Kingdom Death

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
He evolved that way because of all the time spent sitting in the swamps twiddling his thumbs while waiting for his prey.

Plastics technology has come a long way.

Hey guys I am arriving late to the party but is there any way for me to buy this game retail? I missed every Kickstarter.

Hey guys I am arriving late to the party but is there any way for me to buy this game retail? I missed every Kickstarter.

Yes, it is available for sale at the KD web store.

That's not a big deal, you've only had the game for a short time. I've been spacing out my purchases over several years now, and I still haven't gotten to all the current expansion content.

That's not a big deal, you've only had the game for a short time. I've been spacing out my purchases over several years now, and I still haven't gotten to all the current expansion content.
I definitely want one of the expansions that replaces Michael Jackson. The Dark King of Pop is a full-on asshole.

I definitely want one of the expansions that replaces Michael Jackson. The Dark King of Pop is a full-on asshole.

Slenderman. That's a damn good expansion too. He screws with the memories of survivors, like the Silence from Dr Who.

So it was a pretty major update we got for the Kickstarter yesterday

Upfront, Poots stated that the Gambler's Chest and Campaigns of Death are getting pushed back to 2021. I think everyone expected that. The Gambler's Chest has grown significantly since the KS and is now essentially a sequal game in it's own right, leading from the end of the original game up to the fight with The King.

Besides the Crimson Crocodile previewed above, we got the concept art for the Croc Armour set

000kd1.jpg 000kd2.jpg

000kd3.jpg

The Smog Stalkers were finalized

00.png 000kd5.jpg

and there's a quite awesome concept for the Lantern Lute armour, that unfortunately Poots decided was "too high level looking"

96807115_3255549604468686_9062278207402672128_o.jpg

Models for the Bone Eater giants were also shown

0bbb.jpg

along with new shots of the Death King Armour...

death king armour.jpg

The new Dung Beetle Baron

1e859c9b293cf355317bf3546fb7a9c4_original.jpg

and Infant Sunstalker

d899a09534e51c8ce2124a5c761db1a8_original.jpg

Intimacy Couples for the People of the Sun and People of the Stars campaigns

sun.jpg

stars.jpg

But the really impressive reveal was the progress being made on the 3D sculpted gameboard...

gb1.jpg
gb2.jpg

More questions if you don't mind. How much replay value do I get out of the core box and is it suitable for 2 players?

More questions if you don't mind. How much replay value do I get out of the core box and is it suitable for 2 players?

To answer your questions in reverse order:

Yeah, 2 players are perfect. It's 1 to 4 players, but due to the high casualty rates, it's better with less than 4 players, so each player taking control of 2 survivors works perfectly.

The replay valuefor just the core box, even without a single expansion, is huge. There is so much to the game, so many choices that take a settlement in completely different directions, and so many random events, that it would probably take years of constant gaming just to get through everything in the base game. I've been playing for - I think about 5 years now - and only feel like I've scraped the surface.

Last edited:
Yeah, 2 players are perfect. It's 1 to 4 players, but do to the high casualty rates, it's better with less than 4 players, so each player taking control of 2 survivors works perfectly.
I wanted to avoid the wife and I having to play 2 characters each. That's the only way we can play Eldritch Horror without getting crushed (map is too big and movement too slow for 2 characters to be effective)

The replay valuefor just the core box, even without a single expansion, is huge.
This is a big plus for me.

I wanted to avoid the wife and I having to play 2 characters each. That's the only way we can play Eldritch Horror without getting crushed (map is too big and movement too slow for 2 characters to be effective)

You play an entire settlement in the game. You just go on the hunt with 4 characters at a time.

I agree with Tristram. I got this game into my hands this past December and it's been a delight.

Replay value is HIGH. Trying out one of the alternate rules found in the core book (Hero mode, which is a tad bit easier). Huge difference in game "feel".

I've spent many, many hours:

- Building my miniatures (taking my time, trying to enjoy the experience)
- Running solo campaigns until all hope is lost or I just give up and start over
- Introducing the game to friends (pre-COVID-19). It's awesome sharing this experience with others

In one evening, I can:
- do a hunt phase (fight a monster)
- do a settlement phase (return to the home settlement, run a few encounters and upgrade/build stuff)
- set up for the next game

I don't regret getting this game at all, even though I was stupid and ordered it in a dumb way that cost me far more that it should have.

I do admit that part of the fun is sorting and modding things. For example:
- I "colored" the edges of the cardboard components with a black sharpie and they look so much better on the board
- I sleeved almost all of the cards so that I cringe less when shuffling them
- I bought plastic coin sleeve sheets to store my equipment cards. Works like a charm and helps with packing up the game for later

An excellent, albeit expensive game. I would love to play it more with my wife and friends though. Some folks just don't like to sit for 3-ish hours at one time.

I do admit that part of the fun is sorting and modding things. For example:
- I "colored" the edges of the cardboard components with a black sharpie and they look so much better on the board
- I sleeved almost all of the cards so that I cringe less when shuffling them
- I bought plastic coin sleeve sheets to store my equipment cards. Works like a charm and helps with packing up the game for later

An excellent, albeit expensive game. I would love to play it more with my wife and friends though. Some folks just don't like to sit for 3-ish hours at one time.
I get it and enjoy taking care of my nice things as well. I sleeve my cards and store tokens in Plano boxes. I never did the Sharpie thing for lack of time more than anything else.

Oh I wanted to ask how long is a typical game? With experienced players Eldritch Horror is 45 minutes per character and IMHO it's pointless to play with less than 4 characters.

Oh I wanted to ask how long is a typical game? With experienced players Eldritch Horror is 45 minutes per character and IMHO it's pointless to play with less than 4 characters.

Let's see... my wife watched about 3 episodes of the Office in the background while I ran a game and still had to wrap up some things so... yeah about 2-ish hours. Maybe 3?

Depends a bit on luck. I have epic bad luck at dice rolls, so a LOT of missed attacks, slowing my encounters quite a bit.

Yeah, I'd say @1&1/2 hours per Lantern Year would be typical, shorter the more familiar you are with the system (it IS crunchy), longer on a Nemesis year, on top of set up/wrap up time if you don't have a dedicated playspace (I have a single gaming table devoted to KD)

I'll often spend extra time considering various options and build strategies during the Settlement phase, and with games I'm not soloing I like to roleplay out encounters (I spent a long time accumulated mini representation for all characters in game events - totally unecessary, but adds an extra level to the experience IMO)

Generally, playing solo, a game lasts me about three weeks give or take, playing most nights

Thanks for the follow up. Solo play sounds good and I am fortunate to have a dedicated game/painting table that I never use.

A very interesting playthrough of some top of the line fan-created content

So I just gave up on my sixth settlement.

I really do love the game part of this game, but after so many defeats (the vast majority due to plain awful luck at dice rolling) I feel like I’m getting repeatedly kicked in the balls by a really gorgeous person wearing super expensive, artistic boots. Oh and they’re laughing at me and saying “you’ll lose over and over and you’ll find no pity, only scorn from other players of the game who will call you a limp wristed pussy for not enjoying having a game shit in your face and spoil your mood for months and months”.

i admit that I give up if I’m in lantern year 5 or 6 and don’t have anyone left who’s got more than 3 xp because hot damn do you need a few experienced characters or you’ll get steamrolled.

the game is... dare I say... getting dull. I’m getting bored by constant failure! I know it sounds crazy, but... bear with me... LIFE is mediocrity and disappointment and rolling the proverbial dice of chance and finding out you’ve got cancer or your wife is cheating on you or motherfucking pandemics and revolutions. I would like to play a game that doesn’t make me feel further existential dread.

I’m going to try some of the alternative rules like Hero Mode because fuck it life is way too short and I want to play games where I don’t have to expect to enjoy getting fucked over and over again.

TL;DR Kingdom Death should be renamed as “learn to enjoy losing over and over again, you pathetic piece of shit hahahah”

Last edited:
I completely understand - games are meant to be fun, and Kingdom is a maliciously unfair game, and the line between masochistic enjoyment and frustration is razor thin.

I have to admit one houserule I've always used is that I add the current Luck score of a survivor to every random roll they're forced to make. This ameliorated the swingy nature of Hunt events.

I completely understand - games are meant to be fun, and Kingdom is a maliciously unfair game, and the line between masochistic enjoyment and frustration is razor thin.

I have to admit one houserule I've always used is that I add the current Luck score of a survivor to every random roll they're forced to make. This ameliorated the swingy nature of Hunt events.

I am SOOOOO using this house rule. Thank you!

I know that I'm addicted to something self-destructive, because I can't wait to start another settlement and try again.

Pimping up the Kingdom Death game storage...

50563688813_d53ab866cd_c.jpg

50564570582_83b1fcdf1c_c.jpg

50564432266_0199eb2cab_c.jpg

50563688708_bb1c036cd9_c.jpg

50564570252_a918a47aa8_c.jpg

50564570112_0aceb32f42_c.jpg

50563688473_fee653b619_c.jpg

50563688348_ea044ca520_c.jpg

Definitely getting pumped up for Black Friday. Really want to snag at least 1 expansion...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back