Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I already own the original edition, but they had me at hardcover and ribbons. I'm just waiting for their estimated shipping costs to see if I will keep backing this or wait until it hits the stores.

I already own the original edition, but they had me at hardcover and ribbons. I'm just waiting for their estimated shipping costs to see if I will keep backing this or wait until it hits the stores.

Charles Ferguson-Avery, who designed this, does good work and his artstyle is cool as well.

Charles Ferguson-Avery, who designed this, does good work and his artstyle is cool as well.
I´m looking to pick up his Zine The Vast in the Dark in print somehow, but it´s probably cheaper to just get the pdf nicely printed and stapled locally. I was going to back the Kickstarter but ended up skipping it for some reason I can´t quite recall.

Last edited:
Anyone backing this? I have some of the decks given to me as christmas gifts but I'm not sure I want to get more. Thoughts?

What do you think of the decks you already have?
They're ok. I was given the Arcane Academy deck which is fine but seems oddly targeted to a party of wizards as I recall.

I´m looking to pick up his Zine The Vast in the Dark in print somehow, but it´s probably cheaper to just get the pdf nicely printed and stapled locally. I was going to back the Kickstarter but ended up skipping it for some reason I can´t quite recall.
I have it in PDF, it's great.

I couldn't help myself and went full-in again. This adds Pirates and Jules Verne style gentlemen-explorers to the Broken Compass options.

Last edited:
There's going to be a KS for a third edition of AS&SH. What I've read about it certainly sounds good. I'm probably in!

AS&SH Discussion Forum said:
This list is intended to provide you with a decent idea on what is different about the Third Edition of HYPERBOREA. This list is not intended to be exhaustive; rather, it's a sort of highlights list of what is being changed. I plan to update this post as time allows. I won't for example, list things like a spell's range changed from 30 feet to 60 feet. This list is intended to show the more significant alterations; the Cliffs Notes version, if you would.

Physical Changes
- Two hardback set (same Smyth sewn binding, high quality paper)
- Possibly a slipcase as an add-on. It's being quoted for.
- Map reworked by Glynn Seal and to be presented in atlas format and special poster version.
- New layout, fonts, etc.
- Indexes in both books.

Branding
- Simplifying the branding and naming to HYPERBOREA, but "Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea" remains part of the scheme and is shown as a back cover subtitle.

People
- The game has been revised by the author.
- Editing by George Sedgwick.
- New cover art painted by Charles Lang (both books).
- Interior colour plates by Charles Lang, David Miller, Peter Mullen, and Val Semeiks (with Daisey Bingham)
- 26 new character illustrations by Diogo Nogueira.
- Chapter frame art by Del Teigeler.
- Gynn Seal has recoloured the map.
- More to be announced!

Content
- Cataphract new ability: shield sacrifice.
- Huntsman new ability: harvest venom.
- Paladin: Introduction of fell paladin, LE version of paladin. Also, cleric scroll reading ability at 7th level. High wisdom now grants bonus spells.
- Ranger now has scroll reading ability at 7th level. High wisdom now grants bonus druid spells cast per day, high intelligence grants bonus magician spells cast per day.
- Illusionist new ability: coloured globe.
- Witch brew decoction ability simplified and expanded. Also, certain detection spells can be cast through familiar.
- Monk has a decent overhaul to the entire class. It is the most changed class for 3E.
- Shaman new ability: harvest venom. Also, spells per day slightly improved.
- Assassin new ability: harvest venom.
- Bard spells per day slightly improved.
- Scout new abilities: disguise (like assassin) and run (like monk).
- 12 new playable character races (Anglo-Saxon, Carolingian Frank, Esquimaux-Ixian, Greek, Lapp, Lemurian, Moor, Mu, Oon, Roman, Tlingit, Yakut).
- Languages: More available languages available.
- Several new spells.
- Sorcerer types can learn a known spell from another caster type’s spell book, so long as it is on their list of learnable spells. For example, an illusionist can copy an invisibility spell from a magician’s spell book, but he can’t copy a magic missile spell, because that contains proprietary language. However, we separate thaumaturgical sorcery from ecclesiastical sorcery. So, a druid can copy a detect magic spell from a cleric’s prayer book, but he can’t do the same from a witch’s spell book.
- Characters need not memorize the regular spell or its reversed form; rather, they can decide at the last moment to invert the incantation and thus cast its reversible form. We have so many examples of spells in which the caster is deciding which version of the spell is being cast, and I realize resource management is part of the allure of a game like this, but I don’t see why a cleric can’t elect to use cause moderate wounds on a whim instead of cure moderate wounds, and so forth.
- Scroll-using characters can now invoke a scroll that is on their spell list, as long as it was not created by one who practices the opposite form of magic, which we are defining as thaumaturgic sorcery (magicians and subclasses) and ecclesiastic sorcery (clerics and druids), so a magician can indeed use a fireball scroll created by a pyromancer, and vice versa.
- Streamlined combat system (no more phases).
- New monsters.
- New magic items.
- And more!

All of the above shows you why it is a "3E" yet the game remains backwards compatible. I'll be revealing more in the coming weeks. Thanks for your interest!

- Jeffrey Talanian

Last edited:
There's going to be a KS for a third edition of AS&SH. What I've read about it certainly sounds good. I'm probably in!

It's a bit unusual for the author to change the gamr's name this late in the match, so I hop that doesn't confuse people.

I'm not sure that I'll ever run AS&SH, but the vibe of the Thurian/Hyborian age flavour is very well done, and the art direction is superb :thumbsup:

Last edited:
It's a bit unusual for the author to change the gamr's name this late in the match, so I hop that doesn't confuse people.

I'm not sure that I'll ever run AS&SH, but the vibe of the Thurian/Hyborian age flavour is very well done, and the art direction is superb :thumbsup:
Honestly I think it's a bad choice. Hyperborea is pretty well known as a continent. It's also included in so many OSR style games so I can only guess that a search for Hyperborea RPG is going to be really confusing.

This popped up as a suggestion when I was doing another kick starter and it looked interesting. Popped in here to see if anyone was familiar with it, so I'll take this as a recommendation.

Honestly I think it's a bad choice. Hyperborea is pretty well known as a continent. It's also included in so many OSR style games so I can only guess that a search for Hyperborea RPG is going to be really confusing.
I can live with it, but I think people are still going to address it as AS&SH 3E anyway. They did state they will keep the full name as a sub title.

I'm not sure that I'll ever run AS&SH, but the vibe of the Thurian/Hyborian age flavour is very well done, and the art direction is superb
I also like the classes a lot. Very flavorfull. And the art direction is going to kick even more ass now that all the class illustrations are being redone, so none of those odd-looking attempts at exaggerated perspectives anymore. IMHO YMMV

I don't think it came up in this thread though there was a post about a Q&A with the authors.

Court of Blades is in the last 48 hours, is a courtly intrigue RPG based on the Forged in the Dark mechanics. As I have has some good political intrigue in Scum & Villainy, I think it could work.

I don't think it came up in this thread though there was a post about a Q&A with the authors.

Court of Blades is in the last 48 hours, is a courtly intrigue RPG based on the Forged in the Dark mechanics. As I have has some good political intrigue in Scum & Villainy, I think it could work.

I backed this. I'm unfamiliar with Forged in the Dark games but I think there's a dearth of rpgs specifically designed for courtly intrigue. They don't list Martha Wells as an influence, as far as I can see, but the implied setting of the city of Ilrien sure sounds a lot like Ile-Rien, the setting of "The Death of the Necromancer" which I absolutely loved as a kid and has a similar vibe in some respects. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

I’ll definitely be all in on this one. I love this version of AD&D and Jeff is a class act.
I already own the 2E tome, but yes, I'm going to back the shit out of 3E as well. I never could get a hold of the AS&SH GM screen for 2E, but I think I'll just stop trying. I'll just wait and see if there's going to be a 3E screen, maybe as part of the Kickstarter. Here's hoping.

The Last Pitch

The Kickstarter for Delvers to Grow is ending at 9 pm Central Time on Tuesday, May 25. It has funded, and the next steps are stretch goals for more included content with backer pledges. Delvers to Grow offers character generation for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG with two important features:
  • It covers lower power levels than the near-epic characters provided in the Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set: If you like "zero to hero" play, this is your book
  • It enables getting to the table fast. It usually takes people 5 to 15 minutes from opening the book to "ready to start play."
  • It includes an adventure tuned for the power levels covered in the books. Make characters, start play. Right then.
It is, and I say this without hesitation, the greatest recruiting tool for Powered by GURPS games like the Dungeon Fantasy RPG that has ever been created.

One blind-tester took it to their favorite local game store, and ran an amazing pick-up game on the fly.

With the Dungeon Fantasy RPG. He was asked back to run more.

If you've wanted to try a Powered by GURPS game, if you love the Dungeon Fantasy RPG but can't get folks to make characters because it takes too long, if you prefer starting as a lower-tier delver and working your way up to epic during play...Delvers to Grow is the book for you.

Delvers Final Spread Example.png
Loadouts.png

This popped up as a suggestion when I was doing another kick starter and it looked interesting. Popped in here to see if anyone was familiar with it, so I'll take this as a recommendation.
It's not just good, it's great. Even just the bestiary is worth the price of admission. I use most of the book as an add-on to my Black Hack 2E game.

It's very cool, but the shipping cost made me cancel my pledge. Being in Europe, I will pick it up from a gamestore once it's available.

I'm in on The Stennard Courier Vol. I and added-on a couple of Breaker Press' other zines. Their stuff looks really fun and useful.

Still on the fence about The Mummy Bride for DCC. It looks pretty cool and I love the B-movie jungle horror vibe, but I'm not sure if it's wise to already get a sandbox adventure intended for level 3 characters when I've not even properly read through the DCC core rules. Seems like it would be a better idea to invest in some level 0 and 1 scenarios.

Mummy Bride also seems like it would be fitting for AS&SH. How easy would it be to convert something from DCC to AS&SH?

Last edited:
So I’ve heard good things about Exalted’s setting but not the system. Enter Exalted: Essence a more streamlined alternative...

I’m keeping my eye on it for now.

Still on the fence about The Mummy Bride for DCC. It looks pretty cool and I love the B-movie jungle horror vibe, but I'm not sure if it's wise to already get a sandbox adventure intended for level 3 characters when I've not even properly read through the DCC core rules. Seems like it would be a better idea to invest in some level 0 and 1 scenarios.

Mummy Bride also seems like it would be fitting for AS&SH. How easy would it be to convert something from DCC to AS&SH?
I see the Mummy Bride is already available for 5E. Even though the DCC version will be significantly adapted, is anyone here familiar with it?

So I’ve heard good things about Exalted’s setting but not the system. Enter Exalted: Essence a more streamlined alternative...

I’m keeping my eye on it for now.

I'm going to join at the $5 level and see what the previews are like.

Magic items should never be boring or difficult. And, luckily, they no longer have to be!

Wanderer's Guide to Merchants & Magic is a new 5e sourcebook designed to make trading with magic items easy for the GM and fun for the PCs that just launched on Kickstarter

Adventurers love magic items and will eventually want to buy, sell, and trade magic items, but making the exchange of valuable treasure into the magical experience it deserves to be is a hard task. And it’s not made easier by the fact that the prices for magic items provided by the official 5E rules don’t always make sense (e.g. a single potion of flying is worth AT LEAST five pairs of winged boots per the official rules!)

Letting PCs shop for magic items shouldn’t have to mean doing hours of tedious preparation just to figure out what's for sale and for how much – or resigning yourself to reduce the exchange to a boring downtime activity!

Wanderer’s Guide to Merchants & Magic changes that by providing:

· New Rules & Guidelines for trading and pricing magic items, including price lists for the most popular 5E items.
· 20 Magic Shops with flavorful descriptions and exotic inventories that can be inserted into any 5E campaign.
· 100 Magic Items with exciting mechanics and original artwork – and printable item card handouts.
· Tools & Roll Tables to create your own magic merchants complete with names, descriptions, and inventories in a matter of seconds.

Visit our Kickstarter page to get a copy of the book and grab a FREE sample while you’re at it!

I backed this, but really I just want to get my hands on Old School Monsters as an add-on. It's basically OG D&D monsters ported to TFT stats. Because I still love some D&D modules, even if I don't necessarily dig the ruleset.

I see the Mummy Bride is already available for 5E. Even though the DCC version will be significantly adapted, is anyone here familiar with it?
I have it, but only skimmed over it. Short form is it is okay, and you’d probably like it. My big beef is that it has something that’s often found in D&D that’s a big turn-off to me, but I’ve never met anyone who had the same hang-up. It isn’t something that I expected given the description, so that might be a turn-off for you.

i’ll see if I have it on the hard drive og the computer I have with me at the moment. If so I’ll read through it and report back.

I backed this, but really I just want to get my hands on Old School Monsters as an add-on. It's basically OG D&D monsters ported to TFT stats. Because I still love some D&D modules, even if I don't necessarily dig the ruleset.

I was going to back it but noted that they aren't including PDF's along with the physical product. Which I found odd since SJG's tends to include them or at least be more clear.

I wasn't even interested in this until you mentioned the Old School Monsters which I didn't see as an add on until you mentioned it.

Ralph Dula Ralph Dula really puzzled now...
I have that effect on people.

I also have to walk back my complaint. Reading through the adventure from start to finish, what I thought was an integral part of the adventure is an add-on, one of several at the end if the DM wants to run scenarios around the main adventuring area.

The majority of the module really sticks to the idea of you going into the jungle to a lost city, keeping with the South- and Central-American horror flavor you’d expect. The location descriptions and creatures are thematic. Often they’re just existing creatures with altered descriptions, but new monsters are present as well. The art is gorgeous, and the maps are clear while retaining an old-school style.

Another nice thing is an effort is made at continuity, but you have to read to know it. One opening given may leave you wondering “How would anyone know that?” But the rumor table explains it.

It could have used a bit more editing, with a word salad early on, and some references to where an item is useful that are incomplete. There’s also a few places where the author didn’t consider PCs might be of good alignment, and that such characters might have issues with two encounters.

Also, there’s a “trap” with a unique monster, and it not having an XP value is annoying. Finally, the ending is a “Ka-Screw-U” to the players, but also easily changed by a DM who doesn’t want his players to revolt.

The tone is rather tongue-in-cheek, while still being a deadly adventure. It has a number of puns and references for the DM, though they rarely seep into the player-facing side of the adventure. My experience with DCC has found them more serious than this, so YMMV and all that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back