IP's that ought to have their own RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I get phat XP for bitching and moaning about my long lost humanity for 75% of the runtime of each session? Sweet!

I kid. I kid. Rom kicks ass. It doesn't mean that his emo whining isn't tedious sometimes.
I have some early ROM (1-6 I think) it seemed one note to me at the time. I think my appreciation for it came later.

I forgot how bad TV was in the 80s and 90s.

Thank the Gods for MTV
Because Real World, Remote Control, and Teen Mom are better than syndicated action shows?
Reno Raines thinks your wrong,
91IQdcfnLoL._SY445_.jpg

If somebody designs a game where everybody gets to roleplay me, would I get rights on the IP?

No Ted Turner already owns those
Boooo! :thumbsdown:

Actually, that reminds me of the Frank Zappa I'm The Slime lyrics a bit:

I am gross and perverted
I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years
But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government
And industry too
For I am destined to rule
And regulate you
I may be vile and pernicious
But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious
With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out
From your TV set
You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold.

Except these days, it's probably the slime "oozing out from the Internet"….

…..they shoould do a RPG on that! :thumbsup:

No, but The Maxx, Daria, Beavis & Butthead, My So-Called Life, Liquid Television, The State, Aeon Flux, Headbanger's Ball, and Dead at 21 certainly were.
OK, i do agree with some of those. But as a kid, and young adult. The availability of cable, especially late at night (My personal prime time) was limited. So I gorged myself on bad tv. Except not all of it was bad. So examples of the good. Forever Knight, Friday the 13th: the series, Wiseguy, X-Files, The Outer Limits, but to name a few. Then a local station played a movie late at night. Bladerunner, Brazil, Outland, The Park is Mine, Conan, again to name a few. I actually miss some of the flavor of local terrestrial tv. I suppose Im a bit nostalgic.

So examples of the good. Forever Knight, Friday the 13th: the series, Wiseguy, X-Files, The Outer Limits, but to name a few. Then a local station played a movie late at night.

Yeah, I was being hyperbolic, there was some worthwhile stuff on TV (though I don't miss commercials at all). Friday the 13th: The Series is also one of my favs, rewateched a lot of it last year on Youtube. Others I can recall are Mystery Science Theater 3000, Twin Peaks, Buffy & Angel, Star Trek TNG & DS9, Farscape, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Fraser, Highlander: The Series, Remember WENN, Clarissa Explains It All, Salute Your Shorts, not to mention re-runs of "Classic TV" - Get Smart and the like. And then reruns of BBC shows on PBS - Red Dwarf, Father Ted, Sherlock Holmes, etc. And the end of the 90s saw the advent of Adult Swim.

Not to mention the late night horror movie hosts. Elvira, Joe Bob Briggs, etc.

I guess what it mostly came down to was less choice. In the 80s and 90s, we were at the mercy of programming, and excepting some very specific times during the day, most of what was on was really bad. MTV got more play from me because a lot of the times, especially the late evening or early afternoon, I could put it on and find some decent entertainment, instead of the infomercials and sitcom reruns on most networks.

Hey Dumarest, how's about a Jack Arnold RPG: Rolepaying in the Fantastic Worlds of Jack Arnold.

It should primarily focus on Arnold's scifi monster flicks. Obscure supplements could cover his - less fantastic - western, noir and other films.
No one image could do justice to his variety, and I couldn't make a collage that looked good, so instead I reversed it so on the cover the reader has the monster's point of view. The image is from It Came From Outer Space. The back of the box would presumably have a blurb and some stills from the various movies. I'm not thrilled by it but it was the best I could do with what I have available. I may try again sometime.
20190611_155829.jpg

I guess what it mostly came down to was less choice.
I think there are two other major factors, although the first is related to choice: the explosion of channels and other venues (Netflix, etc.) has led to more niche programming. Thus, instead of having to look for lowest common denominator programs that almost everyone can tolerate, you can find something more well-suited to your personal tastes.

The other factor is the rise of digital entertainment. First with DVDs and DVR, and then with binge TV, it is now a far better situation for highly serialized storylines. Back in the days of reruns, if you missed an episode, you may have had to wait months to see it again. Big chunks of the audience would steadily drop off as they missed plot points.

Yes, definitely all a part of it, though I also can't help but think even the stuff that I considered "good" in the '90s, with a few exceptions, wasn't really as good as the majority of stuff I like today.

I used to love the Dick Duroch Swamp Thing series, but it hardly holds a candle to the new series (that is unfortunately already cancelled, apparently due to tax budget reasons). As much as I enjoyed Superboy, those first three seasons of Smallville were on another level. No sitcom from the 80s or 90s ever reached the heights of Community. Etc.

Granted, though, my watching now isn't diluted by exposure to the reality shows and talent competitions I hear have mostly overtaken the airways.

Yes, definitely all a part of it, though I also can't help but think even the stuff that I considered "good" in the '90s, with a few exceptions, wasn't really as good as the majority of stuff I like today.
Oh yeah, that was definitely right before the "Golden Age." I would even go so far as to say that it started with The Sopranos (1999) as the first example of a highly-popular serial storyline sustained over many seasons. That show could not have succeeded without Tivo and cheap DVD box sets.

Before that, everything was marketed for the lowest common denominator. That was simply the best strategy for the national networks back in the days when there were four majors plus a couple of outliers (PBS, UPN, WB, etc.). Good shows had to sneak through a process of deliberate homogenization!
Granted, though, my watching now isn't diluted by exposure to the reality shows and talent competitions I hear have mostly overtaken the airways.
That's the beauty of choice proliferation and niche programming: you never have to watch something that you don't like...unless you're visiting relatives.

A big shift for me is watching everything on demand. It's actually resulted in me watching a lot less television. I used to frequently have it running in the background, but now I either put something on and actively watch it or I don't have TV on at all.

There was a website/blog way back in the day that actually went through the film and extrapolated a game based on the limited info.

Unfortunately the guy quit before finishing it. Or at least he had last time I saw it. It was hilarious.

yeah, I seem to recall that as well. I'm sure I have it buried somewhere in my saved links, but at this point just scrolling down one of my "favourites" folders on chrome is an almost ten minute ordeal.

lol, I should probably do something about that at some point, but who has the time?

yeah, I seem to recall that as well. I'm sure I have it buried somewhere in my saved links, but at this point just scrolling down one of my "favourites" folders on chrome is an almost ten minute ordeal.

lol, I should probably do something about that at some point, but who has the time?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back