IP's that ought to have their own RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Only two sign ups...

Could have just been timing, or maybe folks would have responded to a different system. I mean, I've never joined a game here, so I can't really speak on it.

Actually, looking on it, it was only about 10 days ago? It's possible most haven't seen it yet. I find besides the few heavy posters, most Pubbers pass through intermittently.

Last edited:
What's the difference in terms of character between the 30's and 60's version? I'm honestly curious,
None. The 1960s through 1990 paperbacks merely reprinted the magazine stories with new cover art. I have no idea why someone approved the widow's-peaked, musclebound look and seemed to forget what color Doc's hair should be. (I first discovered Doc and the Avenger through the paperbacks.)

Last edited:
Only two sign ups...

I read the pitch...the premise is just not my bag plus I don't like the system. Lots of posts checking for interest in a particular game fall by the wayside.

Atari Force is highly under-rated forgotten gem.

Never figured out what it had to do with Atari though. I mean at least Captain N: The Game Master actually used characters from the games.

Never figured out what it had to do with Atari though. I mean at least Captain N: The Game Master actually used characters from the games.
I had a couple of issues just for the José Luis García-López art.

I coulda swore there was a Turok RPG, but maybe I'm just confusing it with the Cadillacs & Dinosaurs RPG

Captain Future, both the pulps and the anime.

Captain Future, both the pulps and the anime.
I know of the Anime, I grew up on it watching it on French Canada television in the late 70's and 80's, but it was based on a pulp magazine? That I didn't know...

You know, it's funny. It wasn't like I really liked any of the characters in Atari Force. There wasn't any character I was really concerned with. Tempest had a neat power and looked cool (in the early 80s). Dart was badass. The rest of them were... in the comic.

But despite that, nearly all of them had cool moments, and I really enjoyed the stories. Plus, it's just a wide open multiverse that invites nearly any kind of action/adventure.

It really was like a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers serial in comic form. I looked forward to it every month for it's 20 issue run.

I'd never heard of Atari Force before, but I gotta say I'd play the shit out of that.
The original comics were very loosely based on the video game Liberator, and the second series even less so.
unnamed.jpg

But I'll buy almost anything that has women in it drawn by José Luis García-López.

The original comics were very loosely based on the video game Liberator, and the second series even less so.

Actually, the other way around. The original comics were included with select Atari 2600 games: Defender, Star Raiders, Berzerk, Phoenix, and Galaxian. Then the later Liberator arcade game was given some Atari Force branding and used images of Martin Champion as briefings/intermissions.

This wasn't the only DC/Atari joint project going on. There was also the Swordquest game series with their comic books. The games are some of the worst ever made, but the comics, while not spectacular, are at least fun.

There was also a comic in Yar's Revenge featuring backstory for the struggle of the Yar against the Qotile. There were also two graphic novels: Star Raiders and Warlords. The Star Raiders graphic novel is pretty explicitly tied to Atari Force.

Then after all that came the second volume of Atari Force, which was a regular monthly title rather than a game bonus or specialty graphic novel.

Side note

There was a DC title called The Warlord. I never read it, but my partner did, so I asked him if it ever had any connection with the Atari Warlords videogame or the video game based graphic novel. According to him there was absolutely no relation other than a similar title.

Actually, the other way around.
That's right, I said it backward.

Side note

There was a DC title called The Warlord. I never read it, but my partner did, so I asked him if it ever had any connection with the Atari Warlords videogame or the video game based graphic novel. According to him there was absolutely no relation other than a similar title.
Warlords_Flyer.png
67e3598d33d371dfd5970fb3d33a48dc.jpg
Yeah. I had some issues of it. Loved Mike Grell's Hollow Earth (Skartaris) full of scantily clad sexy barbarian women.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back