Interest Check: Stormbringer

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Stevethulhu

Studiously Indifferent
Reaction score
Ok, I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to forum games, having played a couple that fizzled and never having run one. But what the hell, let's take a chance!

That said, I found some old notes about a game based on the Iron Maiden album, The Book of Souls. And thought, what the hell, why not?

So, Stormbringer. I'd be using the Games Workshop edition for my reference, but it's identical to 1st plus the Companion.

TL;DR: in no particular order, Moorcock, metal, old school not D&D.

Cool, I've no book, but I can roll dice if you tell me what I get from those rolls? (For chargen) I did make a Melnibonean hunter when I had a very sadly used copy. But gave it to a friend who loved it so much even in its rough shape.

Would love to but I have enough games going right now, would be very interested in the future!

Cool, I've no book, but I can roll dice if you tell me what I get from those rolls? (For chargen) I did make a Melnibonean hunter when I had a very sadly used copy. But gave it to a friend who loved it so much even in its rough shape.
Character generations is extremely Random. Roll stats, roll your race, roll your class.

Once that is done, it's a BRP system, so very easy in play.

How close is it to 1st or 2nd edition?

Alright so I know there is What I know stats:
I don't have my COC book darn it.

Str 13 physical dice/ Computer 14
Dex 14/11
Con 14/12
Siz? 16/17
IQ? 17/18
Pow 16/16
Race? 02 /08
Class? 01/66
Other? 100/36

Note: I used my dice with the Elder Sign on them they tend to be lucky for me (just d6es though)--friend bought em for Arkham rolled all 1's, I picked up and managed 5's-6es, they're not loaded, but they do roll well, I can use an e-roller or other dice if that's crazy high. I'll be honest, I like those dice for symbology for Stormbringer :grin: (I also have a 1 which is fade off the die come up regularly so I laugh at that too)

Anything else I need to roll?
Since I don't have a book choose the stats and profession/race that work best for those rolls or whatever. Went back and had a computer roll, also if ya like just roll for me. I'm not difficult :grin:

Last edited:
I have the 4th edition (the one with the Whelan cover). Would that be close enough to use?

Dex 14/11
Con 14/12
Siz? 16/17
IQ? 17/18
Pow 16/16
Race? 02 /08
Class? 01/66
Other? 100/36

Note: I used my dice with the Elder Sign on them they tend to be lucky for me (just d6es though)--friend bought em for Arkham rolled all 1's, I picked up and managed 5's-6es, they're not loaded, but they do roll well, I can use an e-roller or other dice if that's crazy high. I'll be honest, I like those dice for symbology for Stormbringer :grin: (I also have a 1 which is fade off the die come up regularly so I laugh at that too)

Since I don't have a book choose the stats and profession/race that work best for those rolls or whatever. Went back and had a computer roll, also if ya like just roll for me. I'm not difficult :grin:
This one will get back to in a little bit. I want to check which stats are 3d6 and which are 2d6+6 and if theres any variation from CoC.

There will be rolls for stat adjustments by race. Theres a lot of dice rolling involved!

This one will get back to in a little bit. I want to check which stats are 3d6 and which are 2d6+6 and if theres any variation from CoC.
In 4th ed it's straight 3d6 for all primary attributes.

Azla

STR 14
CON 13
SIZ 8
INT 11
POW 8
DEX 9
CHR 9

HP 12

Height 5'2"
Weight 120 lbs

Ability Bonuses
Attack +1%
Parry +2%
Damage ---
Agility +2%
Manipulation +1%
Perception -1%
Stealth +1%
Knowledge ---
Communication -1%

Nationality: Argimiliar (no modifiers)
Background: Sailor

Starting Skills
Broadsword Attack 51%
Broadsword Parry 52%
Swim 62%
Tie Knot 81%
Climb 52%
Climb Rigging 87%
Balance 59%
Navigation 80%

Other Skills
Dagger Attack 27%
Dagger Parry 14%
Move Quietly 13%
Hide 32%
Tumble 3%
Balance 29%
Sing 29%

Possessions
Broadsword (1d8+1)
Dagger (1d4+2)
Clothing
Leather Armor (1d6-1)
15 SS, 31 LB (on person)
9 MS, 13 LG, 7 SG, 12 LS (hidden in secret compartment in quarters on ship)

Sailor or Pirate.jpg

(finding an image for a female non-pirate sailor is almost impossible - given her CHR, this is her on a really good day)

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. LIfe, don'
t talk to me about life. And posting from a phone has certain limits, too. But now I'm on a laptop!

Dex 14/11
Con 14/12
Siz? 16/17
IQ? 17/18
Pow 16/16
Race? 02 /08
Class? 01/66
Other? 100/36

Looks like we have a Melnibonean. Or possibly a Myrrhyn.

If Melnibone is your choice, roll 1d10 and add it to INT, 2d6 to POW and 3 to SIZ. You are automatically a Warrior-Noble and if your INT+POW is over 32, you're a Sorceror, too.

Or you could have wings. Add 1d6 to INT, POW and CHA, - 3 to SIZ unless it's below 9.

In 4th ed it's straight 3d6 for all primary attributes.

Azla

STR 14
CON 13
SIZ 8
INT 11
POW 8
DEX 9
CHR 9

HP 12

Height 5'2"
Weight 120 lbs

Ability Bonuses
Attack +1%
Parry +2%
Damage ---
Agility +2%
Manipulation +1%
Perception -1%
Stealth +1%
Knowledge ---
Communication -1%

Nationality: Argimiliar (no modifiers)

Background: Sailor

Starting Skills
Broadsword Attack 41%
Broadsword Parry 42%
Swim 52%
Tie Knot 71%
Climb 42%
Climb Rigging 77%
Balance 49%

Other Skills
Dagger Attack* 27%
Dagger Parry* 14%
Move Quietly*13%
Hide* 32%
Tumble 3%
Balance* 29%
Sing 29%

*Book says to round fractions up, dice roller rounded down, modified accordingly

Possessions
Broadsword
Dagger
32 LB

(can't find cost for leather armor)

Dice rolls

View attachment 18605

(finding an image for a female non-pirate sailor is almost impossible - given her CHR, this is her on a really good day)
I don't see why you shouldn't start with leather armour.

Nice, pic, too. And since there's a Melibonean been rolled up, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have a ship, too.

Sorry once again for the delay. It's been one of those weeks.

We've got two characters ready to go. Azla can have a ship to balance the relative power a little. A cog with a crew of 25 and a 75 ton cargo capacity will go a long way towards that. And allow for introducing new characters if and when it becomes relevant.

If you're ready, I can set up the IC and OOC threads.

Sorry for the late response. I'm ready at pretty much any time.

That said, if Azla is the owner of a ship does that mean she picks up the extra char-gen perks for being a captain (navigation skill, extra starting funds)?

Sorry for the late response. I'm ready at pretty much any time.

That said, if Azla is the owner of a ship does that mean she picks up the extra char-gen perks for being a captain (navigation skill, extra starting funds)?
Sure, I don't have a problem with that.

Sure, I don't have a problem with that.
Noted, and updated.

I finally found the cost for leather armor (100 lb) and given her increased starting funds it only seemed fair to pay for it.

Noted, and updated.

I finally found the cost for leather armor (100 lb) and given her increased starting funds it only seemed fair to pay for it.
It doesnt seem like something a ship captain should be without if you ask me. Starting with appropriate equipment is somethin I'm right alongside.

So what would Azla know of Valric? Melnibonean or Myrrhan? Noble? Spellcaster? Something else?

Probably an estranged noble, who is odd, and carries himself like he loves to travel, and knows which end of a weapon to hit people with, he keeps the spellcasting/sorcery secret, but not his allegiance to the Elemental Lord of Air.
As for knowing his Melnibonean, that depends on if she'd seen others at some point.

Ok, it's time to set up an OOC thread.

Edit: And here it is!

Last edited:
I thought for a moment this was based on the Stormlight Archive series

I thought for a moment this was based on the Stormlight Archive series
Fraid not, It's based on an early edition of this

Which, while not being a perfect Moorcock simulator, is a fun and highly chaotic old school dark fantasy game. From before 'dark' meant 'grimdark.'

And there's plenty of room for more players.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back