Just doing my duty

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You said doody! Hehehehe

I have a little protip - despite what the voices are telling you, they didn't stop making music in 1985 after all. Turns out folks are still doing it. :thumbsup:
Check some copyright dates and discover an artist called Aimee Mann. Might look up Flowers in the Dirt while you're at it. :thumbsup:

I actually don’t like today’s music. I tried to watch the American Music Awards and except for Green Day doing “Basket Case” the other performances were just blah or worse. I know I’m considered an oldie for radio station demographics. I don’t make the cutoff 1985, but past 2000 I can’t get into it. I did think “Hey Ya” by OutKast was the best new song I heard that decade though.

I actually don’t like today’s music. I tried to watch the American Music Awards and except for Green Day doing “Basket Case” the other performances were just blah or worse. I know I’m considered an oldie for radio station demographics. I don’t make the cutoff 1985, but past 2000 I can’t get into it. I did think “Hey Ya” by OutKast was the best new song I heard that decade though.
Sturgeon's law applies to music as much as anything else. There was plenty of rubbish published in the '60s, '70s and '80s. Some examples of 'worst music' polls are cited below, although I think the music in those polls would better fit a definition of 'most annoying' rather than 'worst'. I've heard far worse in pubs and view myself as an equal-opportunity curmudgeon when it comes to eras of music.

Music awards shows have always been crap. Lots of good music out there it just doesn't get any radioplay on commerical stations. Check out the NPR Tiny Desk performances on YT and you may be surprised to find many good new musicians as well as some legends.

To ease poor Baulderstone Baulderstone's mind, the records were in no particular arrangement by category or alphabet or year of issue, completely haphazard, and the albums that got demoted to the back were Taylor Swift, the soundtrack to Frozen 2, Justin Timberlake, Ed Sheeran, and such. If Nobby-W Nobby-W thinks those are on par with the ones I promoted, he's free to reshuffle them.

Lots of good music getting done these days.

I feel like stoner rock is to hard rock as the OSR is to TSR, if that makes any sense.

Greta Van Fleet is also a fun band that sometimes gets accused of “aping” Led Zeppelin (IMHO because kids these days have no idea what hard rock sounds like outside of Led Zeppelin).

I’m on the street right now but I might link some songs later.

While I think that the Patti Smith and Bee Gees records should switch places, I can find no other fault with your arrangement.

I, um, kinda like those. Like, all of those.

Am I out of touch, musically? Or is my taste so sophisticated that even I don't understand it?
You don't seem that out of touch. The list is the result of a reader's poll, and if look at the commentary on each song, the guy writing the article is actually defending most of the songs.

With both lists, I'd say that they aren't so much the worst songs of their decades as they are lists of songs that were so inescapable in their time that people got really sick of them.

As for modern music, I don't know that music itself has gotten worse. I just think the music industry has gotten worse as media companies consolidate and corporate thinking has gotten more hold over it. Fortunately, the Internet has made the music industry increasingly irrelevant.

Admittedly, I don't often encounter good new music, but I don't really hunt for it much anymore. I was a complete music nerd in my teens and twenties, always looking for something new and different, but I've reached an age where I am more likely to listen to something old that I haven't heard in a long time than go out hunting for something new.

Sturgeon's law applies to music as much as anything else. There was plenty of rubbish published in the '60s, '70s and '80s.

Yes and that has been sorted out, unlike the current batch where much of the rubbish is still being played on the radio (in the process of being sorted).

Agree that there is some good stuff being done at the present time, after all Ozzy is releasing a new album. :devil:

Am I out of touch, musically? Or is my taste so sophisticated that even I don't understand it?
I agree! But I think most of those got such heavy air play they might have worn people down. Seriously, "We built this city" had to have been played on the hour every hour.

I'm the outlier I guess. I've generally like each years music about as much as the last. Maybe not every year but close.

Checking the list, nearly all of them are in heavy rotation on the local 80s station. I know when I hear "80s music" from another source, it's very likely to be one of those songs if it's not Take on Me. Not surprising as nearly all those 80s stations are owned by the same broadcasting company and they all have the same setlists.

Since it was a poll, I imagine it was mostly just younger people naming the only 80s songs they knew due to hearing it played every hour on their local 80s channel.

Checking the list, nearly all of them are in heavy rotation on the local 80s station. I know when I hear "80s music" from another source, it's very likely to be one of those songs if it's not Take on Me. Not surprising as nearly all those 80s stations are owned by the same broadcasting company and they all have the same setlists.

Since it was a poll, I imagine it was mostly just younger people naming the only 80s songs they knew due to hearing it played every hour on their local 80s channel.

Yeah it is pretty sad the lack of musical diversity on radio / satellite these days. I used to joke about a local small town country station because I had a larger collection of country music on the shelf than they did, and I don't have much. These days I can say that about most radio stations (exception being those playing the most current), even the big ones because most have basically just become top 20 stations within their genre.

Yeah it is pretty sad the lack of musical diversity on radio / satellite these days. I used to joke about a local small town country station because I had a larger collection of country music on the shelf than they did, and I don't have much. These days I can say that about most radio stations (exception being those playing the most current), even the big ones because most have basically just become top 20 stations within their genre.
And most stations these days are some variant of oldies/classic rock, so they don't even need to vary the few songs they play.

I was listening to the radio over the summer, and a station played "Steppin' Out". After the song, the DJ mentioned that Joe Jackson has a new album out and it was really good so people should give it a listen. Not that he could play a track from it on the radio for us, of course.

Really happy I live in Chicago, where we have multiple college radio stations that are free to play whatever they damn well please. Although I have a CD player in my car and own an absurd number of CDs, I rarely listen to the CDs because the college stations play so much interesting music, which I've often never heard or heard of before.

Heh heh...I happened to switch around on the radio dial this morning since the news went to commercials and heard one of those godawful radio "personalities"/deejays introduce his 2nd favorite song (a really bad song) and drone on about how much he loves it...and then proceed to talk over the entire introduction even into the singing. Reminded me of why I almost exclusively listen to NPR and AM newsradio.

Im in the same boat. Listen to NPR on the way to and from work. Pretty much all the radio time I get nowadays.

In 1979, NME's review by Barney Hoskyns claimed London Calling had one good song on it, and it was the cover of "Brand New Cadillac."
Al Jorgensen once gave an interview to NME, and smoked crack throughout.

I should think it almost mandatory--based on the inane questions asked and the abject musical ignorance displayed by most of the music press--for a musician to derange his senses in order to deal with a music journalist.

I should think it almost mandatory--based on the inane questions asked and the abject musical ignorance displayed by most of the music press--for a musician to derange his senses in order to deal with a music journalist.
On the topic of inane questions, Eric Idle just appeared on Conan O'Brien's podcast, and Conan mentioned that he really didn't want to fall into asking the same Monty Python questions the Idle has answered a thousand times. The conversation turned to his friendship with George Harrison, and Idle said that Harrison was a huge fan, and would always be asking questions about Python, but it was okay as Idle could then retaliate by hitting Harrison with questions about The Beatles.

NME, or as I call them, the Enemy (say it, you'll see why) have been the bane of British music journalism since the 70s. Ran by patronising failed.musicians who seem to despise artists who have any success outside the UK.

NME, or as I call them, the Enemy (say it, you'll see why) have been the bane of British music journalism since the 70s. Ran by patronising failed.musicians who seem to despise artists who have any success outside the UK.
I can remember when NME fanboy-ism was a thing. That phenomenon even got as far as New Zealand.

I was born in 1981, so I don't really have proper 80's nostalgia, I have GTA : Vice City nostalgia.
TBH you didn't really miss all that much. Padded shoulders, tapered jeans and skinny leather ties were well overrated, and as for mullets ...

The best thing to come out of the 1980s was the BBC Micro. Change my mind.

Lots of good music getting done these days.

I feel like stoner rock is to hard rock as the OSR is to TSR, if that makes any sense.

Greta Van Fleet is also a fun band that sometimes gets accused of “aping” Led Zeppelin (IMHO because kids these days have no idea what hard rock sounds like outside of Led Zeppelin).

I’m on the street right now but I might link some songs later.

that analogy makes sense to me, and i feel it. I've been getting into stoner rock a bit myself. I don't even consume pot (stupid federal government) but it's some good stuff.

I enjoy Greta Van Fleet quite a bit, but i'm also a Zeppelin fan.

Apparently Rob Halford said his favorite album of the year was Fear Inoculum, so he clearly has excellent taste.

TBH you didn't really miss all that much. Padded shoulders, tapered jeans and skinny leather ties were well overrated, and as for mullets ...
I'l give you that, but a Coca Cola shirt and swatch still hold up as a timeless look for any occasion.

that analogy makes sense to me, and i feel it. I've been getting into stoner rock a bit myself. I don't even consume pot (stupid federal government) but it's some good stuff.

Apparently Rob Halford said his favorite album of the year was Fear Inoculum, so he clearly has excellent taste.

Don’t do pot either, and in fact often refer to bands obliquely as doom, sludge or psycho rock, but stoner rock is the more current shorthand.

And Fear Inoculum??? Isn’t that *gulp* prog rock?

Don’t do pot either, and in fact often refer to bands obliquely as doom, sludge or psycho rock, but stoner rock is the more current shorthand.

And Fear Inoculum??? Isn’t that *gulp* prog rock?

yep, i would say so. i think everyone thinks of tool as prog. it's just tool to me :smile:

The best thing to come out of the 1980s was the BBC Micro. Change my mind.

I don't know, the Cold War certainly provided a lot of cultural references, and a certain amount of stability. It was pretty clearly us and them (and of course the French who ignored everybody else and did their own thing), where as these days it is us, and them, and those guys, and those other guys who might be us, but maybe not, and of course the French who ignore everybody else and do their own thing. :smile:

The Cold War certainly had an effect on music.

I live in a region famous for marijuana but have never had an interest. Holding a Commercial drivers license since 1993 and working for the Feds since 1996 have played a small part as well. The DOT and the Feds don't look kindly on its use, even if theoretically legal at the state level these days. Also a major wine and beer producer, I did finally find some beers and hard ciders I like, but it took a long time. Still haven't found a wine that does it for me.

Can you give some examples of "stoner rock" I'm not familiar with the term. I haven't really even heard the term stoner since high school in the 80s. Despite my lack of interest in drugs I did hang out with many who were definitely described as stoners. Most of them listened to hard rock and metal AC/DC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc so that to me would be stoner rock.

Amusingly my wife's maiden name is Stoner, but she has never been a part of that lifestyle.

I live in a region famous for marijuana but have never had an interest. Holding a Commercial drivers license since 1993 and working for the Feds since 1996 have played a small part as well. The DOT and the Feds don't look kindly on its use, even if theoretically legal at the state level these days. Also a major wine and beer producer, I did finally find some beers and hard ciders I like, but it took a long time. Still haven't found a wine that does it for me.

that's because all the wine down there is bad compared to our fine Washington wine! ;) we also have a wide range of delicious ciders, though i can't speak for the beers - I dislike virtually all of them.

Can you give some examples of "stoner rock" I'm not familiar with the term. I haven't really even heard the term stoner since high school in the 80s. Despite my lack of interest in drugs I did hang out with many who were definitely described as stoners. Most of them listened to hard rock and metal AC/DC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath etc so that to me would be stoner rock.

Amusingly my wife's maiden name is Stoner, but she has never been a part of that lifestyle.

back in the day, those were the options. I once heard that Zep was for the stoner nerds and the Who was for the drunk jocks.

for examples, I'm enjoying Om and Sleep. Other examples include Church of MInistry, Weedeater, and Bongripper. as with all musical genres, largely in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Wine was my gateway into alcohol. Nowadays I'm into whisky, beer and cocktails, but keep it 2-4 doses a week. Tried cigars and liked it well enough, but not nearly enough to pick up the habit (also lost father and grandfather to tobacco-related pulmonary disease so not really eager to get into tobacco in any form). Sugar is probably the one substance I may have an unhealthy relationship with, and I'm trying to shake it off.

Glad you asked!

There's a whole lot more where those came from!

Ok, so pretty much I don't know any of the bands associated with "stoner rock" and not at all what I was expecting. I think Mastodon is the only one I've even heard of. These are more what I would think of in the alternate metal genre (I can't keep track of all the metal genres these days so I have two kinds, the stuff I listen to and all the rest :hehe: ), but when I think of stoners I think way more chill and with more nerd themes.

Of music I know these are examples more in tune with what I expected (granted these are older, but in this vein).

Stoners were some of the first "sort of cool" gamers that I knew of (meaning many actually had girlfriends and cars :dice: despite having some geeky interests). It wasn't until after college that I really got to know "normal" people who were gamers (again, meaning girlfriends, cars and now also halfway decent jobs and their own place to live despite having some geeky interests).

As far as alcohol and other such substances, for a long time when I went to the doctor I answered the vices question with none. A few years ago I was on a mission to find a beer or wine that I liked or to rule out definitively that such a thing didn't exist. It just seemed wrong to live in a land of plenty (vices) and not appreciating any of them. Now when I go to the doctor I answer infrequent beer consumption which they always raise an eyebrow to asking how often and clearly expecting several a day, to which I usually respond if I buy a 6 pack, in 3 months I usually still have most of a 6 pack. If I drink 1 a week I'm on a bender.

I've never been interested in tobacco. I hate cigarettes, cheap cigars and chew, but don't mind good cigars and pipes, although I would never take up smoking. I used to have a friend who smoked good cigars and I loved going into some of the high end cigar and pipe stores he frequented. The smell of wood, leather and good (not burning) tobacco was pretty awesome. I have thought about making a really nice pipe, and then rigging it up to blow bubbles. :smile:

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back