(Interest Check) Original Dungeons & Dragons Play-by-Post

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm tempted to name him Burig Jr. after my first OD&D character, but won't do that:smile:. Boyan would have to do!
Male and human, of course:wink:!

Plate mail, spear, sword, dagger, 3 javelins, shield, helmet, mail gloves, boots, iron spikes, wolfsbane, rope, waterskin, iron rations, "chestnuts". That should be enough and I think I'm within budget.

Story: former man-at-arms of a baron. Had to run after being caught in the hay with the baron's daughter. Has met some dubious characters while they were visiting, and wouldn't mind meeting them again.

Anything else:tongue:?

I'm tempted to name him Burig Jr. after my first OD&D character, but won't do that:smile:. Boyan would have to do!

Plate mail, spear, sword, dagger, 3 javelins, shield, helmet, mail gloves, boots, iron spikes, wolfsbane, rope, waterskin, iron rations, "chestnuts". That should be enough and I think I'm within budget.

Story: former man-at-arms of a baron. Had to run after being caught in the hay with the baron's daughter. Has met some dubious characters while they were visiting, and wouldn't mind meeting them again.

Math seems okay for your equipment, though I'm not sure what javelins cost as I don't see them on the list. I'd assume no more than a spear. How much gold do you have left?

Also, do you care how I drop you into the current location?

Last edited:

Alignment although I don't know if D cares about that sort of thing.

Alignment although I don't know if D cares about that sort of thing.
Alignment isn't really relevant unless you're a cleric and have to meet certain behavioral standards if you want your deity to perform magic through you. Your alignment is really determined by the choices you make in the game. And people in the game will respond to you based on your actions or your reputation.

Alignment always slips my mind and it would be Neutral or Lawful, anyway:smile:. Probably Neutral, knowing the source material that Alignment is actually based on.

Also, pastries and kids always win for me. Just sayin':grin:!

Updated: Plate mail, spear, sword, dagger, 3 javelins, shield, helmet, iron spikes, 3 stakes and a mallet, wolfsbane, rope, waterskin, normal rations for a week, flask of oil, backpack, 6 torches.

And that's it. Unless the javelins come at a discount, say 3 for 1 or 2 GP, I've got no money:grin:!
Just a note: the dagger is much more ornamented than the rest of his weapons, though it's got a good combat-quality blade. The reason: it's a gift from Isabela, the baron's more-than-willing daughter...
And it's not that Boian would have minded to do the right thing. The baron didn't offer him the option to marry her.

Yes, I'm sure the Referee is enjoying the plot hooks now... :tongue:

And BTW, that's the first time I play an OD&D Fighting Man who isn't butt-ugly:shade:!

In all seriousness, can we come up with a standard way to type IC? I don't see the need for all the bold, especially if we're not all doing it, and I find it a bit unpleasant visually.

I support unifying the standards:smile:.

Regarding the boldface, I've come to see it as useful, especially for the Referee. This way, if you come to the forum and have 10 posts to read (say, when you're referGMing and the players had a chat), you know what was said, what was just somebody's thoughts, and what was actions.
And if you forget what happened in an earlier scene, you can check the thread much more easily:wink:.

I find quotation marks work well for identifying what was said. ;)
It's up to you guys and not a huge deal, but I will say that I find reading your posts more difficult, which will probably result in my reading them less carefully, or even less often. FWIW, YMMV, etc.

If formatting impacts your interest so much, I'll have to live with less interest, I guess:smile:.
For now, I'll just wait for the GM to set the unified rules.

Personally I prefer quotation marks for words actually spoken by a character.

If you want to break out personal thoughts and contemplations, I find it works best to put those in italics. That way there's no mistaking it for something said aloud.

(I've seen people try different-colored text to separate things but that mainly hurts my eyes, especially when someone thinks yellow on a white background is somehow legible.)

I am using quotations with the bold:smile:.

But I'll stick to this format, since you prefer it. Makes absolutely no difference to me, the bold is just the format I was used to in forum games.

Guys, I advise you to remember that Dumarest Dumarest likes 1001 nights:smile:.

I also like the old Ray Harryhausen Sinbad, Clash of the Titans, and Jason and the Argonauts movies and think Conan the Destroyer is one of the best sword-and-sorcery movies ever made :thumbsup: even if it has naught to do with Robert E. Howard's stories. The main concession to D&D tropes in this game as far as I know is elves, hobbits, and dwarves larking about. But I use a lot of random rolls :dice:, so who knows what might lurk in this dungeon, that forest, these marshes, or those caverns? :devil: :skeleton:

My point was to not underestimate the importance of having sacrificial bulls:smile:.

Dwarven bullrider it is!

Sacrificial bulls, sacrificial dwarves, whatever works!

Is anyone lightly armoured, so we could appoint him to be our sneak...I mean, our avant-guard:smile:?

Balin is in leather.
He's short, has dark vision.

Balin is in leather.
He's short, has dark vision.
I'd vote Balin for the role, then:grin:! (But you decide).
Boyan isn't nearly as inconspicuous, standing around 180 cm and being in a plate armour.

For ease of use, character summaries in one place:
Level 1
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighting-Man
Title: Veteran
Alignment: Lawful

STR: 9
INT: 14 (+4)
WIS: 14
CON: 6 (-1)
DEX: 12
CHA: 7 (Max Hirelings: 3 Loyalty Base: +0)

HP: 6
AC: 6
XP Bonus: None
Saving Throws:
Death Ray or Poison: 10
Wands: 11
Stone: 12
Dragon Breath: 13
Staves & Spells: 14

Languages:
Dwarvish, Kobold, Gnomish, Goblin, Common, Dragonic, Orc, Elvish, Hobbitish, Dwarfsign (nonverbal)

Armor: Leather
Shield: Yes
Helm: None

Weapons:
Sword
Sling

Equipment:
6 torches
leather back pack
large sack
water/wine skin
1 week iron rations
50' of rope
5 flasks oil
15 GP
Pouch & 20 stones
Race: Elf
Alignment: Neutral
Level: 1 (Veteran)
Current XP: 0
XP Bonus: +5%

Strength: 13
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 11
Dexterity: 11
Constitution: 11
Charisma: 14 (max hirelings 5, +1 loyalty base)

Armor Class: 4
Hit Points: 5

Saving Throws:
Death Ray or Poison: 12
Wands: 13
Stone: 14
Dragon Breath: 15
Staves & Spells: 16

Languages: Common, Elvish, Orc, Hobgoblin, Gnoll

Armor: Chain Mail, Shield, Helm
Weapons: Sword
GP: 20
Equipment: TBD
Spells: N/A
Race: Human

Level: 1
Alignment: Lawful
Hit Points: 7
Armor Class: 7
Current XP: 0

Strength: 10
Intelligence: 7
Wisdom: 9
Dexterity: 13
Constitution: 13
Charisma: 11

Equipment:
Sword
Leather Armor
Shield
Light Crossbow
Case of 30 Quarrels
Leather Backpack
Waterskin
14 GP

Spells: None
Human
Male
Fighting-Man
Level 1
Hit Points: 6
XP: 0

Str 16
Int 10
Wis 13
Dex 10
Con 8
Cha 12

Equipment:
Plate mail
spear
sword
dagger
3 javelins
Shield
Helmet
iron spikes
3 stakes and a mallet
wolfsbane
Rope
waterskin
1 week normal rations
1flask of oil
backpack
6 torches

Made my newest in-character post today.

Also, I've decided that Layaway Ray Lane is a stereotypical Canadian, or a fantasy equivalent thereof.

Specifically, he's from some fantasy version of Nova Scotia and the Maritime Provinces.

I don't know why, but I think it fits. Assuming Dumarest is okay with that. It would explain why he ends every other sentence with "Eh?"

Made my newest in-character post today.

Also, I've decided that Layaway Ray Lane is a stereotypical Canadian, or a fantasy equivalent thereof.

Specifically, he's from some fantasy version of Nova Scotia and the Maritime Provinces.

I don't know why, but I think it fits. Assuming Dumarest is okay with that. It would explain why he ends every other sentence with "Eh?"
Doc Sammy Doc Sammy, how you portray Layaway Ray is entirely your prerogative.

If Iron Spikes can be used to hold a door closed, as they repeatedly have been used to do in many old-school games, they should be able to pry one open:smile:!
Right?

If Iron Spikes can be used to hold a door closed, as they repeatedly have been used to do in many old-school games, they should be able to pry one open:smile:!
Right?
You could certainly try it and see what happens! :dice: :devil: :angel:

You could certainly try it and see what happens! :dice: :devil: :angel:
Actually, Old Geezer gave me the idea long ago. He said that when some players realized all weapons do 1d6 damage, they started arming their PCs with iron spikes instead of daggers:smile:.

Also, I couldn't access Orokos.com in the next couple of days, could someone roll for me, please?

Last edited:
Actually, Old Geezer gave me the idea long ago. He said that when some players realized all weapons do 1d6 damage, they started arming their PCs with iron spikes instead of daggers:smile:.

Also, I couldn't access Orokos.com in the next couple of days, could someone roll for me, please?
D20=10

Thank you:smile:.
Dex=10, so with the GM's penalty, it's a failure. Ah well, we'll see whether the roc is extra hungry and whether it accepts canned foods:wink:.

Out this weekend at camp with the oldest boy. Internet access will be spotty at best.

Out this weekend at camp with the oldest boy. Internet access will be spotty at best.
:thumbsup:
Once Doc Sammy Doc Sammy posts what Layaway Ray is doing, I can determine results for him and Bayon.

If you want to read the "For Aldon's Eyes" bit you can now that you're inside with him, as it applies to dwarves as well as elves.

We'll pick up whenever you're able to. :dice:

Just in case I didn't mention it earlier, I am trying to stick to OD&D books 1 through 3 wherever possible, but for anything not covered there (which is a lot!) I may use OD&D books 4 through 7, 1st edition AD&D, or Basic/Expert (red box/blue box), or just a judgment call.

So, basically, how we played circa 1983!

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back