Kevin Feige Promoted to Marvel CCO.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
Feige got promoted and has taken Joe Quesada’s role as Chief Creative Officer. He will now oversee Marvel publishing as well.

weird

I mean, at this point I'm sure it can't be worse than Quesada's tenure, but this will be someone whose specific interests are tied to the cinematic universe IP running the comics. So I'd be surprised if this didn't lead to an even greater push for the comics as advertisements for the films

Ah well, I gave up on Marvel a LONG time ago. I think the glory days have long since passed, and we'll never see the like of Shooter's run as EIC again. They are a corporate IP mine now. At least I have my longboxes of backissues and Essential editions to keep me happy.

Last edited:
I’m very lukewarm on this. The MCU and its homogeneous feel has kinda ran its course for me, so I’m not super pumped at the idea of what he might have in store for Marvel publishing...but I haven’t been a big fan of Quesada Marvel for some time now, either.

Yeah, Infinity War was a fine endcap for me. I may check out the odd Doc Strange or GotG sequel, but the MCU is losing it's heart for me with the departure of the original Avengers and going in a direction that just doesn't interest me.

The slow collapse of the Netflix MCU was a bit of a heartbreak for me as well. Even with all their weaknesses, I really loved those shows, and them getting ostracized from the MCU and then summarily cancelled left me very sad.

That was it for me in a nutshell. The did a great job of getting me invested in Cap and Iron Man...and not really anyone else (well, I’ll probably watch the Falcon/Winter Soldier series).

Not saying I WON’T watch anything else...but it’s definitely now a “how’s the trailer look/what do people whose opinions I trust think” kind of thing.

Loki might be good, but the “real” Loki is still dead. It’s like a prequel series for an alternate universe character. Not sure how that will be taken.

Yeah, Infinity War was a fine endcap for me. I may check out the odd Doc Strange or GotG sequel, but the MCU is losing it's heart for me with the departure of the original Avengers and going in a direction that just doesn't interest me.
I think it might be trickier for Marvel than they realize having written out all the main Avengers at once. To my nephews, Iron Man, The Hulk, Thor and Captain America (along with Spider-Man) are THE top tier heroes, like Batman and Superman were when I was a kid. They'll certainly keep going to Spider-Man movies, but for the most part, they are going to be starting from scratch in their eyes.

We can only hope and they’ve sort of teased it before but it’ll never happen.

They've screwed up the Continuity so massively by this point I anticipate them pulling a DC anytime now

That's one thing Marvel prided itself on during the 80s was continuity. Jim Shooter was very much a guy who wanted everything to line up and make sense. Editor Mark Gruenwald (RIP) was largely responsible for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and his knowledge of the Marvel Universe was essential to keeping it all together as well.

I'm happy for him. I'm pretty sure he's the guy I used to talk to when Marvel Entertainment was across the hall from my work on Little Santa Monica Blvd. They were nice neighbors.

Feige definitely loves the Marvel Universe. No doubt about that. He's already done a better job than Joe Queseda and he hasn't done anything yet on the publishing side.

I mean, at this point I'm sure it can't be worse than Quesada's tenure, but this will be someone whose specific interests are tied to the cinematic universe IP running the comics. So I'd be surprised if this didn't lead to an even greater push for the comics as advertisements for the films

Ah well, I gave up on Marvel a LONG time ago. I think the glory days have long since passed, and we'll never see the like of Shooter's run as EIC again. They are a corporate IP mine now. At least I have my longboxes of backissues and Essential editions to keep me happy.

I have never been a fan of Quesada. There were a lot of things Marvel did prior to his tenure that led me to buying fewer comics, but his run as Editor-in-Chief made me quit reading them altogether. I am happy to see someone else take over creative control, but my bet is that putting Feige in control will lead to the movies driving the comics. I don't like that idea, but (as you said) it can't be much worse than the state they are in now.

Neither Marvel nor DC are putting out anything that interests me these days. I am particularly unhappy with DC for gutting their Vertigo line (my favorite DC stuff my far) and integrating John Constantine and others into their main line, cutting out the mature emphasis that made them so interesting. Just about everything I have purchased in the last decade has been older Marvel and DC collections and newer things coming out from Dark Horse and the various indie companies.

I'd like to note that Spenser's run, seems to be undoing the Mephisto deal, in Amazing Spider-Man, he's back to dating MJ. Still having trouble with timing and heroism. Mind you, Mephisto isn't in charge of Hell ATM, Johnny Blaze sorta is? New Ghost Rider series, But he's dealing with mass escapes. Danny Ketch is a drunk who owns a bar and doesn't want to do GR stuff. So its first issue is kinda cool.

It's nuts. (Spenser, though was with Captain America is a Hydra agent, so I'm not being too trusting.) Note: I've not followed Marvel except for Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl, in almost 20 years.

The deal needs to be undone on the actual pages and not “off-screen”.

The whole deal was so ridiculous I can’t believe that no one else in editorial had the balls to tell Joe it was a bad idea. I’m not counting JMS, who was the writer at the time and he thought it was a bad idea.

The other horrible thing they did was “Sins Past”, which soiled poor Gwen Stacy.

I can’t say enough how awful they were to fans at this time either, laughing in their faces on comic forums and basically telling the die-hard fans who loved the marriage to go pound sand, because that’s just the way it is now.

I haven't kept up with most superhero books as there is so much interesting modern comic work being done in other genres and styles, not to mention all the great back catalogues of European, Japanese and classic US comics being reissued every month. Fantagraphics reissues of classic artists and the EC library of horror, crime, sf and war comics alone is enough to keep me occupied for the forseeable future.

51WweDMLpNL._SY336_BO1,204,203,200_.png

forty-whacks-cover.png

Last edited:
weird

Its like you read into my soul and spoke its words.

Where are you Jim Shooter? You're the only one that can save us.

I've got enough Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age reprints that I'll never need another new comic book from DC or Marvel.

These days I'm much more interested in Gwandanaland Comics' reprints of hard-to-come-by Golden Age material anyway.
6575330-0283.jpg51FbffgVuIL.jpg51uUNwnCNnL_600x600.jpg

I’ve got these two 80s books hanging on my office wall to remind me of the good ‘ole days.
2PVUvJh.jpg

I have the first appearance of Silver Surfer and the Vision hanging in mine. I'll snap a pic when I get home.

Wasn't Feige slated to take charge of the next Star Wars too? I get it, he's made Disney $22bn, but seems like he's spreading himself very thin.

The comics have been a testing/promotional instrument for the movies for a very long time. Even casual observer like can see ever since Ultimates and New Avengers Marvel has taken the strategic choice of promoting the character it still had movie rights for and widing down the rest.

In the end, it doesn't matter. What remains constant is that at any one point in time 90% of comics are absoulte rubbish there alway a handful of boos (not always the same ones) that despite all the odds rise above the rest and are wonderful - at least for a while, until the next crossover, reboot or new team of artist/writer team takes over. It's those moment of wonderful that keep us hooked.

Both of the big two are at historic low point. Shooter’s period is largely good, Stern Spider-Man and Avengers, for example, were both top notch, but I prefer the crazy ass our of control 70’s before he showed up with two Conan books, Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Moon Night, Two in One, Team Up and a bunch of other crazy shit. shooter was also directly responsible for the demise of Master of Kung Fu and the departure of Doug Moench and, you know, The New Universe.

Meh, until we get the edgy content of the 90's, I have no interest in Marvel OR DC's official output.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe sucks, bring back The Dark Age of Comic Books! THUMBS UP IF YOU AGREE!

Embrace the Edge! Millennial Hipsters Fuck Off!

Meh, until we get the edgy content of the 90's, I have no interest in Marvel OR DC's official output.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe sucks, bring back The Dark Age of Comic Books! THUMBS UP IF YOU AGREE!

I'd love to see an RPG based on disco culture. Like have it be steeped in the culture and aesthetics of the disco scene and the setting is loosely based on the 1970's. The main villains would all be punk rock chuds and lowlifes, of course.

I know its your shtick, but we'd prefer to be the kind of site where people can talk about things they like without needless hostility things that other people like. By all means, thoughtful criticism of the MCU is welcome. Telling vague and possibly fictional categories of people to fuck off is less welcome.

And the constant sniping at punks and goths is way past old. As someone that actually live through the '70s and '80s and has fond memories of both scenes, I'm not so much offended as I am embarrassed for you. Seriously, we joke about you being the kid around here, but you aren't one. I'm sorry some punks were mean to you once, but get on with your life and act like an adult.

We regulars are used to your outbursts, but we old timers, yourself included, are all setting the tone for the steady flow of newcomers, and I don't want these kind of posts to become the new normal. If we let you keep going insulting people, it is only fair we let the next person, and the next person, and before you know it, we are the RPG Site.

Aside from certain hot button issues, we like having you around, so I hope you can just tone it down a little.

I know its your shtick, but we'd prefer to be the kind of site where people can talk about things they like without needless hostility things that other people like. By all means, thoughtful criticism of the MCU is welcome. Telling vague and possibly fictional categories of people to fuck off is less welcome.

And the constant sniping at punks and goths is way past old. As someone that actually live through the '70s and '80s and has fond memories of both scenes, I'm not so much offended as I am embarrassed for you. Seriously, we joke about you being the kid around here, but you aren't one. I'm sorry some punks were mean to you once, but get on with your life and act like an adult.

We regulars are used to your outbursts, but we old timers, yourself included, are all setting the tone for the steady flow of newcomers, and I don't want these kind of posts to become the new normal. If we let you keep going insulting people, it is only fair we let the next person, and the next person, and before you know it, we are the RPG Site.

Aside from certain hot button issues, we like having you around, so I hope you can just tone it down a little.

Alright, well seeing as I love the RPG Pub and consider you to be a man I respect, I shall tone it down and reel it back. I honestly meant that post as a joke, but given my past, I could understand why some of the old timers might find it tiring.

I'll be calmer and more considerate from now on.

Not sure I know many who miss the excesses of the 'grimdark' 90s superhero comics.

The comic book industry almost went under in the 90s because of the speculation that was going on. The market was being overinflated by the unending events, like the Death of Superman. I remember reading a story about people buying multiple issues of that thinking it was going to be worth a fortune in short order. They went back a year or two later to the comic shop looking for the investment return only to find out they got pennies on the dollar. Almost worth less than the paper it was printed on. Marvel had to file for bankruptcy protection in 1996.

The comic book industry almost went under in the 90s because of the speculation that was going on. The market was being overinflated by the unending events, like the Death of Superman. I remember reading a story about people buying multiple issues of that thinking it was going to be worth a fortune in short order. They went back a year or two later to the comic shop looking for the investment return only to find out they got pennies on the dollar. Almost worth less than the paper it was printed on.

It started in the latter half of the 80s, when I was in college. One of my roommates fell for the speculation bubble BS, buying every variant of every comic and doubling or tripling up on some. I knew quite a number of people who were doing the same thing at the time.

The comic book industry almost went under in the 90s because of the speculation that was going on. The market was being overinflated by the unending events, like the Death of Superman. I remember reading a story about people buying multiple issues of that thinking it was going to be worth a fortune in short order. They went back a year or two later to the comic shop looking for the investment return only to find out they got pennies on the dollar. Almost worth less than the paper it was printed on. Marvel had to file for bankruptcy protection in 1996.

It wasn't just events. All those specialty covers were designed for collectors. I remember buying a few in the $0.25 bin at one my local comic shops. Got most of the image titles for that price, save Spawn. Mcfarlane was the only one in that group who had any common sense, which is why he's thrived, and most of the others are back working for other companies

Last edited:
Not sure I know many who miss the excesses of the 'grimdark' 90s superhero comics.

On one hand, I agree. On the other, I used to buy about 75% of Marvel’s output back then (and read it, I was never a speculator)...and I don’t actively buy any of it now.

The time I was out of comics was around the same time I was out of RPGs. I would say I was gone mostly from 1996 to 2001. I attribute my return because G.I.Joe was being revived by Devil’s Due Publishing and I then got hooked on JMS’ Amazing Spider-Man run. I’ve been hit or miss again since “One More Day” happened.

It wasn't just events. All those specialty covers were designed for collectors. I remember buying a few in the $0.25 bin at one my local comic shops. Got most of the image titles for that price, save Spawn. Mcfarlane was the only one in that group who had any common sense, which is why he's thrived, and most of the others are back working for other companies
All of the founders made enough to live on for the rest of their lives just from their original miniseries. Sylvestery still publishes his own line of stuff. Larsen still writes and draws Savage Dragon, Jim Lee sold his stuff to DC for a huge piece of the pie (he’s publisher and has a ton of control). Mcfarline got most of his money from toys and is an order of magnitude more successful for sure, but aside from the occasional one shot none of those guys do very much work for the big two. Larson just likes to make comics, and has done some work, but not enough to live on by any stretch of the imagination, but he’s already loaded- so much so that he just goes on doing TSD, which, by his own admission, barely breaks even. Who knows what Valintino and Portlacio are doing, they’ve both effectively vanished. In the case of the founders, Leifield is the notable exception. He’s done a fair amount of work for the big two, but judging from his twitter, he’s just nuts, so it’s hard to tell why he does what he does. Also it’s important to note that one of the coolset SF comics in recent memory, Prophet, was based on a Liefield property.
The second wave of guys, like Dale Keown were the bumblers. Keon made a million dollars on the first issue of Pitt and then took two years to finish the second issue, by which time nobody cared and his money was all gone. He is probably the highest profile guy to end up back at the big two, except for J. Scott Campbell. however JSC also made a ton of money on Gen 13 and Danger Girl and he has gotten even wealthier just drawing covers (that’s all he does) and Joe Maduria got filthy rich off like 8 issues of Battle Chasers.
Valiant is the real crash and burn of the 90’s and they worked under a bullpen style system with a locked in house style. Once Shooter and BWS left they were struggling and then they climbed into the speculator bubble and did a crossover with image, which fell apart due to, you guessed it, Liefield. The crossover “Deathmate” is along with ”The Death of Superman” largely blamed for the demise of the speculator market.
FWIW, I was a huge Valiant fan, but they lost me before they went under.

Last edited:

The slow collapse of the Netflix MCU was a bit of a heartbreak for me as well. Even with all their weaknesses, I really loved those shows, and them getting ostracized from the MCU and then summarily cancelled left me very sad.
Agents of SHIELD did a lot of background work for the Avengers, and was never even acknowledged. Even just having Quake, Fitz or Simmons as a background character in Infinity War would have been enough to make SHIELD fans happy.

I agree about Infinity War, though. It's a weird thing for a long-running franchise, to see a jumping off point; sure there's clearly more stories they can tell about their newer characters, but do you need to see them? Maybe not. And I'd like to have seen a Black Widow movie... five years ago. Now, with it being set in the recent past, it just seems like an excuse to get out of killing off their first generation of heroes.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back