(Interest Check) Original Dungeons & Dragons Play-by-Post

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm posable. And your gif is broken. Go be a DM big D
Roger. Wilco. Going to try to sleep in a moment...will break out the books ASAP and set something up. I already have a bit of an idea that hopefully doesn't suck rotten eggs.

Last edited:
Well, if Bunch Bunch is game, I can give it a shot. Doc Sammy Doc Sammy, are you going to have the time to participate?

I should be able to have the time to participate. My schedule is pretty open right now.

It was hectic a week or so ago, but now things have quieted down a lot.

I should be able to have the time to participate. My schedule is pretty open right now.

It was hectic a week or so ago, but now things have quieted down a lot.
Roll up your guy! I'll post the in-character thread probably later today. I have my OD&D and AD&D books in my vehicle so I can peruse them at lunch. Random tables, methinks, will be order of the day. Also note: I don't worry about "balanced" encounters, so sometimes you may want to avoid or flee rather than engage in combat: use your wits, not your hits! But if anybody dies, just roll up another guy and we'll justify his sudden appearance.

Character Name: Raymond "Ray" Lane
Race: Human
Class: Fighting Man
Appearance: SyaoranTsubasa.jpg
Level: 1

Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Wisdom: 9
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 13
Charisma: 11

Starting Gold: 80 GP

Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Light Crossbow, Case of 30 Quarrels, Leather Backpack, Waterskin, 14 GP

Spells: None

Alignment: Lawful
Hit Points: 7 (1d6+1)
Armor Class: 7

Current XP: 0

I tend to prefer that PCs know each other at least a little at the start. It skips the whole "Gee, can I trust this guy?" stuff that often follows otherwise, and it gives a basic reason why they'd be adventuring together.

I tend to prefer that PCs know each other at least a little at the start. It skips the whole "Gee, can I trust this guy?" stuff that often follows otherwise, and it gives a basic reason why they'd be adventuring together.
Oh fine you people and your requirement for reason and rationale. Works for me.

Since all the PCs are fighting-men, I'm going to spin it more in a sword & sorcery weird fantasy direction. Should be posting after lunch, most likely.

Since all the PCs are fighting-men, I'm going to spin it more in a sword & sorcery weird fantasy direction. Should be posting after lunch, most likely.

Sounds awesome!

Now if Ray ends up dead for whatever reason, I might play a Cleric as a backup character.

That being said, I'm looking forward to developing Ray as a character overall.

Elven fighting men can cast spells correct?

I can see Balin finding Aldon interesting because Aldon was able to exercise in a more intellectually challenging environment than I beat people to death with a hammer path Balin was encouraged to go down.

Elven fighting men can cast spells correct?

I can see Balin finding Aldon interesting because Aldon was able to exercise in a more intellectually challenging environment than I beat people to death with a hammer path Balin was encouraged to go down.
I'm new to OD&D (I started with Holmes), but I think it's more like a dual classing type thing:
"Elves can begin as either Fighting-Men or Magic-Users and freely switch class whenever they choose, from adventure to adventure, but not during the course of a single game."
So right, now I'm a fighting man, but I might be able to switch back and forth. Having said that, I'm thinking about sticking mainly (if not exclusively) to fighting-man. I'm down with the low-magic swords-and-sorcery thang ...

"Elves can begin as either Fighting-Men or Magic-Users and freely switch class whenever they choose, from adventure to adventure, but not during the course of a single game."
That is correct. So before each "adventure" you have to choose whether you're a Fighting-Man or a Magic-user. For our purposes, I'd consider the end of adventure to be, for instance, once you've exited a dungeon or completed a goal. Now, if for some reason you decide to return to the same dungeon later, I'd consider that a separate adventure and you'd choose again what class you are for that particular adventure.

Might as well use this as the out-of-character thread...so here are some things your characters know* about their world:
  • The town of Buzău is toward the northern frontier of your civilization. All the large and important cities are far to the south. You seldom hear news from there.
  • Long ago there was a more technologically advanced civilization, but now only remnants remain in the form of bridges, aqueducts, and roads that are far superior to what people are capable of now.
  • The world is a mishmash of kingdoms, duchies, principalities, and city states with loosely defined borders.
  • Men, elves, dwarves, and hobbits mix freely without animosity in most locales. Elves and dwarves have their own kingdoms, usually in the forests and jungles for the former and the mountains and hills for the latter.
  • Magic is real but generally best avoided wherever possible as it is said that witchcraft and wizardry require dealings with malignant entities, evil spirits, and unnatural forces. The elves believe they can use magic without being corrupted, but most other folk ascribe that belief to elvish arrogance.
  • The Old Gods were deposed by your deities long ago, so long ago that their names are mostly forgotten except by scholars or sorcerers, but their malevolence is still feared and it's felt their names are better left unsaid anyway as it's rumored that speaking an Old God's name is the first step to summoning it or calling its attentions to you. Sacrifice of man, elf, dwarf, or hobbit was no taboo to their worshippers. Natural disasters and freak events are often blamed on "the Old Gods stirring in their sleep."
  • The deities of today are generally considered wholesome by comparison, even gods of war and the underworld, though ineffective and remote. (Feel free to invent your own deities, they needn't be any more consistent than those of our own world's myths.)
* In the sense of "believe to be true."

Last edited:
I'm assuming it's OK to use this for OOC player-player discussions as well.
So, folks, Aldon is a good PC to lead some of the CHA-based social stuff IC, but I don't want to dominate such scenes either, so always looking for some input. Any thoughts about whether Aldon should just back off, as the farmers are demanding, or should he try to pump them for more info first?

I'm assuming it's OK to use this for OOC player-player discussions as well.
So, folks, Aldon is a good PC to lead some of the CHA-based social stuff IC, but I don't want to dominate such scenes either, so always looking for some input. Any thoughts about whether Aldon should just back off, as the farmers are demanding, or should he try to pump them for more info first?
I should probably draw folks' attention to the post, since we might not all be keeping an eye on this thread any more. Paging Doc Sammy Doc Sammy and Bunch Bunch !

Driving to the coast today.feel free to be the face man.

I've been busy doing housework all day, so I'll let you take the lead although if you need my help, let me know.

LOL, okay, without input, I'll play it cautious for now, so as not to get us all killed ...

These kids today, prioritizing work and personal responsibilities ahead of pretending to be elves. It's no wonder the world is in such a state!

If we're all fighting men, I'd consider rolling one as well. You seem like a good crew, and I'm curious how Dumarest Dumarest Referees games.

Still thinking, though.

Last edited:
Roll up a guy. Worst that can happen is he gets killed and you quit or roll up his replacement!
The worst thing that can happen is you start to really love the character and campaign only to have the DM get sucked into real life duties for so long he forgets about the game and it dies never realizing it's full potential. You remain forever with a lingering unfulfilled need to see where the character and campaign would have gone. Dying a little inside each day it remains unfulfilled.

That probably won't happen again.

The worst thing that can happen is you start to really love the character and campaign only to have the DM get sucked into real life duties for so long he forgets about the game and it dies never realizing it's full potential. You remain forever with a lingering unfulfilled need to see where the character and campaign would have gone. Dying a little inside each day it remains unfulfilled.
Like I said:
These kids today, prioritizing work and personal responsibilities ahead of pretending to be elves. It's no wonder the world is in such a state!
:goof::eat::dice:

Buy your stuff, name your guy or gal, and come up with how he or she will turn up and be incorporated! There are manifold ways to incorporate your character...here are just a few I thought of without even trying:
  • Son/daughter of one of the farmers
  • Fellow mercenary met on the road
  • Friend of the other PCs who arrived in town late and got directions to where they are now

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back