Kid Stuff (some TFTL discussion within)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

thedungeondelver

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
So, as I have said before I gave Tales From The Loop a try and I kinda like it for what it is. Although, I have to say, there's parts of it I'm not crazy about and will set about to amending.

I don't like that there's "no combat". That's kind of silly, especially for a game that alleges to have influences from King, Spielberg and Stranger Things...yeah, I don't want a game of TFTL to devolve into gun play either, but consider (spoiler alert), one of the first things we see a Kid do is break out the Webley .22 and try to kill "Demogorgon". Silver Bullet/Cycle of the Werewolf by King...same thing. Kid buys fireworks, shoots them at the werewolf's face. Later uses a gun. Etc. But combat and incremental injury are things I can hack in myself without disrupting the flow of the game too much.

Another is "Only the players roll dice"...well...no, there are NPCs functioning out there (some adults, even) and I can just as easily have them statted out and roll for them as well. Or do "opposed" rolls (how many successes you get vs. how many I get). Again, this won't upset the game's flow at all, I think.

Finally, I would like to do a TFTL game that leads to a new environment for the characters. Not just running around having E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial or Stranger Things like adventures but I think it could go further. What if the players were cornered in a Loop technology structure and, in desperation, activated some gizmo that put them on, say, a Ringworld millions upon millions of light-years from home. But, like Niven's Ring, seemingly custom built for humankind. And to add to it there's evidence that at least as recently as the 1960s, other humans (adults) had explored there?

See, I like King, Spielberg, Carpenter et al just fine, but also part of my growing up was sci-fi like Ark-II and Space Academy and dare I say Land of the Lost, the last of which fuels this idea of mine of taking a TFTL "party" to a wholly new place, off Earth. Part of my entertainment were kids finding themselves elsewhere and having to make the best of it. I think that could have appeal all its own.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back