IP's that ought to have their own RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Mankcam Mankcam I picked this up quite some time ago: The Thousand Year Sandglass - Book 1 - Bigfella Games | DriveThruRPG.com

244365.jpg

Written for Labyrinth Lord so this should work perfectly fine with B/X or Old-School Essentials.

I've always felt it would be fun to add an "Arabian Nights" area to Barbarians of Lemuria, though the assassin city of Halakh already has certain elements of it. Swords & Sorcery in general often has influences from the Arabian Nights tales.

I would love to see a proper Dragon Riders of Pern RPG. I am pretty sure that Anne McCaffery was staunchly against any form of IP infringment though, including fanfics. Her son I Hear carried that on.

I thought there was one in the early 80s. Maybe I'm just thinking of a strategy game or something.

I thought there was one in the early 80s. Maybe I'm just thinking of a strategy game or something.
Nothing official that I've ever been able to find. If there is and you ever find a link to it, I would love to see it.

Maybe I missed it, but has The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. The RPG been suggested yet?

View attachment 20794
ok not really an IP, but a fantasy setting that should exist as a current major line

To my knowledge, it's already been done many times with AD&D, Rolemaster, GURPS, and True20.
I think there may have been a Savage Worlds book as well, I'm not sure.
There has likely been other rpgs that have done it, but those above quickly spring to mind.

As a setting, it can be presented quite juvenile, or very mature-themed.

D&D 5E or D20 OSR could portray this reasonably well, it would be easy to to retrap the Classes with Arabian archetypes and tropes.

I can envision a more gritty version being done well with BRP Mythras, or even Modiphius 2D20.

A more rollicking, pulpy version could easily be done with Fate Core, OpenD6, PbtA, or Savage Worlds. Perhaps even PDQ or RISUS.

It's a setting literally full of possibiliies, I think it is a perfect match for an entire fantasy rpg line.
Unfortunately it may not happen in the near future due to cultural sensitivies these days.
Which is a real shame, as it's great setting for adventurous Sword & Sorcery flavour.

There have been a number of Arabian 5e third party adventures and supplements, including one on djinn by Kobold Press. The fantasy writer Saladin Ahmed is a pretty big fan of Al-Qadim. WotC did an African-ish fantasy setting with Chult with little blowback so I think a desert/Arabian adventure seems likely sometime in the future.

Yeah, man was I surprised to learn the secret identity of the RPGPundit was actually Jennifer Aniston.

So I says "Jen seriously, you're a multi millionaire actress, why all the anti-storygamer rants online?"

But she just took out her briar pipe, lit a match and said "Cause I'm the Hunter S fucking Thompson of RPGdom Séadna and I don't stand for swine who cross the line" and she sent me to her medieval authentic dungeon!

Last edited:
Yeah, I created most of the Ultraverse characters in Supers! RED years ago. I do regret using Photobucket at the time though. I ran an Ultraverse adventure this year at RadCon 2020 (back in February, before....) based mostly around The Freex.

I've never read a Malibu comic in my life. I have seen about a million of them in the bargain bins over the past couple of decades, though. Their aesthetic does nothing for me. They seemed to pump out a lot of titles in a very short period.

I've never read a Malibu comic in my life. I have seen about a million of them in the bargain bins over the past couple of decades, though. Their aesthetic does nothing for me. They seemed to pump out a lot of titles in a very short period.

Malibu was originally an umbrella for several smaller publishers. They grew rapidly and at the point they were cranking out superior titles they had become very prolific - right up until Marvel bought them and shut them down.

Yeah, man was I surprised to learn the secret identity of the RPGPundit was actually Jennifer Aniston.
I believe the kids calls this "doxxing" and it's frowned upon. You know she's worked very hard to cover her tracks, adopting an incredibly affected persona ("Pipes! Magick! Swine!") who supposedly lives in a make-believe Latin American country, and you've just pissed all over it.
unnamed (1).gif

That would be awesome. I had a friend who had the computer game and its sequel. I really liked how they put their own little spin on classic Silver Age tropes and went all in on Kirby-inspired art. I played that with him a number of times and I generally have no interest in computer games. (The sequel I never played.) The six-issue comic book series was pretty good, too. I wish it had gone longer! I'll have to look around as I know I have it somewhere.
Freedom-Force-1-6-2005.jpg
81UU8qiF-qL._AC_SX569_.jpg
Unless someone else beats me to the punch, if I can find suitable art I'll try to make a fake RPG cover.

Easy enough to do a Silver Age game. Just use DC Heroes with the optional genre rules.

Yeah, a lot of people find it too corny. I would play in a Silver Age game but Bronze Age is my de facto Age. A mix of everything can be had in that era.
I admit to being one of those.

Now, I may be an Iron Age fan, but i understand what the appeal of the more 'innocent' Silver Age, but I can't just make my mind go all in.

The Night Man, Firearm, Prime, and The Freex were some of the better Ultraverse comics (though the art for The Freex was up and down). Rather cheap to collect too, compared to the cost of comics these days.

Also, while I'm at it, I'll suggest Eclipse Comics The RPG. Scout, Scout War Shaman, Airboy, The Prowler, The New Wave, The Liberty Project, and DNAgents among many others. Not a shared universe though the Total Eclipse min-series tried to tie a lot of them together into a multiverse.

Last edited:
Best I could do with my phone--finding a clean image and logos was the hardest part.

Interesting note--in the second game, it introduces some Bronze age-esque characters. And definitely Golden Age.

Also, while I'm at it, I'll suggest Eclipse Comics The RPG. Scout, Scout War Shaman, Airboy, The Prowler, The New Wave, The Liberty Project, and DNAgents among many others. Not a shared universe though the Total Eclipse min-series tried to tie a lot of them together into a multiverse.

I always liked Elemental despite them being way darker than their era generally was, and there was a short run of comics from Elite comics, they didn't last long I think 4-6 issues for two titles, and 10? For Seadragon. Printed locally. Neat in that other than Seadragon they took place in Texas.

at and skill rules from Victory Games' James Bond 007 (which really should just be updated for modern technology and reissued nearly as-is)...

There's a retro clone of the (fabulous, IMHO) James Bond 007 RPG called Classified that basically does just that. Updates the game with modern weapons and cars, for the most part.

I've run it (twice) and it still works quite well.

For my game I'd like to see: The X-Files.

Dreadstar is one of the comic books my older brother would buy and I'd read secondhand. I remember enjoying the early issues where Dreadstar wore a hood but I don't know what happened in the later ones where he looked more like a superhero. I wasn't able to find a more relevant image that I could modify, so this will have to do unless/until I find something more fitting.
0QWbW91599870153.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back