Kickstarters Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Veranthea Codex DnD 5E Grethadnis KS Banner.jpg

This 190 page sourcebook for D&D 5E details 26 nations and regions across the Fair Continent with statistics for 100 NPCs in a realm of medieval fantasy. An entire academy of magic instructors, thieves' guilds galore, zealous priesthoods—there's even 18 new monsters in here including a draconic bunny. It also has new heritage options (like feylves, pantako, motleyfolk, and shadetouched), new class archetypes (including the fiery Doonfist Pistolero and greedy Oath of the Merchanteer), and more than a dozen new magic items (such as the banners of the crusades and mirrored weapons)! Check out the full table of contents here.

View attachment 50299

This 190 page sourcebook for D&D 5E details 26 nations and regions across the Fair Continent with statistics for 100 NPCs in a realm of medieval fantasy. An entire academy of magic instructors, thieves' guilds galore, zealous priesthoods—there's even 18 new monsters in here including a draconic bunny. It also has new heritage options (like feylves, pantako, motleyfolk, and shadetouched), new class archetypes (including the fiery Doonfist Pistolero and greedy Oath of the Merchanteer), and more than a dozen new magic items (such as the banners of the crusades and mirrored weapons)! Check out the full table of contents here.
Grethadnis KS Stretch Goal - Level Up LOCKED.png
The funding goal has been reached!

Over the past couple years I've been working closely with designers from across the world to help shepherd Level Up: Advanced Fifth Edition into being. I am incredibly proud to announce that thanks to the excellent help of Josh Gentry (who tackled converting all the tiny details from O5E to A5E) and Thiago Rosa (who has written up several thousands words of additional story material) we have also prepared a version of Veranthea Codex: Grethadnis specifically for Level Up! This advanced version of the D&D 5E ruleset is backwards compatible so if you haven't made the switch yet, you can still pick up this version the book and enjoy it just as much—if not more. You can find out more about Level Up: Advanced Fifth Edition here and see some of those designs at work on the beta of the free online rules index!

warfare-Info.png

Hey folks!

I just wanted to announce the Heroes & Hardships Kickstarter is 241% funded and pushing toward its second stretch goal.

Heroes & Hardships is a universal RPG system built for extreme flexibility to support any genre or setting. We've already announced the Tetsubo setting for 2023 and have lots more in store.

If interested please check it out HERE.

Thanks,

Jason

Simple Superheroes #1: The Experiment RPG adventure

New Carthage part 1—a supervillain seeking revenge, an experiment sabotaged, your heroes caught in the middle.

Is up for pre-order and has a 6 day kickstarter (chiefly for those who may want a nice bundle of the 2nd printing of the core rules as well as the adventure.)

Simple Superheroes #1: The Experiment is a adventure module including setting information for the city of New Carthage and 9 detailed adventure Events that Game Masters can leverage to run the scenario in many different ways.

Print versions are expected to ship in early November, a 5th Draft PDF will be made available immediately.

What happened here? It's the "after-image" of the front cover by Storn Cook. Follow the links to see the final cover.

The first Expansion/Campaign-Setting book for 'Against the Dark Master' is now live on kickstarter.

View attachment 50908

Totally into this, but the listed shipping prices to Canada are as much as the book itself!

Basically I’d have to pay about $110 CAD (not including customs/duties). For a 50$ CAD book :sad:

I might have to pass, which pisses me off so much. Not the company’s fault, just Canada being dickheads.

With all of the talks of a global recession, I'm getting a bit nervous about my investments into Kickstarter campaigns. I'm no economist, and I know very little about how these things work.

My question is: am I being too optimistic (ie, foolish) to stand by my investments in KS campaigns? Or would I be jumping the gun and being overly paranoid by requesting refunds?

With all of the talks of a global recession, I'm getting a bit nervous about my investments into Kickstarter campaigns. I'm no economist, and I know very little about how these things work.

My question is: am I being too optimistic (ie, foolish) to stand by my investments in KS campaigns? Or would I be jumping the gun and being overly paranoid by requesting refunds?

Honestly, I don't see it impacting our hobby all that much. I have currently twenty one Kickstarter's I'm backing. It would have been only twenty but my wife informed me that I had to back the Monty Python Kickstarter and that was that. lol If you want to be a bit paranoid I'd just not back anymore for the time being but even that I think is being more worried than you need to be.

Honestly, I don't see it impacting our hobby all that much. I have currently twenty one Kickstarter's I'm backing. It would have been only twenty but my wife informed me that I had to back the Monty Python Kickstarter and that was that. lol If you want to be a bit paranoid I'd just not back anymore for the time being but even that I think is being more worried than you need to be.
Yeah my worry is the one big campaign I've sunk lots into. I know that they (Mythic Games) have huge delays, but I don't care about that. I'm more worried that the company will say "sorry, the recession has caused us to close down, say goodbye to your money, fuckers haha". The PM closes next week. Just stressing out over whether or not to cancel and request a refund. I really don't want to do that.

Yeah my worry is the one big campaign I've sunk lots into. I know that they (Mythic Games) have huge delays, but I don't care about that. I'm more worried that the company will say "sorry, the recession has caused us to close down, say goodbye to your money, fuckers haha". The PM closes next week. Just stressing out over whether or not to cancel and request a refund. I really don't want to do that.
Can you afford to lose the money?

Mantic is a UK company. That adds to the concerns about them just because the UK is having a hard time governing right now. The next PM will have a hard time doing more damage to the financial integrity of the country than the last just because it is highly unlikely they will ignore financial reality as completely as the last. I don't say that to pick on the Torys. The last government chose to try inflationary actions on top of a global inflationary period. It was a really WTF moment for borrowers of UK debt. It sank the pound to the lowest I can recall in my lifetime and toppled a government in 45 days.

That can be hard on a UK based company. I personally would look at KS and see who's campaigns are dollar denominated and who's are non dollar denominated. The folks getting dollars are in the best shape as it's currently then prettiest pig on the farm but it's a relative game and the USD needs a lot of lipstick to look pretty too.

Can you afford to lose the money?
I've already spent it. It's gone, and we're doing fine financially right now. So other than the annoyance of losing hundreds of dollars, there's no huge risk.
Mantic is a UK company....

... I personally would look at KS and see who's campaigns are dollar denominated and who's are non dollar denominated. The folks getting dollars are in the best shape as it's currently then prettiest pig on the farm but it's a relative game and the USD needs a lot of lipstick to look pretty too.
The Pledge Manager used GameFound and it was set in USD... does that bode well?

edit: I see some comments of UK folks worrying about the value of the pound to the dollar ("this is gonna cost me a lot").

I've already spent it. It's gone, and we're doing fine financially right now. So other than the annoyance of losing hundreds of dollars, there's no huge risk.

The Pledge Manager used GameFound and it was set in USD... does that bode well?

edit: I see some comments of UK folks worrying about the value of the pound to the dollar ("this is gonna cost me a lot").
Yes set in USD is good. I means that is losing purchasing power slower than anything else and may actually be gaining depending on where they are outsourcing too/ how much work is done in local currency. Pre Brexit the Pound traded at ranges from 2:1 to 1.4:1. Post Brexit it dropped under 1.3:1 I believe (I don't check it daily). Not long ago it dropped to just about 1:1. That's hard on buying imports or dealing with payments if the payments weren't made up front. By contrast if they are mostly doing work in the UK they just collected money that's appreciated vs their costs (assuming people in the UK aren't raising prices as quickly). It gets complicated but it's better to be paid in the most stable currency if you have the ability too.

The first thing to realize is that Kickstarter is not an investment. It's giving money to in some cases a dream (in best case pre-ordering) with the added benefit of possibly getting a reward. Once you realize that, you can put it into perspective.

a) make sure that what you're putting your money into is something you really want to get in on and can wait for.
b) make sure that whatever money you're putting in, you're willing and able to lose
c) do whatever due diligence ahead of time and set whatever risks you're willing to accept so that you can be sanguine no matter the result.

Once you put your money in, it's pretty much sunk cost in most cases (few allow refunds) and you should be very wary of putting any more in, no matter what the creator says- more money after the fact is pretty much an indicator that cutting bait and running is the appropriate response.

Once you put your money in, it's pretty much sunk cost in most cases (few allow refunds) and you should be very wary of putting any more in, no matter what the creator says- more money after the fact is pretty much an indicator that cutting bait and running is the appropriate response.
Wise words here.

In my case, I see lots of people jumping ship and getting refunds. I know that I could take that route, but I really don't want to. I want this product desperately, and I don't care how long it takes to arrive.

edit: Mythic had done this in another campaign (not one that I had backed): asking for more money to cover the unexpected rise in shipping costs. That went over as well as you could think. At least for Anastyr, they charged an arm and a leg up front. Also pissing people off.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back