Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So in the broadest strokes it's a D&D OSR/5E clone?
Seems like it although we won't know until see the full level range. If it 1 to 20 then it probably more of a 5e clone.
I do like Reaper Miniatures, well the more Old School looking ones at least so I am curious about this project. St. Cuthbert knows I need another OSR RPG system like a hole in my head.
The problem everybody faces is that without Wizard's "official" rulebook it is hard to make supplemental material without a core rulebook you can sell. It is why I took the extra steps of taking what I use and turning it into the Majestic Fantasy RPG.

It may be all a hop and a skip from each other but for the average hobbyist, it works best if there is a core book to buy along with the cool supplement they like.

Wizards fucking around with the OGL is going to have a lot of unintended consequences for them and the hobby.

Seems like it although we won't know until see the full level range. If it 1 to 20 then it probably more of a 5e clone.

The problem everybody faces is that without Wizard's "official" rulebook it is hard to make supplemental material without a core rulebook you can sell. It is why I took the extra steps of taking what I use and turning it into the Majestic Fantasy RPG.

It may be all a hop and a skip from each other but for the average hobbyist, it works best if there is a core book to buy along with the cool supplement they like.

Wizards fucking around with the OGL is going to have a lot of unintended consequences for them and the hobby.
Do you have MJ RPG up to a place where we can see it?

From the report I posted earlier 5E modules are very easy to run with this new Reaper thing.

Do you have MJ RPG up to a place where we can see it?
The free stuff is found here.

Specifically this

The polished Basic Rules can be found here and it is not free in cost but it has an SRD that one can use for their own projects.

1698783756438.png

Unlike the free version, it includes monsters, treasure, and advice.

Grimtooth's Traps for 5e and DCC. Love Grimtooth's, but I already have 2 copies of the Ultimate Traps Collection. So probs not gonna back.

Edit: lemme be clear, not poo-pooing this. I genuinely love Goodman Games, and their KS campaigns are always worth the cash. But I have all the Grimtooth's stuff I need, and it probably wouldn't be too difficult to adapt on the fly, if I needed to. Still nice to see Grimtooth getting some love. And if - IF - there turns out to be a majority of new material here, I might change my mind.

Last edited:
Just came across this kickstarter by accident, Reaper Miniatures RPG 'Dungeon Dwellers'

The kickstarter page has links to several videos explaining and showing off the RPG system.

The font and name harken back to Heritage Miniature back in the late 70s early 80s when they sold a miniatures RPG lite game by the same name. As a child a friend of mine had it and it was good enough for a lite GMless dungeon crawl. I'm following the Kickstarter out of nostalgia. I've downloaded the PDF of the rough draft but haven't dug into it yet.

Last edited:
Play as the one of the classic monsters fighting off evil people in this new horror parody RPG, live now on Kickstarter!

It's your chance, as a regular old witch, vampire, ghost, werewolf, mummy or Not-Frakenstein monster to team up with one another and help the people fight the evil people! Yes, all of you are depressed and maybe a bit rusty, but you still have your powers, charm, magic and a lot of heart!

Discover MANSTERS now! Fight back the evil people and get the respect and fear your deserve!

Mansters Main.png

ABOUT THE GAME
Mansters
is a new horror parody RPG by Black Lantern Studio (Soulmist, Soulmist: Unspoken Tales). In Mansters, players choose their character between the 6 available options of classic folklore monsters (Vampire, Witch, Ghost, Werewolf, Mummy and the Frankenstein monster) that have been depressed, because they cannot spread fear as they used to. That's happening because evil people (or Mansters as we call them) have taken their place in society, feeding off the misery and hopelessness that they inflict on human society. It's now the classic monsters' job to team up with the good people in society in order to overthrow the evil people, the real Mansters of this world!

The Mansters book is an 150 pages book that includes all you need to create your characters, learn and play the game. The game can be easily learned within 30 minutes and players can very quickly create their characters and start playing! Mansters features a number of fresh game mechanics, including the Hack & Slice system, an easy to grasp game system of allocating your abilities and skills, the Edge, which allows players to give a dramatic and narrative effect created by themselves upon a successful confrontation in the game and the Skutendo effect, a funny and creative system that resolves all the failed and unlucky players' encounters that can cause the DM to bring over monster hunters to hunt the players-monsters.

Players will play against antagonists that include the mega-coproration CEO, the local loan shark and the town's corrupt mayor in their attempt to help the local society, overthrow the evil people and regain their status as the only source of fear in the world!

The Mansters book features funny storytelling for all players, comedic characters and ludicrous confrontations while also dealing with contemporary themes and having political undertones. The game has been playtested for years and all the playtesters have been agreeing on both its super fun flow and moments, the freedom it gives to all players and its deepest undertones and effects.

unnamed.png

The font and name harken back to Heritage Miniature back in the late 70s early 80s when they sold a miniatures RPG lite game by the same name. As a child a friend of mine had it and it was good enough for a lite GMless dungeon crawl. I'm following the Kickstarter out of nostalgia. I've downloaded the PDF of the rough draft but haven't dug into it yet.

Reaper Miniatures Dungeon Dwellers line of miniatures has a definite 'Old School' style/appearance to them. Well at least compared to the rest of their more modern art style minatures.

Last edited by a moderator:
This tempted me for about 60 seconds before I remembered something I've learned over the years. Companies that sell miniatures never create the best games because selling minis is always a large factor in their game design. That realization certainly applies to miniature war games and I'm afraid it might be true for an RPG, too. Reaper makes great minis, though. I own a ton.

This tempted me for about 60 seconds before I remembered something I've learned over the years. Companies that sell miniatures never create the best games because selling minis is always a large factor in their game design. That realization certainly applies to miniature war games and I'm afraid it might be true for an RPG, too. Reaper makes great minis, though. I own a ton.
I think that's fair but I think they are going at it from a slightly different angle. The RPG is fairly 5e like from what I've read. The minis they want to sell are minis targeted to adventure they create and give away for free.

I’d seen this posted elsewhere, but don’t think it’s been shaeed here. It’s on Backerkit rather than Kickstarter.

Looks like a pretty cool game.

Deathmatch Island
I backed it the other day. I'm loving the vibe. It's got great space for sliding along a scale between "Battle Royale" and "Gameshow Death Match". It's definitely a Harper system, Where 1 roll will handle cover a "scene".

I love Into the Odd and Electric Bastionland so I may not be able to resist here.

As much as I respect Into the Odd and Electric Bastionland, this may be the first RPG from Chris Dowall that I actually back. The strong Arthurian vibe is much less random (Troika suffers this too IMO) than the previous two and I can see myself building on the material. Its the same reason I bough Liminal Horror which is based on Into the Odd, as the modern world horror setting meant that I can build on the weirdness presented more easily.

As much as I respect Into the Odd and Electric Bastionland, this may be the first RPG from Chris Dowall that I actually back. The strong Arthurian vibe is much less random (Troika suffers this too IMO) than the previous two and I can see myself building on the material. Its the same reason I bough Liminal Horror which is based on Into the Odd, as the modern world horror setting meant that I can build on the weirdness presented more easily.
I'm still wading through the preview PDF but it does look like he's done some interesting stuff with the system. It's not just a rehash of the ItO rules or anything. Very thematic IMO.

I thought some might be interested in some old-school traps

I love Into the Odd and Electric Bastionland so I may not be able to resist here.

I'm still wading through the preview PDF but it does look like he's done some interesting stuff with the system. It's not just a rehash of the ItO rules or anything. Very thematic IMO.

Man. Ugh. I hate being on a budget these days. I only own PDFs of Bastionland and ItO. And this looks so good. It's a really fun system that brings out a different vibe in play vs. standard OSE/ BX or even vs. light and wonderful games like Black Sword Hack.

The fact that the systems been developed further to fit better with the intended genre is fantastic news. I also read that there's several modes of play, including a "Saga" mode that's generational in nature. These changes would give me additional ideas on how to hack the basic ItO structure/rules set.

Without having read the rules, just the way folks are talking about it, I feel like it could do a decent campaign in the vein of Game of Thrones (probably with some modification). I'm not super chuffed about the Arthurian rooted aspects - meaning that's a neutral for me.

If I can scrape together the extra money, I'd love to back this at the physical book level.

Also, related to other pub conversations I've dipped my toe into lately, the fact that the kickstarter is simple without a lot of stretch goals is a definite plus.

Appreciate all the support everybody here has given my kickstarter! Now above $11,000 and over 650 backers!

If you missed my first announcement there are still 3 days left to go before it ends. So far the new PoD digest version of Blackmarsh has been released along with the beta layouts for How to Make a Fantasy Sandbox and the Isle of Pyade.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back