July is "Independence from Hasbro" Month

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I did watch his early videos and they were okay, most of his GM advice was solid but unremarkable.

I prefer actual analysis of play material and how to tweak and adapt it to purely GM advice and industry gossip.

His commentary got more blowhardy over time to me and then he seems to have committed to that 'persona' full-time.

Don't feel like I need to keep on checking in to drive up his views and hear him repeat himself.

To me it is just an extension of 'don't feed the trolls.' Don't reward mediocre YTers with the views.

He addresses your concerns, citizen

That's a good point.

I also think it would be a lot harder for WotC to pull a move like this now that everyone is suspicious of them. If they had opened their own storefront before the OGL disaster, they would have had a much easier time luring 3rd-party designers into it.

Irony, eh? Their greed for ALL the moolah was the one thing that stopped them getting (nearly) ALL the moolah!

For a while I watched a YouTuber for 40K and minis named Discourse Miniatures (IIRC). I stopped watching her because I realized all she was posting eventually were click baits. Imagine my surprise yesterday when Youtibe recommended “Dungeons and Discourse” and it was the same person, doing the same thing, with a different part of the hobby.

Basically “chicken little sky falling click bait”

I thought her recent video on the Pinkertons was great -

And she just had a very good one on sandbox gaming

Clearly you are just racist against we Norn Irish :tongue:

It's not a great algorithm model, honestly, as it's turning my (and presumably everyone's) feed into already-popular recommendations featuring thumbnails with a click-baity title next to the creator pulling a silly face.
I hate that fucking phenomenon so much I don't have the words to describe it. I need new words. Harsher words.

Yeah, the failing of the YouTube algorithm is it only puts forward videos that get lots of views to recommend to non-subscribers, so those videos get more views from non-subscribers and get pushed harder to more non-subscribers, etc, etc.

If you're just watching Prof DM's videos from what pops up in your Home feed, then yeah, he looks like a click-baity drama peddler. But that's only because YouTube isn't shilling all the other videos on other topics that come out in between those sorts, so they don't get as many views, so they don't get pushed as hard, so they don't get as many views, etc, etc.

It's not a great algorithm model, honestly, as it's turning my (and presumably everyone's) feed into already-popular recommendations featuring thumbnails with a click-baity title next to the creator pulling a silly face.

I hate that fucking phenomenon so much I don't have the words to describe it. I need new words. Harsher words.
It does help if you downrate or hide the click bait stuff. It can take a while but eventually they learn you don't want to see it.

It does help if you downrate or hide the click bait stuff. It can take a while but eventually they learn you don't want to see it.
The issue is, the video itself probably isn't click-baity at all. But the latest algorithm favors videos whose thumbnails fit into that AI-recognizable pattern, of if the creators want their videos to appear in my or your feed, they have to perform to the specifications of what Friend Computer wants.

Like the Prof DM video above isn't at all about him exhorting people not to watch his videos if they don't like them, it's him explaining that he DOES make the content people are telling him to focus on - in higher proportions - but because more people have viewed the controversy coverage, YouTube is HIDING those in favor of the controversy videos. Unfortunately, if he wants Friend Computer to actually let us know that video exists, then the current iteration requires him to slap a stupid title on the thumbnail with a picture of him making an exaggerated "No, stay away" face.

Professor DM addressing our concerns

Yep, good video. He really isn't into clickbait videos. I've been following him for the past couple years and while I don't always agree with him, I appreciate his videos. Heck I'm not even the target audience since I'm trying not to be a player or gm of DnD and it's variants but around here I'm stuck dealing with that umbrella of games if I want to play.

S sharps54 They looked to be on when I watched the video. Though I wouldn't blame him if he turned them off since the snipes are thick in our hobby anymore.

Yep, good video. He really isn't into clickbait videos. I've been following him for the past couple years and while I don't always agree with him, I appreciate his videos. Heck I'm not even the target audience since I'm trying not to be a player or gm of DnD and it's variants but around here I'm stuck dealing with that umbrella of games if I want to play.

S sharps54 They looked to be on when I watched the video. Though I wouldn't blame him if he turned them off since the snipes are thick in our hobby anymore.
Yep, they are on now.

What drives me nuts is that the videos probably don't even have shouting or goofballing, but the algorithm demands every video thumbnail imply shouting goofballs.

It would be like if some AI forced every RPG rulebook to have photos of edgy katana kids on the front cover, no matter what the game was - contents unchanged. Vampire the Masquerade? Edgy katana kids. Shadowrun? Edgy katana kids. D&D? Edgy katana kids. Mythras? Edgy katana kids. Call of Cthulhu? Edgy katana kids. Mutants and Masterminds? Edgy katana kids.

You'd have no idea what the actual contents were, just like modern YouTube videos.

German speakers! What's the word for the smell you experience when trapped in the back of a smashed car and the driver shit himself when his head came off?
I think "agglutination" is a fake concept.

Like, the difference between washing machine cleaner and washingmachinecleaner is just spacing. If you were saying it and not writing it there is no difference at all.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back