Is Anyone Still Playing Vampire 5th Edition?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My view on the Clan thing is that the seven included in V5 are the same as in V1 and V2 and represent the Clans of ‘normal’ vampire society. The other Clans are more peripheral, and aren’t necessary to make a classic V:TM chronicle. That said, it is nice to have them all in one place. I think the Modiphius’ plan was to use the Player’s Guide to detail the rest - but they fell through.

If you got the Camarilla and Anarch books you do get the Banu Haqim and The Ministry respectively, which works well enough for me. Ditto the Cults of Blood Gods - which is a natural fit for Hecata (and to detail Giovanni, Cappadocian, etc). I’m not sure Chicago by Night was would have been the best place to drop in another Clan, but the Lasombra are necessary to the plot line in the Chronicle outlined in the book. I personally wonder whether the Lasombra will defect back to the Sabbat by the time the Sabbat book comes to fruition, and it wouldn’t be entirely unworkable to make Ravnos join too. So they could have an official release to get the remaining Clans, including Tzmisce too, all included. If we also get an interesting, and possibly PC-playable approach to The Second Inquisition book, we will have a pretty complete line. Then they can start building on Werewolf: The Apocalypse 5th edition and see where that takes the line.....

Yeah I was really hopeing they would put them all in the players guide - that would also totally work for me.

I think the killer was putting the Lasombra in Chicago by Night. Putting player facing info in a product like that is just silly and smacks of money grabbing.

Yeah I was really hopeing they would put them all in the players guide - that would also totally work for me.

I think the killer was putting the Lasombra in Chicago by Night. Putting player facing info in a product like that is just silly and smacks of money grabbing.
Well, like I say, if you read Chicago by Night the Lasombra are pretty central to the Chronicle included in it. I’d also note that Chicago by Night is technically, and oddly, a third party release also - by The Onyx Path rather than WW (or Paradox, or Modiphius at the time, or Renegade Studios now). I don’t know how the communication went down behind the scenes in terms of planning the supplemental releases.

It's a fantastic book so it's hard for me to complain but I played in Chicago in my high school years. "The Sacrifice" Is an amazing Chronicle I've used multiple times with my group.

I personally wonder whether the Lasombra will defect back to the Sabbat by the time the Sabbat book comes to fruition, and it wouldn’t be entirely unworkable to make Ravnos join too.

Matthew Dawkins (and CBN) said only half of the Lasombra defected. It just gives the Camarilla a slight majority. The design philosophy of V5 is that any Clan can be part of any sect now. So you can have Tzimisce Anarchs now and it's not game-breaking. I think that's why the Disciplines were combined as well. Now no Clan has any esoteric powers so there's game balance enough that you don't need to cordoned them off.

Well, like I say, if you read Chicago by Night the Lasombra are pretty central to the Chronicle included in it. I’d also note that Chicago by Night is technically, and oddly, a third party release also - by The Onyx Path rather than WW (or Paradox, or Modiphius at the time, or Renegade Studios now). I don’t know how the communication went down behind the scenes in terms of planning the supplemental releases.

Near as I can tell, Paradox/White Wolf is quite happy to license supplements and game material to whoever they want as long as you pitch. It's just OPP has a much-much more consistent release schedule. Hence why Vault Comics is able to provide canon material for Saint Paul/Minneapolis and LA by Night the web show is canon for LA.

The Players Guide was meant to have all of the Clans so releasing Lasombra and Hecate separately wasn't going to make those books necessities. It just didn't work that way.

Last edited:
I did a thread about this rather than posting it here but I like that Justin Achilli seems to have a firm vision for what he wants V5 to be under his leadership.

I did a thread about this rather than posting it here but I like that Justin Achilli seems to have a firm vision for what he wants V5 to be under his leadership.

I’d also say that Matthew Dawkins was hosting questions on the V5 Facebook page this week, so maybe things are beginning to get moving on the line again. I know that there are a number of releases, long pending, that are starting to deliver now.

So, I've been writing some campaign notes for my "Requiem for Roanoke" chronicle. I'm hoping to get it going by this weekend.

Who all is going to play the Requiem for Roanoke and what covenant do you guys want to roll with? I'll have a poll and a signup/interest check thread up later today.

Last edited:
Which city is it set in?

Boston.

The premise is the new Prince of Boston is absorbing the city of Hartford into her domain and sets up an enormous party for it. Then she gets murdered that very night and you have to solve it before its civil war in the two cities. It will include information from Dark Colony and the Giovanni Chronicles. You'll also play three separate Cainites doing the investigating.

I'm hoping to weasel my way into a Vampire5e game set in Detroit, ran by someone who started roleplaying in my Qing dynasty campaign...:grin:
But the competition is stiff to say the least. Like, from what I know, I'm one of about 15 potential players:shade:.

Cool, Winter's Teeth #1 will be one of the comics given away on Free Comic Book Day! Hopefully this will help promote the series to being a Top 100 comic regularly.

Yeah, I’ve ordered the book itself, although the rest is just a bit too much for me (cost-wise). Unfortunately, it is taking forever for the book to get to me with the shipping problems.
Yeah this seemed to me to be something a large LARP group might buy, not so much for the 4-6 player TTRPG crowd.

I have a feeling, having communicated with someone at Renegade recently, that once the international shipping situations are sorted, they might start cracking up new releases for WoD games quite a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if they release both Werewolf and Hunter next year, for example. And there may be several Vampire releases.

Yeah this seemed to me to be something a large LARP group might buy, not so much for the 4-6 player TTRPG crowd.
Even there I don't think most LARP groups will want to spent this much on a prop.

(I suspect the target market is people wanting a cool collectible rather than anything to be used in a game).

Even there I don't think most LARP groups will want to spent this much on a prop.

(I suspect the target market is people wanting a cool collectible rather than anything to be used in a game).
That's called "going after where the money are", I believe:thumbsup:.

I think that the two groups can often blend. There are LARPers who get full dental jobs to have vampire teeth....

T Trippy , didn't want to derail the Paranoia thread with this, but what were the sorts of changes to V5 when reprinted by Renegade? If you know.

T Trippy , didn't want to derail the Paranoia thread with this, but what were the sorts of changes to V5 when reprinted by Renegade? If you know.
They were covered with the V5 Companion release, if you had that. They basically adjusted the Blood Potency table, to boost its effects slightly and clarified things like Frenzy and when to roll, etc. It wasn’t major at all, but if you have a book with a Renegade rather than Modiphius publishing credit on it, or just a new PDF, then these slight changes are integrated.

Around $70 CAD compared to $75 for the other books.

giphy.gif

I remember saving up to purchase the core White Wolf HC rulebooks circa '95 for $30 a pop.

According to this inflation calculator $30 USD in 95' is just under $55 today.

Yeah and $50-55 is what I'd expect to pay for a Hardcover corebook right now. I could live with that. Granted, I know White Wolf has an infantismal fraction of the sales they had back then, but you hit $70 or higher, and I'm like - "you ain't Warhammer buddy"

Yeah and $50-55 is what I'd expect to pay for a Hardcover corebook right now. I could live with that. Granted, I know White Wolf has an infantismal fraction of the sales they had back then, but you hit $70 or higher, and I'm like - "you ain't Warhammer buddy"
Also worth noting that V5 has a lot more full colour art and, curiously, a significantly higher page count than your typical 1990s White Wolf hardcover.

I say ‘curiously’ because, at the time I felt like White Wolf core rule books were massive, but I think there has been a fair amount of 'page inflation' in core rule books, generally, these days to. Imagine anything being published like the 700 page Mage 20th Anniversary in the 1990s!

Also worth noting that V5 has a lot more full colour art and, curiously, a significantly higher page count than your typical 1990s White Wolf hardcover.
Personally I'd rather have more page count of material than color art for the money, or at least good B&W art w/a lower price point.
I can find all the color for vampire art I want online.

Personally I'd rather have more page count of material than color art for the money, or at least good B&W art w/a lower price point.
I can find all the color for vampire art I want online.
Well, great.

Although we should have no doubt that other people would be complaining if the book wasn’t in full colour. People like complaining either way.

I'm not complaining, just giving my preference.
I understand why they do it. Color art is more of a 'collectable' and attractive selling point.
I personally find B&W art to be more horror inducing, like the spookiness of an old silent film w/out music or creepy static filled old record from the 40s similar to Bioshock. I don't think The Shining would have been scarier if they put in disco.

But then again...

horror disco.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back