Jerry Springer RIP

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Didn't realize he was a formerly disgraced politican caught sleeping with sex workers. He certainly leaned into that sleazy reputation and made a forture from it.

I used to watch the show regularly during its peak as its mix of carny exploitation appealed to me but it eventually became repetitive and moved away from its freakshow roots towards white trash bum fights which I found less engaging.

Didn't realize he was a formerly disgraced politican caught sleeping with sex workers. He certainly leaned into that sleazy reputation and made a forture from it.

I used to watch the show regularly during its peak as its mix of carny exploitation appealed to me but it eventually became repetitive and moved away from its freakshow roots towards white trash bum fights which I found less engaging.
I had dorm mates who where constantly trying to get on that show with the most amazing made up stuff.

When I worked on an ambulance, a lot of the crews watched Springer and the similar spin offs. I was always baffled at the interest until one explained it was like watching previews for the day ahead. That was a pretty accurate if depressing truth.

Never saw his show, but I did watch the spoof "Night Stand", if anyone remebers it. It probably has not aged well, I enjoyed it at the time.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Springer's show started out as more of a traditional talk show, but that wasn't getting ratings, so then they went in the more bonkers direction. [citation needed]

One of the lows or highs of US television, depending upon how you look at it
Jerry Springer made his mark, that's for sure

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Springer's show started out as more of a traditional talk show, but that wasn't getting ratings, so then they went in the more bonkers direction. [citation needed]
That's what I heard also. It was also geared more towards helping people at first, and being a legitimate outlet for that.

I can confirm that. I was pretty into watching daytime talkshows with my Mom, our favourite by far was Donahue who took it more seriously and responsibily than most (including the often trashy early years of Oprah) and Springer started off as a more conventional daytime show before he found his very lucrative niche.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back