IPs You Cant Believe Don't Have An RPG

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Wasn't Fallout originally set to be a GURPS-based video game?

This is true; and none of the books have any order, I usually recommend Use of Weapons or Player of Games for people to read first because of that.

What I really need to know is can I dual wield lazy guns?

I usually go with Consider Phlebas as an introductory recommendation.

Neal Asher's Polity setting would make for fertile, less cerebral grounds for some good adventuring.

I really, really like the space archaeology/anthropology shtick, so stuff like McDevitt's Engines of God is good inspiration.

I agree with Dragoner - Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space could be a bang-up setting.

Must.
Stop.
Bullet.
Points.

Last edited:
Kind of and not. The Culture is hard to explain, but the books are well worth reading. And not really a series in any conventional sense.

I think this kind of hits the nail on the head as to why the Culture should have and RPG. It's is a great setting, but there's no Episode 3,4,5 to it all.

I'd like to see a Tintin RPG, but based only on the comic ...

Please and thank you! I'd love official character write-ups, episode guides for each book, and maybe a random adventure generator. I could see it powered by something light such as Fate Accelerated or Risus.

I started with Player of Games, and glad I did. I'm a hard sell on sci-fi and I think i wouldnt have been motivated to get through Consider Phlebus if I hadn't had that ease into the setting (well, honestly, and also if I wasnt already a fan of Banks' non-SF work).

I started with Player of Games, and glad I did. I'm a hard sell on sci-fi and I think i wouldnt have been motivated to get through Consider Phlebus if I hadn't had that ease into the setting (well, honestly, and also if I wasnt already a fan of Banks' non-SF work).

I really like some of his non-SF work as well. Consider Phlebas was my first of his books, followed closely, but coincidentally by the Wasp Factory which I read as a coverless remainder. I don't think I realized it was the same author until a little way in. Wasp Factory and Complicity are among my favorites.

Last edited:
My girlfriend is Persian and a huge fan of the Naagin soap opera. Shapeshifting serpent people marrying into the family that burned their house down trying to get their mystic treasure? The same family that has hired a succession of shamen/professors of the occult to try and root out the curses the serpent people keep laying on the family for revenge? This is the awesomest Smallville RPG premise evar

That sounds like an awesome cross between Twin Peaks and V!

More Dallas than Twin Peaks, really. It's supernatural soap opera in a vein we don't get much here, but which is extremely common in India/Pakistan/Turkey. It is not at all uncommon for a ghost, a "devil", or a mythological creature to be part of the cast in an otherwise Days of Our Lives soap opera there. It's kind of awesome.

Oh, also, The Almighty Johnsons is another awesome Smallville campaign frame.

I enjoyed the Almighty Johnsons (and appreciate that it actually gave us an ending). There used to be a supernatural soap-opera in the states during the 90s, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of it, only that it was very, very silly.

Loved the Almighty Johnsons. Funny enough I had a massive idea for a Mystery game set in the town of Valhalla falls with the players being reborn/awakening Aesir. And even more oddly it was going to be run with Smallville.

Sadly I just couldn't get player buy in :sad:

I enjoyed the Almighty Johnsons (and appreciate that it actually gave us an ending). There used to be a supernatural soap-opera in the states during the 90s, but for the life of me I can't recall the name of it, only that it was very, very silly.
I'm guessing that you are thinking of Passions.

Sadly I just couldn't get player buy in :sad:

A lot of narrative games don't embed assumptions about the genre or tropes into the mechanics the way more traditional games do, so if your players don't buy in or just don't know them you're pretty much dead in the water.

A lot of narrative games don't embed assumptions about the genre or tropes into the mechanics the way more traditional games do, so if your players don't buy in or just don't know them you're pretty much dead in the water.
Pretty much. It was quite a different game from their norm too.

My last Smallville game fell apart when two of the players decided to go and stay full Chaotic Crazy. I'm not sure any game can withstand that, but Smallville in particular doesn't stand up to it well.

I sometimes wonder why Fiasco needed to be written, as it seems every game ends up there eventually.

Looking over the discussion of cyberpunk adaptions a few pages back, I will say R. Talsorian did delve into the literary side of the genre and not just the film side. For example, they put up a supplement for When Gravity Falls with the full cooperation of George A. Effinger.

As for other IPs I've seen mentioned:

Harry Potter would be a disaster, I believe, to produce. The licensing fees would be tremendous and that's the bullet which can kill a line or even an entire company. I do admit, I'd be the first to want to work on a Pottermore RPG directly under the control of J.K. Rowling.

G.I. Joe would be a great RPG to play in, I think. Special mission squads with a focus on being able to rotate out characters depending on the need. And since My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic got licensed to an outside firm for RPGs there's no reason to thing Habsro won't do the same for other properties. It depends, in part, on the willingness of the team assigned to the IP to go to bat for the idea. Corporations aren't monoliths. If an IP team with a good track record thinks an RPG is a good idea they have a decent chance of pushing it through to their superiors.

I'd love to see RPG's based off of Grand Theft Auto and Resident Evil.

The Legend of Zelda and any of the Final Fantasy games would also make great RPG's as well, especially given that the early Final Fantasy games were heavily inspired by Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

As weird as this sounds, Urotsukidoji could make a good outsider RPG with its lore and apocalyptic themes (though it'd obviously have a limited appeal). With a competent developer, an Urotsukidoji RPG would essentially be Black Tokyo done right.

The TV show Dark Matter would make a great RPG. As would Killjoys.

And I've started re-reading The Chronicles of the Raven by James Barclay. Balaia would make a great setting for an RPG.

We used to produce a lot of really bad low-budget genre TV here (mostly by Fireworks Entertainment). Since fantasy & SF became legit, there's less of it, but Dark Matter and Lost Girl are pure Fireworks cheese. It's even mostly the same production crew.

The Forever Knight actors have been working Stratford of late. Except for Catherine Disher, who's settled into a long-term gig over at the Hallmark Channel (they film everything in Canada).

I always thought the various Gerry Anderson shows... Captain Scarlett, Fireball XL5, Joe 90, U.F.O., etc. could mash together into an overarching Andersonverse RPG. Lots of espionage and mystery and funky equipment with that mod 60s England vibe.

I love that idea! And tack on Space: 1999 and you'd have an interesting set up for either a post-apocalypse world with all those elements (Earth surviving the effects of the Moon torn from orbit) or continuing on the Moon dealing with the antagonists from UFO, etc.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread or not, but what about an Image comics supers rpg?

There was one superhero rpg done around the time that tried to capture the Image style and tone of comics, even got a license for a supplement based on The Maxx of all things.I can't recall the name off the top of my head but it was really really depressingly horrible

I love that idea! And tack on Space: 1999 and you'd have an interesting set up for either a post-apocalypse world with all those elements (Earth surviving the effects of the Moon torn from orbit) or continuing on the Moon dealing with the antagonists from UFO, etc.
Don't forget UFO having the most under rated opening titles of the 70s. And that music!

Hey, I recognized at least one actor from Forever Knight, the prototypical cheap Canadian fantasy show...
The Forever Knight actors have been working Stratford of late. Except for Catherine Disher, who's settled into a long-term gig over at the Hallmark Channel (they film everything in Canada).
I loved Forever Knight back in the day. I'm kind of surprised I never ran VtM in that "world". Maybe someday in the future I will have to rectify that.

I don't think it was a specific influence, at least not on the first edition; the timing is wrong. But you can do it in oWoD VtM easily enough. About the only sticking point I can see is the flying. A lot of contemporary vampire media had flying vampires, and what looks cool as a one-off on screen very quickly gets out of control in the hands of smart players.

There was one superhero rpg done around the time that tried to capture the Image style and tone of comics, even got a license for a supplement based on The Maxx of all things.I can't recall the name off the top of my head but it was really really depressingly horrible

So it was really true to the source fiction?

So it was really true to the source fiction?
I was working an FLGS/comic store at the time, and I have vague memories of it not being very good. I couldn't tell you why though. It was one of those things you looked at for a couple of minutes, and then put back on the shelf never to touch again.

It was a supplement for the completely forgotten Heroes and Heroines game, to fill in that piece of information.

I was working an FLGS/comic store at the time, and I have vague memories of it not being very good. I couldn't tell you why though. It was one of those things you looked at for a couple of minutes, and then put back on the shelf never to touch again.

It was a supplement for the completely forgotten Heroes and Heroines game, to fill in that piece of information.

I think I remember this game! Was it the one that gave your character's strength as Bench-Press Weight (BPW)? I was actually kind of curious about it.

I think I remember this game! Was it the one that gave your character's strength as Bench-Press Weight (BPW)? I was actually kind of curious about it.
I have no memory of the game's mechanics at all, which is kind of surprising as I spent my whole day around games at that time.

I think I already said but I'd love to see
Katherine Kerr's Deverry Cycle.
David Gemmels Drenai Saga/Rigante Saga

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back