Kickstarter projects for 2020

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Yeah Graphic Designers gone wild often forget to keep things readable without a strong editorial hand.

I think there's a big divide between the publisher world aimed at gamers and that aimed at people who read and talk about games. Within our niche hobby there is definitely a subset online of people who's "social cache" is based on the new hawtness, and the more avant-garde, the better. Playability/readability isn't even really a concern.

I think White Wolf kicked off this trend, or at least were the first to recognize/cater to it,but it's been growing ever since the turn of the millenium and the creation of forums.

I'm not complaining/criticizing. I can appreciate a feast for the eyes (or at least an attempt at one), but when it comes to actually sitting down and gaming, I prefer a reference manual with a robust index over some shiny.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
I saw a copy of Juxtapoz magazine in the Inbox of my workplace’s Graphics dept, that to me along with mags like Raygun and Interview, which I don’t know if they still exist, are the epitome of The Graphic Designer Gone Wild ethos.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
And, here's me realizing I haven't even looked at a magazine in over a decade

dbm

G-Man
Reaction score
In general I find the ‘non-creative’ roles are all under appreciated and the first to be ignored as non-essential. Kickstarter campaign seem to be super-vulnerable to this.

Project managers and editors are the obvious casualties and it is the product that suffers.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
The hobby does seem to have suffered from a particular dearth of copy-editors since the dawn of time.

I bet one could fill an entire book just pointing out typos in RPGs (I'd title it "See Page XXX")

Nobby-W

Far more clumsy and random than a blaster
Reaction score
The hobby does seem to have suffered from a particular dearth of copy-editors since the dawn of time.

I bet one could fill an entire book just pointing out typos in RPGs (I'd title it "See Page XXX")
There is a famously enormous Traveller errata document kicking about on the interwebs. For all their other faults the Traveller grog set are very good at keeping track of this sort of thing. Megatraveller, in particular, was particularly bad for slack editorial standards and its errata are legion.

I like Donald Knuth's approach to errata and bugs in TeX. He used to give a cheque for $2.56 to the first person to discover any error. Most of them got kept or framed and never cashed, and were viewed as a kind of status symbol.

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I rather enjoyed the marriage of art and layout in one of the last books by He Who Must Not be Named, called Frostbitten and Mutilated. It has the artist’s crazy loose style but the text was relatively easy to read with plenty of white space. However, it maintained its stylish cred.

Mothership is right at the border though. Looks really neat but feels claustrophobic (which is appropriate to the theme of the game, for sure, but still)...

Anyway, it can be done well. That Mork Bork book looks really gorgeous and readable too.

Nobby-W

Reaction score
[ . . . ]
Project managers and editors are the obvious casualties and it is the product that suffers.
This is, of course, the complete opposite of I.T. in the financial services sector where the normal response is to hire more managers. Because what a project that's struggling with its workload needs is more managers, right?

Necrozius

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me why Ptolus is such a big freakin' deal?

It seems like such bog-standard fantasy to me. Why are people gushing over it so hard? Did a YouTube celebrity praise it or something?

50$ CAD is an AWFUL lot for a PDF... There's no way that this hobby must have so many "must have" products at such decadent prices.

Nobby-W

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me why Ptolus is such a big freakin' deal?

It seems like such bog-standard fantasy to me. Why are people gushing over it so hard? Did a YouTube celebrity praise it or something?

50$ CAD is an AWFUL lot for a PDF... There's no way that this hobby must have so many "must have" products at such decadent prices.
If you count Monte Cook as a youtube celebrity then one could say so - in a manner of speaking.

Ptolus the biggest RPG supplement published in its day and got a lot of attention for this at the time. Apparently it had a fairly large art budget and was quite expensive to produce - big enough that even TSR/WOTC had to think twice about producing it. I think everything else is memetics.

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Reaction score
Monte is very good at marketing, producing beautiful products and knowing what whales will buy.

And they are great products. Top notch art, layout etc.
The original Ptolus is immense but we'll indexed and designed to be a reference book.

The Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Ptolus the biggest RPG supplement published in its day and got a lot of attention for this at the time. Apparently it had a fairly large art budget and was quite expensive to produce - big enough that even TSR/WOTC had to think twice about producing it. I think everything else is memetics.
Wasn't Ptolus produced and published by Malhavoc Press?

As @Bunch said above it's an immense book of 800 pages. But it's layout makes it very easy to use in a game. At least according to one of my friends, who I gave my physical copy too. Still have the pdf though.

dbm

G-Man
Reaction score
Ptolus is in the last couple of hours if people fancied it but haven’t made their mind up yet...

3rik

invidus es nostris quoniam tu talia nescis
Reaction score
Another campaign getting into the final furlong: Town Battle Maps

Lots of stretch goals achieved, now...
I'm still in! Whereas most of the Dungeon Battle Maps from their last Kickstarter seem to look a bit samey, these look really versatile.

Last edited:

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Reaction score
Just got an email about a Kickstarter for new editions of Monsters! Monsters! and the Toughest Dungeon in the World solo adventure.

Kind of on the fence about this one. I have the FBI version, and I'm not sure I need it. I mainly use it as a Monster Manual of sorts. Toughest Dungeon looks more frustrating than anything. Legend is that it is not survivable or able to be completed. Hell, T&T solos are meatgrinders as it is. So, I dunno.

dbm

G-Man
Reaction score
I'm still in! Whereas most of the Dungeon Battle Maps from their last Kickstarter seem to look a bit samey, these look really versatile.
I think there is a clear evolution, and now they know the market better and have Kickstarter to help with the economies of scale they are starting to produce more ‘targeted’ books.

Gringnr

Chief of the Boat Feels
Reaction score
I rather enjoyed the marriage of art and layout in one of the last books by He Who Must Not be Named, called Frostbitten and Mutilated. It has the artist’s crazy loose style but the text was relatively easy to read with plenty of white space. However, it maintained its stylish cred.

Mothership is right at the border though. Looks really neat but feels claustrophobic (which is appropriate to the theme of the game, for sure, but still)...

Anyway, it can be done well. That Mork Bork book looks really gorgeous and readable too.
On the opposite end of that, we have Icons. Tons of splashy colors, shapes that make no sense and have no relevance to the game or its theme, and HUGE borders on every page. I've always suspected that it's a way to inflate the page count, but the signal to noise ratio is very low. Graphically, Icons is one of the least appealing games I've ever seen.

Spellslinging Sellsword

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I think Fading Suns is a really cool setting (I think I own all the 1st/2nd edition books), but I just am meh at this kickstarter. I don't see any reason to make the core book more than a single book and the artwork, although in color, doesn't excite me. In fact, it doesn't even seem to fit the original setting vibe to me.