike Rank13(13-0)
Cult rankNone

1D20LocationAP/HP
01-03Right leg
0/4​
04-06Left leg
0/4​
07-09Abdomen
0/5​
10-12Chest
0/6​
13-15Right arm
0/3​
16-18Left arm
0/3​
19-20Head
0/4​

Skills: Art (Spell) 55%, Athletics 16%, Boating 18%, Brawn 27%, Conceal 23%, Craft (Potions) 56%, Customs 76%, Dance 18%, Deceit 38%, Drive 23%, Endurance 50%, Evade 16%, First Aid 26%, Healing 58%, Influence 40%, Insight 53%, Locale 46%, Musicianship 28%, Native Tongue 78%, Perception 68%, Ride 33%, Sing 25%, Stealth 36%, Survival 55%, Swim 18%, Track 58%, Unarmed 16%, Willpower 50%

Combat Styles: Combat Style (horseback) 26%

There is also this tool if you have Excel:
Character Generator

It will automatically generate the Characteristics, calculate the derived stuff and set skills to their base value.

After that character gen is basically adding 100 points from the skills listed under your culture (Barbarian only in this game), 100 points from your Profession and then 150 as you wish.

You'll see the distinction Professional vs Standard skills. If you don't put points into a Standard skill you have its base percentage value determined by your characteristics, if you don't put points into a Professional skill you're considered not to have it at all.

This pdf contains the details of making a character:
Character Workbook

Last edited:
I didn't put in any passions or equipment yet
No worries, equipment will be picked up in game mostly. Due to the way wealth worked legally I'm not going to bother to much with actual CP, SP etc at this point. Typical Passions will be a fairly short list, though you can have your own. I'll go into Passions once everybody has their character.

Yep I am aware. I followed the Mythras Imperative rules, which differ a bit from the core rules. No restrictions on needing to put cultural points in everything, etc. I still capped it at 15 points per set of points as per Mythras core out of habit.

Passions mostly didn’t happen because I was a bit tired and couldn’t think of anything I wanted to put in.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back