Kickstarter projects for 2020

woodcutgames

Reaction score
Just two more days left to back
Other Magic #2: Monsters of the Americas

The first edition of Other Magic (ZineQuest 2019) focused on real world folk magic traditions, with an emphasis on those of the United States and Mexico. Other Magic #2: Monsters of the Americas is designed to complement the first issue by highlighting the monsters of the broader Americas where those folk magic traditions exist. These monsters come from the myths and legends of various regions within the United States, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. They are bizarre, obscure, and distinctly different from the ones found in most roleplaying games.

Since the goal is to present the monsters as they appear within folktales and myths, Other Magic #2: Monsters of the Americas focuses on their traditional behaviors, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, without modification. As with the first issue of Other Magic, the emphasis is on magic and the supernatural as they are understood by regular people in the real world. Some of the monsters can be defeated or killed, while others can only be driven away or avoided. Most of them are not "I slay it with my sword" or "I shoot it with my gun" types of adversaries, because that is not how they are conceptualized in the real world stories.

taku_he_spread.png

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
That was unnecessary.
Edit: You know I just realized that you are the author of said work. I know, that should have been obvious, but I guess Im just really used to just shooting the shit with other posters here, rather than people dropping ads for their own stuff in, so it didn't r4eally register at first until I noticed your post count.

So I can see why you took offense to that comment. If it helps, I was being hyperbolic, I don't think it's actually a "scam".

That doesn't change my opinion on Kickstarter being used for 'Zines, though. However, there are no expectations of anyone else to listen to my opinion. Congrats on the success of your Kickstarter.

Last edited:

woodcutgames

Reaction score
I just picked up a 32 page full colour comicbook the other day for $3.99. Even that's a bit pricey to my mind, usually I'll wait for trades.
That comic has the benefit of a different scale of economy.

Personally I still just think holding a KS for a 'Zine is sombody taking the piss. But if people are willing to drop 2K on that, I wasn't joking, I wouldn't mind a piece of that pie. I can throw together an illustrated set of 13 monster descriptions in a few days.
There is a lot more to the zine than just monster stats. There is information on the cultures in which they exist, hints on how to run games with monsters that can't necessarily be defeated with violence, and a lot more, including separate inserts with paper miniatures. It is priced similarly to other Zine Quest products, without gouging on shipping. These are obscure monsters from disparate cultures, and a lot of the information on them isn't in English. That requires time to research, translate, and verify information.

If you don't like Zine Quest, why are you posting in the thread that is designed for announcing Zine Quest products? It might not be your thing, but why be a jerk about it? This place has a reputation for having reasonable, welcoming moderators.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
If you don't like Zine Quest, why are you posting in the thread that is designed for announcing Zine Quest products?
To be fair, its for kickstarters in general, not just Zine Quest Products More importantly @TristramEvans posted info on a KS earlier in the thread, so posting thoughts about other ones isn't really a stretch

woodcutgames

Reaction score
Edit: You know I just realized that you are the author of said work. I know, that should have been obvious, but I guess Im just really used to just shooting the shit with other posters here, rather than people dropping ads for their own stuff in, so it didn't r4eally register at first until I noticed your post count.

So I can see why you took offense to that comment. If it helps, I was being hyperbolic, I don't think it's actually a "scam".

That doesn't change my opinion on Kickstarter being used for 'Zines, though. However, there are no expectations of anyone else to listen to my opinion. Congrats on the success of your Kickstarter.
Fair enough. It wasn't that I have an issue with someone not liking Kickstarter being used for zines, or not being interested in my project. It just seemed really rude to tell the person doing the Kickstarter that he is doing a scam, doubly so for a moderator. It sort of took me off guard, since one of my friends had recommended this place specifically because of the moderators. I didn't realize that you didn't realize that I was talking about my own project, though. We're good :smile:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Fair enough. It wasn't that I have an issue with someone not liking Kickstarter being used for zines, or not being interested in my project. It just seemed really rude to tell the person doing the Kickstarter that he is doing a scam, doubly so for a moderator. It sort of took me off guard, since one of my friends had recommended this place specifically because of the moderators. I didn't realize that you didn't realize that I was talking about my own project, though. We're good :smile:
Cheers. To be fair, the other Mods are way nicer than me.

I'm the sarcastic edgelord of the bunch.

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Also, I originally glossed over your post (mostly because I'm at work right now), but the back and forth got me to look at your post again. So I'm in for a pdf copy. So some more good came out of it.

woodcutgames

Reaction score
To be honest, the idea of Kickstartering zines really struck me as odd when they announced Zine Quest last year. I have always wanted to get into doing a little bit of development as a side gig, though, and people were responding well to the projects, so I thought it might be a good way to dip my toes in the water. It did a lot better than I expected, and I have had additional sales on DriveThruRPG over the course of the year. A number of last year's backers asked me when I was going to do a followup, and I was interested in seeing how a bestiary would be received, so I decided to give it another shot.

I did enough research for several hundred real world folk magic spells (the focus on last year's issue) and almost 100 folklore monsters from various parts of the Americas for this one, so I will probably do a larger project in this vein later this year, as a more traditional rpg book. I originally intended to have about 30 monsters in this zine, but when I added in the other stuff I realized that I had to limit it more, primarily because of the binding restrictions that Zine Quest has decided to add this year (stapled only).

woodcutgames

Reaction score
Also, I originally glossed over your post (mostly because I'm at work right now), but the back and forth got me to look at your post again. So I'm in for a pdf copy. So some more good came out of it.
Oh, cool! Thank you!

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Reaction score
Welcome to the Pub! I mean that. This wasn't how anyone I think would want your first experience here.

@TristramEvans can speak for himself but I'm guessing he wasn't talking about it being a literal scam so much as surprise at what you can make for somethings on Kickstarter.
Good luck on your KS.

CRKrueger

Legendary Member
Reaction score
13 monsters for $10.

Man, I need to get in on this scam.
Zines are definitely priced in the Premium or Bespoke range, that’s a reality of the printing method and for a lot of people, part of the charm.

A pile of zines around the house in addition to all the other RPG stuff isn’t really what I need, but as pdf files easily sorted, they’re pretty cool.

I have a few books of Native American mythology and folklore, so this interests me to see the authors take. I backed the pdf.

The Butcher

Power Armor Commando
Reaction score
Autarch's kickstarter for their new superhero game Ascendant has just launched: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/autarch/ascendant
Base goal of 10000 US$ and running until April 1st. Over halfway there as of this post.

View attachment 16056

The Ascendant RPG offers:
  • Elegant game mechanics that swiftly simulate the physics of a comic-book world using easy-to-reference real-life benchmarks
  • Color-coded challenge action resolution table (CHART) resolves complex actions with superspeed
  • Infinitely scalable system lets you play heroes of any power level, from streetfighters to living gods – and replicate virtually any character from your favorite anime, comic, manga, or movie settings
  • Countless powers all customizable with an easy-to-use system of modifier tags that lets you match your power’s specifics to your character concept
  • Comprehensive detective mechanics for investigating crimes, interviewing witnesses, and finding clues
  • Detailed options for super-geniuses to create inventions, cure diseases, and even bring their outlandish devices into mass production
  • Extensive rules for responding to emergencies such as asteroid strikes, avalanches, disease outbreaks, earthquakes, fires, nuclear disasters, tornados, tsunamis, and volcanoes
  • Huge catalog of pre-built characters and objects including major military vehicles such as aircraft carriers, attack submarines, and ballistic missiles
  • A dynamic mission generation system to help you create challenges for your heroes
  • An optional campaign setting with ready-to-use heroes, villains, and organizations
  • Spectacular artwork by industry-leading pencilers, inkers, and colorists
I've had a chance to check out the rules and setting background (described through press releases, leaked documents and online posts like an epistolary novel) and I really like what I've seen.
I’m interested a priori in anything Macris designs, and the retro inspiration (log scale, color-coded chart) is a plus, but I found the character sheet super busy and the art a bit tacky.

That being said, I’ll keep an eye out for it as reviews roll out. (Not doing KS these days.)

Bunch

Reaction score
It's hard for me to get excited these days about another point buy system. I have GURPs and HERO and CORPS and EABA. Those have had decades to work out their issues. I'd probably just go with them.

Apparition

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
It's hard for me to get excited these days about another point buy system. I have GURPs and HERO and CORPS and EABA. Those have had decades to work out their issues. I'd probably just go with them.
All of those point-buy systems with the exception of HERO don't really work for super-heroes though, IMO.

The more I look into Ascendant, the more I like it. It feels like a modern amalgam of DC Heroes and FASERIP.

Bunch

Reaction score
All of those point-buy systems with the exception of HERO don't really work for super-heroes though, IMO.

The more I look into Ascendant, the more I like it. It feels like a modern amalgam of DC Heroes and FASERIP.
Would EABA work for supers?

Bunch

Reaction score

Now that's interesting.

Reaction score
Hey guys! Alex Macris here, designer of Ascendant and ACKS.

Urbwar - All of the stretch goals are for additional physical products. I looked at many different Kickstarters and most followed the practice I've adopted of offering a reward tier that includes all stretch goals and a lower priced tier that includes just the core product. There are certainly a few extremely large well-funded companies that include stretch goals for low price tiers, but I'm a one-man shop and don't have the margins for that. My per-unit cost on the 400-page hardcover book is going to be $20+ because I do offset printing out of the US.

Apparition - "a modern amalgam of DC Heroes and FASERIP" was the design goal.

Bunch - Ascendant is a point-buy system but I don't really consider that to be its defining characteristic. What makes it special is the elegance of its mathematics, the speed of its play, and the width and depth of its physics-based mechanics. Imagine if you had the physics foundation of GURPS, the logaritmic scale of DC Heroes/MEGS, and the fast play of FASERIP - that is what I aimed to achieve.

Happy to answer questions about the system.

Endless Flight

Nerd
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks pretty cool, Alex. I might get in on at this at the PDF level. I do have a question. Why do you have roll low being better?

woodcutgames

Reaction score
Zines are definitely priced in the Premium or Bespoke range, that’s a reality of the printing method and for a lot of people, part of the charm.

A pile of zines around the house in addition to all the other RPG stuff isn’t really what I need, but as pdf files easily sorted, they’re pretty cool.

I have a few books of Native American mythology and folklore, so this interests me to see the authors take. I backed the pdf.
Thank you!

urbwar

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Urbwar - All of the stretch goals are for additional physical products. I looked at many different Kickstarters and most followed the practice I've adopted of offering a reward tier that includes all stretch goals and a lower priced tier that includes just the core product. There are certainly a few extremely large well-funded companies that include stretch goals for low price tiers, but I'm a one-man shop and don't have the margins for that. My per-unit cost on the 400-page hardcover book is going to be $20+ because I do offset printing out of the US.
Most kickstarters I back are one man operations (or smaller companies), so your comment about large companies has nothing to do with my comments (since I was referring to KS similar to yours). They still at least offer pdf stretch goals. So while I get your position, not offering pdf stretch goals solidifies my decision to pass. Best of luck though

Reaction score
Most kickstarters I back are one man operations (or smaller companies), so your comment about large companies has nothing to do with my comments (since I was referring to KS similar to yours). They still at least offer pdf stretch goals. So while I get your position, not offering pdf stretch goals solidifies my decision to pass. Best of luck though
Urbwar, I don't really understand that attitude - genuinely. I don't mean this facetiously. I have done 8 prior Kickstarters. In the past, I have generally taken a year to write a baseline book of about 100,000 words and offered PDF stretch goals to increase the content. In this Kickstarter, I took two years to write the entire product in advance and it's 217,000 words of content. There's no PDF stretch goals because I already put everything in the game! I'm not asking anyone to fund my stretch because I already did the work.

I certainly *could* have purposefully reduced the game to a smaller product and then added stretch goals like "add rules for this" and "add rules for that" but that struck me as the sort of dishonest shenannigans that videogame companies employ. Instead I offered actual physical products as stretch goals.

So I'm at a loss as to why offering more content upfront for $20 somehow makes my game unworthy of being backed. Obviously your consumer dollar is your own, but your point of view isn't comprehensible to me. Should I have nerfed my own product and pretended to need money for stretch goals?

Reaction score
Looks pretty cool, Alex. I might get in on at this at the PDF level. I do have a question. Why do you have roll low being better?
Mathematicallly, it allows me to use one roll to handle both color result and special effect. When you roll less than or equal to your Acting Value, you trigger a special effect in addition to whatever color result you achieve.

So for instance, let's say I have Marksmanship 12 and I'm firing my Flame Cannon at a target with Agility 11. My RV is +1. If I roll 1-2 I get a Red, 3-13 Orange, 14-33 Yellow, 34-67 Green. That's based on the Challenge Action Resolution Table (CHART). If I roll a 1-12, I also trigger a "Burning" special effect, because my Acting Value is 12.

If I swapped the CHART so that a high roll was better, then I'd be asking the player to either
(a) want to both roll low and roll high, which I don't like; or
(b) to calculate his chance of a Special Effect as 101 - Acting Value each time he rolled. So at AV 12, I'd crit on 101-12 = 87+. Since that sort of "subtractive math" got me 10 years of criticism in ACKS, I decided not to go that route. :-D

Aesthetically, I've always preferred roll low for D100-based systems.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Urbwar, I don't really understand that attitude - genuinely. I don't mean this facetiously. I have done 8 prior Kickstarters. In the past, I have generally taken a year to write a baseline book of about 100,000 words and offered PDF stretch goals to increase the content. In this Kickstarter, I took two years to write the entire product in advance and it's 217,000 words of content. There's no PDF stretch goals because I already put everything in the game! I'm not asking anyone to fund my stretch because I already did the work.

I certainly *could* have purposefully reduced the game to a smaller product and then added stretch goals like "add rules for this" and "add rules for that" but that struck me as the sort of dishonest shenannigans that videogame companies employ. Instead I offered actual physical products as stretch goals.

So I'm at a loss as to why offering more content upfront for $20 somehow makes my game unworthy of being backed. Obviously your consumer dollar is your own, but your point of view isn't comprehensible to me. Should I have nerfed my own product and pretended to need money for stretch goals?

I completely agree with you there. The artificiality of how stretch goals are getting used/abused as a drip-fed incentive by large companies really annoys me these days.

Cheers on the game, btw.

Apparition

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score

I agree that the reaction may be a tad overboard, but I'm curious if you would eventually offer PDF versions of the GM screen, maps, introductory comic book, and artbook, should those stretch goals be reached? If so, perhaps add a new PDF-only tier with those add-ons?

In any case, I am all in for a hardcover myself.

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Hey @Necrozius

There's one of these Zine-RPGs on KS right now that is very obviously based on Kingdom Death...

Wow. Very based on it. Kind of, dare I day, ripping it off?

To be fair, KD:M itself borrowed a lot from other places.

I will keep an eye on this one. It might have some neat resources for inspiration, anyway.

Cheers for sharing!

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Eh, our hobby is pretty incestuous, much like comics. I figure "(IP) with the serial numbers scrubbed off" is par for the course.

I may pick up the PDF just to see how it handles converting the ideas to an RPG, something I'd dearly love for Kingdom Death to do itself some day. But probably not until long after Kingdom Death: Labyrinth comes out.

dbm

G-Man
Reaction score
More good feedback
Another bit of constructively intended feedback: the action chart is very hard to read for me at present. It would be easier if the colours were, for example, only 50% opaque.

CRKrueger

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Hey @Necrozius

There's one of these Zine-RPGs on KS right now that is very obviously based on Kingdom Death...

Hmm, one generation per session?
A generational game involving advancement of a society in a game the size of a zine?

It would have to be so ridiculously structured and abstracted as to hardly be a RPG by any but the loosest definition.