Interest Check: Pick a game from my shelf! (PbP) (EDIT: Star Frontiers chosen!)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Toric

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
EDIT: Star Frontiers has been chosen. I have three confirmed players at this point. If anyone else is interested in Star Frontiers, I'll take up to two more players or so.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I recently decided to change up some bookshelf contents and I now have most of my old boxed set games in said shelf and out of storage from the basement. Given that in-person gaming has pretty much dried up due to virus concerns and doesn't appear to be on the table (no pun intended) for awhile still, I'm looking to run a PbP game of one of these old games. Additionally, even when gaming in-person, my time is limited to about once every other week, and I have way too many games for many of them to ever see any action. Starting up a new PbP of a game I hardly ever get to play or haven't played in years seems like a good idea.

My plan, unorthodox as it is, is to post a picture of my shelf and let anyone here interested in joining a PbP game pick 1-5 games that they'd be interested in playing. Maybe rank them from 1st to 3rd or 1st to 5th or however many you choose as possibilities. I'd only ask that anyone actually interested in playing a PbP game reply as I know the PbP crowd here is relatively small in relation to the population of the Pub and I don't want everyone just voting for favorite games but not have actual interest in playing in a PbP game.

I'll wait a few days to a week for votes, discussion, etc. and then tally up games with the most votes and make a decision from there. I don't guarantee anything! If there is no clear favorite, I'll just have to choose one. If one gets a lot of votes but after really looking at it I decide it won't work well in PbP, I might have to default to a second or third choice.

I'm looking at this as something akin to a group of friends coming over and pulling a couple games off my shelf and asking me to run one of them. It gives anyone and everyone interested in joining a PbP game a voice in picking the game. It might backfire spectacularly if say six people reply and all ask for different games! But that's okay.

It just so happens that I believe I have time to actually start TWO PbP games using this method of selection. So once I get one off the ground, I might run a second as well.

Anyone voting for a game can feel free to throw in requests for a particular theme of the game in question, the sort of style they'd like the game to be. And since I am trying to settle on a game to run by group consensus, I haven't made any decisions on what sort of adventure will be run or any style of game in particular. For many of these games, I have supplemental material (not pictured) including adventures and such. I reserve the right to run a published adventure or something of my own creation at my discretion.

I would be looking for a posting rate of 2 or 3 per week. Not too slow, not ridiculously fast. Right in the middle, fast enough to keep it moving, not too fast so people can't keep up.

This is by no means my entire game collection. But I am only considering running the games that are pictured here. I have removed a few games that are already being run here at the Pub as I don't necessarily want to double up. That said, I think there is still one game pictured that is being run here currently.

Without further ado, here is the shelf of games in question:

IMG_0461.jpeg
IMG_0462.jpeg
IMG_0464.jpeg

And three others that aren't on the shelf but will be shortly as they are on the way to me:

pic506681.jpg9780943580500-us.jpgPsi_World,_boxed_set.jpg

Yeah, these are mostly boxed sets. What can I say, I love 'em!

So any interest? And if not, that's okay too. I'm well-aware this might be a dumb idea that just doesn't work because it is too broad. I have seen people do a poll for a few different games or adventures to run PbP but never seen anyone open up a shelf of games.

Last edited:
  • Golden Heroes
  • Crime Fighter
  • DC Heroes
  • Champions
  • Chill

Also would enjoy:
  • Mercenaries, Spies & Private Eyes
  • Merc
  • James Bond 007
  • Star Frontiers
  • Star Wars

Not my fault you acquire games based on my preferences. I'll also go for Daredevils.

Well... technically, many of these I have had for years, some are recent acquisitions and some I had years ago and recently re-acquired. I can't help it if you're old like me and like all this old stuff too! :hehe:

I forgot one other game that is a recent acquisition. Runequest. Can do either 2nd or Deluxe 3rd published by Avalon Hill.

md30219756007.jpgRQ2_front_cover_900_wide__57607.1457569307.1280.1280__91579.1471882502.jpg

1. MSPI
  2. RQ heard a million things about it, but never played. We talking back in the 80's

Two votes for Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes
One vote for twelve other games

I'll leave this open for another week or so to see if anyone else comes along with an interest in playing something.

Merc
Shatterzone
Swordbearer
Star Frontiers
MSPE

Golden Heroes
DC Heroes
Star Frontiers
CHILL

If a tiebreaker is needed:
Mercenaries, Spies, etc.

3 votes for MSPE (4 with Silverlion’s tiebreaker)
3 votes for Star Frontiers
2 votes for Merc, Chill, Golden Heroes and DC Heroes
1 vote for 8 other games

Honestly, I adore Star Frontiers so dang much. :grin: But I wanted to get a chance at MSPE too.

I picked MSPI because it is kin to Tunnels & Trolls.

Ive been watching and reading A LOT of westerns lately. I also started watching serious Noir on Perry Mason. So PLEASE hit me with some MSPI!

So at this point, it's been about 72 hours since I posted this thread. I had intended to leave it for a few more days in case any stragglers come along.

That said, we have Star Frontiers and MSPE tied with 3 votes, but a technical 4th vote for MSPE from Silverlion in the event a tie-breaker was needed.

MSPE is a pretty broad game in that it can handle pretty much late-1800's Sherlock Holmes to modern day thrillers and espionage adventures. It can do 1920's and 30's detective action, pulp lost world adventures, Cold War spies, Able Team/Phoenix Force mercenary adventures and plenty of other stuff.

Of those that said they'd be interested in playing MSPE (Dumarest, Silverlion, Valdus and Bunch), IF I were to choose MSPE, what sort of game or games would you be interested in playing? In other words, Mercenaries, Spies or Private Eyes? :hehe: And in what era would you prefer to play? I don't think I'd wanna start an 1800's game. I'd be for say the 1920's to the present day, somewhere in there.

Where the heck is Gringnr Gringnr? He's a big MSPE guy I believe.

I'm good with Modern, or any other time period. Thought it might be neat to play a team of detectives in the 1800's. I prefer Spies or Private Eyes. I was thinking Mission Impossible (TV series) honestly :grin:

Gringnr Gringnr has said he is recovering from surgery in his T&T game

I could do 1880’s to Noir, maybe with some sick magic?

Ideally for me 1920-1936. I think of that as pulp and MSPE seems pulpy to me. But I would try anything.

Star Frontiers would be my second choice.

Of those that said they'd be interested in playing MSPE (Dumarest, Silverlion, Valdus and Bunch), IF I were to choose MSPE, what sort of game or games would you be interested in playing? In other words, Mercenaries, Spies or Private Eyes? :hehe: And in what era would you prefer to play? I don't think I'd wanna start an 1800's game. I'd be for say the 1920's to the present day, somewhere in there.
I think you'd be better off deciding what you'd like to run and be comfortable running so you don't end up trying to please everyone at the expense of your own fun.

I don't have a strong preference as I've never read or played the game and don't know what it does best. I enjoy tales of mercenaries, spies, and private eyes! For an era I prefer 1920s-1950s. But really of the premise sounds fun none of the rest matters.
Where the heck is Gringnr Gringnr? He's a big MSPE guy I believe.
He may be busy with real-life stuff. Also I heard he's much shorter in person than he seems online.

You guys are all over the place! :wink:

Mission Impossible TV series would indicate mid-1960's unless you're just thinking in that style and set later?

Two mentions of 1880's. Interesting time, Sherlock Holmes era... but probably not something I'd really wanna do myself.

Noir is a pretty broad genre, could indicate many things. I personally think Continental Op, Phillip Marlowe, stories from the old Black Mask pulp.

1920-1936 is traditionally thought of when someone says pulp. There is certainly some crossover to the Noir genre. You can obviously do everything from Doc Savage, The Shadow, and The Phantom to Indiana Jones and some of the types of stuff I mentioned above like Marlowe and the Continental Op.

As for magic, I don't think I'd personally want much or any. Maybe at most some lightly implied supernatural stuff, but for something like this I would prefer mostly keeping full-blown magic out of it.

I think you'd be better off deciding what you'd like to run and be comfortable running so you don't end up trying to please everyone at the expense of your own fun.

I don't have a strong preference as I've never read or played the game and don't know what it does best. I enjoy tales of mercenaries, spies, and private eyes! For an era I prefer 1920s-1950s. But really of the premise sounds fun none of the rest matters.

Yeah, I think the danger of doing an "everyone pick a game and I'll run that" situation can end up with lots of different preferences for games themselves and in the case of some games that do multiple genres or styles of game, you can end up with everyone retreating to their corners of their favorites and ALL of them being different.

For instance, if Behind Enemy Lines had the most votes, you pretty much know you're getting into U.S. soldiers in Europe during WWII. With MSPE, as we see here, things are much broader. Pendragon is knights during King Arthur's day. Crime Fighter is cops, but you have to decide if they are homicide detectives or beat cops or even a mix and then whether you are playing today, in the 1980's or in the 50's.

I'll have to think about what would work best for me from the MSPE options.

Or I could turn to the other game that garnered three votes, Star Frontiers. Sure it's space opera and you can go a lot of directions but it is more focused in tone and style than MSPE which is much more open in those regards.

He may be busy with real-life stuff. Also I heard he's much shorter in person than he seems online.
What he said. Pick what you are excited about. We are all up for a ride. I think.

Heck, with all the 1920s to 1940s preference, I should have tossed Gangbusters onto the shelf too. That game handles private detectives in that time period just fine. Only didn’t include it in the initial post because it was in a different basement box and I forgot I had it. :grin:

I always thought T&T/MSPE hybrid would work great for a Bureau 13 game.

Or I could turn to the other game that garnered three votes, Star Frontiers. Sure it's space opera and you can go a lot of directions but it is more focused in tone and style than MSPE which is much more open in those regards.
I call dibs on playing a Dralasite. :hehe:
DralasiteDrinking.png

I want to play a Vrusk, favorite race to play. But that's assuming we switch to that. Despite their description, I always saw Dralasites as being bright colors like Gleep? On Herculoids. So I just ruled some dyed themselves in bright colors to add individuality

Last edited:
Fine I'll be a Yazarian.

After some thought, I think I'm inclined to go with Star Frontiers. As stated in the initial post, I might be down for starting a second game soon as well. But for the first one, Star Frontiers sounds like a good plan. It has the added benefit that I haven't gotten to play it in years and it's an old favorite.

I had thought about waiting a few more days for additional votes from others but I realize that the PbP player pool here is fairly small and many of the usual suspects are playing in or running more than one game already and might be stretched thin enough at the current time. As stated, I'm looking for two or three posts a week which is probably manageable for most.

I believe we have three who initially threw votes at Star Frontiers (Dumarest, Silverlion and Bunch). That is plenty to run the game. If any others wish to play, I'd take up to a couple more.

I'll need a week or so to prepare, but those who are planning to play can feel free to use the Alpha Dawn Expanded rules to generate characters. Loose premise is flying around the frontier exploring new planets, troubleshooting for patrons (one of the large corporations maybe), and generally getting into mischief. I'll have something slightly more concrete shortly. Feel free to make suggestions within that loose premise as well.

Looks like an alien group with one of each! Unless someone else comes along and plays a human. But that isn't necessary at all.

I'm Ixitik X'itac, (ICKS it IK EKS I tak), Icksy for short, or Dr. X was raised under the Galaxia Hegemony Corporation but chose to go adventuring. He's Medic/Psychiatrist all in one! I couldn't afford much gear just a blanket, food, water, and a Needler (plus the freebie Medkit.) He's 1.52 Meters Tall and Long and weighs 86 Kilograms. Attached is a form fillable PC sheet. Though the third page is screwy. I suspect to the GM can read it when on a table.

I might swap the Psychology aspect for Military: Laser Pistol (I adore lasers, I'm just odd) but I like pew pew. Whatcha think?

Attachments

• Ixit.pdf
    280.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I wonder if I can find my Dralasite and Vrusk art...hrms. Any suggestions of if I should take a weapon skill?

Is there a retroclone for SF?

For years it was allowed to be freely given away. Only in the last year or two have they started charging. Are you sure you didn't download it a while back?

Now I'm expecting to see a hand-drawn Dralasite portrait to accompany your character! :wink:
Actually I was thinking of playing a human inspired by Stella Star instead...I could try drawing her if you want character portraits.
hdxoyk0vya521.jpg
Loose premise is flying around the frontier exploring new planets, troubleshooting for patrons (one of the large corporations maybe), and generally getting into mischief.
This works for me.

Are we rolling up PCs now?

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back