Is the US about to leave the global postal union

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I don't think we can properly discuss this here, but yeah it's being threatened and yes it's messed up with possibly horrible consequences. However, note this only affects national postal services, not private couriers, so if worse comes to worse it may simply be a transition to that market

I'm not going to auto close this thread, but this is a politically volatile topic so anyone who replies please keep that in mind.

All I can say is I'm glad most KS moved away from including international postage for n their pledges and moved to coat at time of shipment.

I don't think we can properly discuss this here, but yeah it's being threatened and yes it's messed up with possibly horrible consequences. However, note this only affects national postal services, not private couriers, so if worse comes to worse it may simply be a transition to that market

I'm not going to auto close this thread, but this is a politically volatile topic so anyone who replies please keep that in mind.
Sorry. I didn’t even think of the political implications, just the practical ones.

Sorry. I didn’t even think of the political implications, just the practical ones.

No worries, I understand. The practical consequences are going to be worldwide. I've already started looking into alternative shipping options, as I do a bunch of international sales

This is the first I've heard of this and I can't research deeply at work. Can someone summarize the practical effects for those of us who buy International? I buy a lot of minis from the UK and sometimes Poland.

This is the first I've heard of this and I can't research deeply at work. Can someone summarize the practical effects for those of us who buy International? I buy a lot of minis from the UK and sometimes Poland.

Essentially right now international postal prices have been "protected", meaning they are set artificially by international standards. By removing this protection they will be suddenly exposed to real world inflation of the last 80years, meaning they are likely to skyrocket before stabilizing at "true value" ,m which could be as much as comparing the price of a gallon of gasoline in1950 to today.. The thing is that these artificial prices have specifically protected certain countries while burdonung others, which is why it's cheaper for someone in China to send a package to the us than it is to ship the same package between states. And I think that's as much asI can say while keeping this topic neutral Definitely worth googling when you get home

Essentially right now international postal prices have been "protected", meaning they are set artificially by international standards. By removing this protection they will be suddenly exposed to real world inflation of the last 80years, meaning they are likely to skyrocket before stabilizing at "true value" ,m which could be as much as comparing the price of a gallon of gasoline in1950 to today.. The thing is that these artificial prices have specifically protected certain countries while burdonung others, which is why it's cheaper for someone in China to send a package to the us than it is to ship the same package between states. And I think that's as much asI can say while keeping this topic neutral Definitely worth googling when you get home
If I understand correcty the US submitted an amended agreement to the union that could take the place of the old agreement. However if it is not agreed on the US will pull out of the agreement. I am not sure what the new agreement stipulates.

EdIt: on second thought, drifting too far into politics. This is an important world event with pressing concerns for everyone, but the Pub is a bad venue for discussing it. Google lots of sources because this has many sides

Last edited:
It's not clear if the effect of the US pulling out would have on everyone else last I checked. They might all decide to abandon the agreement or they may all stay in and work separate deals out with the US.

A wait and see attitude might be the best.

It would seem incredibly difficult to negotiate separately with so many countries. Is it true prior to the agreement that people mailing overseas had to have stamps for both (sender and receiver) countries? Its hard for me to believe because I can't imagin 1920's Dallas selling stamps for all of Europe for example.

My one consolidation is that most of the foreign stuff I buy is from Europe and not from developing countries. I would think their rates are much the same as ours

I have a feeling this will work itself out in the long run. I’m not interested in the political aspect, but in the practical.

I dont want to talk policy or why this is happening; I only want to discuss the possible impact on me buying minis overseas LOL
Are you in the US? Do any of your minis coming from what is considered by the UN to be a developing country? Because if they are the cost to ship to the US could go up a lot.

It would seem incredibly difficult to negotiate separately with so many countries. Is it true prior to the agreement that people mailing overseas had to have stamps for both (sender and receiver) countries? Its hard for me to believe because I can't imagin 1920's Dallas selling stamps for all of Europe for example.

How many people do you think were sending international mail in 1920. That's not far from when my grandmother was a telephone operator in Atlanta and talked about there being only three long distance lines to San Francisco for the whole city to use.

Are you in the US? Do any of your minis coming from what is considered by the UN to be a developing country? Because if they are the cost to ship to the US could go up a lot.
I am in the US and buy miniatures from the UK.

This is largely about China and whether or not it should still be seen as a developing nation and have postage rates set accordingly. Assuming something gets resolved there I believe this will all go away. I have reason to think something will get worked out there and then everything else will go on as usual. Prices might not even change but who is covering the subsidy might.

I often order blu rays from the US to Canada to feed my B-movie addiction, will this effect the shipping costs which are often already too high?

Where are you?
I often order blu rays from the US to Canada to feed my B-movie addiction, will this effect the shipping costs which are often already too high?

Am I right this only affects packages under 4.6lbs?

<insert friendly jab at my royalist friends>

There is a politically neutral article on what the affects of this are likely to be on redstagfufillment.com. It’s from last year but it forecast a lot of interesting changes, some good, some bad. This could me a major opportunity for freight handlers like FedEx.

How many people do you think were sending international mail in 1920. That's not far from when my grandmother was a telephone operator in Atlanta and talked about there being only three long distance lines to San Francisco for the whole city to use.
I’m not sure, what do you think? For sure there was heavy European migration before WWI, that might mean there was a lot of international mail...

we call our dollars "loonies" because they are emblazoned with a picture of a loon, and our $2 coins "twoonies"
I'd say it reflects your mentality but I live in the US. That's not a fight I want to get into.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back