Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think you've came to the same sort of issue I have, albeit from a different angle. One worry I've had ever since SLA 2 was announced (I was there, at Conpulsion, like seven or eight years ago) is that the original book is angry; it's the product of punk kids growing up in the underclass of a country that's spent a decade openly and actively shitting on them and everyone they know. It's like 80's 2000AD and Warhammer 40,000, furious, even if it doesn't always quite understand who it should be angry at. Best part of thirty years later, Dave seems like a pretty chill guy, everyone's safely middle class, they're not in that type of scene any more. It won't feel as authentic.

So I think they might be the wrong people to write a modern version of the game; we'll get SLA 2, designed to appeal to people like me who are fans of the original, rather than a SLA 2021 wrote by and for today's angry disadvantaged punk kids and what they're raging against.
That's likely very true and a good (if off topic) point.

I bought the game back in the day because a) the game shop didn't have Mage the Ascension when I thought it was going ot be released. I had never heard of SLA but b) something in it spoke to me. I never got a chance to run it and I never owned subsequent versions. In fact the game never really popped until the Karma sourcebook came out, bringing the whole 'social media' aesthetic to life.

A large part of the game's appeal is indeed the art, even though it is, as was the case for many games of the time, very hit and miss. Some pieces are dreadful, others really present a unique vision. I quite like the new art, but I can see why others don't.

The use of the term "world of progress" felt very much a deliberate attempt to speak the same language as White Wolf, who were in their heyday at the time "world of darkness". It doesn't really make much sense, but then neither does Mr Slayer in general.

Ruleswise it looks fairly middling. But the old rules were rubbish.

The art looks too modern to me - too polished, too rounded, too colourful and tame.

There have been occasions where I have opted to not buy games because the art doesn't match the feel of the setting. In most of those cases the art looks like something out of a videogame, or is obviously done with Poser, or has a manga or cartoony look to it. It gets in the way of my enjoyment of reading the game. Since it is unlikely that I will get a chance to run most new games I buy (too hard to find players), reading it is the main thing, so it becomes a big part of whether I buy the product or not. I would almost rather have no art than art that doesn't match.

A large part of the game's appeal is indeed the art, even though it is, as was the case for many games of the time, very hit and miss. Some pieces are dreadful, others really present a unique vision. I quite like the new art, but I can see why others don't.

The use of the term "world of progress" felt very much a deliberate attempt to speak the same language as White Wolf, who were in their heyday at the time "world of darkness". It doesn't really make much sense, but then neither does Mr Slayer in general.

Ruleswise it looks fairly middling. But the old rules were rubbish.
It's interesting that they nailed a lot of stuff really early, even before Reality TV was a thing, and looooong before livestreaming (Hell, SLA would have been developed pre-consumer internet). I like that the new rules include things for your TV popularity as a result, but there is some element of diassociation in them that I don't like (Ratings should reward you between missions, or with occasional random fan drops during missions, rather than directly affecting your performance in any way).

I actually liked the old SLA rules. They're simple. They needed some tidying up - make stats do something or drop them entirely, speed up combat, trim down the skills list - but not a full throwing out.

The Ultraviolet Grasslands is now fully colored and heading off to the printer.
Here's an example of a late Kickstarter that was late for very good reasons. It looks unbelievably gorgeous as they apparently went nuts with the art, adding many new pieces and deciding to make them all in color instead of the originally intended 1/3. This project came a long way.

Here's an example of a late Kickstarter that was late for very good reasons. It looks unbelievably gorgeous as they apparently went nuts with the art, adding many new pieces and deciding to make them all in color instead of the originally intended 1/3. This project came a long way.
Yes, and it is only going to be 3-4 months late, which is nothing. All while keeping good communication with backers during the entire process. Good product management is about a lot more than simply meeting an arbitrary deadline.

Anybody got any thoughts on Savage Company Campaign Setting for the Pathfinder RPG by SHM Publishing good bad or indifferent? The project is for a modernist miltary armory rules and a more army combat style campaign setting, whole thing is giving me a Rifts mercenary vibe cool niche setting with a lot of potential but this is apparently their first project so i'm a bit on the fence.

Voidheart Symphony hit KS. It’s a follow up to Rhapsody of Blood, which itself was an off-shoot from Legacy: Life Among the Ruins. Its an urban fantasy game with shades of Castlevania, Persona, and Silent Hill.

OK, I clicked on this KS, and I can't stop laughing.

Uh, definitely NSFW

Huh. "Sure, breasts are wonderful. But ya ever wish your gal had more than just the two?"

Huh. "Sure, breasts are wonderful. But ya ever wish your gal had more than just the two?"
WTF is going on with this KS? I'm trying to picture the ideal audience for this game. The FAQ was...interesting.

Voidheart Symphony hit KS. It’s a follow up to Rhapsody of Blood, which itself was an off-shoot from Legacy: Life Among the Ruins. Its an urban fantasy game with shades of Castlevania, Persona, and Silent Hill.

Grumble grumble why does all the cool urban fantasy stuff keep using the apocalypse engine. I learned the Fate system why can't they use that?

Grumble grumble why does all the cool urban fantasy stuff keep using the apocalypse engine. I learned the Fate system why can't they use that?
You have limited choice these days...
1. 2d20
2. Gonzo OSR
3. PbtA
4. WotC’s latest

If you’re lucky, something else might come down the line, but they’re vastly outnumbered.

1. 2d20
2. Gonzo OSR
3. PbtA
4. WotC’s latest

If you’re lucky, something else might come down the line, but they’re vastly outnumbered.

Whatever happened to designing the system to fit the game, and not the other way around?

1. 2d20
2. Gonzo OSR
3. PbtA
4. WotC’s latest

I never buy 2d20, PbtA, or FATE anymore. Those three are automatic deal-killers for me, unless they can act as useful resources (I have yet to find one that does). I very rarely buy WotC. Even outside of the OSR, I find plenty of other stuff to buy, from systemless to OpenD6 (and variants), Savage Worlds, and more.

I'm not sure I believe that was ever really a thing.

It's not like White Wolf didn't cram everything into Storyteller. Or SJG into GURPS. Or Palladium into... Palladium.

Pendragon, Ars Magica, the first few editions of Shadowrun, MSH, DCH, Dallas, En Garde, Ghostbusters....once upon a time it was a thing

You can pretty much soup anything into Fate, just gotta get the right trappings for Aspects etc. So if you find a setting, then just Fate it up into your homebrew, making it up as you go - Fate's pretty cool that way :shade:

The core mecahnic in PbtA is very minialist, the reason it can be adapted for a wide range of genres is because all the genre specific feel comes from the Moves and Playbooks.

I have the same reaction to any game using Fate :grin:

I actually find Fate and PbtA to be almost polar opposite in approach to narrative gaming, so the choice of system is deliberate based on the one that is preferred.

Whatever happened to designing the system to fit the game, and not the other way around?

I think one of the appeals of PbtA is that its more a framework for designing an RPG system than a universal system. So some designers choose to use it to give them more robust and better known structure for a system that they design to fit their specific game.

I do not understand.
OK, I clicked on this KS, and I can't stop laughing.

Uh, definitely NSFW

It always seemed weird to me that females of species that are known to give birth in litters have only two mammary glands.

There’s nothing wrong with 4-8 breasted species, but this is a great example of what not to do in mini sales.

Don’t put out minis that can’t be used in a broad selection of games unless your IP has a large built-in audience.

Don’t put out minis that can’t be used in a broad selection of games unless your IP has a large built-in audience.

I almost feel bad that it still has only 4 backers. But, in the pre-Kickstarter days, they could have had a closet full of unsold minis and a large credit card bill.

I almost feel bad that it still has only 4 backers. But, in the pre-Kickstarter days, they could have had a closet full of unsold minis and a large credit card bill.
The art's kinda hideous. I don't feel bad at all.

1. 2d20
2. Gonzo OSR
3. PbtA
4. WotC’s latest

Seriously? I never noticed:smile:!
Maybe I'm just not buying enough urban fantasy?

I never buy 2d20, PbtA, or FATE anymore. Those three are automatic deal-killers for me, unless they can act as useful resources (I have yet to find one that does). I very rarely buy WotC. Even outside of the OSR, I find plenty of other stuff to buy, from systemless to OpenD6 (and variants), Savage Worlds, and more.
Same here:shade:.

Seriously? I never noticed:smile:!
Maybe I'm just not buying enough urban fantasy?

I am not sure that there has been much 2d20, Gonzo OSR or WotC urban fantasy. The genre seems to favour White Wolf/Onyx Path, Fate, PbtA, and AGE (roughly in that order).

I would actually love to get a good urban fantasy RPG using D&D5e.

Liminal is a great urban fantasy RPG using its own system that was released earlier this year.

Kingdoms and Warfare, the follow-up to Matt Colville's Strongholds and Followers, the most funded RPG book to date, is up bringing domain management and mass combat to 5e.

And its already at almost $500k :ooh:

The Old-School Essentials kickstarter is in the process of fulfilling the printed materials, but Gavin is also working on pregens as one of the stretch goals, and they are looking very cool.

unnamed.pngunnamed (1).png
As usual, the art is a pleasure.

I am not sure that there has been much 2d20, Gonzo OSR or WotC urban fantasy. The genre seems to favour White Wolf/Onyx Path, Fate, PbtA, and AGE (roughly in that order).
Seriously? I find that the genre favours d100 systems, actually...:grin:
For a recent example: Maelstrom Rome

Maybe you would, but if such a title was published, I might well not notice:shade:.

Liminal is a great urban fantasy RPG using its own system that was released earlier this year.

What's the system like?

So, last 24 hours for the latest Greenskin Wars KS. I haven't brought this one up before, but their Orc sculpts are absolutely gorgeous and they have a great Labyrinth-style aesthetic going on with their goblins

025ce14506292e6125ac42024e6b57c8_original.jpg

3c5bc6dde20d0b082d9a6316ef88e593_original.jpg

3afbfcc35f4ae0cd8bfccae7ea5d59fb_original.jpg

201-knlxqzqh-orc-regiment-2.jpg

Seriously? I find that the genre favours d100 systems, actually...:grin:
For a recent example: Maelstrom Rome

I would consider that historical fantasy over urban fantasy, which usually are set in modern day YMMV

What's the system like?

It’s a simple 2d6 + mod against a diff (usually 8). The system is light and PC creation is points buy. You can create most supernatural types with it.

Its nice and functional. Which is cool as the main draw is the British take on the supernatural world.

There is a nice QuickStart available here:https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/258103

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back