Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I got a notification that there is to be a Mothership boxed set Kickstarter, but I can’t locate it in a shareable form for here. Was there a Twitter announcement that I (probably) missed or something?
I did sign up for notifications from Kickstarter on it. I think I deleted the email I got because I can’t find that now. Oh well, I’m sure there’s someone who can post the announcement?

I did sign up for notifications from Kickstarter on it. I think I deleted the email I got because I can’t find that now. Oh well, I’m sure there’s someone who can post the announcement?

All I have seen was an announcement on the Mothership discord with a link to the prelaunch page - not much else to go on at the moment.

Posted by Sean McCoy on 1st September:
We're getting closer to launching the Mothership® boxed set Hit the "notify me on launch" button to know the minute the kickstarter goes live!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gerdling/mothership-sci-fi-horror-rpg-1st-edition-boxed-set

Just got an email from Kickstarter re the new Delta Green Kickstarter finishing (the pledge bit that is) so I went to click on the link and see how far the pledge levels got. This of course leads to looking at other RPG Kickstarters and I see thig

Herbalists Primer

So I start to read about it and seems kina interesting and I think to myself it would make a cool addition for use with Harn, then I noticed how much the Kickstarter has raised so far and HOLY $H1T over 500K and rising!

Thats allot of "Green" for a book about magic weeds!

Just got an email from Kickstarter re the new Delta Green Kickstarter finishing (the pledge bit that is) so I went to click on the link and see how far the pledge levels got. This of course leads to looking at other RPG Kickstarters and I see thig

Herbalists Primer

So I start to read about it and seems kina interesting and I think to myself it would make a cool addition for use with Harn, then I noticed how much the Kickstarter has raised so far and HOLY $H1T over 500K and rising!

Thats allot of "Green" for a book about magic weeds!
Yup, my wife backed the Primer after noting it when she told me to back the Delta Green Kickstarter. Hehe.

Sure you can't be perfect but add a gauge of risk and allow people to make a choice. You can't be perfect but you can educate and inform. What they are doing now is neither of those. It's just throwing business away regardless if it's good or bad business.
And hobble all KS campaigns by new creators?

And hobble all KS campaigns by new creators?
Yes. The burden of proof a creator can deliver is on them.

But KS can help them by providing statistics about how many first time creators succeed and what characteristics of successful campaigns are.

Yes. The burden of proof a creator can deliver is on them.

But KS can help them by providing statistics about how many first time creators succeed and what characteristics of successful campaigns are.
Which is still additional barriers to entry. How does a hobbyist "prove" he can deliver? He can't, even if he could actually deliver.
How often do first time creators succeed? Well, that's [100-(odds of failure)]...and most people aren't even going to check the numbers. Which basically means most of those campaigns wouldn't fund.

I don't think first-time creators really need jumping through more hoops, or lower odds of success:shade:.

Which is still additional barriers to entry. How does a hobbyist "prove" he can deliver? He can't, even if he could actually deliver.
How often do first time creators succeed? Well, that's [100-(odds of failure)]...and most people aren't even going to check the numbers. Which basically means most of those campaigns wouldn't fund.

I don't think first-time creators really need jumping through more hoops, or lower odds of success:shade:.
It depends on how you see those barriers. You can say this is a barrier or this is a checklist. Do I have a rough draft done? Do I have a prototype done? Have I looked at suppliers and checked prices,availability, shipping times? Do I know how my stretch goals will impact delivery timeline?
Gatekeeping for the purpose of keeping peoe out is bad. Gatekeeping for improving their odds of succeeding isn't.

It depends on how you see those barriers. You can say this is a barrier or this is a checklist. Do I have a rough draft done? Do I have a prototype done? Have I looked at suppliers and checked prices,availability, shipping times? Do I know how my stretch goals will impact delivery timeline?
Gatekeeping for the purpose of keeping peoe out is bad. Gatekeeping for improving their odds of succeeding isn't.
Let's just say I don't see your proposal as a checklist, and agree to disagree, then? It's not like this discussion would influence what KS is about to do/is doing. And I've already gotten used to the fact that I see KS in a different way from most backers:shade:.

They have a risks area that people have to complete. They indeed do have a gate- one that you consider to be throwing business away. It seems with the risks stated, and people's due diligence, there's enough to do your own research and decide your level of risk. I personally don't see where one project running at a time to too large a burden to place on a business. Why do you have to have 2 projects running in the same 30 days? Most of these projects take months to deliver. Push your second project out by 30 days- that doesn't seem too much of an imposition, IMO.

Let's take Onyx Path (one that ran a project at the same time). It ran Victorian Mage 20th on IGG from February 28th - March 28th. At the same time they were running Scion: Dragon and Masks of Mythos and Trinity Continuum: Adventure

They ran 2 of those on Kickstarter, and one on IGG because they couldn't run all 3 at the same time.

NONE of them have delivered yet. And they've run more. In all reality, they could stack their Kickstarter projects, get some started with their own money, and have their delivery times stacked in order, with some further along by the time they hit Kickstarter. Instead, they stacked them on different platforms, because they want to fully put the risk on the Backers.

I don't think that Kickstarter's policy needs to change because someone wants to put risk on the backers. I'm all for crowdfunding, and I can understand using it in the business model. But risks rise when you put out projects in this manner. We saw it happen when Kickstarter didn't have this rule in place. And now they do. They're getting around it (and putting the projects at more risk) by using different platforms.

There are third party companies that offer this type of service. And it still doesn't keep projects from failing. I know, because I freelance doing that kind of work.

There are third party companies that offer this type of service. And it still doesn't keep projects from failing. I know, because I freelance doing that kind of work.
Fair enough. If there isn't any strong correlation then it's not helpful.

Only 3 days left to back what could be the greatest combat revolution since all the other ones!

Support this project with just $1. Fast, realistic, exciting battles for whatever D20 fantasy RPG you're into.

So, you know how sometimes you're thinking to yourself self, I've seen it all, and then all of a sudden you're like nope self, wrong, NOW I've seen it all. I kinda had that moment with this kickstarter (which I love).

screen-shot-2021-09-16-at-12-08-34-pm-png.143861

So, you know how sometimes you're thinking to yourself self, I've seen it all, and then all of a sudden you're like nope self, wrong, NOW I've seen it all. I kinda had that moment with this kickstarter (which I love).

screen-shot-2021-09-16-at-12-08-34-pm-png.143861

Why would I pay someone for this when I game with my cat already?

Except Space Hulk. Bastard knocks the timer on the floor every time things don’t go his way.

Last edited:
I want to see robertsconley robertsconley give us a breakdown of the roll stats for this method. Use of the Anydice site is of course allowed.

Free League is redoing "Into the Odd." Here is the kickstarter link. I am a fan of Free League, but this one is a bit too out there for me.

I'm interested in it, but I'm going to have to weigh it against a couple of other potential purchases (Viking Death Squad and the new Index Card RPG edition). I love weird and surreal stuff.

I'm going to watch it and think on it.

I'm eager to get a hard copy of Into the Odd, to expand on my PDF. I like the looks of the art. Nice contrast with Electric Bastionland.
Have you played Electric Bastionland? I believe it developed from Into the Odd 1E.

The thing about EB is that there a 100+ different weird archetypes (some samples here). I have a guy who's a charming muppet and another guy who's a brooding raven-tamer, for instance. The PCs wander around the procedurally-generated city district, looking to pay off 10K in debt. They do odd jobs and explore weird places. There are robots, aliens, and muppets.

I've been able to let the weirdness flow.

Blackbirds, powered by Zweihander, is live:

Supposed to be a super grimdark game with horrific monsters, inspired by the anime Berserk and the hundred years' war.

Promoting this here because I like to support the little guy and because I helped with it:

FAR AWAY LAND - ADVENTURES IN THE MATERIOSPHERE
4b1d25e6d2e8dcef6316d64a621566ff_original.png

A streamlined, rules light, old school RPG geared towards Theatre of the Mind play, FAL:AitM is a complete-in-one-book, standalone RPG connected to and expanding on the universe beyond the world of Far Away Land. It's now on KICKSTARTER and is already fully funded. It's also completely written, laid out, edited, illustrated, and ready to go!

A quirky and gonzo science-fantasy RPG that great for adults and can be played seriously or tongue-in-cheek, it is also ideal to run for kids and is full to bursting with pop culture references.

This book has all of the rules needed to get started playing and running games for Far Away Land. While other books aren't required, all of the original Far Away Land books are available through this Kickstarter (as both physical and digital versions) at a discounted price. Adventures in the Materiosphere is fully compatible with all other original FAL books. AitM also opens up the universe of Far Away Land and introduces space exploration, space travel, combat, new worlds, new species, new powers and abilities.

Far Away Land (FAL) uses a simple d6 dice pool where players roll a handful of d6s and take the high roll. That roll is compared to a target number or opposed roll. Math in FAL is super simple and uses only single digit addition and subtraction in most cases.

You can download the free QUICKSTART RULES for the more fantasy-themed FAL RPG to take a look.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back