Irrational Indifference in RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I like early 40K and I've been reading a reissue of one of the early books (GW game fiction was pretty decent back then). I know they went through and retconned bits of the stories, like squelching any mention of squats, but at the same time I'm surprised by what they did NOT change... stuff that would make the hard-core fanboys' heads explode.
But yeah, there's no 'canon' 40K because it's constantly changing to suit the marketing fluff. Any version I'd run would have a lot of pulpy Flash Gordon stuff... and alien PCs... and non-chaotic rebels.

A girl I tutor is an anime fan and into anything that features high school drama... which there is plenty of.
Easy to avoid, though I did just start Evangelion... which seems like it might have a bit of that.
Squats are back! There's at least one hanging out on Necromunda; rare, but still around. I think there's some realisation that they fucked up, and writing them out like they did ("Tyranids fall, everybody gets eaten") didn't work; and given they've recently had to redefine Dwarves twice for Sigmar, maybe there was enough design work left over to have another go at the sci-fi ones.

Even if they'd just kept them around as rare abhumans, like Imperial Guard engineer-types rather than full armies, that might have went down better with the fans and still work with the "most of them are dead" excuse.

I am having trouble coming up with something RPG-related that I am actually indifferent about. I mean, if I don't care about something / it holds no interest for me / it doesn't appeal to me, IMHO that's a dislike, not indifference.

Yeah I find trying to figure out which anime is worth watching a real challenge as the fandom seems really uncritical, to the point that even the more professional review sites online are completely unreliable as a guide as well.

I find the anime/manga thread here on the Site is a better guide than anywhere in fandom circles as I know the posters here aren’t the uncritical types who seem to like everything they are presented with.
I think the anime fandom community - especially weabs - seem to have forgotten that Sturgeon's Law applies to anime too. Some of it is really good but there's also bad anime and lots of mediocre anime.

Irrational - ir-ra-tion-al
adjective
Not logical or reasonable

Sorry I let it go the first two threads, but since this one is silly, I'm going to let loose here. Most of the hatreds and loves are perfectly rational and the reasons given.

That is off my chest now, as you were. :dice:

I am wholly indifferent to the “D&D is its own genre” family of criticisms. Yes, it’s it’s own genre, one I love and one that’s been wildly successful also. What was your point again?

I am indifferent to theorycraft. My Threefold Model divides games in Awesome, Okay and Suck. D&D is Awesome. Apocalypse World is Awesome, most of the games it inspired are Okay. Mythras is Awesome but Revolution d100 is Okay. Stay tuned for the inevitable 10,000 word essay in which I persuade you my personal preferences are rooted in rock-solid, unassailable, inescapable logic.

Speaking of which, I am indifferent to sex moves in AW. Didn’t come up, didn’t bother me.

I am, as stated recently, quite indifferent to authorial intent or the lack thereof. If I like your game, I’ll pick it up and do whatever I want with it.

I, like many others here, am indifferent to anime in general; though one might argue my indifference is mostly borne out of ignorance. Same goes for wuxia, really, and Shaw Brothers style king fu stuff.

I am indifferent to anything that’s happening in comics right now. Let me know if there’s anything worth checking out ‘cuz I’m busy hunting down TPBs of old stuff.

PbtA.
Yeah I know, it looks good, its got 'playbooks', it's generic, it's shiny, it could be fun to try,
but ...meh :quiet:

Indifference is a tough one. I can watch a movie or eat a meal that I feel largely indifferent about I frequently do. I can also play a board game by just broadly going through motions as long as company is good.

But I find trying to play a roleplaying game when your not really feeling it is hard. The whole roleplaying experience revolves around personal investment. Without that, it's becomes all rather hollow experience and frankly I'd rather do something else, including watching that movie or eating that meal I feel largely indifferent about.

It's unfortunate, but roleplaying for me isn't like pizza.

I am indifferent to theorycraft. My Threefold Model divides games in Awesome, Okay and Suck. D&D is Awesome. Apocalypse World is Awesome, most of the games it inspired are Okay. Mythras is Awesome but Revolution d100 is Okay. Stay tuned for the inevitable 10,000 word essay in which I persuade you my personal preferences are rooted in rock-solid, unassailable, inescapable logic.
This is the only threefold model that matters...
1583065947760.png

PbtA. I positively love Apocalypse World, but the thing is the moniker PbtA does nothing to me, does not mean anything to me, I am indifferent to it. Occasionally I find some games that I like, like IronSworn or The Bloody-Handed Name of Bronze, but I feel I like them on their own merits, for reasons that have nothing to do with the PbtA association.

I am indifferent to D20's and hobby in-jokes directly associated with them. "NAT TWENTY BRO!" "NATTY!" "NOOO NOT A NATTY ONE! DO I TRIP ON MY SHOELACES?!" I'm glad it excites some people but frankly I just don't get the fascination with that particular polyhedral outside its historical attachment to the hobby. For me it's no more exciting or satisfying to roll than anything else, aside from maybe a D4.

Unfortunately I'm way too opinionated to be indifferent on most things. I tend to SCOFF INCREDULOUSLY at things I'm not into. At least until proven otherwise un-SCOFFWORTHY.

And yes, it does happen! Pleasantly!

Multiclassing.
When you've got to multiclass, you're already playing a game with classes, so it's gonna suck no matter what. I get it that you want to make the experience more palatable, but unless you go for changing it into a kind of Career-based system, it's unlikely to work anyway. So...nice to have the option, but in the end, it's still meh:tongue:!

I'm indifferent to several genres - martial arts, sci-fantasy, Westerns, steampunk (used to like it but now "meh"), cyberpunk. Most of them I could take or leave.

Vehicle rules (I've never really understood what they're for).

Space combat rules (or rather the lack of them which people complain about) - they seem easily improvisable to me at the level of granularity I have any patience for.

Space combat rules (or rather the lack of them which people complain about) - they seem easily improvisable to me at the level of granularity I have any patience for.
That seems to be the key:thumbsup:.

Reactions: TJS
I’m indifferent to the argument on THACO and the fanatics on both sides, it’s the largest non-issue in the history of D&D flamewars.
I so much want to agree with this, as I was going to say something similar; yet my indifference says I don't care if wrote this or not, heh heh :smile:

that is the key to my game "ROCKETSHIPS Exclamation Point!" I swiped the movement rules from "World War Tesla;" you can move in any direction, and you can end the turn facing any direction. I thought, "my God that's brilliant!"

Although I really like WFRP, everything about 40K leaves me completely uninterested in it. When I hear people start to talk 40K ‘canon’ my indifference collapses into itself like a Black Hole.

I am fairly indifferent to 40K too. The only reason I try to care about it is that there's so much stuff for it and a lot of people who are interested in it, so it's easy to find or make a campaign for it. But it's all kind of meh to me.

I've been thinking about it some lately, since I'm in one Deathwatch campaign and I'm considering running a Rogue Trader campaign (again, because it's really easy to find games and players!) I think it's the sheer pileup of aesthetics and tropes that just kills it. It's like... it's a hard science fiction setting, except it's actually a fantasy setting IN SPACE, except it's actually a dark Heavy Metal inspired space opera, except it's actually a parody of dark space operas, except it's actually... Yeah. At a certain point, my brain just gives up on trying to make sense of it and conclude that there is nothing here to understand, it's just a bunch of random words bunched together.

And that's just the setting as a whole. Then there are things like the Blood Angels. Who are space marines who are also genetically engineered supersoldiers who are also avenging-angel metaphores who are also warrior monks who are also vampires who are also berserkers and DEAR LORD MAKE IT STOP! D<

I suppose "indifference" isn't quite the right term, I admit. It's more like... I have no idea what, if anything, to feel about something this gratuitously convoluted.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back