Interesting finds on Drivethru

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Not 5e. It's based on OGL, but loosely- hewing more towards OSR than d20.

Not 5e. It's based on OGL, but loosely- hewing more towards OSR than d20.
Better - but that, by itself ain't exactly a recipe for exciting combat.
Most OSR games have fast combat, yes - fierce and exciting, however...not really.
And let's not even start on how many have dangerous magic or flexible customization:shade:!

Just thought I would mention that today's Deal of the Day on Drivethru is 43 AD-Roleplaying Roman Britain by Paul Elliott of Zozer Games. It's marked down 50%, to $5 US. My understanding is that the system is the same as Zenobia, but I've long been interested in it for the background information on Roman Britain. I've just never quite got around to picking it up. This seems like a good occasion...

Just thought I would mention that today's Deal of the Day on Drivethru is 43 AD-Roleplaying Roman Britain by Paul Elliott of Zozer Games. It's marked down 50%, to $5 US. My understanding is that the system is the same as Zenobia, but I've long been interested in it for the background information on Roman Britain. I've just never quite got around to picking it up. This seems like a good occasion...
I'm a fan of Zozer Games!

Given that gamers tend to have Strong Opinions on our non-preferred systems, it's weird that DTRPG doesn't let you add negative search terms.

Its not even as trivial as it could be to require a specific language for products when looking at what's new.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I picked it up when I was running my Mythras Fantasy Briton game, and it was at least interesting.

There is a lot of good info in that book on Roman Britain. If the topic interests you, you might check out Simon Scarrow's novel, think it was Under the Eagle, that follows a centurion in the invasion of Britannia

There’s always great sales on stuff I already have. I haven’t figured out if that’s because I have great taste or because I buy stuff no one else wants. :grin:

There is a lot of good info in that book on Roman Britain. If the topic interests you, you might check out Simon Scarrow's novel, think it was Under the Eagle, that follows a centurion in the invasion of Britannia
That's a good suggestion. I read the first several of those novels some years ago; I'm not sure how many there are in the series. Ruth Downie's Medicus books are enjoyable for later in the history of the occupation, and I liked Pauline Gedge's Eagle and the Raven on Boudica's revolt. That would be a good setting for a Roman Britain game. Of course, there's also Rosemary Sutcliff's Eagle of the Ninth, though I've not read her stuff in decades.

Given that gamers tend to have Strong Opinions on our non-preferred systems, it's weird that DTRPG doesn't let you add negative search terms.
Yeah, but then they’d have to have categories like “Grognard Crap”, “Snowflake Safe”, and “Narrative Shitshow”. :devil:

Yeah, but then they’d have to have categories like “Grognard Crap”, “Snowflake Safe”, and “Narrative Shitshow”. :devil:
Given nobody can agree what any of those mean, probably best to just mark every product as such and then randomly display one every time the product is looked at.

Any occasion to get 43 AD is a good one!

I'm a Zozer Games fan as well, of course:thumbsup:.

No,though I've seen it. Ultimately, it's most likely that you would be the one to tell us his impression once you read it:shade:!

I'm considering adding Nuked to my list of things to purchase, after work is over, as part of my next DTRPG binge!

You're probably right there AsenRG AsenRG ! I'll stick it in the cart ready for later. It's not like it'll break the bank or anything.

You're probably right there AsenRG AsenRG ! I'll stick it in the cart ready for later. It's not like it'll break the bank or anything.
Yeah, I know. In fact, one can argue it's a cheaper use of an hour and a half - which is about what you'd need to read it, I suspect - than many others:thumbsup:.
And if you ever play it? Well, the price of a movie is significantly higher:shade:.

Yeah, I know. In fact, one can argue it's a cheaper use of an hour and a half - which is about what you'd need to read it, I suspect - than many others:thumbsup:.
And if you ever play it? Well, the price of a movie is significantly higher:shade:.

All excellent points! I'm sold.

Now, I discovered two interesting looking games on DTRPG a few days ago, in the early hours, and I was so tired I remember almost nothing about them. For one of them I can only remember that it had two shades of blue and a very small amount of brown on the cover. Possibly some human figures. That's it. I remember nothing else. I guess that one is lost to me. The other was an OSR-type game (it mentioned Whitehack and Into The Odd as inspirations I think) in a Cyberpunk or techno-thriller setting (at least I think) with a Black and Red or Dark Pink cover. I think it was a fairly recent release and I know it wasn't Lowlife 2090. Anyone got a clue what the last one could be?!

For one of them I can only remember that it had two shades of blue and a very small amount of brown on the cover. Possibly some human figures. That's it. I remember nothing else. I guess that one is lost to me.
I can now see a dozen users starting to scour Drivethru to prove you wrong:grin:!

I can now see a dozen users starting to scour Drivethru to prove you wrong:grin:!

If they find me the game I forgot then that'll be great. They might even find me a few more games to buy along the way! :money:

Given nobody can agree what any of those mean, probably best to just mark every product as such and then randomly display one every time the product is looked at.
Or we could just flush all games not started in the 70’s, since there’s never any difference between them anyway. :devil:

The other was an OSR-type game (it mentioned Whitehack and Into The Odd as inspirations I think) in a Cyberpunk or techno-thriller setting (at least I think) with a Black and Red or Dark Pink cover. I think it was a fairly recent release and I know it wasn't Lowlife 2090. Anyone got a clue what the last one could be?!

I managed to find this one! It's called Into The Black and it's here https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/354129/INTO-THE-BLACK

Sounds like it's more spacefaring, possibly Travellerish, than cyberpunk as such. I might have to hunt around for a bit more info on both the setting and the rules.

AsenRG AsenRG I picked up Nuked (alongside Mythic Babylon) yesterday evening. I don't know when I'll get chance to read it mind you.

Acapulco HEAT the RPG!
Sometimes, back in the day, I used to smoke weed and watch telenovelas. I don't even speak Spanish. It made me want to play an RPG based on Mexican soap operas.

I'm sure that wouldn't be nearly as cool to someone who isn't high on Marijahoobie.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT HIGH RIGHT NOW

I'm closing in on the end of my playthru of the NES version of Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, and I was trying to think of what I might play next. I'm thinking I want to have some more 80s CRPG fun, but I don't think I'm quite up to the task of some of the really big ones. That's when I recalled Legacy of the Ancients. It was one that I played back in the day and even completed. It's very console-like, very early Ultima-like. I was looking for some information, because I know I'll need the code-wheel and all that jazz. That was when I discovered there is an official D&D 5e worldbook for the game:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...e-Ancients-Softcover-Print--PDF-Bundle-BUNDLE

So... if this has an official RPG book, where's my adaptation of Roadwar 2000, Questron, and Phantasie?

I'm closing in on the end of my playthru of the NES version of Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, and I was trying to think of what I might play next. I'm thinking I want to have some more 80s CRPG fun, but I don't think I'm quite up to the task of some of the really big ones. That's when I recalled Legacy of the Ancients. It was one that I played back in the day and even completed. It's very console-like, very early Ultima-like. I was looking for some information, because I know I'll need the code-wheel and all that jazz. That was when I discovered there is an official D&D 5e worldbook for the game:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...e-Ancients-Softcover-Print--PDF-Bundle-BUNDLE

So... if this has an official RPG book, where's my adaptation of Roadwar 2000, Questron, and Phantasie?

Well, Facebook must be reading my mind. I read your post and got excited, until I realized I’d confused it with Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess. Then I go on Facebook and get this ad:

720B8E9B-38A6-4ECE-9571-F0BD532355CB.jpeg

Well, it's not like we're all in a hurry:grin:! So whenever you get to it would be fine!
It's a good job you weren't in a hurry really... :grin:

I read about 80-90% of Nuked back in August. I've forgotten a lot of the details of the game but it's basically a simple dice pool system and has enough detail to make characters feel fleshed out. It's got a bit of an old school feel to it and, for reasons I can't quite remember, gave me a bit of a Cyberpunk 2020 vibe. Not sure why that was now, as the rules are quite different, but I remember thinking it would be a decent rules light alternative for a Cyberpunk 2020/2077 game.

I did have some quibbles with it here and there but nothing so dramatic that I can remember the details of them now. There were a number of references to a "complete" rulebook coming in the future (and possibly there were some references to further books) but I haven't heard or found any more info on the game since I bought it.

tl;dr: My overall impression? Decent system, has potential, need to revisit it again. Certainly it was good value for money given how little it cost.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back