Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Is the Advanced version worth it? In my Labyrinth Lord books, all the devils/demons are only in Advanced.

Note: I am approaching this as the be-all end-all version of old school rules for my collection. To replace all others.
The demons and devils are in Advanced as they are a D&D thing.

Are they worth it? I think they are. It is supplemental material, so there is nothing required, but it is good supplemental material. The kickstarter lists the classes and monsters in the Advanced set. I'd recommend taking a look to see if they are things you will use.

As the advanced books are modular, you can just get the ones you want. If the only advanced thing you want it demons and devils, just get the basic set and pick up the advanced monster book individually.

$200 is for the new stuff, plus 6 hardback adventures that were released on the last kickstarter, the T-shirt, 2 issues of the zine and the GM screen.

It's $100 if you just want all the rulebooks. And you really only need the $60 basic set. The advanced is just supplemental classes, spells and monsters. The Basic Set is all you need to play or run.

Yep, for the price its fair and if you don't have the books worth doing in my opinion.

I pledged for the two boxes, then changed my mind and cancelled. I have all the PDFs already and have every edition of D&D except Holmes and 4th edition, so I can't see me actually using the boxed sets. I have mixed emotions about not getting it, but logically it's a waste of my money.

I pledged for the two boxes, then changed my mind and cancelled. I have all the PDFs already and have every edition of D&D except Holmes and 4th edition, so I can't see me actually using the boxed sets. I have mixed emotions about not getting it, but logically it's a waste of my money.
The same for me. At first it was the two boxes but... As nice as they are I just can't rationalize it right now. If this had come up 5 to 10 years ago it would've been an entirely different story though.

I only use a fraction of the Advanced material but it was worth the money. It essentially ports the rules for AD&D including UA and Monster Manual into B/X. I found the rules for charging to be particularly useful.

I stumbled on this a few minutes ago. I’m always a sucker for games that allow you to unload modern munitions into elves. Has anyone read the book (Books? The one graphic is unclear) this is based on?

Yes, I've read the first three and can reccommend them wholeheartedly.

We had a previous thread about some of the preview art here:

Heh, Gig Economy.

Can always use more Land of the Lost type stuff.
I'm not backing Gig Economy. It looks kind of cute and fun, though.

As for Valley Out of Time, (1) there's no print version available to backers outside the US, (2) I can't decide which system I'd want it for and (3) there's going to be four more episodes.

Last edited:
Yes, I've read the first three and can reccommend them wholeheartedly.

Does the point-of-view character change? Walker/Talker is bugging me, and I’m only on page 37 (Turned out a friend of a friend had a copy they could loan me).

Also, is Kurtz going to
undergo a physical metamorphosis? I get that feeling after reading the Kickstarter’s class descriptions

Matthew Finch has a KS for the Tome of Adventure Design in pre-launch. Am I understanding this was a good buy from back in the day?

Does the point-of-view character change? Walker/Talker is bugging me, and I’m only on page 37 (Turned out a friend of a friend had a copy they could loan me).

Also, is Kurtz going to
undergo a physical metamorphosis? I get that feeling after reading the Kickstarter’s class descriptions
Not in this first book - there are some flashbacks in the next that partially explain the Ruin that aren't, but it's mostly Talker. As for Kurtz, I don't think so? A couple of the characters do, and a couple more sort of fit the "Ruined Classes" idea, but I don't think Kurtz was one of them.

Matthew Finch has a KS for the Tome of Adventure Design in pre-launch. Am I understanding this was a good buy from back in the day?

I just got a copy of that last year. It was getting difficult to find in print so hence probably this new revised edition?

Not in this first book - there are some flashbacks in the next that partially explain the Ruin that aren't, but it's mostly Talker. As for Kurtz, I don't think so? A couple of the characters do, and a couple more sort of fit the "Ruined Classes" idea, but I don't think Kurtz was one of them.

Glad to hear that about Kurtz.

At what point do people put Kickstarters on here?

I know there is one coming on Tuesday that people might be interested in but don't want to bypass some written (or unwritten) rule.

At what point do people put Kickstarters on here?

I know there is one coming on Tuesday that people might be interested in but don't want to bypass some written (or unwritten) rule.
There isn't any particular rule. It's nice if there is a link to the kickstarter already, but if you have information on an upcoming kickstarter you are excited about, go ahead and share.

OK, it's Pirate Borg, which probably tells you enough in itself. I'm on the author's Discord channel and it looks good enough to get me to buy something D&D based for a good number of years.

It starts on the 1st and I don't really know much about his Kickstarter plans beyond that. It seems to mostly written which is a good sign.

OK, it's Pirate Borg, which probably tells you enough in itself. I'm on the author's Discord channel and it looks good enough to get me to buy something D&D based for a good number of years.

It starts on the 1st and I don't really know much about his Kickstarter plans beyond that. It seems to mostly written which is a good sign.

I'm ever so tempted, even though I already own a decent number of "(dark) jolly pirate (fantasy)" materials:

Arrgh! Thar Be Zombies
Blood Tide: Black Sails and Dark Rituals
Broken Compass - Season 2 Jolly Roger
Buccaneers & Bilge Rats
Pirates & Dragons: Curious Creatures of the Dragon Isles
Pirates & Dragons Core Rulebook
Privateers and Pirates

I bought it not too long after it came out and it still gets regular use when I am plotting game sessions. I will likely back this when it launches.

You know what I'm a sucker for (other than busty redheads)? Random tables.

Now I've seen a lot of chaff come through my KS recommendations, but when I saw a project that has a bunch of cool inspiration-muse tables for SF settings, it drew me in like a siren song (of a busty redheaded siren):

You know what I'm a sucker for (other than busty redheads)? Random tables.
Oh, do you happen to know any cool resources for non-fantasy genres? I'm particularly interested in post-apocalyptic, pulp adventure and western. Adding horror/supernatural elements is optional.

Oh, do you happen to know any cool resources for non-fantasy genres? I'm particularly interested in post-apocalyptic, pulp adventure and western. Adding horror/supernatural elements is optional.
I'm quite sure someone will be along in a moment to suggest a game that does all those things and makes julienne fries.

You may know of this already but the tables in Kevin Crawford's Other Dust would be a big help for post-apocalyptic campaigns, especially those with a focus on sandbox play. I imagine you could reskin them for western play without much effort.

I see that horror/supernatural is optional, but Crawford's excellent Silent Legions is an excellent companion for any game that wants to include a tinge of cosmic horror (or non-cosmic, as the generators could be used for a variety of horror genres) with an emphasis on building your own Mythos.

You may know of this already but the tables in Kevin Crawford's Other Dust would be a big help for post-apocalyptic campaigns, especially those with a focus on sandbox play. I imagine you could reskin them for western play without much effort.

I see that horror/supernatural is optional, but Crawford's excellent Silent Legions is an excellent companion for any game that wants to include a tinge of cosmic horror (or non-cosmic, as the generators could be used for a variety of horror genres) with an emphasis on building your own Mythos.
The Kevin Crawford Inquisition approves this post.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back