Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Anecdotally speaking, I disagree. My non-gamer wife happily played Fiasco with us. If I was stacking up decks of cards she would have been way more focused on that and completely checked out.

But obviously, different things attract different people.

MCG put out a press release with some more information. Looks like the KS is launching Tues.

God dammit, Monte. The sun won’t balloon into a red giant in a billion years. That’s gonna take four or five billion years. In a billion years it’s just gonna be so hot the oceans will boil away.

God dammit, Monte. The sun won’t balloon into a red giant in a billion years.
Aw, Monte only wanted to adventure in an airbrushed Book of the New Sun. Unfortunately, it's just a little half-baked.

That’s one of the problems with Numenera.

As long as the science is unknown, it can be indistinguishable from magic “just because”. Once they start defining things, the science is going to start poking it’s head in and ruining things.

That’s one of the problems with Numenera.

As long as the science is unknown, it can be indistinguishable from magic “just because”. Once they start defining things, the science is going to start poking it’s head in and ruining things.
That's one of the problems with Science Fiction in general. it's why I wish soft Sci-Fi would make up stupid words for things instead of trying to use real scientific concepts.

It doesn't ground the story or make it sound clever, it means anyone who knows where you're making shit up is taken out of the story.

Black holes aren't magic, Star Trek 2009!

God dammit, Monte. The sun won’t balloon into a red giant in a billion years. That’s gonna take four or five billion years. In a billion years it’s just gonna be so hot the oceans will boil away.
Unless something happens to it! Dun dun DUN.

It seems to me that if you set your game so far in the future that multiple empires have existed and fell to open up a lot of possibilities for yourself, then writing a book about the missing timespan misses the point. Either the stuff in the intervening time has no relevance to the "modern" setting, in which case it's a load of wank and why would anyone buy your book, or it has a lot of relevance to the modern setting, and you've just wrote you and your GM's into a lot of Canon that they probably didn't want anyway.

It sounds to me like a set of books that nobody actually needs... but on the other hand, Monte Cook runs a successful games company and I just complain about things on the internet, so what do I know.

Is the problem that nobody got my pun or that everyone got my pun?

I’m totally confused... i thought that in the Numenera setting some past civilization had found a way to keep the sun « alive » longer than usual or something?

Whatever. Those games are too expensive anyway.

I’m totally confused... i thought that in the Numenera setting some past civilization had found a way to keep the sun « alive » longer than usual or something?

Whatever. Those games are too expensive anyway.
Some past civilization did. Earth is like 8 billion years past modern times, so somebody possibly intervened.

The problem is...the ad says the Earth should have been engulfed a billion years from now. It’s 4-5 times longer than that.

So the issue isn’t the magic tech.
The issue is, they are trying to delve into the science and they apparently don’t know any.

For sure: it seems more inspired by psychadelic sci-fi like Jodorowski's Metabarons and the new Prophet than anything else.

That's one of the problems with Science Fiction in general. it's why I wish soft Sci-Fi would make up stupid words for things instead of trying to use real scientific concepts.

It doesn't ground the story or make it sound clever, it means anyone who knows where you're making shit up is taken out of the story.

Black holes aren't magic, Star Trek 2009!
That reminds me of the Rockwell Retro Encabulator guy

Next up we have some Gygaxian goodness, only Luke and Ernie Gygax instead of Gary.

41e166d3cbc29d840b5ec9d3d0e6be26_original.jpg

e0463a56a3dee206f580dac458dcf498_original.jpg

Lost City of Gaxmoor is a 5E sandbox city book, written by Luke and Ernie Gygax and published by Troll Lord Games. If you back during the first 24 hours, you get a free adventure. I love fantasy cities and I love sandboxes, so this is right up my alley.

Have a thread on this in the other forum, but figure it's worth pimping here. It's the final day for the Trudvang Legends Kickstarter, a story-based co-op miniature boardgame based on the classic Swedish fantasy RPG Drakar och Demoner ("Dragons & Demons", the recent English translation released as Trudvang Chronicles).

Trudvang is known for it's extensive setting steeped in Northern European folklore & Mythology and it's lush artwork, spearheaded by Paul
Bonner

fa1c744831ecfa6748c1ebb3ba644029_original.jpg

CMON have done an exceptional job translating this artwork into miniature form, and as is typical for their Kickstarters, there's just a crapton of KS exclusive minis added on.

05cb185d05593908813f358e9e2dee1c_original.jpg

Last edited:
CMON have done an exceptional job translating this artwork into miniature form, and as is typical for their Kickstarters, there's just a crapton of KS exclusive minis added on.
CMON minis are just insanely pretty. But I'm going to wait to see if the actual game is up to the quality of the presentation.

Things like this make me wish I could model paint well, they really deserve a good hand. Like Edgewise I'll be interested to see if the game is good.

I'll be selling on the game, I'm just after that sweet, sweet plastic crack for my paintbrush

Well that and, two of the add ons were a Paul Boner artbook and a deluxe omnibus version of the RPG

I'm starting to feel like Tenkar now...

babcf0c99310273b6844b29daf300a53_original.png

cdcfad4092227028f3db590c971a5153_original.png

Here's another city sourcebook Kickstarter, this one by the most excellent and audacious Skerples of the Coins & Scrolls blog, writer of Tomb of the Serpent Kings, a very widely-recommended OSR introductory adventure. Really it's a combination city and magic sourcebook, with a heavy emphasis on the magic bit. Skerples describes it as very much a toolkit product where you can easily pick and choose the bits you want to use in your own games.

'm starting to feel like Tenkar now...

Wow I want this, but $74 CAD seems steep for any book these days. I think I might just go the PDF route and print it out for myself. Maybe it will show up in stores some day...

Also: FUCK shipping to Canada from the USA. Whatever agreement between the US government and Canada Post there is... it is the Devil's Asshole. It is cheaper to ship from Australia than from across the border.

Some nifty-looking dice sets for fans of Savage Worlds and other games that use exploding D6s (and an option to buy only the Wild Dice for those of you who'd like to use them with d6 games):

Exploding Dice Sets

Wow I want this, but $74 CAD seems steep for any book these days. I think I might just go the PDF route and print it out for myself. Maybe it will show up in stores some day...

Also: FUCK shipping to Canada from the USA. Whatever agreement between the US government and Canada Post there is... it is the Devil's Asshole. It is cheaper to ship from Australia than from across the border.
It’s cheaper to ship from Australia than between states sometimes :tongue: our shipping is just astronomical.

I'm starting to feel like Tenkar now...
Told ya!
Here's another city sourcebook Kickstarter, this one by the most excellent and audacious Skerples of the Coins & Scrolls blog, writer of Tomb of the Serpent Kings, a very widely-recommended OSR introductory adventure. Really it's a combination city and magic sourcebook, with a heavy emphasis on the magic bit. Skerples describes it as very much a toolkit product where you can easily pick and choose the bits you want to use in your own games.
I'm a fan of Skerples and this looks terrific. I've mentioned before how the vast majority of fantasy takes place in a post-apocalyptic era, and this is clearly a pre-apocalyptic setting. It could be a lot of fun to have a campaign with time travel, allowing you to occasionally travel back to the Lemuria (or whatever) at its height. Yeah, this is on my (ever-burgeoning) list.

The Skerples KS looks cool, thinking on it but definitely would have to make it pdf only at that price.

The Skerples KS looks cool, thinking on it but definitely would have to make it pdf only at that price.

Yeah, I pledged for the pdf. Even though I don't have to deal with the high shipping charges some peeps in other countries do, I feel like I'd get more utility out of the pdf than hardcover.

I'm sitting on the Numenera: Liminal Shores KS, waiting to see what stretch goals get unlocked. It's currently at 4 books for the $70 all the pdfs level, which isn't a bad deal, but I feel like the pot will get sweetened more than that. It definitely needs to get sweetened before I think of pledging at the $185 level for everything in print and pdf.

CMON minis are just insanely pretty. But I'm going to wait to see if the actual game is up to the quality of the presentation.

I have bought board games just for the minis, but I only do it when they are on sale, since I have no interest in that sort of boardgame in general. I really wish there was an official option to just buy the individual minis, rather than waiting and hoping they will show up on eBay.

I became a big fan of Usagi Yojimbo through Stan Sakai's work on Sergio Aragones' comic Groo the Wanderer. Project has already funded and is now unlocking stretch goals.

Wow I want this, but $74 CAD seems steep for any book these days.

I laughed pretty hard when I read that, as I just pre-ordered this...

Everyone has different values for things though. I get resentful whenever I have to pay more than $30 for clothing. Yet I thought nothing of dropping $200 for Nick Bibby's original Great Spined Dragon miniature ( actually considered it a deal).

I tend to balk pretty hard at the prices for PDFs though. I still don't see them as "real" products

As an enthusiastic Midderlander I couldn’t let the new Monkey Blood Designs kickstarter pass by unbacked or unmentioned:
HandyMaps - Town & Village A5 Card Handouts for RPGs
Double-sided, A5 town & village map card handouts by Gold ENnie award-winning cartographer, Glynn Seal. For all role-playing games.

Happy to be backing another Monkey Blood project!

AFAIK these maps are already in other Midderlands books so I decided to pass on this.

I just picked up Usagi Yojimbo via Lulu and there's a KS announced for a PbtA edition

tenor.gif

I'm glad to announce that backers have received an initial copy of the manuscript. So far, I like what I'm seeing:grin:!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back