Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I quit my day job to create full time for the RPG community. This is my maiden voyage.

MACE is a zine of 50 original monsters plus their respective traps and treasures to stock your tabletop dungeons adventures.

These are not your ordinary hack and slash monsters.
Each is individually illustrated and designed to present a new type of threat, obstacle, or concern for your players.
3cb3ae05b277c6d87497c705a0b5f4d3_original.jpg

This project will use no more than 10 illustrations from my current portfolio of monsters.
The remaining forty will be brand new creations.
All art and accompanying text will be available as a reward for commercial backers.

The Kickstarter ends April 14th, 2023 — Join us today!
ef38342aaf838b6b8e3de315343037b4_original.jpg

Asian-themed Zombicide Black Plague with some rules updates that I feel make the game better, personally.

I will keep an eye on it. If they pull in Big Trouble in Little China tributes, I may be in.

Banana Chan has designed some very cool larpscripts, this is a solo ttrpg horror game with paint-by-numbers play.

Give us the Cliff Notes version of S5S please.
Stat and Skill based with a point buy system, though there are packages of skills for professions and racial skill packages. 7 stats, rated 0-6. Skills are rated 1-4.

You start with 5d10 + 1d10 of a different color. Skill targets are 4-16. Skill checks are rolled with a number of d10 = the skil rank + 1, and the different color die, called the success die. The characters skill rank + applicable stat are added to each die. The success die determines if the action is successful, while the skill die increase the margin of success.

Example: A character has a Detect Skill Rank 2 and a Concentration Stat of 3. The characters are engaged in combat, and the GM calls for a roll to detect the sound of an incoming reinforcement vehicle before it arrives. Since it's during combat, the GM sets the roll at Complex, or 10.

The player will roll 2 skill dice for a their detect skill + the 1 success die. They will add +5 to each die total. They roll a 7 on the success die, and a 3 and 8 for the skill dice. 7+5 = 12 for a success, and 8+5 = 13 for a success on one of the skill dice, giving an excellent success.

The GM lets the player know that a vehicle is incoming and will be there in a couple of minutes.

Stat and Skill based with a point buy system, though there are packages of skills for professions and racial skill packages. 7 stats, rated 0-6. Skills are rated 1-4.

You start with 5d10 + 1d10 of a different color. Skill targets are 4-16. Skill checks are rolled with a number of d10 = the skil rank + 1, and the different color die, called the success die. The characters skill rank + applicable stat are added to each die. The success die determines if the action is successful, while the skill die increase the margin of success.

Example: A character has a Detect Skill Rank 2 and a Concentration Stat of 3. The characters are engaged in combat, and the GM calls for a roll to detect the sound of an incoming reinforcement vehicle before it arrives. Since it's during combat, the GM sets the roll at Complex, or 10.

The player will roll 2 skill dice for a their detect skill + the 1 success die. They will add +5 to each die total. They roll a 7 on the success die, and a 3 and 8 for the skill dice. 7+5 = 12 for a success, and 8+5 = 13 for a success on one of the skill dice, giving an excellent success.

The GM lets the player know that a vehicle is incoming and will be there in a couple of minutes.
Thanks, so what happens if you roll a bunch of successes on the skill dice and fail on the success die?

Thanks, so what happens if you roll a bunch of successes on the skill dice and fail on the success die?
You fail. You do have a mechanic for your luck stat- to use luck to reroll the success die, or reroll all the skill dice, or alternately, to use luck to add to the success die roll.

Another project that was 25% funded in the first week, but they still canceled because it "was obviously not going to fund"

People seem to not realize that Kickstarter isn't a sprint for most, but a trudge towards the finish.

Having seen Jeshields Jeshields's stuff I don't think it's a very brave decision at all. :shade:
I say brave because depending on yourself for your success is brave, no matter how good you are. I've seen exceptional people not able to pull it off or struggle, so I never underestimate the work and the faith in yourself it takes to step out there and put yourself out there, and salute anyone that does it.

Just one more day of pledging to go :shade:
Hold on!

... another one?

That phrase "Lewd Dungeon Adventures 5e" sure gave me a chuckle!

"What are you doing?"
"I'm jumping on him and knocking up (rolls) 9 HP! Yeah! Take that!"
"...up? Freudian slip much?"

This looks interesting, with obvious inspiration from Conan and other Appendix N bits...

... something I could see being popular and nice to have it not being 5e! Artwork looks lush too and a decent set of people working on it.

EDIT 1: And you get get hold of a free Primer Bundle.

EDIT 2: And check out the updates page for links to pre-gen characters and free adventures.

1681289217823.png

Last edited:
This looks interesting, with obvious inspiration from Conan and other Appendix N bits...

... something I could see being popular and nice to have it not being 5e! Artwork looks lush too and a decent set of people working on it.

EDIT 1: And you get get hold of a free Primer Bundle.

EDIT 2: And check out the updates page for links to pre-gen characters and free adventures.

View attachment 58996

There's a thread where we were discussing this somewhere...

How is the game? I've been thinking about it since I missed the original.
It's probably one of the best RPGs I've ever had the pleasure to read. I am biased though (I created the contents of its GM screen and I'm an editor in the new supplement), so rather than take my word for it, check out the Free Basic Rules I linked above. It contains literally the entire system, setting overview, and character and ship generation, along with some adversaries. You could easily use it to run some games, so it's the ultimate, "Try before you buy." especially because you can download a free adventure too: One-Armed Scissor

How is the game? I've been thinking about it since I missed the original.
That's really lovely to hear (and thanks Colin, for pointing me here)!

I hope you enjoy the free stuff Colin linked - we've tried to give away as much as possible while still staying financially in the green, as I spent a long time subsisting on hardship tiers and free samples when it came to RPGs, and getting a good sense of what you're buying is pretty important.

Another project that was 25% funded in the first week, but they still canceled because it "was obviously not going to fund"

People seem to not realize that Kickstarter isn't a sprint for most, but a trudge towards the finish.

Unfortunately, we're going to see more of this. A KS that catches lightning in a bottle can be a career changer. A barely funded KS that inches over the line means nothing to anyone who didn't buy the product.

I can see not funding in the first day becoming equated to "not enough interest to make it worthwhile". Of course since everyone wants a completed document before they pledge, and the KS just for printing, that means you can't get the funds to actually write, so it will be a hobby job at best.

In other words, we're be right back where we started, with people needing capital to even get in the game, and all the egalitarian advantages of stuff like Patreon and Kickstarter vanish.

Of course since everyone wants a completed document before they pledge, and the KS just for printing, that means you can't get the funds to actually write, so it will be a hobby job at best.
I think that's a function of people bailing on projects or taking forever because of writer's block or something else. I know I don't pledge for a KS unless there's at least a first draft done, and I don't see that as unreasonable.

That also doesn't mean you need capital- just drive, like a lot of other things. To get into anything that you're doing on your own, you have to support yourself and also work on whatever it is- that's just the way most have to do things. So you can get things done without funding - you write your game while you work, then after your game is written (or at least a first draft) you get the money for editing, artwork, layout, etc.

That seems a much better deal that it was before there was Kickstarter or Patreon. And there are quite a few people that do it that way and it's not just a hobby- they're just well organized and good at what they do.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back