IP's that ought to have their own RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I’m sure these have been mentioned, but the two biggest IPs I’d want official books for are Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls. It honestly boggles my mind that they don’t exist.

More recently, a Horizon Zero Dawn game would be cool. That’s the biggest standout world to me of the PS4 generation.

All of you who are posting Doc Savage covers should take a look at the Thrilling Tales supplement for Savage Worlds:grin:!

Unfortunately, I've chosen not to buy anything from Adamant until they deliver my Far West. So I guess that means I'm never buying from Adamant again.
Would buying it from ebay, or used from Amazon, go against your conscience?

Or if you want, I can buy it from Drivethru, and you send me the money:thumbsup:! I'll even write your address for delivery, so you don't have to pay more shipping than you usually do.

I might try buying it used... didn't think about that! Just getting tired of the lack of communication and when he comes back there's just excuses. It was ok for a while... but this is ridiculous.

I might try buying it used... didn't think about that! Just getting tired of the lack of communication and when he comes back there's just excuses. It was ok for a while... but this is ridiculous.
Honestly, I'm not understanding the idea that you should all punish yourselves so someone else would learn how he wronged you... it seems to me that this is punishing yourselves doubly. Maybe it's just how I'm wired:grin:!

But I'm neither a backer, nor an author with a failed KS, and I'm sure as hell not Skarka's defender! You do as you see fit. I'm just here to talk about games, some of which might be written by Skarka:shade:.

That said, Thrilling Tales is a fine supplement for Savage Worlds, and you should definitely try it:thumbsup:! It's also quite useful for a GM that wants to run a pulp game.

Thrilling Tales is one of the best pulp supplements I have seen, it’s so handy.

I did not see the D20 OGL version, but the little digest version I have for Savage Worlds is great. Even if you don’t use Savage Worlds the book is very useful, full of genre advice, and overflowing with flavour.

I don’t play Savage Worlds anymore, but kept using Thrilling Tales for inspiration for my Fate Core Pulp Adventure game and continually find it beneficial and a fun read.

Highly recommended :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I've chosen not to buy anything from Adamant until they deliver my Far West. So I guess that means I'm never buying from Adamant again.

Hey, we're only 4 days away from the 9 year anniversary...meaning, it could be delivered within a decade...

All of you who are posting Doc Savage covers should take a look at the Thrilling Tales supplement for Savage Worlds:grin:!

Nah, the best supplement for pulp roleplaying is actually having read the source material. I've got shelves full of Doc Savage, the Black Bat, the Avenger, the Shadow, the Spider, the Purple Scar, the Hooded Detective, Captain Zero, to say nothing of writers like Robert E. Howard, Frederick Nebel, and H. Bedford-Jones. :thumbsup:

Nah, the best supplement for pulp roleplaying is actually having read the source material. I've got shelves full of Doc Savage, the Black Bat, the Avenger, the Shadow, the Spider, the Purple Scar, the Hooded Detective, Captain Zero, to say nothing of writers like Robert E. Howard, Frederick Nebel, and H. Bedford-Jones. :thumbsup:
Not all of us have access to that. And for the record I am very jealous of you, Sir.

Honestly, I'm not understanding the idea that you should all punish yourselves so someone else would learn how he wronged you... it seems to me that this is punishing yourselves doubly. Maybe it's just how I'm wired:grin:!

Not punishing myself. Just not supporting a company that has my money and has not delivered on my product. Seems a straightforward proposition to me.

If someone cheats you once, do you continue to support them? If I get it and give him no more money, cool. But I'm choosing not to support him.

Some others go further and don't support anyone that does business with me. That's for them- not for me. This is just my choice.

Not punishing myself. Just not supporting a company that has my money and has not delivered on my product. Seems a straightforward proposition to me.

If someone cheats you once, do you continue to support them? If I get it and give him no more money, cool. But I'm choosing not to support him.

Some others go further and don't support anyone that does business with me. That's for them- not for me. This is just my choice.
Yeah, you see it as support. I see it as using their product for my own enjoyment:thumbsup:.

I don't think these viewpoints can easily be reconciled, but then I don't see the need, either. Just let me know what you think of Thrilling Tales, OK?

And if getting it is too expensive, there's also Two-fisted Tales by Precis Intermedia. It's on Drivethru as well, and it covers a lot of the same ground, albeit with slightly more use of meta-mechanics:shade:!

While I agree on reading the source material, I also know from experience that a decent system can help GM or player that's only somewhat familiar with a genre to learn the genre rules and help him until he can improvise it himself:thumbsup:!

I have both Thrilling Tales and Two-Fisted Tales (1E), and they both are really great. If I had to keep only one, then I find Thrilling Tales to be slightly better, it has more flavour which can be used in any system.

Last edited:
I’m sure these have been mentioned, but the two biggest IPs I’d want official books for are Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls. It honestly boggles my mind that they don’t exist.
There's a free wargame put out by Modiphius for the latter, if it helps.
Not all of us have access to that. And for the record I am very jealous of you, Sir.
There are some really good reprints done by Sanctum Books, currently sold through Adventure House (and no doubt other outlets). I hear The Shadow is getting pulled at the end of the year, though.

No time to try to do up a cover at the moment, but: Kolchak: The Night Stalker

(or did someone already suggest; I’ve been binge reading this thread the last couple days.)

giphy.gif
04146e97acfc041756d5099a419aa8ef.gif

giphy.gif

This has actually inspired me to try writing up the Champions (Black Widow, Hercules, Iceman, Angel, Ghost Rider and maybe even associates like Black Goliath and Darkstar) for Champions (probably 2nd or 3rd edition). It seems like it would be a lot of fun to play but starting off immediately after where issue 4 left off and they had decided to be a formal team. I envision bringing in some '70s Marvel villains like the Hypno-Hustler...
hyp1.jpg
Maybe we can reveal that Dazzler was in L.A. around that time to pursue her showbiz dreams...could she clash with the Champions when they mistake her for a villainess in the timeless Marvel manner? Could she (gasp!) become a member? A natural foil for Darkstar? Or does the Champions charter specify that only women from the U.S.S.R. are allowed on the team? At least we know she'd get along with Angel.
19984-3083-22297-1-dazzler.jpg

So, this image is the cover of Champions Classic.

I've been buying some Hero System books on Amazon recently. And this Champions Now and this Marvel Champions collection showed up in my recommendations.

Now, Marvel Hercules doesn't strike me as a very distinctive Marvel character, and in the thumbnail I didn't really notice Ghost Rider, Iceman, or Black Widow. I had never seen Angel in that costume, and I have to say that Hercules and Angel looked very much like "generic RPG superheroes"" on that cover. Plus, it was right next to Champions Now in the list.

So I almost bought it blind, thinking it was a reprint of Champions 2e or something.

Malazan Book of the Fallen. The series by Steven Erikson. Some of the best fantasy I've ever read, but it defies most systems. I think you could run it with Swords of the Serpentine, but it would be some work.

Malazan Book of the Fallen. The series by Steven Erikson. Some of the best fantasy I've ever read, but it defies most systems. I think you could run it with Swords of the Serpentine, but it would be some work.

Definitely this. I'd meant to mention this and The Black Company. Well at least as far as having it in a better system. I already have this book.

pic534606.jpg

Another one that I'd love to have an update of is The Authority.

Definitely this. I'd meant to mention this and The Black Company. Well at least as far as having it in a better system. I already have this book.

pic534606.jpg
Glen Cook also has his Garret P.I series which would make an interesting setting. The books are old school hard boiled detective stories set in a fantasy world but the setting has some nice twists as well.

1596866841010.png
ok not really an IP, but a fantasy setting that should exist as a current major line

To my knowledge, it's already been done many times with AD&D, Rolemaster, GURPS, and True20.
I think there may have been a Savage Worlds book as well, I'm not sure.
There has likely been other rpgs that have done it, but those above quickly spring to mind.

As a setting, it can be presented quite juvenile, or very mature-themed.

D&D 5E or D20 OSR could portray this reasonably well, it would be easy to to retrap the Classes with Arabian archetypes and tropes.

I can envision a more gritty version being done well with BRP Mythras, or even Modiphius 2D20.

A more rollicking, pulpy version could easily be done with Fate Core, OpenD6, PbtA, or Savage Worlds. Perhaps even PDQ or RISUS.

It's a setting literally full of possibiliies, I think it is a perfect match for an entire fantasy rpg line.
Unfortunately it may not happen in the near future due to cultural sensitivies these days.
Which is a real shame, as it's great setting for adventurous Sword & Sorcery flavour.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back