Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Heroes & Hardships is coming to Kickstarter soon!

ANY SETTING
ANY CHARACTER
ANY ADVENTURE
ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE!!

Heroes & Hardships is a Universal RPG System built for flexibility and fun!

Heroes & Hardships lets you play your way.
  • Chuck handfuls of d10s with a Roll & Keep dice pool system.
  • Scale your game from gritty to fantastical with 3 available Power Levels.
  • Create your character with a Point Buy system or leave it to fate with random Attribute generation.
  • Forego the doldrums of combat rounds with Heroes & Hardships' innovative action points system.
  • Customize characters with hundreds of Skills, Abilities, and Ancestry Traits.
  • Wield magic and powers with two Magic Systems for wizards and super heroes alike.
  • Equip your character with an assortment of gear, gadgets, weapons, and armor.
  • Pilot starfighters, galleys, tanks, and more.
  • Defeat a Bestiary full of Fantasy, Modern, and Sci-Fi adversaries.
  • Use dozens of optional rules to play the game any way you want.
You can join the other Heroes and follow the campaign and get notified when it launches!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away!

- Jason

Douglas Cole over at Gaming Ballistic just launched a Kickstarter for OSE solo and group play adventures that David Pulver designed. Good people both, and Douglas always runs a good Kickstarter. He communicates well and frequently and he ships a quality product. I've pretty much backed almost everything he's done. I'm interested to see how David's take on these adventures end up looking for OSE and for solo as well.

Do you have any knowledge of what the game is about?
Nope, never played it. But it came out in '82, so I can probably make some very educated guess even without looking at a review. Now I'm curious though...

So is this just a link farm to KS projects, or should we be dropping random KS kvetching in here?

Because I gotta share...

Sure it sucks when someone straight up fails to deliver on their KS product and the project kinda dies.

But it's a whole different kind of suck when a project never really dies but takes so long that by the time it delivers, you don't care anymore.

Looks fun. I got burned by The Melsonian Art Council when I KS one of their books but it never arrived and my query emails have been ignored so I won't be backing them again but I still like Troika!

Worth updating that I reached out to The Melsonian Art Council directly via their site and a friendly chap got back to me and was able to get me my book. Something with the coupon code was refusing to work and he patiently helped out.

I'd still be wary of backing something on KS but would recommend ordering direct from them once a book is out.

Kickstarter and my gmail often fail to work together; order surveys don't arrive - they don't even get shunted to spam, just unfindable. This has held up several rewards. Occasionally, when I get suspicious, I login to Kickstarter and find messages about things having gone out and am able to get things fixed. It seems to happen only with direct communication from Kickstarter; messages from Drivethru and Backerkit arrive on time.

Last edited:
Checking out the games as part of Zinequest and this one caught my eye. I'm getting the Warhol game for print and play to try them out.

Three Pocket-Sized RPGs by Ready Play.Games, via @Kickstarter

This isn't rpg related per se but I know we have some blaxploitation film fans here and the folks at Deaf Crocodile Films have displayed impeccable taste with their bluray releases so far.

Restoring Sal Watts' Solomon King, via @Kickstarter

This pic alone made me pledge instantly.

8b406b8d06f73748e1022c2fcfae3500_original.jpg

This isn't rpg related per se but I know we have some blaxploitation film fans here and the folks at Deaf Crocodile Films have displayed impeccable taste with their bluray releases so far.

Restoring Sal Watts' Solomon King, via @Kickstarter

This pic alone made me pledge instantly.

View attachment 48423

Dude, nice find! I have never stumbled across something good on Kickstarter on my own.

Pledged! I always set projects I want to support to remind me because I'm lazy like that but I'm glad to see you made the goal Yeti Spaghetti Yeti Spaghetti!

Thanks!! We received a last-minute donation that put us over the edge. It was actually someone I should have approached earlier in the campaign, but the timing ended up being right for them to make us hit our goal.

I will say this, though. I hope I don't have to do another Kickstarter!! This campaign was a mental and physical strain.

ZineQuest is upon us! Lots of stuff for OSE and Mörk Borg, some interesting looking ones for DCC. I backed this one.

Last edited:
Bit of a change-up. Here's a novel that sounds cool written by a guy I've gamed with.

That one is fairly interesting, and I like his approach. Does he plan to also release a setting:grin:?

So I need some advice.

I've backed a campaign from Mythic Games who are now courting lots of controversy in their Darkest Dungeon campaign right now.

Comments sections all over (Kickstarter, Discord and Boardgamegeek) have tons of people vocalizing their regret backing these campaigns, to the point that lots of people are worried that Mythic will even be able to fulfill their current one (Anastyr, the one I've backed).

Backing a Kickstarter is always a risk, I get it. But I've dumped several hundreds of dollars into this Anastyr campaign. Would it be wise for me to jump ship?

There's no evidence that this company will fold or anything (even Darkest Dungeon, while late and riddled with trouble) IS made and WILL be shipped out within the next few months.

But still... While I still have a chance to, should I jump ship?

So I need some advice.

I've backed a campaign from Mythic Games who are now courting lots of controversy in their Darkest Dungeon campaign right now.

Comments sections all over (Kickstarter, Discord and Boardgamegeek) have tons of people vocalizing their regret backing these campaigns, to the point that lots of people are worried that Mythic will even be able to fulfill their current one (Anastyr, the one I've backed).

Backing a Kickstarter is always a risk, I get it. But I've dumped several hundreds of dollars into this Anastyr campaign. Would it be wise for me to jump ship?

There's no evidence that this company will fold or anything (even Darkest Dungeon, while late and riddled with trouble) IS made and WILL be shipped out within the next few months.

But still... While I still have a chance to, should I jump ship?
What exactly are your options? Do you mean ask and hopefully receive a refund? How bad do you need/want the money vs the game?

What exactly are your options? Do you mean ask and hopefully receive a refund? How bad do you need/want the money vs the game?
Ah people are asking for and getting refunds (with a deduction for bureaucracy, obviously).

I'm kind of getting doubtful from all the doom posting... But when I read the updates that are creating so much seething... I can't see what the big deal is beyond disappointment that there are so many delays (due to factory crap in China).

Ah people are asking for and getting refunds (with a deduction for bureaucracy, obviously).

I'm kind of getting doubtful from all the doom posting... But when I read the updates that are creating so much seething... I can't see what the big deal is beyond disappointment that there are so many delays (due to factory crap in China).
A lot of it in those cases depends on your allowance for risk. With Kickstarter projects, I usually look at them as sunk cost. If I do my due diligence and decide to back and the project funds, I'm on board (even you Far West). I never back what I cannot afford to lose. And I back as much for the journey as anything else. Thus, my calculus for risk is different than others.

For others I recommend weighing (a) what your gut feeling tells you, (b) what the facts tell you, (c) how much regret will you feel if you jump ship and it delivers, (d) how much regret will you feel if you don't jump ship and it doesn't deliver, and (e) how much can you afford to potentially waste what you've invested?

You've said the facts show that there are delays, but you see results in the Darkest Dungeon project (which I backed for $1 because I didn't have faith, personally. The timeline seemed - and apparently was- unrealistic, and I didn't want it that much at the lowest level buy in).

If I was in your position, the question I'd ask is - are they running a pyramid scheme? If DD is still in production, are they using the money from Anastyr to help that? People have gotten burned before because of that business model, and its hard to gauge. But what you can gauge is where are they actually on Anastyr production. When was it supposed to come out and what have you seen from them in relation? Have you seen updates on that game that make you feel good about where they are? Or is the news not so good? If you're already not in a good position, and they haven't delivered the project before yours... well I think that speaks volumes.

Douglas Cole over at Gaming Ballistic just launched a Kickstarter for OSE solo and group play adventures that David Pulver designed. Good people both, and Douglas always runs a good Kickstarter. He communicates well and frequently and he ships a quality product. I've pretty much backed almost everything he's done. I'm interested to see how David's take on these adventures end up looking for OSE and for solo as well.

Old-School Solo Adventures Ends Saturday, Aug 27 at 8pm Central

We're about to enter the last phase of the Old-School Solo Adventures crowdfunding campaign. Tonight at 8pm Central, Kickstarter will send out the 48-hour warning bell, and we'll be in for the wild ride that so frequently ends such projects! This will be the last post here on this topic.

If you've missed the prior announcements, these are four "programmed" adventures using the Old-School Essentials Classic Fantasy rules. If you are familiar with the Choose Your Own Adventure stories, released by Bantam Books between 1979-1998, these have a similar flavor.

You won't need a referee - you follow the branching pathways as you make choices. If these choices lead to violence, resolve conflict using the Old-School Essentials rules.

The four adventures span a range of play from 2nd level through 9th level. Use these adventures to:

• Keep gaming when you can't get together with your usual group
  • Learn the Old-School Essentials game rules at your own pace
  • Run players through a scenario with near-zero prep - they can experience roleplaying within moments of sitting around a table. Great for bringing in new players, or even stress-free convention play.

r/osr - Old-School Solo Adventures ends Aug 27, 8pm Central
Four Covers plus the Rules Tome Available in the Starter Sets

As we roll in, I wanted to bring your attention to two items:

• There are a limited number of the Hardcopy Starter Kit remaining. I'm looking to see if I can get a boost to our allocation, but if not, there are currently only about a dozen remaining. If those are of interest, you may need to act fast. If I run out of books, you won't be able to change to this pledge in Backerkit.
  • There's a "home-stretch" goal for digital versions of the Quick-Reference cards at 900 backers ... and we only have 280 to go to reach that goal. We have over 1,200 following who haven't yet backed...so this is looking pretty doable. Every monster, PC, and NPC in the adventures will have a card.

This project is already my second-best for number of backers, and given my best-ever is 685, I feel graciously and enthusiastically welcomed to the Old-School community so far.

So thanks...and I hope you jump on.
Here are some previews of the covers and inside in larger format.

Not sure if this one has been mentioned already, but I ended up backing for an at-cost POD hardcover.

Drakar och Demoner by Free League

The artwork is GORGEOUS. But I don't need another RPG that I won't play (I've go so many Fantasy games and settings).

I'd back an artbook, though.

Looks good, and very affordable. Don’t really enjoy d20 roll under though. But also has playable ducks. Gonna have to think on this.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back