(Interest Check) X-Men: 1970-75

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Oculus Orbus

Well-Known Pubber
Reaction score
I'm considering running a campaign for the original X-Men set during the 5-year gap between X-Men #65 and Giant-Size X-Men #1, which introduced the "All-New, All-Different" X-Men.
This period was the subject of the ill-fated "X-Men: The Hidden Years" comic and I thought it would make for an interesting sandbox to play in. This would be a continuity-native game, free of any retcons or history revisions (so, for instance, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are still mutants here) and would follow directly from the comic as organically as possible and won't use X-Men: THY's storyline at all.

The available characters, not surprisingly, include:
  • Cyclops - Tommy Brownell
  • Marvel Girl
  • Angel
  • Iceman
  • Beast (both pre- and post-fur)
  • Havok
  • Lorna "Polaris" Dane - tentatively Tulpa Girl
  • Sunfire
Wanda and Pietro (claimed by Dumarest) can be considered backups, filling in when necessary.

So, a pretty narrow focus, I know, but the time period and the unusual restrictions seem like it could make for a fun game. Anyone interested?

Last edited:
Yeah, what game are you using? I wouldn't mind playing Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, or Angel. I should re-read those Roy Thomas-Neal Adams issues to get a handle on the characters.

Actually I'd really love to play Quicksilver because...
cusack-asshole.gif

Haha! I'm glad you mentioned that, because I was just thinking that the "classic" X-men related character who's a bigger prick than Quicksilver, is the one I forgot to list- Sunfire. So, consider him up for grabs, as well.

As far as what system I'd use... well, I was kinda just putting this all together for my own amusement and used the completely new, unshitty third edition of Supergame. I'd originally tried this idea out for MSHAG way back when, but apparently my rulebooks have vanished, otherwise I'd probably use that. MSH is a possibility, too. I'm flexible.

I have the original Supergame (a reprint) but have never gotten around to reading it, let alone playing it, but I'm game for whatever works for you.

Let me get my Quicksilver persona ready:
  1. Be touchy for no good reason
  2. Be overly possessive of my sister
  3. Throw a fit at the drop of a hat
  4. Boast about my unparalleled speed
  5. Resent mistreatment of mutantkind
  6. Point out everyone else's flaws
Got it. Good to go!

(Also, if you ever want to run an Alpha Flight game I can drop Quicksilver's #5 and replace it with "Refuse to speak English so I can inconvenience those who don't speak French" to play Northstar.)

The newest incarnation of Supergame (as of 2017) shares only its name with the original. In fact, the new one is actually a different game altogether called Universal Superheroes with the "Supergame" name tacked onto it. Go figure.

Edit: corrected a word

Last edited:
I would be interested, depending on system, in playing Polaris.

Nice! I see you're the "additional material" guy. What does that include?

Chapter 4, the Stories chapter, with a few tweaks by Brett. (I wrote it completely system agnostic and he tweaked it for Supergame specifically.)

Chapter 4, the Stories chapter, with a few tweaks by Brett. (I wrote it completely system agnostic and he tweaked it for Supergame specifically.)
I have to admit, being an old hand at rpgs and comics, that I only skimmed that section, but now I have a reason to give it a closer look. :shade:
Can I assume you have some experience playing Supergame, then?

None. That's part of why it was system agnostic. I knew nothing about the system while I was writing it.

Any preferences? Like I said, I'm flexible (although I'm leaning slightly toward Supergame at this point)
My first preference is toward MSH, but the pdf for Supergame is cheap enough that I would be willing to give that system a try.

Because I don't have any familiarity with Supergame, what are the stats and attributes like? Do you have any of the X-men statted out yet, and if so can we maybe get a sneak peek at what the characters might look like?

Because I don't have any familiarity with Supergame, what are the stats and attributes like? Do you have any of the X-men statted out yet, and if so can we maybe get a sneak peek at what the characters might look like?
Yes. You have to give me a minute to put it in a box for ya. Then I'll send it right over.

Yes. You have to give me a minute to put it in a box for ya. Then I'll send it right over.
I'd appreciate it, if it's not too much bother. Sometimes seeing a character sheet, even if I don't know anything about the system in question, sometimes gives me a feel for whether or not it's a game I would want to get into.

Okay, after some thought I've decided to go with Basic MSH Revised. Everyone loves it and most of the heavy lifting has been done for me already, so I'd be kinda dumb not to take advantage of it, right? Supergame is nifty and all, but if nothing else I don't have to teach it to anybody.

Having said that, Tulpa Girl, I'll still post a couple of Supergame X-Men just to see how they compare.

Also, I'd like to hold out for at least one more player before forging ahead with this, since so far we only have one member of the original team actually in the mix. Worst case scenario, you guys could play two characters? If you're up for it.

Also, I'd like to hold out for at least one more player before forging ahead with this, since so far we only have one member of the original team actually in the mix. Worst case scenario, you guys could play two characters? If you're up for it.
I would be okay with also playing Jean.

(as Silver Age female Marvel heroes, it's not like there's a whole lot of actual characterization that I would have to keep track of)

Last edited:
Revised MSH was the one with the Hulk and other heroes busting through a brick wall on the cover, yes?

And apparently Marvel even considered the name of the comic poisonous, since it took them around 40 years use it again. :sick:
Or the factual version: Marvel let the trademark lapse and another publisher used the name, thereby preventing Marvel from using it for around 40 years. :shade:

Tommy Brownell Tommy Brownell

Here's Cyclops' write-up from the Uncanny X-Men boxed set. I think that he should be somewhat more effective, but I wanted to give you a chance to chime in before I have a go at it. There may be something I've overlooked.

CYCLOPS
Scott "Slim" Summers

F TY
A GD
S TY
E EX
R GD
I EX
P EX

Health: 42 Karma: 50
Resources: PR Popularity: 0

KNOWN POWERS
Optic Blast: EX damage, two area range. Cyclops cannot control this damage and affects all targets in his line of sight.
Partial Invulnerability: Cyclops cannot be hurt by the reflection of his own eye-beams or by the energy blasts of his brother, Havok. He can be
slammed and stunned by these beams.
EQUIPMENT: Cyclops' eyeblasts are uncontrollable, functioning whenever his eyes are open. He wears a set of ruby lenses which allow him to use his blasts as described above.
TALENTS: Student.
GROUPS: Leader of the X-Men.
IN BRIEF: These stats represent Scott Summers' abilities when he was recruited by Prof. X to be team leader of the X-Men.

Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl

Marvel Girl coming soon and I'd like your input.
Well, I'm no expert on the characters in this particular timeframe - what knowledge I do have comes from having checked out copies of the Essential collections from my local library.

Also, wasn't there a time travel adventure with stats for a lot of characters as they appeared in the early 60s? That might be a good place to start, with their ability ratings somewhere between those listings and what was written up for them in the 80s.

Well, I'm no expert on the characters in this particular timeframe - what knowledge I do have comes from having checked out copies of the Essential collections from my local library.

Also, wasn't there a time travel adventure with stats for a lot of characters as they appeared in the early 60s? That might be a good place to start, with their ability ratings somewhere between those listings and what was written up for them in the 80s.
I'm using the write-ups in the Uncanny X-Men boxed set. Some of the characters changed enough over time to merit more than one entry. Lucky for me, that's only 2 or 3 characters. The rest, like Iceman, are essentially unchanged. Within the original run, only Jean had any substantial change when Xavier the final barriers from her mind. This was expressed in the comic as Prof. "loaning" Jean some of his powers, which I think we can all agree was kinda stupid. For the record, that went down in X-Men 43.

I'll get the stats for both Lorna and Jean up for you sometime today.

Here's Lorna as of X-Men #66-

Lorna Dane

F TY
A GD
S TY
E GD
R GD
I EX
P GD
Health: 36 Karma: 40
Resources: TY Popularity: 0

KNOWN POWERS:
Magnetism: IN ability, 10 area range.
She has used the following power stunts:
  • Inflict up to IN damage to mechanical constructs.
  • Manipulate ferrous objects with IN range and strength.
  • Attack a target by levitating and throwing metallic objects with IN accuracy. Lorna can inflict damage up to the strength of the material the object is made of.
  • Ensnare an opponent with the metal's material strength rank.
Magnetic Detection: Polaris can detect movement within magnetic lines of force, and is able to detect invisible or disguised creatures with IN ability.
TALENTS: Geophysics .
GROUPS: A member of the X-Men.
IN BRIEF : A latent mutant whose powers were fully developed by Mesmero and the robot Magneto, Lorna fights alongside the X-Men and is the current s.o. of Havok.

Aaaaaaand here's Jean-

MARVEL GIRL

Jean Grey

F TY
A GD
S TY
E RM
R GD
I RM
P AM
Health: 52 Karma: 90
Resources: TY Popularity: 15

KNOWN POWERS:
Telekinesis: Jean has IN ability to mentally manipulate objects. She can perform the following power stunts:
  • Create a mental force shield up to IN strength protection against physical and energy attacks.
  • Project force bolts of pure telekinetic energy for IN damage.
  • IN ability to move physical objects, with a weight equivalent of EX strength
  • Fly at EX air speed. With up to ten others, this is reduced to GD air speed.
  • Telepathy: RM ability to read minds.
Jean used this skill to perform the following power stunts:
  • RM ability to read minds.
  • RM ability to project thoughts, RM range.
  • RM ability to execute mental attacks, including erasing thoughts and exercising mental control.
TALENTS: Resist Domination.
GROUPS: Founding member of the original X-Men.
IN BRIEF: The above stats represent Jean Grey's abilities at the time of the founding of the new X-Men, prior to the creation of Phoenix.

Maybe Scott should have the Leadership talent at this point? He did lead the team during the time they thought the Professor was dead, and though (of course) there were times that Bobby and Warren didn't listen to him and went off half-cocked on their own, the team was usually more efficient tactically when everyone did follow his lead.

Oh, absolutely. I'll look over the list, but I get the feeling that the Basic and Advanced talent lists aren't exactly the same. Jean's "resist domination" talent is not listed, for instance.

And yeah, I was hoping Tommy B. would have responded to that post by now with his thoughts. I'll look it over and do some research and make any appropriate changes.

Here's Scott with adjustments made-

CYCLOPS

Scott Summers
F EX
A EX
S TY
E EX
R GD
I EX
P EX
Health: 66 Karma: 50
Resources: PR Popularity: 0

KNOWN POWERS
Optic Blast: EX damage, two area range. Cyclops cannot control this damage and affects all targets in his line of sight. Power stunts include:
  • Attack multiple targets on a successful Agility FEAT. He can affect up to eight targets in a single area if there are sufficient reflectors (mirrors, glass, metal) around . Damage is reduced to GD.
  • Affect two adjacent areas with a wide-angle beam. Anyone in those areas takes GD energy damage.
Partial Invulnerability: Cyclops cannot be hurt by the reflection of his own eye-beams or by the energy blasts of his brother, Havok. He can be slammed and stunned by these beams.

EQUIPMENT: Cyclops' eyeblasts are uncontrollable, functioning whenever his eyes are open. He wears a set of ruby quartz lenses which allow him to use his.blasts as described above.
TALENTS: Leadership.
GROUPS: Leader of the X-Men.
IN BRIEF: These stats represent Scott Summers' abilities at the time of their encounter with the Z’nox.

Oh, absolutely. I'll look over the list, but I get the feeling that the Basic and Advanced talent lists aren't exactly the same. Jean's "resist domination" talent is not listed, for instance.

And yeah, I was hoping Tommy B. would have responded to that post by now with his thoughts. I'll look it over and do some research and make any appropriate changes.

Sorry. Life blindsided me. I'll have to formally bow out. Heavy plate, as it were.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back