Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
If he's gonna do it, I hope he can at least get the $500 together. At least then he'd be getting something out of that money :tongue:

Agreed! Even if he doesn't go up to the full $500, I'm sure I can find a way to thank him.

That last backer is weird. He threw $300 at it, but you don't have any addons or anything so... wha?

Some people just really want to see the Kickstarter campaign's finished product happen, and/or support the developer/artist/writer/whatever, especially if the Kickstarter campaign is close to or just over the goal, or close to or just over an important stretch goal.

I freely admit that I'm a wee bit unusual, but I once pledged an extra $120 to a Commodore computer-related Kickstarter campaign because it looked like it was either just going to make the goal or go slightly over, and I wanted to see it through. Could be the same thing here. Or perhaps the person is well off and just wants to support blackwingedheaven blackwingedheaven . Who knows.

Purple Pirate Games presents:

Secrets of the World Harvesters - Live as of 3/5/2019 - DCC compatible.

Currently funded and working on stretch goals.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/purplepirategames/secrets-of-the-world-harvesters/description

da0d763d5eca78845a74c42e1d602762_original.png

This adventure and setting guide is complete and ready to print.

31aa0e2dd834ceecb497daecaf7312c7_original.jpg

T&T is an interesting game, but it has never been able to hold my attention. MSPE tweaked the rules just enough to be able to keep my attention. Very nice balance between simplicity and complexity.

By modern do they mean from the original manuscript or today? because a lot of stuff has changed since the 1980's. I mean the an all 80's campaign would be aweasome but well basically we now all have the car from Knight rider and it fits in our pocket:shade:.

It is very 80s, so 80s in fact that if you look closely when it is delivered you may find your postal carrier bears a striking resemblance to Chuck Norris.

No, you mustn't MSPE is great. In a you have ten hit points and this gun does 9d damage kind of way.

Yeah, the gun damage is one area that can use some adjustment, but easily done since they provide the formula they used for damage.

MSPE is a great and underrated game. Excellent ruleset. I recently swore I'd wait a while before purchasing any more gaming stuff (spent a bit too much on some 1st Ed. Recon stuff), but ai may bite the bullet for this. And make my group play it.

A reprint of the Original Recon stuff would be a worthwhile kickstarter, but I don't see that happening while Palladium has their mitts on it.

A reprint of the Original Recon stuff would be a worthwhile kickstarter, but I don't see that happening while Palladium has their mitts on it.

I dunno if OG Recon is too "niche" for any kind of successful kickstarter. It might be.

I dunno if OG Recon is too "niche" for any kind of successful kickstarter. It might be.
I think if you kept it modest like this kickstarter, reprints at a price level low enough to draw in the merely curious like myself, there could be enough interest to fund it.

MSPE was featured in the Grognard Files:

that episode is unusually rambling but worth a listen if you're a Flying Buffalo fan.

This is the index:

HIghlights are interviews with RPG authors from the 80s - Graham Staplehurst, Simon Burley, Ian Marsh, Paul Cockburn, Marc Gascoigne, Graeme Davis as well as RPG analysis if you can get past the thick accent from that London.

I think if you kept it modest like this kickstarter, reprints at a price level low enough to draw in the merely curious like myself, there could be enough interest to fund it.

Perhaps so, yeah. That'd be nice. There were only 6 items ever released for it (counting the referee's screen), and the books/supplements/modules are all pretty slim (but bursting with stuff, seriously). I could almost see it being made into an omnibus edition type of thing. Only issue I can see would be maybe formatting. One of the modules was basically a folded up newspaper, and there was a map pack, the San Succi Play Aid. I'm planning on making a Youtube video soon, with the 4 pieces I have, after I've read through it.

If you're "merely curious", Palladium put the original rulebook online as a free download some years back. They've since taken it down, but there's a link to it in the OP of my Recon interest check thread.

If it contains the racist stuff I believe you mentioned before I'd see that as a severe impediment to a successful Kickstarter.
Much like differential strength maximums in D&D not all the old school stuff has aged well.

If it contains the racist stuff I believe you mentioned before I'd see that as a severe impediment to a successful Kickstarter.
Much like differential strength maximums in D&D not all the old school stuff has aged well.

Yeah, and there's that. Although it was "toned down" for the 2nd printing, what was "toned down" in th 80s doesn't really fly today.

Yeah, and there's that. Although it was "toned down" for the 2nd printing, what was "toned down" in th 80s doesn't really fly today.
Some things are just a product of their time and you can't decouple them and remain true to them.

I don't recall any particularly racist / sexist material. It was set during the Vietnam War and had color text to match which wasn't particularly gentle. It was an RPG for playing soldiers and marines in the war. Nothing any more offensive than what you would see Vietnam War movies like Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket. In fact that is what turns me off of Palladium's version, it is sanitized into a lame Hollywood version, set in "The 'Nam" which I find boring and mildly offensive. They left little material actually tying the setting to Vietnam

Granted some find Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket offensive, but the game setting isn't intended for those people.

The two non-Vietnam supplements were Sayeret and Track Commander, set during the Israeli Arab wars and adding armor rules (tanks). The other was San Succi a generic South / Central American city. There were stated plans to add material for the African Wars and Mercs as well, but nothing ever came of that to my knowledge.

The material from RPG Inc was good, but production quality mediocre. The better end was comparable to the LBBs of Classic Traveller, the lower end was on newsprint. Palladium gutted all the flavor text but did publish some of the optional RPG rules that never made it into the original. They then sat on it only reprinting it every few years.

Agree it would be of limited interest, but we are seeing more small kickstarters like that being done successfully. It also has some fans in the wargaming end of things in addition to any interest from the RPG end.

Last edited:
Yeah, the gun damage is one area that can use some adjustment, but easily done since they provide the formula they used for damage.

The real issue is that gun damage scales linearly in relation to muzzle energy. It's pretty good within a certain range but Luck saves will save you more often than hit points.

IIRC this is still in Labyrinth Lord. I'd have to check to see if they made it officially optional. Then again, I may just be misremembering stuff.

IIRC this is still in Labyrinth Lord. I'd have to check to see if they made it officially optional. Then again, I may just be misremembering stuff.
I don't have my copy of LL handy, but that would be weird. It's a B/X retroclone, but I know for a fact that B/X doesn't have those. In fact, B/X really made an effort to show it was a game for both boys and girls.

I don't recall any particularly racist / sexist material. It was set during the Vietnam War and had color text to match which wasn't particularly gentle. It was an RPG for playing soldiers and marines in the war. Nothing any more offensive than what you would see Vietnam War movies like Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket. In fact that is what turns me off of Palladium's version, it is sanitized into a lame Hollywood version, set in "The 'Nam" which I find boring and mildly offensive. They left little material actually tying the setting to Vietnam

Granted some find Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket offensive, but the game setting isn't intended for those people.

The two non-Vietnam supplements were Sayeret and Track Commander, set during the Israeli Arab wars and adding armor rules (tanks). The other was San Succi a generic South / Central American city. There were stated plans to add material for the African Wars and Mercs as well, but nothing ever came of that to my knowledge.

The material from RPG Inc was good, but production quality mediocre. The better end was comparable to the LBBs of Classic Traveller, the lower end was on newsprint. Palladium gutted all the flavor text but did publish some of the optional RPG rules that never made it into the original. They then sat on it only reprinting it every few years.

Agree it would be of limited interest, but we are seeing more small kickstarters like that being done successfully. It also has some fans in the wargaming end of things in addition to any interest from the RPG end.
I personally find the language in Recon appropriate to the setting. It's also not gratuitous, and I don't believe that there is more than one insurance of any single "offensive"word, that is to say, they're not repeated over and over. There are plenty of opportunities to play non-American characters as well. I can compartmentalize the language within the historical context of its subject, and not be offended by it. But some people would definitely have some feels about it, and I get why. Do I think the author had any intent besides being true to the subject matter? No.

I personally find the language in Recon appropriate to the setting. It's also not gratuitous, and I don't believe that there is more than one insurance of any single "offensive"word, that is to say, they're not repeated over and over. There are plenty of opportunities to play non-American characters as well. I can compartmentalize the language within the historical context of its subject, and not be offended by it. But some people would definitely have some feels about it, and I get why. Do I think the author had any intent besides being true to the subject matter? No.
Sure it probably accurately portrays the language and sentiment at the time. I think most of us would agree that language and sentiment is very racist by today's standards.

Grimm's fairy tales probably appropriately teach children the dangers of going off into the woods alone and depict the omnipresence of death in agrarian society. Today a lot of parents won't read them because they're considered violent and deal with topics wholly inappropriate for children.

The difference is it was racist then and it's still racist now. We're just less comfortable being that blatantly racist nowadays.
I'm not for censoring the product but I think that fluff will turn off more people than it turns on. If I did a reprint I'd modify the verbage to something more neutral. I doubt the north Vietnamese were says sweet nothings about the US soldiers so please don't think I'm making any one group out to be a bad guy for the norm of people at war demonizing the enemy combatants. It's almost a requirement on order to convince someone to kill someone else.

Sure it probably accurately portrays the language and sentiment at the time. I think most of us would agree that language and sentiment is very racist by today's standards.

Grimm's fairy tales probably appropriately teach children the dangers of going off into the woods alone and depict the omnipresence of death in agrarian society. Today a lot of parents won't read them because they're considered violent and deal with topics wholly inappropriate for children.

The difference is it was racist then and it's still racist now. We're just less comfortable being that blatantly racist nowadays.
I'm not for censoring the product but I think that fluff will turn off more people than it turns on. If I did a reprint I'd modify the verbage to something more neutral. I doubt the north Vietnamese were says sweet nothings about the US soldiers so please don't think I'm making any one group out to be a bad guy for the norm of people at war demonizing the enemy combatants. It's almost a requirement on order to convince someone to kill someone else.
Nah, I get it. I don't think it'd take anything away from thebgan

I'd agree with this. There are maybe 2 or 3 words that would have to be changed in the entire book anyway. Oddly enough, the two modules have a more respectful view of Vietnamese people, especially the 2nd module, Hearts & Minds. I'm not trying to pull the "It's OK, because Recon has a black friend" routine, but it's a weird duality of the game, IMO.

Welcome to the Pub, Rotten. Have a :coffee: or :drink: and tell us about the RPGs you're playing.

Also, the kickstarter looks interesting. I like the map of Osarb.

Welcome to the Pub, Rotten. Have a :coffee: or :drink: and tell us about the RPGs you're playing.

Also, the kickstarter looks interesting. I like the map of Osarb.

I mostly play DCC and MCCAIN, but I’m always up for a game of CoC.

Just got back from Gary Con. Try to make the pilgrimage if you ever can. It’s a great time.

My artist made this character sheet for everyone.

Attachments

• D45FD51F-7D37-48FD-92BC-C519C8B24298.jpeg
    D45FD51F-7D37-48FD-92BC-C519C8B24298.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 5
I mostly play DCC and MCCAIN, but I’m always up for a game of CoC.

Just got back from Gary Con. Try to make the pilgrimage if you ever can. It’s a great time.

My artist made this character sheet for everyone.

Gary Con does sound great. I'm going to Gen Con this year and I can only make one convention a year.

Eventually, DCC needs a horror version I think.

DCC is easy to adapt. There is a Transylvania fan zine, but I haven’t seen it.

Currently funded and working on stretch goals.
Partly due to yours truly. I'm such a DCC fanboy. I think there are three or four 3rd party DCC kickstarters going on now. I've lost track.
Should say MCC, not McCain.
I was imagining a post apocalyptic setting with cyborg zombie politicians. Too soon?
Gary Con does sound great. I'm going to Gen Con this year and I can only make one convention a year.
Too bad...this is the year I'm missing Gen Con. Would love to have met a pubber there. I am planning to shoot for Gary Con next year.
There is a Transylvania fan zine, but I haven’t seen it.
Here it is, but I'd say it's too big to be considered a 'zine at 300 pages.

Thank you Edgewise for your support. We plan to make more. I will be at Gary Con next year. Say hello. :smile:

An update went out a little while ago stating that the books will be offset printed in the United Kingdom and that shipping them outside Europe will be a bit expensive, but the update didn't give any idea of how expensive. The other day, I received an e-mail message to verify my pledge on PledgeManager.com. I picked out two limited edition hardcovers, the poster, and the GM screen, but was still given no idea how much shipping will be. It only said that I would be billed for shipping "later." This is the only crowdfunding campaign where I have pledged for a physical product, and no shipping estimate is given before I pay. I have to say I really don't like it. If it's $10, great. If it's $100, understandable, but I'd kinda like to know what to budget for. Not thrilled about that.

It is easy enough to get a shipping estimate, obviously you want to find the best deal but also best practice to give everyone the high ball number so they know what they may be paying in the worse case scenario.

That was SJG did with the TFT set, I thought I was going to pay through the nose but by the time it came to pay the actual bill was way below the estimate.

Or you can do what Modiphius do and provide an estimate then charge double that on fulfilment.

I wouldn’t worry for Carbon 2185 though as there is only one shipment, so if the shipping comes in high you should be able to have a chunk of the cost refunded. And they seem genuine and have integrity to get the best deal for their backers.

So I know basically nothing about this game, but the cover is beautiful

cce9508a9f7825baab21ca49493212ac_original.jpg
It's coming from Riotminds, the publishers of the English version of Trudvang Chronicles, a game I've adored the art and setting of for years (and plan on converting to Mythras at some point). Kickstarter is apparently starting tomorrow (or today, depending on your time zone - 17:00 Swedish Time).

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back