IP's that ought to have their own RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
That list reminds me that Lumet’s The Offence and the flawed by interesting Richard Lester film Robin and Marian are also quite good. Lumet seems to have recognized that Connery was quite good at playing darker, sadistic characters.
Connory playing darker, sadistic characters? Next you're going to tell my John Travolta can play those:grin:!

Connery lost out on at least $18 million because he turned down the role of Gandalf in Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy. He said he read the book and watched the movies afterward and still didn’t understand it.

Connery lost out on at least $18 million because he turned down the role of Gandalf in Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings trilogy. He said he read the book and watched the movies afterward and still didn’t understand it.
He also said he turned down a role in The Matrix, presumably Agent Smith or Morpheus. Again, because he didn’t understand the script.

When LXG came along, he did t understand that either...

"The Expendables" as in the Stallone movies about mercs. Granted any generic system can do this and there even a few games that foucs on the genre, but I think this series of movies have their own aesthetic and very Hollywood take and the mercenary work.

"Defiance", the SyFy show. It was a good show in its own right, but always struck me as particularly optimised for a roleplaying game, probably because the setting was designed for an online game.

Well to be fair someone explained that she would be contorting her body all over the screen and sex is a pretty simple concept to understand...
And in his defense how often have you been met with a blank stare when trying to explain D&D to someone which is pretty much what explaining LotR to someone without a fantasy background must sound like.

And in his defense how often have you been met with a blank stare when trying to explain D&D to someone which is pretty much what explaining LotR to someone without a fantasy background must sound like.

They should have just told him it was a sequel to Darby O'Gill & The Little People

Also... City of Heroes.

I think it should focus on the setting (the colourful factions and great story arcs) than the mechanics - what works in a computer game doesn't necessarily make a good table top experience. I know there have been a couple of quick starts and fan-created versions but they don't quite scratch the itch.

Also... City of Heroes.

I think it should focus on the setting (the colourful factions and great story arcs) than the mechanics - what works in a computer game doesn't necessarily make a good table top experience. I know there have been a couple of quick starts and fan-created versions but they don't quite scratch the itch.

Yes! Loved the setting. Any of the fan-made versions have a good run-down of the places and factions?

OK, now I'm wondering how I have not seen this movie. I must find it.
I had to Google it to make sure it was real, and I was in my prime teenage years of sitting on my ass watching cable TV when it came out.

OK, now I'm wondering how I have not seen this movie. I must find it.

The premise is good ...this girl's sister is kidnapped, and her crazy grandfather is a huge fan of paperback action series (namedrops Remo williams, Mack Bolen, etc) and Jake Speed is one of these (with a nice mock-up paperback series), but turns out Jack Speed is real, and he funds his "adventures" by writring about them afterwards, and he agrees to help rescue the sister, but goes through the movie making every choice as to "what woulkd be best for the novel" (including a somewhat hilarious scene where he stops everything so he can pose for the perfect cover for the book). And features John Hurt chewing scenery as the longtime arch-nemisis.

But....I can't really recommend the movie. It's one of those with a lot of potential that just does everything wrong, It's oddly paced, full of glaring plot holes, and the lead just doesn't have the charisma to carry the film. It's frustrating though as the lead girl is surprisingly good, considering what she has to work with (only other film I know her from is Once Bitten), and there's some amazing on-location filming in Africa.

It's something I knew as a kid only because one of my friends growing up had a VHs copy and then completely forgot about until stumbling across a used blu-ray in a bargain bin.

One of the last two American films of the 1980s, the movie was released 12/22/89. The 30th anniversary edition of the original RPG by Task Force Games is in preorders as I type this.
20191124_204924.jpg

Uh, there IS a RPG for playing American style action movies. It's called Feng Shui, by Atlas Games.

Subjective statement. My point was a lot of these American Action films can be done by Feng Shui. Opinion on the system notwithstanding.
You seem to have missed the entire point of this thread if you're going to suggest playing in an IP setting with an existing game.

You seem to have missed the entire point of this thread if you're going to suggest playing in an IP setting with an existing game.
IPs that are unique enough to require their own system, yes? Most American action movies don't, and I've loved them since the 80's.

Maybe it was Connery's experience with Zardoz that led him to reject unconventional scripts that came his way.

I think Zardoz is fucking awesome and would love to see more of that setting.

Maybe his experience with Zardoz hadn't worn off yet, there had to be a lot of drugs on the set, it wouldn't surprise me if it took a couple decades to come down from that bender.

There I’d say he made the right decision.

I've seen the movie and I have no idea what it was about, but you have Sean Connery talking so you have the ladies, and then the laser scene... laser scene... lasers, shiny what was I saying, oh yes Entrapment that was a high point in 90s cinema. :heart:

Maybe his experience with Zardoz hadn't worn off yet, there had to be a lot of drugs on the set, it wouldn't surprise me if it took a couple decades to come down from that bender.

I've seen the movie and I have no idea what it was about, but you have Sean Connery talking so you have the ladies, and then the laser scene... laser scene... lasers, shiny what was I saying, oh yes Entrapment that was a high point in 90s cinema. :heart:
I thought it a little ridiculous that they paired her up with Connery as a love interest but then she married Michael Douglas so it seemed slightly more plausible.

I thought it a little ridiculous that they paired her up with Connery as a love interest but then she married Michael Douglas so it seemed slightly more plausible.
Every woman I've ever known tells me Sean Connery is quite plausible.

Also... City of Heroes.

One of the groups I used to roll with, loves that game, and one of the players collated the data available and made a personal folder of all the details that he could and ran a game in it using FASERIP.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back