• Yes.

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • No.

Votes: 49 71.0%
  • Have a nice day.

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters
Sometimes the internet feels like perpetual High School
Hate to break it to you, but no one has ever left high school. All the cliques and bullying just changes the newer, slightly bigger stage. The old People, Variety and other women's Mags were proof enough of that.

Not my life experience at all.
Ladies and gentlemen? One of the lucky ones! Seriously, if you can't see it around you, then you're one up on most people! And probably MUCH happier than the rest of us!

Ladies and gentlemen? One of the lucky ones! Seriously, if you can't see it around you, then you're one up on most people! And probably MUCH happier than the rest of us!

Even if it IS an extension of high school, as you say. There are far more corridors to wander down to avoid those you don't like. No man, my high school experience was NOTHING like my after High School experience. Not even on the same dimension.

Hate to break it to you, but no one has ever left high school. All the cliques and bullying just changes the newer, slightly bigger stage. The old People, Variety and other women's Mags were proof enough of that.

I dunno, I'm a cynic, but not a pessimist. My life has been perpetually better since leaving High School.

I dunno, I'm a cynic, but not a pessimist. My life has been perpetually better since leaving High School.

Same.

Now, I've experienced a couple of particular environments that were high school-like (pro wrestling locker rooms can be, for instance), but in my experience, "life" became the great equalizer for the cliques around here. But we're all poor hillbilly Oklahomans, so failure was always going to be our only option.

I wish I could say that was totally true for me but I've rarely been able to recreate the magic of having a ton of friends with plenty of free time to do whatever I was into.

Sometimes I run into that cool kid click these days. It's not as bad as it was in highschool. People just have preferences and less time to spend on themselves so it's less a case of cool and more a case of overlap and reward for time spent.

Wait, you've never heard of "eternal september"?

Now I feel old... :cry:
Isn't that related AOL adding internet access?

My high school years were best described as “what could have been”. Not awful by any stretch and I had fun starting my senior year but I’d hindsight being 20/20...just not what It could have been.

Isn't that related AOL adding internet access?
Yes, because prior to that there was only a wave of newcomers who had to be taught manners when people got access through college in September.

But AD&D still sucked in those "golden" years

From here
AD&D sucks for all the previously given reasons. Try The Fantasy Trip
or better yet *****TRAVELLER******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rich Magill

Rich Magill has the honor of being the first documented poster to slag an RPG.

If you want to browse the archive.

Why AD&D sucked

unc!tim
View profile
More options Oct 20 1982, 6:28 am
Newsgroups: net.games.frp
Date: Wed Oct 20 06:28:39 1982
Local: Wed, Oct 20 1982 6:28 am
Subject: AD&D sucks

In a possibly vain attempt to get some discussion on this group, I will now come out of the closet
publicly and say I think that Advanced Dungeons and Dragons is a very poor excuse for a game. Gary Gygax has no conception of how books are actually used in a play situation, and a very poor ability to understand hand-to-hand combat. Further, the magic system is totally counter-intuitive. Finally, the importance of magic items (as well as the ideas of class and level) depersonalizes characters, leading to a "rogue"- type environment. (Oh yes, the description of gods in terms of hit dice, etc., is totally useless to the DM, and the unarmed combat system is an atrocity; sorry to have forgotten these.) The only reason that AD&D is the most popular FRP game around is that it has a major lead on the others--unfortunately, TSR has not used this time to improve the rules, only to lengthen them.

The only game I know of that's worse than AD&D, aside from basic D&D, is Tunnels and Trolls. Both RuneQuest and The Fantasy Trip provide much better alternatives, and I am told that SPI's DragonQuest (now owned by TSR) is hard to learn but very smooth once one learns it. I strongly recommend that any AD&D player buy RuneQuest and play a few games before further glorifying their rather primitive game.

I suppose I should be afraid to sign my name,
Tim Maroney (unc!tim)

Last edited:
I never met a gaming shop that I’ve really liked. It’s a bit sad, really, and nostalgic, that the best times I had shopping for RPGs were in Waldenbooks back in the 80s. A store that didn’t even cater to gamers. Go figure.

The worste is when they are working at the place you are trying to actually buy the item from
This happened to me Monday at a local art supply store. I was looking to replace some of my wife's expensive colored pencils and got a lecture from a worker (who looked and acted like a bitter grad school dropout) about how shitty that brand is. They also didn't have the ones I wanted in stock.

This is why people shop online folks. I'm happy to pay higher prices and go through the inconvenience of brick n' mortar to support local business but experiences like this make me rethink my position.

Used to have a great gaming shop in my town called Waterloo Games. The only name that could have been more appropriate would have been Alamo Games.

I've had the owner of an RPG shop actively give a speech to other customers and myself about how no one should be buying RPGs and how he didn't want to carry them in his store.
Inclines me to wonder what he did want to carry in his store.

Well I recall hearing the head of HR at a software company I worked for say "I hate software engineers.". That went over well.

I used to go to a shop in which the owner - who I liked - REALLY only wanted people to buy the shit he already spent money on, and wouldn't bother ordering stuff for me even though I offered to pay in advance.

He's not in business anymore. I pretty much stopped shopping there a few years before then.

Inclines me to wonder what he did want to carry in his store.

CCGs. He got higher margin on them. He flatly stated he only carried RPGs in order to bring in people and switch them to CCGs, specifically Magic: The Gathering.

He was also a huge WotC fanboy. He had the kind of zeal for them you normally only see in rabid Nintendo console fans.

Edit:

Oh, once I was in the store when he went on a huge rant. Hero 5 had just come out. The store had got a few of the corebook in. Well, the local Hero community popped in, each bought their copy of the book, and left without any cross sales.

He threw a fit. He claimed he wasn't going to stock any more of Hero Games material. He said it was absolutely pointless, because the (expletives) role gamers only buy garbage he doesn't make any money on. He pretty much viewed anyone who wasn't giving him the maximum profit margin possible with utter contempt.

Last edited:
I'm amazed and how often I've encountered game stores where the owners clearly had no notion of customer service. And I don't mean corporate-level "you need to smile and great anyone entering within ten seconds" or the like, I just mean a basic level of treating a customer like a customer. I've always assumed it's because a majority start a shop thinking it will be just a way for them to get paid to hang out with their friends or something, but egads in both of the major hobbies I've had in my life - RPGs and comicbooks, it seems epidemic that the would-be businesspeople do everything in their power to ensure they won't make any money.

The guys at my local game store are complete knobs. If they aren't being rude they're being lazy or talking trash in the vein of how "group X is ruining gaming". The store's saving grace is a gaming club next door where you can rent space to run games.

My FLGS sucks a lot more than Kickstarter. It's not a bad place but it's always neck-deep in college-aged geeks with highly varied notions of personal hygiene. Most of them are playing CCGs with a few playing Pathfinder or WoD, and one or two serious neckbeards in the back at a table swarming with minis. I walk in and everyone stares at me for a minute like I'm a refugee from Planet Normal. I wouldn't care so much about the other stuff if they didn't do that.

They would boycott themselves over something or another within about 5 mins.
Another popular site would bludgeon each other to death and survivors would go out for beers.

Another less popular site would say they sell games but all their patrons would actually buy from Amazon or eBay and just drink at the store...

There was a related Dragons Lair in Bellevue for a time. Nice little store. Closed down a few years ago.
Yeah. David Wheeler (original owner of the Austin store) has been trying to get a franchise thing off the ground for about a decade now, to mixed results.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back