Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
These look fun. I'm kind of on the fence. Not sure if I should go for hardcovers and I'm also in doubt about adding the so-called playkit to my pledge. Anybody else here back this yet?

These look fun. I'm kind of on the fence. Not sure if I should go for hardcovers and I'm also in doubt about adding the so-called playkit to my pledge. Anybody else here back this yet?

I grabbed the early bird just so I could but haven't taken the time to really explore the options. I don't think the playerkit is necessary - you could pen and paper it, just like buying character sheets.

I grabbed the early bird just so I could but haven't taken the time to really explore the options. I don't think the playerkit is necessary - you could pen and paper it, just like buying character sheets.
It seems to include a map of Kingsport...

Bones 5 is in the last few hours and there are lots of interesting expansion packs available if people want less usual stuff like steampunk or post apocalyptic...

I went in for hardcovers of both books, but no playerkit. I was told the pdf includes the playerkit materials and IIRC the pdf files are now included with all pledge levels.

Talking about a Mongoose Traveller kickstarter because I like the concept and the deal is great. If you don't like Mongoose Traveller or kickstarter that is basically all I'm talking about. Just a heads up.

This Mongoose Traveller kickstarter is going to be a good deal and introduce a couple decades (in game) sandbox/adventure of exploration for Traveller well past the Great Rift. I don't share every kickstarter I stumble across but I've been waiting for something epic like this to come along and the price is great.

The price is around $91 for a boxed set and two hardcovers in stretch goals so far with two more hardcovers likely to be added by the end. I was concerned about the price since if it funds with a boxed set and four hardcovers it doesn't seem like the cost will cover it. I asked about it and received this response:

Matthew SprangeCreatorabout 6 hours ago
I understand your concerns - however, this Kickstarter was built from the ground up to do exactly this, as the size of the campaign is really the point of it.

In a nutshell, we had already commissioned Martin to do the box set and four hardbacks before the Kickstarter had even begun. Furthermore, we are working with a printers we have used for nearly two decades and managed to get favourable rates for the hardbacks (they bit back on the Commemorative Pack, but thems the breaks!).

Basically, we have planned for this from the start in order to give you everything you pledge for. If things get a bit 'too much', we will let you know and put a cap on the stretch goals - just as we did with JTAS, limiting it to six volumes.

Hope that helps!

By comparision, the Pirates of Drinax campaign is three hardcovers and a poster map for $99. This boxed set has 4 hardcovers as possible stretch goals (two already down) plus:

Deepnight Legacy - a 32 page adventure that introduces the Travellers to their mammoth task.
Campaign Guide - a 104 page book that lays out the immense scope of the campaign.
Referee's Handbook - a 96 page book that guides the referee gently through the herculean task of running the campaign.
Terminus Point - a 64 page adventure into the most distant and fantastical realms that forms the great finale of the Deepnight Revelation campaign!
A giant poster map featuring deck plans of the Deepnight Endeavour, along with crew departments, while the reverse has a huge scale map depicting the expected route of the journey along the Great Rift and known points of interest.
A deck of cards, covering Mission Briefings, Standing Orders, and Mission Roles.

Are you sure they are hardcovers? If it’s like the previous box sets, they are usually soft overs, albeit quite nice ones. They used hardcovers for Drinax, but that was a slipcase rather than a box set.

Are you sure they are hardcovers? If it’s like the previous box sets, they are usually soft overs, albeit quite nice ones. They used hardcovers for Drinax, but that was a slipcase rather than a box set.

The books in the box are softcover. But the unlocked stretch goals add two hardcovers with more to come. Matthew planned a box with softcover books, cards, and map along with four hardcover books that can be unlocked and two have already.

That's why it is such a deal. Matthew calls it as four hardcovers in the above quote, And from kickstarter:

The Riftsedge Transit: We have added a new hardback book detailing the first leg of the mission!
The Near Side of Yonder: A hardback covering a region of 15 sectors directly spinward of Terra will be unlocked at £40,000, in which the Travellers encounter three starfaring races which stand on the brink of war.
The Crossing: A new hardback book that will see the Travellers searching for a way across the bulge where the Great Rift starts to curve rimward will be unlocked at £50,000.

Will they drop it after three days like they did with the miniatures game?

So this is happening:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/vaesen-nordic-horror-roleplaying

Another game from the makers of Tales from the Loop fame, again based on the works of a talented artist that I envy.

Looks like a compelling setting and I'm loving real world mythology FAR more than Forgotten Realms bog-standard fantasy tropes.

Although I fear that this, too, will just end up being a gorgeous, overpriced coffee table book for me...

8f0eead315458bb756f9aa28cf274ced_original.jpg

24b10fcf182743f80c2438bfe90cae16_original.jpg

3f80d03f62b3541ecc97a133f48216e0_original.jpg

8773032ecc0e7cbb5c9158c9853cb895_original.jpg

Another game from the makers of Tales from the Loop fame, again based on the works of a talented artist that I envy.

Looks like a compelling setting and I'm loving real world mythology FAR more than Forgotten Realms bog-standard fantasy tropes.

Although I fear that this, too, will just end up being a gorgeous, overpriced coffee table book for me...

Wow. I love the art. But I'm also hesitant. The probability of me playing it if I got it would be ~1%.

Wow. I love the art. But I'm also hesitant. The probability of me playing it if I got it would be ~1%.

Same! But I’m hoping I can use it as a resource for other games. What a setting!

Ack 100$ CAD. I might chicken out. I can get games from this publisher at half that price here... damn it

edit: 100 CAD with shipping. Possibly more. I'll wait and see what the CMON time machine lets me purchase from Zombicide Black Plague... if any scraps will be left!!

The Corebook is USD52 including shipping to Canada?

Though Vaesen looks great, it will be the first Free League KS I won’t back. I just don’t have a need for a 19th Century Horror RPG, especially without a compelling concept beyond folklore.

I would also want it to run one shot games but it would complete with Kult, Aliens, Things from the Flood, and FL’s upcoming Cthulhu game and it would likely be picked last.

The Corebook is USD52 including shipping to Canada?
Ah oops I either selected the wrong pledge or a pledge for just the book without other items wasn’t available at the time. Probably the former.
So it will be more like 60$CAD (with shipping), which is comparable to the store price.

Why did they drop the minis game. Too little response to too high fixed costs I suppose.

Why did they drop the minis game. Too little response to too high fixed costs I suppose.
Basically, yes. They only had the full box game on offer, which had an expensive buy in price. They shelved it when it became clear that there were not enough backers. There is still plans to return to the idea, but I'd hope that they include some options for buying smaller sets of miniatures and/or floor decks.

Ack 100$ CAD. I might chicken out. I can get games from this publisher at half that price here... damn it

edit: 100 CAD with shipping. Possibly more. I'll wait and see what the CMON time machine lets me purchase from Zombicide Black Plague... if any scraps will be left!!

Wait for it and it will be eventually available for $65-75 on Amazon or instore.

\
So this is happening:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/vaesen-nordic-horror-roleplaying

View attachment 13352

View attachment 13353

View attachment 13354

View attachment 13355
Steampunk Grimm?

Not by any means a terrible idea

Never played Deadlands: Lost Colony. Any fans here? Interested in hearing about the setting and actual play experience.

I own the Classic stuff but never ran it. For this edition, they have supposedly retooled it to give PCs a bit more to do. They had a great "finale" adventure for Lost Colony in which the PCs could finally weaken and kill the Reckoners. The Plot Point Campaign included in this book is apparently a redux of that.

Really looking forward to Lost Colony. Our biggest game is a campaign that has spanned Deadlands, Noir and Hell on Earth. I was hoping for a campaign based around killing the Reckoners, nice way to tie it all up.

So this is happening:

View attachment 13352

View attachment 13353

View attachment 13354

View attachment 13355
I'm tempted. So far I "only" backed all four Mutant: Year Zero core books from Free League.

Coriolis did not appeal to me because of the "prayers", the setting in Tales from the Loop feels too much like isolated instances of future tech tagged onto the 1980s, and I am not particularly interested in Forbidden Lands either. This, however, seems more interesting than any of those, and a beautiful book at that. I need to look into the rules in more detail before I decide to back it.

So this is happening:

View attachment 13352

View attachment 13353

View attachment 13354

View attachment 13355
I'm tempted, as I backed Forbidden Lands, and it turned out great.

However I don't think I need Vaesen, I have these books on Nordic folklore illustrated by the same artist Johan Egerkrans
(https://grimfrost.com/collections/books/products/norse-gods-vaesen-the-undead-set)
and I can easily run something like this with BRP/Call of Cthulhu, just using the folklore instead of the Mythos.

Despite this, the artwork looks absolutely gorgeous

Last edited:
Not much info on the designers which gives me pause.

New Comet Games are the ones that made Devil's Swamp. Eight solid scenarios for Call of Cthulhu that can be played as stand alone or as a kinda loose campaign, fun, good amount of action, and a diverse collection of monsters. Devil's Swamp is based on the real world Bridgewater Triangle which has all sorts of high strangeness (UFOS, Bigfoots, and the list gets stranger from there) attached to it. As a gamer who enjoys High strangeness games and as somebody who really enjoys researching the details of historical settings on the east coast I'm happy with both parts. As to whether this new project is on the same level as Devil's Swamp? I couldn't say but of the 3rd party Call of Cthulhu publishers I'd rank them quite highly.

Chris McDowell of the excellent Into the Odd OSR ruleset has just launched his KS for Electric Bastionland. Looks excellent but also a bit rich for my blood right now, may wait for its legit release.

Not much info on the designers which gives me pause.

I have some of the Call of Cthulhu stuff Ben Burns / New Comet Games has put out. I really like them. I see Mr. Burns at Texas conventions all the time, and have chit-chatted with him a lot. He has a lot of experience doing Kickstarters of various sorts and is very professional. If you are interested in the product, I wouldn't hesitate to back it.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back