Just cool pics

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Ah, that's right. They tend to get referred to a lot as "the Grady twins" in discussions about the film, but it was actually the actresses who were twins, not the characters.

What confused you about who they were and who killed them? The Charles vs. Delbert Grady name issue?

I don't think they are the Grady's children. Kubrick woudn't have added in that element of the children being different ages and then used twins, he was far too meticulous for that. The discrepency suggests that he's trying to draw our attention to something, but I don't know what that is. Are they related to the old lady twins that Jack encounters in Room 208? Do they represent something that Danny's shining is trying to communicate to him? I don't know yet. But I'm pretty certain they aren't related to Grady.

Baulderstone

Reaction score
I don't think they are the Grady's children. Kubrick woudn't have added in that element of the children being different ages and then used twins, he was far too meticulous for that. The discrepency suggests that he's trying to draw our attention to something, but I don't know what that is. Are they related to the old lady twins that Jack encounters in Room 208? Do they represent something that Danny's shining is trying to communicate to him? I don't know yet. But I'm pretty certain they aren't related to Grady.
They are Delbert Grady's kids. As for them being twins, it's not like they are identical twins, so casting them as non-twins makes sense. Kubrick isn't perfect anyway. There are continuity errors with Delbert Grady being called Charles at times.

Last edited:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
They are Delbert Grady's kids. As for them being twins, it's not like they are identical twins, so casting them as non-twins makes sense. Kubrick isn't perfect anyway. There are continuity errors with Delbert Grady being called Charles at times.

I just don't think those are Continuity errors, I think they were very deliberate. I don't know about Kubrick being perfect, but he was definitely a perfectionist, and made very deliberate choices. The Delbert/Charles disparity already has a pretty obvious explanation in the film, but I haven't seen one for the twins, besides the allusions to James Mason's daughters who visited the set. But it's not like Kubrick is around to confirm or deny anything, so I guess it's up to the individual viewer to decide.

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com