Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Spellslinging Sellsword

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the comic, but now that I think about it I didn't finish reading volume 4 which collects issues #16-20 of DIE. Having said that, I'm not sure how much has changed since the beta version of the rpg, but it didn't grab me in its beta form.

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here read the comic? The concept, as a game, sounds interesting:

The comic, as others have said, is excellent. It draws on so much RPG history and elements, and is an examination of why we game and how it affects us.

The designers who worked with the comic writer, Kieron Gillen, are Rowan, Rook, & Decard who made Spire and Heart, which are both great games.

I enjoyed the comic, but now that I think about it I didn't finish reading volume 4 which collects issues #16-20 of DIE. Having said that, I'm not sure how much has changed since the beta version of the rpg, but it didn't grab me in its beta form.

I’ve followed along on the playtest sporadically, and my understanding is there’s been some significant changes. The basic premise and core elements are similar, but refined. Supposedly a lot has been edited down so that the rules are clearer and cleaner.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
The comic, as others have said, is excellent. It draws on so much RPG history and elements, and is an examination of why we game and how it affects us.

The designers who worked with the comic writer, Kieron Gillen, are Rowan, Rook, & Decard who made Spire and Heart, which are both great games.

I’ve followed along on the playtest sporadically, and my understanding is there’s been some significant changes. The basic premise and core elements are similar, but refined. Supposedly a lot has been edited down so that the rules are clearer and cleaner.

That makes sense I remember when KG posted his beta-rules he was pretty humble and kept noting he was not a pro game designer.

hawkeyefan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
That makes sense I remember when KG posted his beta-rules he was pretty humble and kept noting he was not a pro game designer.

Yeah, he’s a creative guy, which is obvious from his work, but game design uses a different kind of creativity, I think. But he had obviously given it a lot of thought and had some very cool ideas. The classes alone are great, and each uses one of the classic polyhedrals…I love that.

But bringing in accomplished game designers was a good idea.

For me, one of my favorite recent comics being turned into an RPG by the designers of my favorite recent game…this has been on my radar for a while.

Last edited:

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
The comic is a rpgnerd wet dream with loads of references to rpgs, wargames and classic fantasy and sf literature. I think it is fun for that reason despite the dark subject matter.
Interesting...:shade:

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
I found this from the guys who produce The Black Hack. Much like Mork Borg, the rules-lite book has lovely presentation, evocative ideas and loads of atmosphere but contains relatively little content. I am not sure what it is but something about the art and setting speaks to me. I am getting weird 70's psychedelic fantasy vibes.

Last edited:

Imaginos

I am the one you warned me of
Reaction score
Holy moley. Goodman Games just launched a new KS for a module. I had set it to remind me. But $50 for a PDF? $100 if I wanted PDF and print? I will wait until it is available from retailers for cheaper. Unbelievable.

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score
Holy moley. Goodman Games just launched a new KS for a module. I had set it to remind me. But $50 for a PDF? $100 if I wanted PDF and print? I will wait until it is available from retailers for cheaper. Unbelievable.

That might be the price retail from a discount store. Temple of Elemental Evil was $99 retail. It's $68 on Amazon. My guess is this will go for $150 retail as it is 30% larger than ToEE. Amazon will probably sell it for $99-109.

Acmegamer

Legendary Member
Reaction score

I'm annoyed at the pricing structure. I would like to go all in with both physical/pdf for both DCC and 5e but I'm not sure the value is there at $200.00

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
Well, it is a three book slipcase edition, so technically its three books. The 1979 reprint, and update to 5E/DCC plus an additional Campaign book. Meh, still seem like a lot, especially if you don't really care about the reprint of the expanded campaign rules.

Stan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten any of the Goodman Games reprint sets? They always seem pricey for a blown up 32 or 64 page adventure. From the descriptions, there seems to be a bunch of redundancy. Do they expand the adventure much?

$50 is way too much for something that I will probably never use.

Acmegamer

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well, it is a three book slipcase edition, so technically its three books. The 1979 reprint, and update to 5E/DCC plus an additional Campaign book. Meh, still seem like a lot, especially if you don't really care about the reprint of the expanded campaign rules.

In that case I'd think that $150.00 for both pdf/prints would be fair. $200.00 still feels a bit too pricey even for me.

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten any of the Goodman Games reprint sets? They always seem pricey for a blown up 32 or 64 page adventure. From the descriptions, there seems to be a bunch of redundancy. Do they expand the adventure much?

$50 is way too much for something that I will probably never use.
I have them all. They very in value. Some have a ton of reprints in them. #1 has reprints of B1 & B2 in various incarnations/art. If you don't like having the ability to compare two print runs side by side then it's a huge waste. If you like it, it's very fun. They usually have a section from someone working on the modules telling you little behind the scene secrets/old info. B1 was subbed out for B2 because the royalty contract for B1 was very very generous to the author and they got tired of writing large checks to him (for 1970's era) Then you have the updated to 5e version. Often this takes the original module and expands on things that were bare bones before. Adding new things completely and generally updating the module to a more 5e style. If that's all you wanted you should just by the 1e pdf and the 5e conversion pdf. Much cheaper.

Spellslinging Sellsword

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Per the interview in the book, the royalty on B1 was 2% cover price which at the time meant 11 cents per $5.50 copy sold. Adjusted for inflation they screwed him over because they didn't want to pay him 47 cents of a $23 product. It's too bad because B1 is far superior to B2 for teaching new DMs.

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score
Per the interview in the book, the royalty on B1 was 2% cover price which at the time meant 11 cents per $5.50 copy sold. Adjusted for inflation they screwed him over because they didn't want to pay him 47 cents of a $23 product. It's too bad because B1 is far superior to B2 for teaching new DMs.
He also acknowledged he was riding on the coat tails of the Basic Sets popularity. He received a significant payout (his words) arguably having less to do with his product than the popularity of D&D as a fad

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score

I really want this and the 5e/DCC versions will be a lot more useful at the table as the font, spacing and other layout are much improved but yeah that price point is a bit much.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Reaction score
I really want this and the 5e/DCC versions will be a lot more useful at the table as the font, spacing and other layout are much improved but yeah that price point is a bit much.
If you got both versions (at least in PDF) I'd be more OK with the price point.

Imaginos

Reaction score
If you got both versions (at least in PDF) I'd be more OK with the price point.
Right. If it was $50 for both versions of PDF, would be more palatable. They are already up to $250k so almost 2000 people think the price point is acceptable.

Not saying there isn’t a lot of effort and expense going into making this (pdf or print), but GG also ran that Kickstarter for the $15 bin for the shelf. So part of this feels like “they will pay for it so we will charge it.” Since free economy, by all means, go ahead.

SavAce

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Looks like the Everyday Heroes Kickstarter kicked off today. It's basically "D20 Modern, if it was based on 5e instead." An unusual thing about it is just how many licensed movie tie-ins they are bringing along for the ride.

Imaginos

Reaction score
Looks like the Everyday Heroes Kickstarter kicked off today. It's basically "D20 Modern, if it was based on 5e instead." An unusual thing about it is just how many licensed movie tie-ins they are bringing along for the ride.

I’m going for the core book plus PDF at $50. Not interested in the season pass model for the licensed settings.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Hmmm. I've got other systems I'd run modern/near-future in before 5e. I dunno...are things starting to feel kinda d20-glutish again, or is it just me?

IMO not even close to the d20 glut. 5e has been out since 2014 and we're only starting to see these spin-offs in earnest. Although I agree trying to do everything with 5e is not a great idea.

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I've got other systems I'd run modern/near-future in before 5e. I dunno...are things starting to feel kinda d20-glutish again, or is it just me?
It's not just you - for one, I very much agree:thumbsup:! If we're not there yet, it sure seems to be headed that way...

Unlike Voros Voros obviously, but plurality of opinions and all that:grin:!

Baulderstone

Reaction score
I think the key difference is that fewer established companies are jumping in. During the D20 glut, it felt like every company that was big when 3E came out was trying to get in on it to the detriment of their existing games. I don't feel companies are abandoning their own lines and customers at the same level as during the D20 boom.

AsenRG

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I think the key difference is that fewer established companies are jumping in. During the D20 glut, it felt like every company that was big when 3E came out was trying to get in on it to the detriment of their existing games. I don't feel companies are abandoning their own lines and customers at the same level as during the D20 boom.
I hope you two with Voros Voros are right:thumbsup:.

Bunch

E-Rocker is a goose.
Reaction score

This looks cool but. I'm not sold on the subscription model. Please keep us appraise of how it turns out and what you think of the rules.

Gabriel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
If someone already shared this, I missed it.

Obviously it isn't one of those struggling Kickstarters. It's definitely one they could have just opened up a conventional retail pre-order and done fine.

I jumped in because that art is really selling the concept for me. Plus, the set looks like some grade A shelf candy.

But I'm actually very taken by the game's concept. I had actually been experimenting with something similar a few months back, except my concept was that a group of sentient dolls explore a creepy abandoned mansion. This take of little people in a house is something I've seen tried before (most recently in Pixies for BESM), but I think this is the first time I've seen it done with such style. I'm really thinking the flash put into it (rather than treating it as a Saturday morning cartoon) is elevating the concept.

There's a quickstart available too.

I guess I'm just an easy mark, but I'm all in on this one. I'm pretty excited. It's going to be hard waiting over a year for it.

Stan

Legendary Member
Reaction score
If someone already shared this, I missed it.

Obviously it isn't one of those struggling Kickstarters. It's definitely one they could have just opened up a conventional retail pre-order and done fine.

I jumped in because that art is really selling the concept for me. Plus, the set looks like some grade A shelf candy.

But I'm actually very taken by the game's concept. I had actually been experimenting with something similar a few months back, except my concept was that a group of sentient dolls explore a creepy abandoned mansion. This take of little people in a house is something I've seen tried before (most recently in Pixies for BESM), but I think this is the first time I've seen it done with such style. I'm really thinking the flash put into it (rather than treating it as a Saturday morning cartoon) is elevating the concept.

There's a quickstart available too.

I guess I'm just an easy mark, but I'm all in on this one. I'm pretty excited. It's going to be hard waiting over a year for it.
Looking at the quickstart, it's going to a beautiful book.

3rik

(ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣﹏ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣) R.I.P. Hana Kimura (1997 - 2020)
Reaction score
What do people here make of this?

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
What do people here make of this?

Really depends on the quality of the writing and the advice. One red flag is that in the campaign notes he admits he has other KS projects he is still working on to complete and is behind on. Launching a new KS when another is outstanding and behind schedule, for a one-man shop, is not a good sign imo.

3rik

(ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣﹏ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣) R.I.P. Hana Kimura (1997 - 2020)
Reaction score
Really depends on the quality of the writing and the advice. One red flag is that in the campaign notes he admits he has other KS projects he is still working on to complete and is behind on. Launching a new KS when another is outstanding and behind schedule, for a one-man shop, is not a good sign imo.
But is Jim Pinto, like, famous or well-known?

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com