Kickstarter Personal Recommendation - Fantasy Wargames Terrain from Battle Systems

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
Putting together a nice looking game board for a 28mm fantasy/historical game can be incredibly expensive, time-consuming, and also take up a ton of space when you're not playing (especially for those who prefer small downtown apartments in one of the most expensive cities in North America, like me, lol).Enter Battle Systems. They've been on my radar for a while, having run 5 previous successful \Kickstarters, all with timely completion and delivery, but I was waiting for them to tackle a medieval/renaissance theme for Oldhammer/Mordheim/KoW etc. The waiting paid off, as their current KS is everything I could want from a campaign of this type, offering some gorgeous-looking terrain enough to fill a wargame table for $100 to $200 with all the add-ons (game matts, extra buildings, etc.)

6.jpg

This sounds a bit like an advert, but I'm not associated in any way with the fine folks running this campaign, and not getting any payment for schilling for them. But I'm a heavy gamer myself, and having stuff that looks this good...

ef2cc1cd255fa131108896849ca9bf51_original.jpg

...for a VERY reasonable price from a company that's shown itself to be reliable is basically the sort of thing that I'm always on the lookout for on KS. That it's all modular, quick-to-build, and stores flat is the icing on the cake.

Anyways, pitch over, here's some pretty pictures, if this is something you're into you should check them out.

3.jpg

1.jpg

Putting together a nice looking game board for a 28mm fantasy/historical game can be incredibly expensive, time-consuming, and also take up a ton of space when you're not playing (especially for those who prefer small downtown apartments in one of the most expensive cities in North America, like me, lol).
I am in the same position location-wise. Mrs. Savage and I moved to a studio apartment near the beach; the location is great but we have zero space for gaming. I have to haul everything from closet to game club and it is a pain in the ass.

The waiting paid off, as their current KS is everything I could want from a campaign of this type, offering some gorgeous-looking terrain enough to fill a wargame table for $100 to $200 with all the add-ons (game matts, extra buildings, etc.)
This is perfect for populating a 3x3 table like Mordheim or Frostgrave on the cheap.

This sounds a bit like an advert, but I'm not associated in any way with the fine folks running this campaign, and not getting any payment for schilling for them. But I'm a heavy gamer myself, and having stuff that looks this good...
You're not shilling at all; I appreciate honest reviews from people who want to share news about a good (or bad) product. Thanks.

I have their initial Scifi board release. The base walls are decent, and nice and solid. You don't notice the clips at all once you're playing. I could cover a 2x4 board using a single pledge's worth of rooms.

I found multi-level setups to be fiddly to get my hands under, and some of the pieces (door frames, stairs) to be not quite as sturdy as the walls.

Those buildings will be pretty darn robust, and will look great on the table.

A new watermill (Ihonest confession...I LOVE watermills and windmills)

unnamed.jpg

And a sneak peak of what looks like a castle?!

unnamed (1).jpg

This looks amazing! Since I don't have medieval miniatures, I was thinking of putting it with my Kill Team set, sort of a feudal town has grown around an old Imperial fortification from the Crusade era. Just an excuse to have a bigger Kill Team arena :gunslinger:

How's their post-apocalypse sets? I love building my own terrain, but I'm getting impatient with the time it takes, so I'm side-eying the the suburbs core set they offer. How's their shipping to the US?

How's their post-apocalypse sets? I love building my own terrain, but I'm getting impatient with the time it takes, so I'm side-eying the the suburbs core set they offer. How's their shipping to the US?

I can't say, it all looks nice and has good reviews though. And since it packs flat, I couldn't say shipping will be cheap, but it probably wouldn't break the bank.

Game is in it's last minutes, just to give a look at the current Stretch goals...

92acca1d74f8e8ad7fb9e7571cf36c22_original.jpg

Laser cut mdf?

Not MDF, According to the FAQ:

"The terrain is pre-printed double-sided card. It is super-high density to ensure that it is strong and durable, and it’s laminated on both sides for protection. We have been perfecting this material over many years and this latest product is our best yet."

So closer to the Russain "UMBUM" 3d puzzles terrain, which I've been using for a while

s-l1600.jpg

ub294_2.jpg

Or the Terraclips stuff by Wyrd...

WYRTC103.jpg

Looks awesome! Is that a 3' x 3' setup?

Yeah, I plan to do 4 of these. I've got some big 8' sheets of thick insulation foam and want to do the upper city sections and them some under-city sewers underneath.

New Northern Settlement Expansion up for Pre-Order

NV1.JPG

nv0.JPG

nv2.JPG

nv3.JPG

nv5.JPG

I'm thinking, "I wonder if I can model all of Bogenhafen with these?" I need someone to slap me.

It's even worse, I'm thinking "How many folding tables would it take to hold Middenheim?"

It's even worse, I'm thinking "How many folding tables would it take to hold Middenheim?"

You need at least 4 in a circle so theres a little hole in the middle to stand in

edit: actually make that 8, so you can put a second row of tables on top of the others and do the sewer system beneath the city

I am a fan of Battle Systems sci fi terrain.

I am a fan of Battle Systems sci fi terrain.

I may grab some of that next as theyve just restocked on everything, after being out for a while.

I'd love it if they'd do some modern cityscape stuff for Supers games.

I have Core Space which has some but also Galactic Core Set, Shantytown Core set, and the grassy fields 4x6 table.

This stuff makes me wish I had more 28mm minis, or that they did it in 15mm. If they ever start producing a sailing ship then that will make up my mind!

I don't own any, but I've seen it in person. They do great work.

I feel peoples pain about trying to get a 28mm table happening in cramped quarters. I just gave up on anything bigger than skirmish games. I dont have room for even a folding 6×4 board or more terrain than what I already have for Mordheim and Necromunda. Sad trombone.

I don't own any, but I've seen it in person. They do great work.

I feel peoples pain about trying to get a 28mm table happening in cramped quarters. I just gave up on anything bigger than skirmish games. I dont have room for even a folding 6×4 board or more terrain than what I already have for Mordheim and Necromunda. Sad trombone.

Heh, I've got my big wargame board set up so it folds down over my bed.

Heh, I've got my big wargame board set up so it folds down over my bed.
That sounds awesome. I love my wife, but I'm not going to even suggest that any kind of gaming paraphernalia enter the bedroom. I know the answer to that question. :grin:

For your fast-up, fast-down sci fi needs, I highly recommend Acid House Terrain as well. As much as I love my Battlesystems stuff, they take longer to get set up. This is pretty quick to get a table set.

For your fast-up, fast-down sci fi needs, I highly recommend Acid House Terrain as well. As much as I love my Battlesystems stuff, they take longer to get set up. This is pretty quick to get a table set.

Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment, and currently running an interest drive to possibly do another KS.. But I am aware of them, the stuff looks good, though it's really more printed boxes than full-on terrain.

Right. It's a strong kind of plastic coated outer shell that you insert an inner piece into to make the structures. There is no interior to go into. It is just an exterior building. But it works for most of my sci-fi needs.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back