Jackals: Bronze Age Fantasy Roleplaying

CRKrueger

Eläytyminatör
Reaction score
Well, the game is based on OpenQuest, which is an OGL product. If they want to make an OpenQuest game, they have to use the OGL.

To be fair, they’re hardly the first “No Open Content” people out there. If they’re not making any system additions, and the only new stuff is their setting, it makes a lot more sense to say ”No Open Content” then to list three paragraphs of proprietary content.

Ronnie Sanford

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well, the game is based on OpenQuest, which is an OGL product. If they want to make an OpenQuest game, they have to use the OGL.

To be fair, they’re hardly the first “No Open Content” people out there. If they’re not making any system additions, and the only new stuff is their setting, it makes a lot more sense to say ”No Open Content” then to list three paragraphs of proprietary content.
That’s the way I feel about it though I admit I don’t particularly care one way or the other for the OGL.

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
But in practice it sure sesms like they are making system additions, so it's all theoretical at this point. It's just that those aren't OGL.

Nick J

Members Only
Reaction score
I'm fairly nonplussed by their OGL/Non-OGL stance seeing as how they seem to want to reap all of the benefits of using Open Content themselves. I'm glad I came here to see if anybody else was having trouble logging into the Osprey Website. Couple the OGL thing with the fact that they don't even throw in a free PDF with a dead-tree book (a 25% discount is pretty meh) and you can color me unimpressed.

Reactions: jay

Ronnie Sanford

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly nonplussed by their OGL/Non-OGL stance seeing as how they seem to want to reap all of the benefits of using Open Content themselves. I'm glad I came here to see if anybody else was having trouble logging into the Osprey Website. Couple the OGL thing with the fact that they don't even throw in a free PDF with a dead-tree book (a 25% discount is pretty meh) and you can color me unimpressed.
Yeah I don’t care much about the OGL but the pricey PDF is annoying. MW (or Delta Green) will likely continue being my favorite but I think there is a definite play for a high quality, supported BRP lite game. I hope it does well!

Nick J

Members Only
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t care much about the OGL but the pricey PDF is annoying. MW (or Delta Green) will likely continue being my favorite but I think there is a definite play for a high quality, supported BRP lite game. I hope it does well!
No to derail too much, but I just got my backer copy of OpenQuest 3rd ed. today from @Newt Newport and it looks great from what I've read so far.

RunningLaser

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just a counter point, but in Osprey's Romance of the Perilous Land, all rules, tables and house rules are stated as open content. The fiction, writing and stuff about the Perilous Land is copyright of the author. So not sure why one is open content and not the other.

Teyrnon

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Just a counter point, but in Osprey's Romance of the Perilous Land, all rules, tables and house rules are stated as open content. The fiction, writing and stuff about the Perilous Land is copyright of the author. So not sure why one is open content and not the other.
I suspect Osprey is leaving these things up to the individual authors. The high degree of variation in systems between the games in their RPG and with different authors and illustrators for each one suggests the company isn't exerting an overarching influence over it but is just publishing the work their authors produce. It's kind of refreshing.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com