Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I remember the original version of Adventure. The art and design did a really good job of capturing the flavour of the Pulps like Doc Savage. I seem to recall it was of an atypical size for gamebooks too - 6 x 9? Much different than other White Wolf products on the shelf in thoose days. I can't remember the system itself though - was it just a variation of White Wolf's Storyteller system? If so, that may be why it never stuck in my mind.
I believe so. I got the Aeon book in the series, the last one, and it was a variation of their original dice pool system.

View attachment 28763

The original version of Storyteller Adventure! was very Pulp Adventure; quite different from the edgy gloom of the WoD stuff.
There was also a D20 OGL version of it as well, which looked like it hit the same beats as the Storyteller version

Adventure! was really good, I think it was only superceeded by the Thrilling Tales books in regards to the pulp adventure rpg genre.
I really liked the original version, it felt very much like Indy Jones or The Mummy films

It was a stand-alone digest-sized core book with all the rules contained in it.
It was part of the Aeon Trinity series, but that was easily ignored - we just played it without even mentioning those connections.

These days I tend to use Fate Core as my pulp adventure rpg, and pull inspiration from Spirit Of The Century, Thrilling Tales, and the original Adventure!.

The new version of Adventure! which is currently being crowd-funded looks much more connected in with the Trinity Continum meta-story, and you have to have the other Trinity Continum core book to use it.
It also has a very different feel to it. Despite the 1930s era of the setting, it kinda feels more modern in presentation, and for me that doesn't capture the classic pulpy flavour that I get when reading the original version.

The original Storyteller game mechanics are probably cleaned up a bit into the Storypath system now, but I think I preferred the art directrion of the original version. I also I liked the fact that the original had almost no emphasis on connection with the Abberant and Trinity books.

The new version is probably still bound to be very good in other ways - although I doubt I will end up backing it.

The old version of Adventure was related to the Aberrant and Trinity settings also, if you kept up with the Meta.

They were going for a Wildstorms kind of feel, i.e. the way that Planetary, The Authority and Stormwatch were connected. I dug it, and it was one of the reasons that I even bothered trying to use their stuff even though I hated Storyteller.

I think the powers angle is supposed to me more pulp in nature rather than 4-color, which I don't have a problem with.

And when they say that you have to have the Trinity Continuum core book- the other three (Aberrant, Trinity, and Adventure) don't have the basic rules in them. In the others, they repeated the same rules all three times, so much of what you were buying was repeats from the other. In this iteration, the basic rules are just that- the world books add most of the flavor.

Last edited:
The old version of Adventure was related to the Aberrant and Trinity settings also, if you kept up with the Meta.

They were going for a Wildstorms kind of feel, i.e. the way that Planetary, The Authority and Stormwatch were connected. I dug it, and it was one of the reasons that I even bothered trying to use their stuff even though I hated Storyteller.

I think the powers angle is supposed to me more pulp in nature rather than 4-color, which I don't have a problem with.

And when they say that you have to have the Trinity Continuum core book- the other three (Aberrant, Trinity, and Adventure) don't have the basic rules in them. In the others, they repeated the same rules all three times, so much of what you were buying was repeats from the other. In this iteration, the basic rules are just that- the world books add most of the flavor.
I prefer how I didn't need a core book in the previous editions, because the Adventure!, Aberrant, & Trinity digest books were completely self-contained in terms of games mechanics. This version is a resource supplement to be added to the recent Trinity Continum core book.

Yeah the three original books were definately all connected with a meta-story, but this was very easily overlooked in the original Adventure! as it was more of an in-setting rationale for the explosion in pulp abilities and weird science etc, one that didn't need explaining unless you wanted to connect all the games.

I'm not so sure in this version, I have a feeling that connection is emphasised much more.
Not a dealbreaker however, it is just how the new line is structured.
I think the Knacks in this version will still be pulp level talents as opposed to super-abilities - with Mentalism and Weird Science blurring those lines at times, just like in the original version. I don't see them changing that too much.

I can't see myself supporting this, I just prefer the flavour of the original b&w book - but for those that missed it the first time then the setting is more or less back.

I wish it all the best :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Advertises itself as an "Epic choose-your-own-adventure sye gamebook in a sandbox setting"; which made me chuckle ust a bit considering our recent conversations regarding what counts as a Sandbox, but I do love me some gamebooks, especialy the really ambitious ones like the Fabled Lands series

Got my backer pdf copies of Beta Red and Shiver this week. Now I need to make time to skim through them

Yeah, Mythic Table is one I've been trying, and it's decent. I'm in on it.

First of the Kingdoms of Harn kickstarter is up.

If you don't have any Harn stuff, $1 gets you the main two world overview books. It's a good deal especially since they normally way overcharge for them (Drivethru has HarnWorld for $27.98 and HarnDex for $49.98!!!!).

The Kickstarter for the new edition of Blue Planet just kicked off. Blue Planet: Recontact. I have a soft spot for the game, even if I've never actually played it. Is it the water? Is it dolphins? I dunno, but anyways... More books for the book shelf!

I've been trying to ease off on the Kickstarters, but I had to pledge on BP: Recontact. I know the setting and presentation are going to be terrific; I need to reread their primer to determine whether a revised Synergy system is going to work for me.

BP's maybe the best hard sci-fi (hell, practically the best overall scifi) setting that I've encountered over the decades. Pretty excited to see it return.

I've been trying to ease off on the Kickstarters, but I had to pledge on BP: Recontact. I know the setting and presentation are going to be terrific; I need to reread their primer to determine whether a revised Synergy system is going to work for me.

BP's maybe the best hard sci-fi (hell, practically the best overall scifi) setting that I've encountered over the decades. Pretty excited to see it return.
But if the system isn't awesome why rebuy the fluff? I have the 1st edition. Do I need more?

But if the system isn't awesome why rebuy the fluff? I have the 1st edition. Do I need more?
Revised Synergy may be awesome. I just haven't looked at it closely enough to judge it. I'm also a dyed-in-the-wool Traveller/Cepheus Engine fan, so it takes me some effort to run Scifi with something else.

IMO, 1E's system was terrible; 2E's (original Synergy) was OK but flaky in areas. It looks like 3E is pared down and improved.

I can't answer whether you'll need Recontact. It looks to be a lot shinier and more attractive on the surface. They're also supposed to be adding more content:

• An extensive evolution of the core mechanics, taking advantage of two decades of RPG development. The new system can be found here in our free, 80+ page Recontact primer.

• All new, full-color artwork bringing the waterworld to life in stunning, evocative imagery.

• Full-color world and regional maps, including submarine geography, redesigned and rendered by professional cartographer and game designer Mark Richardson (Green Hat Design).

• A series of campaign archetypes to help moderators jumpstart their games in the vast adventure space of Poseidon (see below).

• Updated speculative technologies.

• New sociopolitical systems, organizations, institutions and conflicts.

• New locations, settlements and facilities.

If that stuff is important to you, it may be worth your time. (I'm not really a great Sell me on .... person)

If you don't have any Harn stuff, $1 gets you the main two world overview books. It's a good deal especially since they normally way overcharge for them (Drivethru has HarnWorld for $27.98 and HarnDex for $49.98!!!!).

Hmmmm. Anyone who’s ever even remotely thought about maybe kinda glancing at Harn should spend the dollar. :shade:

As for the hardback...one of the things I love about Harn is the cardstock 3-ring binder form they come in. I don’t know if I’d like the hardback, especially if it’s not sewn.

Going to summon robertsconley robertsconley maybe he got a preview copy. If he didn’t, that’s a damn shame, he’s sold more people on giving Harn a shot than anybody I think. He’s been doing it for at least 13 years.

Last edited:
Revised Synergy may be awesome. I just haven't looked at it closely enough to judge it. I'm also a dyed-in-the-wool Traveller/Cepheus Engine fan, so it takes me some effort to run Scifi with something else.

IMO, 1E's system was terrible; 2E's (original Synergy) was OK but flaky in areas. It looks like 3E is pared down and improved.

I can't answer whether you'll need Recontact. It looks to be a lot shinier and more attractive on the surface. They're also supposed to be adding more content:

If that stuff is important to you, it may be worth your time. (I'm not really a great Sell me on .... person)
Seems like the $100 is the level to get here. Both hardbound books, plus the whole back catalog on pdf.

I backed The One Ring, and Worlds without Number recently - the latter of which I just ordered a POD copy from DriveThruRPG.

Not that I have the time or people to play with anyway!!

I'm in on it because they give you all the material in PDF and I wanted that. I'd like to have the dead tree version, but yeah... these Kickstarters are getting really expensive for paper.

Isn't Harndex included in HarnMaster? I find it harder and harder to figure out what is melded/included with or not included. I dislike getting something I might already have.

MST3K is Kickstarting their new season as a stream/download from their own site. Just trying to decide what level I want to back it at.

Let's Make More MST3K & Build THE GIZMOPLEX!, via @Kickstarter

Legendary Adventures KS all SGs unlocked.jpg

All the epic 5e DnD stretch goals.jpg

All of these will be made available for free for everyone who pledges for a PDF or hardcover of Legendary Adventures because the project has passed $25,000 in funding, yet it's not over! In a couple of hours the funding period ends and one last stretch goal remains: more cities.

More cities graphic.png

⚔️MORE FINAL GOAL: 8 More Sentient Cities! ($28,000)

When this stretch goal is reached the Dismantling Cities supplement expands to a total of 20 sentient cities for PCs to destroy, increasing the range of materials inside to include challenges for 27th level adventurers.

That $12 for a PDF or $30 for a hardcover and PDF now includes an epic adventure path sooooooo if you were on the fence before, consider jumping on over. :grin:

PS: Ends at 5PM EST today so you've got about 4 hours left to do it!

A new edition of the Sentinels of the Multiverse card game is up on Kickstarter.

There's also yet another new virtual tabletop on Kickstarter, Mythic Table. At least this one is open source.

Tomorrow is the last day for Sentinels of the Multiverse.

On the other hand, things aren’t looking great for Mythic Table as it’s Kickstarter campaign has stalled.

I figured this might be of interest to some here. Our current Cthulhu GM, who is also a sailor by profession, already caved in and went for the full $110 pledge level. I'm going to pass but it definitely looks cool.

This UK game looks cool, a sf space western neo-noir game with nice art.

Orbital Blues, via @Kickstarter

Hellboy expansion KS is live but no option to add the base game to your pledge soon not so useful for me.

A Bebop game basically! Awesome! :heart:

Yep, listed as an inspiration. Apparently there is a heavy 'Elmore Leonard in space' feel as well which sounds awesome to me.

Fear of a Black Dragon reviews their sample adventure here:

So 3 days left on the Hellboy Board game expansion Kickstarter. Realized I''d not pimped it on here yet...

It's a pretty incredible deal. There's only one reward tier, for "The Big Box of Doom"

179314297_10157978930201434_6847833793854043924_n.jpg

Like the Box of Evil from the original campaign, the Big Box of Evil is a KS exclusive big box packaging of 4 game expansions, which will be sold individually in retail. The retail cost of individual game expansions is typically £49.99

Capture.PNG

For this campaign, the Big Box of Doom is being offered for only £79.99.

The four expansions include:

01.png02.png03.png05.png

Also included is a new dice game that revolves around the proprietary dice used in the board game:

36c632a97f8c6c3428507f3a8c00d24b_original.png

Considering a dice booster for the game retails at £14.99...

Capture1.PNG

....this essentially means, placing no value on dice game, essentially £215 worth of product ($300 usd) for £80 ($110), not including stretch goals...

d0f4a97023790aeccabd544d9451901c_original.png

So 3 days left on the Hellboy Board game expansion Kickstarter. Realized I''d not pimped it on here yet...

It's a pretty incredible deal. There's only one reward tier, for "The Big Box of Doom"

View attachment 30441

Like the Box of Evil from the original campaign, the Big Box of Evil is a KS exclusive big box packaging of 4 game expansions, which will be sold individually in retail. The retail cost of individual game expansions is typically £49.99

View attachment 30442

For this campaign, the Big Box of Doom is being offered for only £79.99.

The four expansions include:

View attachment 30443View attachment 30444View attachment 30445View attachment 30446

Also included is a new dice game that revolves around the proprietary dice used in the board game:

View attachment 30447

Considering a dice booster for the game retails at £14.99...

View attachment 30448

....this essentially means, placing no value on dice game, essentially £215 worth of product ($300 usd) for £80 ($110), not including stretch goals...

View attachment 30449

Is there a way to add the base game to the pledge?

Is the game good?

Is there a way to add the base game to the pledge?

Yeah, the base game, previously released expansions, and the limited resin special releases will all be available to add in the pledge manager. But you only need the base game to run any of the new expansions.

Is the game good?

Quite. Imagine a cross between Arkham Horror and a co-op dungeon crawler, with numerous modular cases where you can switch out a variety of monsters with their own unique behaviours determined by individual AI decks. This combined with the BPRD archives expansion, which provides rules for writing your own cases (and the many fan-created cases thereof available on BGG), means it has near-infinate replayability. And the minis are swell.

Nowhereville is a little "closed environment" game. I like similar ideas in the past like Cthulhu City and A|State. Not too sure about the system yet, be a once over of the character sheet looks like it has elements of PbtA style playbooks and Fate style consequences.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back