Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Reaction score
Do you have a summary of what the world is about? I saw that and wondered about, but didn't look any deeper.
Not really, beyond what the KS itself says. I've never read the series myself, just seen it praised in the same circles that eat up Anspach & Cole's Galaxy's Edge series. I get the impression, if it helps, that the general setup is more a "plucky humans upset established interstellar order" than a "humans dominate, alone or as part of a coalition" one.

GameMachinery

Reaction score
We're close to launching our Kickstarter campaign for the printed version of Defiant RPG!

kickstarter coming soon small.jpg

Defiant RPG is an urban fantasy game about the mighty, modern-day supernaturals, who rebelled against their destiny and, instead of destroying the world, decided to protect it. By enforcing a demanding set of rules, the Defiant aristocracy empowers protective seals around their cities, making them the only safe-havens in a world ravaged by the Apocalypse.

The Player Characters are the Defiant blue-bloods, leading the supernatural society of fallen angels, demons, ancient gods, and dragons. They are powerful rulers, with their own Holdings (like clubs or luxurious mansions) and faithful subjects.

2.png

The rulebook contains:
  • Complete game rules that will let you play exciting games in the world of Defiant
  • A comprehensive description of the intriguing Defiant universe
  • Two robust chapters for the Game Master, focusing on preparing and running the game, with Basic and Advanced rules to choose from
  • Ready-to-play Province with dozens of NPCs, locations, and two Story Arcs
  • 4 Origins available to play: Angels, Deava, Infernals, and Leviathans
  • 20 Personal Themes for the Characters, with dozens of Traits to choose from, Theme Questions the Players can ask during the game, and special powers
  • 9 Marital Themes with the rules on how to navigate the chosen marriage
  • 9 Court Themes with multiple subjects to govern and problems to deal with
  • 12 Great Houses the Characters may come from, with their own Creeds and Sacred Traditions
  • 6 Holding Themes, enabling you to choose and customize your Character’s home
  • in the Kickstarter version of the game, there are additional Perks and Achievements to make the game even more engaging
3.png

ame rules highlights:
  • There’s no simple “You succeeded” or “You failed” outcome. There’s always a choice, an obstacle, or some trouble involved, but also bonuses, unexpected benefits, and lucky turns of events.
  • Players can influence the story by using different Theme Questions, tailored to playing their chosen Themes. The “Gem” Character can ask, “How am I the center of this event?” or the Guide can ask, “Who approaches me about my teachings?”.
  • Instead of Skills or Attributes, the Characters have descriptive Traits the Players can use creatively. The Traits may sound like “Athletic body,” “Thrives during tournaments,” “Knows how to charm,” “Acclaimed style.”
If you want to know more about Defiant, download a free quickstart!

3rik

(ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣﹏ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣) R.I.P. Hana Kimura (1997 - 2020)
Reaction score
I have that effect on people.

I also have to walk back my complaint. Reading through the adventure from start to finish, what I thought was an integral part of the adventure is an add-on, one of several at the end if the DM wants to run scenarios around the main adventuring area.

The majority of the module really sticks to the idea of you going into the jungle to a lost city, keeping with the South- and Central-American horror flavor you’d expect. The location descriptions and creatures are thematic. Often they’re just existing creatures with altered descriptions, but new monsters are present as well. The art is gorgeous, and the maps are clear while retaining an old-school style.

Another nice thing is an effort is made at continuity, but you have to read to know it. One opening given may leave you wondering “How would anyone know that?” But the rumor table explains it.

It could have used a bit more editing, with a word salad early on, and some references to where an item is useful that are incomplete. There’s also a few places where the author didn’t consider PCs might be of good alignment, and that such characters might have issues with two encounters.

Also, there’s a “trap” with a unique monster, and it not having an XP value is annoying. Finally, the ending is a “Ka-Screw-U” to the players, but also easily changed by a DM who doesn’t want his players to revolt.

Wow, thanks for the mini review, Ralph Dula Ralph Dula. It's a tough decision. They seem to have basically given the thing a complete make-over for the DCC version, which might include the extra editing you mention.

The tone is rather tongue-in-cheek, while still being a deadly adventure. It has a number of puns and references for the DM, though they rarely seep into the player-facing side of the adventure. My experience with DCC has found them more serious than this, so YMMV and all that.
Not quite sure what you're getting at with this. Who is more serious than what?

Ralph Dula

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Not quite sure what you're getting at with this. Who is more serious than what?

I’ve read around a dozen DCC books by various authors. I’d say three or four of them are serious adventures, while another was a great horror scenario until an intended shocking revelation felt like an elementary school student came up with it. At the other end of the spectrum I’ve read a few books where it felt like jokes and nods to pop culture came before the actual writing for the game.

Because of that, unlike most other games I’ve never been able to figure out the baseline for the game when it comes to the mix of seriousness or comedy. With games like Call of Cthulhu or Paranoia I have an idea of what the standard tone is like, and tell you how much a publication differed from the norm. With DCC I’ve never developed a frame of reference for the standard, so I’m not sure how to compare the humor in the module to the standard for the game line..

Chris Brady

Legendary Member
Reaction score
We're close to launching our Kickstarter campaign for the printed version of Defiant RPG!

View attachment 31567

Defiant RPG is an urban fantasy game about the mighty, modern-day supernaturals, who rebelled against their destiny and, instead of destroying the world, decided to protect it. By enforcing a demanding set of rules, the Defiant aristocracy empowers protective seals around their cities, making them the only safe-havens in a world ravaged by the Apocalypse.

The Player Characters are the Defiant blue-bloods, leading the supernatural society of fallen angels, demons, ancient gods, and dragons. They are powerful rulers, with their own Holdings (like clubs or luxurious mansions) and faithful subjects.

View attachment 31568

The rulebook contains:
  • Complete game rules that will let you play exciting games in the world of Defiant
  • A comprehensive description of the intriguing Defiant universe
  • Two robust chapters for the Game Master, focusing on preparing and running the game, with Basic and Advanced rules to choose from
  • Ready-to-play Province with dozens of NPCs, locations, and two Story Arcs
  • 4 Origins available to play: Angels, Deava, Infernals, and Leviathans
  • 20 Personal Themes for the Characters, with dozens of Traits to choose from, Theme Questions the Players can ask during the game, and special powers
  • 9 Marital Themes with the rules on how to navigate the chosen marriage
  • 9 Court Themes with multiple subjects to govern and problems to deal with
  • 12 Great Houses the Characters may come from, with their own Creeds and Sacred Traditions
  • 6 Holding Themes, enabling you to choose and customize your Character’s home
  • in the Kickstarter version of the game, there are additional Perks and Achievements to make the game even more engaging
View attachment 31569

ame rules highlights:
  • There’s no simple “You succeeded” or “You failed” outcome. There’s always a choice, an obstacle, or some trouble involved, but also bonuses, unexpected benefits, and lucky turns of events.
  • Players can influence the story by using different Theme Questions, tailored to playing their chosen Themes. The “Gem” Character can ask, “How am I the center of this event?” or the Guide can ask, “Who approaches me about my teachings?”.
  • Instead of Skills or Attributes, the Characters have descriptive Traits the Players can use creatively. The Traits may sound like “Athletic body,” “Thrives during tournaments,” “Knows how to charm,” “Acclaimed style.”
If you want to know more about Defiant, download a free quickstart!
You have my interest...

3rik

(ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣﹏ᵕ̣̣̣̣̣̣) R.I.P. Hana Kimura (1997 - 2020)
Reaction score
Just before it ended, my wife convinced me to back The Witcher: Old World boardgame at the basic, Standard Box, level. We did not care to get the monster minis because the gameboard is not the same scale as the minis anyway, with minis basically functioning as markers. Nor did any of the add-ons look particularly interesting.
I had seen a favourable review of a demo edition but I was reluctant to back another boardgame before we finally get to play the ones we already own...

Not sure if this has already been posted so here ya go:

Wow, thanks for the mini review, @
Ralph Dula
Ralph Dula. It's a tough decision. They seem to have basically given the thing a complete make-over for the DCC version, which might include the extra editing you mention.
Well, I jumped in for the hardcover DCC version. At worst it seems like a fun adventure to be used with another system.

Aaron

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I am new to these forums. And I'm very grateful for a place to promote my kickstarter for a new 5e supplement. Vaiden is a world setting that is fully 5e compatible. Please head on over to kickstarter and check it. All support is needed and very much appreciated. There is a product description below the pic. Thanks for taking a moment to check it out.

1623506874878.png

Welcome to Vaiden!
After decades of running more games than I care to brag about here, I have decided its time to put all that creative mojo to work for my fellow DMs.
Ok, all bragging aside, I am a first-time publisher and Vaiden is my first ever professionally produced Dungeons & Dragons Supplement. Vaiden is a world setting that was developed with three primary goals.

Goal #1
Create a supplement that offers a whole world. A fresh, intriguing world that inspires creative gameplay but leaves plenty of freedom to create and personalize to the taste of DMs and their players.

Goal #2
Create a setting that is built with vanilla gaming in mind. Using the guidelines and rules as established in Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition using the Dungeon Master’s Guide, the Players Handbook, and the Monster Manual this supplement will be easy to use by new DMs. At the same time, it offers compatibility with other 5e compatible material so experienced DMs can incorporate anything into Vaiden that they desire to.

Goal #3
Leave room to grow. The world of Vaiden is a huge place. This is done to provide a lot of room for DMs to add to the existing world setting. DMs, especially those players who share DM responsibilities in the same world setting, have plenty of room to add kingdoms, cities, terrain features, ruins, etc. as needed. Add in the details of a character’s backstory. Create the domain of a notorious villain. Whatever you need.

What can you find in Vaiden?
A thrilling history describing the backdrop to the setting. A great war was started when a god from a distant material plane invaded Vaiden!
Half a dozen continents of immense size offer diverse terrains, people, and adversities.
A living world with kingdoms, empires, city-states, tribes and the commerce, wars, and intrigue that connect them.
The many seas of Vaiden offer adventure in the form of high seas piracy, encounters with monsters, naval battles, and exploration.
5th edition compatible, add all your favorite Dungeons and Dragons races, feats, magic, and monsters from the sources you enjoy.

There is much to fuel your imagination:
Uncover lost magic-based technology!
Discover a new pantheon of gods!
Learn about the lost history of the world!
Fight in a war between Orcs and Elves!
Live in an Empire run by Vampires!
Adventure in a rainforest filled with Troll tribes!
Hunt in arid plains with Minotaur nomads!
Battle animated suits of armor to investigate ancient ruins!
Visit a valley where Dragons have thrived for centuries!
Battle zombies in a blasted desert landscape!
Search for artifacts in ancient ruins!
Uncover the mysteries of a sleeping god!
Get involved with an expanding Goblinoid Empire!
Become a legend among Barbarians!

Vaiden has a lot to offer.
But it is done without overwhelming the world. This leaves plenty of opportunity for new DMs to grow a world without investing time creating the world. But, for the experienced DM, Vaiden is place that makes it quick and easy to throw together a campaign without investing time on starting a setting.

In Vaiden there are the usual touches you would expect as well.
New weapons, armor, and gear add immersion and function to the world.
New magic items specific to the world for that cool factor that we all love and enjoy.
A new player character race with multiple subclasses.
Charts for on-the-fly villages and towns provide quick assistance.
Charts for setting specific encounters provide convenience and aid immersion.
A list of adventure seeds is provided to help DMs new and old.
Guidelines for lost technology make quest rewards easy.
Original hand drawn artwork.
Original digitally created maps.​

Cthulhu Mythos - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com