IP's that ought to have their own RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Does make you wonder what the fuck people were smoking/injecting when they greenlit a movie about falling in love with a mannequin.

The first one is OK. It's just a goofy little romantic comedy.

The second one... Well, I have seen it. I literally do not recall anything about it. Most people say it's pretty dire.

But, to be fair, even the first one is pretty forgettable. For me, other than the basic concept, it's just one of those movies I can watch, have a decent time watching, and then not recall much of anything about it 10 minutes later.

The first one is OK. It's just a goofy little romantic comedy.

The second one... Well, I have seen it. I literally do not recall anything about it. Most people say it's pretty dire.

But, to be fair, even the first one is pretty forgettable. For me, other than the basic concept, it's just one of those movies I can watch, have a decent time watching, and then not recall much of anything about it 10 minutes later.
I'd agree with that. I saw the first one in the theater, and I enjoyed it well enough, but I never think about it all aside from when other people mention it.

I don't know anything about this property. I have a dim recollection of this image from advertisements back in my comic days. But the one thing I do know is THAT is definitely an RPG cover. That would have been instabuy in the late 80s early 90s.
My older brother and I used to read it.* We used to have the first couple dozen issues or so and I remember liking it quite a bit. But I haven't seen it in probably 30 years or so, so who knows how it holds up.

* along with Weird War Tales, Sgt. Rock, G.I. Combat, Enemy Ace, Blackhawk, G.I. Joe, etc.--all the military-type comics.

I saw Mannequin in the theatre as a pre-teen because Kim Cattrall. Even then I knew it wasn’t very good but...Kim Cattrall.

View attachment 9917
She is why I still will watch it, and many other bad films, if they come on.
giphy.gif
KIm is hot, but the evolution of Jefferson Airplane into Starship always makes me sad :sad:
Don't worry, I'm working on We Built This City: The Roleplaying Game.
giphy.gif

That not "evolution". That's degeneration.

It's positively Lovecraftian.

Grace Slick goes from cool 60s psyche rock chick (she wrote White Rabbit ffs) to 80s corporate sell-out. Horrible.

Dumarest Dumarest - you are a bad, bad man.

3FvJxbrS_400x400.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Bands that were huge in the 60s made some of the worst stuff in the 80s. It’s like they took the worst elements of the pop music of that time and ramped it up to 11.
...and their wannabe imitators, who grew up with said "music", are repeating the process each decade since then:tongue:?

Bands that were huge in the 60s made some of the worst stuff in the 80s. It’s like they took the worst elements of the pop music of that time and ramped it up to 11.

That just one thing that makes the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame performances so painful: we’re supposed to buy that there was never any decline in those bands.

that one was really good. Kudos Dumarest.

I wish that was a real thing.

I don't want a CHiPs RPG. I want an RPG that has:

CHiPs, Dukes of Hazzard, BJ and the Bear, Magnum PI, Simon & Simon, Starky & Hutch, Matt Houston, Shaft, and Voyagers all in one game.

If it was on CBS back then, it probably happened in the same universe. I know that Magnum met Simon & Simon in a crossover.

Magnum even crossed over with Murder She Wrote, twice. However, we do know Magnum doesn't exist in the universe of Quantum Leap, because in that series they directly referemce Magnum PI as a TV show. Which is odd, because both are considered in fandom part of the "Bellasariusverse"

My older brother and I used to read it.* We used to have the first couple dozen issues or so and I remember liking it quite a bit. But I haven't seen it in probably 30 years or so, so who knows how it holds up.

* along with Weird War Tales, Sgt. Rock, G.I. Combat, Enemy Ace, Blackhawk, G.I. Joe, etc.--all the military-type comics.
Growing up, the only comic shop I had access to used to buy in a completely random shipment of titles each month. It was impossible to follow stories that continued across several issues. I found *one* issue of Alien Legion in all that time and it became a minor obsession.

Many years later I bought the collected first volume on Ebay and while I enjoyed it, the mid-80s would absolutely have been the best time for me to read it.

Fact: All the best bands break up within a decade.

Most bands should break up after their first album. They use the material they wrote before they break it big and then coast for years. Only bands like the Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones made their best stuff after five albums. Basically those sixties bands that wouldn’t sound good in the 80s. The Stones did OK. “Start Me Up” is a great song and that was ‘81.

Fact: All the best bands break up within a decade.
I read somewhere the average lifespan for a successful band is half that: 5 years.

Most bands should break up after their first album. They use the material they wrote before they break it big and then coast for years. Only bands like the Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones made their best stuff after five albums. Basically those sixties bands that wouldn’t sound good in the 80s. The Stones did OK. “Start Me Up” is a great song and that was ‘81.

Jagger and Richards actually responded to punk and reggae and it gave them more juice for a few more years. Their last good album to me was Some Girls.

Last edited:
I think a lot of bands do their best album second, then decline from there.

It really depends on if they develop their craft or get lost in fog of cocaine and groupies. Admittedly it is possible to do both but only for so long. Romanticism aside drug addiction doesn't contribute to the creative process. Some greats developed drug problems but too many young musicians think they were great because they had drug problems. But I would lay the creative decline of most of the 60s generation of bands on drugs and alcohol.

Brian Wilson said he got the chords for “California Girls”, one of pop’s masterpieces, after being on LSD. The only problem is that it exacerbated his already compromised mental state. He developed aural hallucinations where a voice was saying it wanted to kill him, which he still has to this day. Drugs suck.

Brian Wilson said he got the chords for “California Girls”, one of pop’s masterpieces, after being on LSD.
The chord progression isn't really anything special. Did he maybe mean the melody or harmonies?

The Stones did OK. “Start Me Up” is a great song and that was ‘81.
Jagger and Richards actually responded to punk and reggae and it gave them more juice for a few more years. Their last good album to me was Some Girls.
It's notable that "Start Me Up" was recorded in early 1978 during the Some Girls sessions. “Waiting on a Friend,” the other good song on Tattoo You, dates waaaaaay back to Goat’s Head Soup.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back