Kingdom Death

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I have not used Gorilla Glue, but from a google search apparently there are 2 varieties - "Gorilla Super Glue" is a brand of cyanoacrylate, so that should work fine. Regular Gorilla Glue, however, is a polyurethane, which you don't want to use.

Additionally, however, according to what I read, Gorilla makes a type of accelerator (or its includes with some products, it's hard to tell) called "Zip Kicker" that makes the bonds brittle, so you want to avoid that.

Overall, I'd say if you're not sure it's best to test by gluing two pieces of sprue together first. As always, you want a very small amount of glue, only on one side, and then hold it together (but not too tight, you want the chemical reaction "room to breath" - literally, as cyanoacrylate is activated by oxygen. Ideally the bond should set within 20-30 seconds.

Another trick, if you're dealing with a particularly heavy piece, is to dust one side of the join with baking soda. This reacts with cyanoacrylate to create a think and hard resin almost instantly.

Edit: oh, and even if you skipped the KS, the game is istill available. Unlike a lot of games where there's no point getting the retail because of all the stuff missing from the KS add-ons, I'd say KD is more than complete with just the basic box. It's got innumerable replayability, and an average campaign (once you're used to the rules), can last about a month (ddepending how often you play, I do @3 hour long sessions, usually about 2-3 Lantern years.)

Moreover, all the KS expansions are periodically made available when one does want to add onto the game (I recommend starting with the Gorm and Flower Knight expansions - the Gorm can be substituted for the White Lion for a Hunt, so gives some instant variety to the early play sessions, and the Flower Knight provides a really great side quest for early in the game).

KD only has one sale a year - the Black Friday sale that just passed, during which they bring back into availability everything released for the game so far. Tis is the best time to jump on board (outside of the KS), and over the last few years every BF I just grab a few more expansions - I only have about 10 of them totaql, and I haven't even gotten a chance to play through most of them yet, the base game is just. that. big.

Thank you for the helpful advice with glue and the tip with the KD Black Friday sale. Definitely going to test out that baking soda tip in the near future. Just as well I missed the sale this year (definitely putting in my calendar for next year though, I need that Flower Knight) wound up loving a buncha the new expansions for the Dawn of Madness KS's Black Friday sale so I was spared the hard decision of choosing between sales of awesome minis.

Thank you for the helpful advice with glue and the tip with the KD Black Friday sale. Definitely going to test out that baking soda tip in the near future. Just as well I missed the sale this year (definitely putting in my calendar for next year though, I need that Flower Knight) wound up loving a buncha the new expansions for the Dawn of Madness KS's Black Friday sale so I was spared the hard decision of choosing between sales of awesome minis.

Yeah, I jumped on Dawn of Madness with the all-in BF pledge, but I'm debating if I'll back out before the end. Love the concept - obviously very much inspired by Silent Hill, and love the minis, but I really have too much stuff on the go, and I dropped about 2 grand on BF sales.

I figured out why the Hunt event deck is all the same thing (“roll 1d100 on the event table”): when you get the mining and “harvesting” (?) innovations, you add cards to the event deck.

So some of the extravagant redundancies in the game actually have a reason!

I just realized I forgot to mention something important about prepping your minis; or at least took it for granted that everyone would know this - you want to wash them first, before gluing or painting.

Minis from injection molds are sprayed with a release agent that helps their remove from the molds, that can really mess with glue and paint.

When I say "wash, I literally just mean putting the sprue in some warm (not hot as that can make the plastic or resin soft and alteer it's shape), soapy water (dish soap works fine), and lightly rubbing the pieces (I use an old shaving cream brush, most people use toothbrushes I think), then just wrap them in paper towels and let them dry.

I figured out why the Hunt event deck is all the same thing (“roll 1d100 on the event table”): when you get the mining and “harvesting” (?) innovations, you add cards to the event deck.

So some of the extravagant redundancies in the game actually have a reason!

I think the game could easily be steeamlined more in rules presentation, but that would take away some of the fun. There's a tactile, visceral eperience to all the crunchy bitz.

I think the game could easily be steeamlined more in rules presentation, but that would take away some of the fun. There's a tactile, visceral eperience to all the crunchy bitz.

Fair enough! I’m still just trying to rationalize my somewhat ludicrous investment :sweat:

Sleeving the cards for Kingdom Death. Have any of you done so?

Are some cards of higher “priority” than others for sleeving? As in, do you find yourself shuffling some cards more frequently than others?

Sleeving the cards for Kingdom Death. Have any of you done so?

Are some cards of higher “priority” than others for sleeving? As in, do you find yourself shuffling some cards more frequently than others?

Honestly I've never used them, though I probably should.

I was never the type to keep my comics bagged and boarded either, or leave toys in the packaging.

Honestly I've never used them, though I probably should.

I was never the type to keep my comics bagged and boarded either, or leave toys in the packaging.

Ever since a friend of mine drunkenly spilled her can of beer over my entire Arkham Horror board game, I’ve been all for sleeving cards, at least. Oh and protecting cards from Dorito finger stains...

OH crap. News coming in from fellow Canadians. Looks like most of the orders are coming from the US warehouse. Canadians have been ordered to pay 140$ CAD for brokerage fees.

I'm looking into self-clearing the package but it will mean a lot of running around and extra effort.

I think that I may actually cancel my order (it hasn't been shipped yet).

TristramEvans TristramEvans did you ever order from the US warehouse? Did you or anyone you know pay crazy brokerage fees?

EDIT: I'm likely to cancel my order.

EDIT 2: I've requested that Poots cancel my order. No way I'm paying so much money extra, making this more expensive than regular, non-Black Friday pricing.

EDIT 3: they won't cancel orders. I will have to receive it, pay the crazy prices and then pay the shipping to send it back again. Oh well.

Last edited:
OH crap. News coming in from fellow Canadians. Looks like most of the orders are coming from the US warehouse. Canadians have been ordered to pay 140$ CAD for brokerage fees.

I'm looking into self-clearing the package but it will mean a lot of running around and extra effort.

I think that I may actually cancel my order (it hasn't been shipped yet).

TristramEvans TristramEvans did you ever order from the US warehouse? Did you or anyone you know pay crazy brokerage fees?

EDIT: I'm likely to cancel my order.

EDIT 2: I've requested that Poots cancel my order. No way I'm paying so much money extra, making this more expensive than regular, non-Black Friday pricing.

EDIT 3: they won't cancel orders. I will have to receive it, pay the crazy prices and then pay the shipping to send it back again. Oh well.

My stuff is coming from the US warehouse via FedEx,. I have never had FedEx charge over $30 in import fees. I think you should be able to contest that price - it does not sound even close to reasonable. Where did you hear that from? It wasn't a qwuote in an email was it? Because FedEx always sends me an invoice for any fees as few days before delivery. You got shipping confirmation, was that also from Fed Ex? Do you have an account with them?

My stuff is coming from the US warehouse via FedEx,. I have never had FedEx charge over $30 in import fees. I think you should be able to contest that price - it does not sound even close to reasonable. Where did you hear that from? It wasn't a qwuote in an email was it? Because FedEx always sends me an invoice for any fees as few days before delivery. You got shipping confirmation, was that also from Fed Ex? Do you have an account with them?
My package is with UPS. I haven't gotten any notifications yet other than "label created". I heard this from two forum threads (Reddit and some other place). Very alarming!!

EDIT: according to https://www.ups.com/ca/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/customs-clearance.page , UPS charges $53 USD just for brokerage fees, not including taxes. I'll have to pay about 100 USD for this.

Last edited:
OK,this seems relevant:

Apparently UPS sre scamming people in Canada with imaginary Brokerage fees. Half a mind to contact the overnment about this.

I wonder why they would use FeEx for some shipments, and UPS for others? Maybe it depends on what Province it's going to?

I once had a $25,000 radio transmitter shipped across the border and don't recall the brokerage fees being that high. I do recall hating UPS AND Fed Ex with a passion though.

Package of Kingdom Death supplements from Black Friday arrived yesterday. Took a lot of Willpoweer to put them aside until after Finals are done.

Package of Kingdom Death supplements from Black Friday arrived yesterday.
I don't understand do you mean the stuff you order from Black Friday 2018 arrived?, because all the stuff I've backed on kickstarter takes about a year to deliver (or 2 years in the case of Dawn of Madness).

I don't understand do you mean the stuff you order from Black Friday 2018 arrived?, because all the stuff I've backed on kickstarter takes about a year to deliver (or 2 years in the case of Dawn of Madness).

No, this Black Friday on the website - every BF they make all previously available/sold out products available again (at KS backer prices) as well as re-opening the pledge manager. The only parts of the Monster 1.5 KS that are still in "pre-order" are the Wave 3 and Wave 4 stuff.

I got Lion Knight (for $35 instead of $70), Lion God (for $40 instead of $60) Slenderman (for $30 instead of $60), and The Dragon King (for $75 instead of $150), which means I've now got all the 1.0 Expansions except for the Lonely Tree and Spindicules. I aalso grabbed the King, even though I backed the Gambler's Chest, (part of 1.5 Wave 3) because I just can't wait to paint that mini...

6ctHowz.jpg

My core game was delivered! My wife sent me photos: holy SHIT is that box massive! And heavy too, apparently.

I can't freakin' wait to get home. My poor family will lose me for a while, I fear.

But hope is not lost: my son loves my Zombicide Black Plague and Green Horde minis, and he's already great at the game (only 7 years old). So there's that, at least.

I had the hardest time not going through all the cards up front ;)

I put together many of the miniatures this weekend. What an experience.

Honestly, some of the bits felt arbitrarily separate and needlessly complex. The Gold Smoke Knight was a mess; I've already ordered some Green stuff to get the job done filling in the cracks. Holy shit.

Never had to use tweezers to put together a miniature before. All those tiny hands on the Phoenix!! Still getting flashbacks.

Still, I have a sense of pride looking at these models, reminiscing about how much of a fucking hassle some of them were to build LOL

It's one of the aspects of the hobby some people hate, but I find really satisfying. I'll usually put on a Netflix series or some movies and it ends up a sort of relaxing, zen experience for me, almost ceremonial.

It's one of the aspects of the hobby some people hate, but I find really satisfying. I'll usually put on a Netflix series or some movies and it ends up a sort of relaxing, zen experience for me, almost ceremonial.
Same here, in retrospect. I was listening to my favorite episodes of Columbo while gluing 30 tiny hands with tweezers.

Same here, in retrospect. I was listening to my favorite episodes of Columbo while gluing 30 tiny hands with tweezers.
I'm hoping you had this episode in the mix.
death-lends-a-hand.jpg

While lacking the cinematic flair and dry English wit of SU&SD, this is ultimately a much more comprehensive and detailed review

My rulebook’s binding is falling apart. And I’ve been super careful :sad:

Definitely gonna print out some parts for table use to prolong the book’s life span...

Wow, that must have been an imperfection in the binding to go so fast :sad:

I had mine spiral bound a while back, it's been a great help

Wow, that must have been an imperfection in the binding to go so fast :sad:

I had mine spiral bound a while back, it's been a great help
I’ve read online that others do this. I might do the same. It kind of pisses me off, to be honest, after paying such a luxury price. Then again, this happens everywhere. I pity the people who bought all the D&D 5e at full retail price and had those break down.

Yeah, at this price point I'll be honest, even realllly minor things like typos tend to annoy me

But the good still overwhelms the bad enough to keep me satisfied ( just avoid the Lonely Tree expansion like the plague)

Yeah, at this price point I'll be honest, even realllly minor things like typos tend to annoy me

But the good still overwhelms the bad enough to keep me satisfied ( just avoid the Lonely Tree expansion like the plague)

Cheers!

For next year's Black Friday sale (or any other sales), are there any expansions that you feel are "must have" or just incredibly worth it?

It's tricky because to a certain extent you are getting into preferences.

The online community rate Spindicules and Lonely Tree as the worst consistently, which is why I've put off getting those. The LonelyTree particularly because it's full of typos and badly phrased rules making it almost unplayable.

Beyond that, though the Gorm is not my favourite aesthetically, it's probably the best one to get first because it's an early game monster that you can hunt instead of The White Lion , so it adds some variety to the grind in the beginning game.

The Flower Knight is my favourite early game foe, partly because it was the first KD miniature I ever saw and I just fell in love with the visuals. It features a really nifty side campaign that actually expands the game, making it a bit longer, typically the Flower Knight will take up a full game session by itself. Some people complain he/she is too easy a foe, but I think there's enough OP Hard stuff to face in the game that it isn't a drawback to just have this sort of beautiful side story.

Slender man is my next favourite mini but I haven't played with him yet because he actually replaces the Kingsman entirely if you use him, so changes the nature of the base campaign.

The Dragon King I just got, and is very highly regarded. He either provides a very challenging late game quarry or also comes with an entire alternate campaign from the base game - People of the Stars, in which your tribe is being overseen and tested by the Dragon to see if you become worthy of...well, I won't spoil that. I think this year I'm going to try out that campaign, even though I still feel like I've only experienced 30% of what the base game has to offer.

Dung Beetle Knight is Poot's favourite expansion, and it shows, he's lavished it with love. It's a really interesting opponent, but because he's mid-late game I've only faced him twice. That why the Gorm is so well regarded, because one inevitably spends way more time with the beginning game.

Lion God is the hardest monster currently available in the game, it's there if you really want to challenge yourself.

Manhunter I haven't tried yet, but supposedly has some really good gear, but is also supposed to make the game substantially more difficult.

Sunstalker, like Dragon King, also provides an entire alternate campaign. I'm not enamoured with it personally, either visually or the campaign, I'll be saving it for when I've thoroughly explored the other options.

There's a ton more expansions coming, but all I know besides the names and minis is sort of spoilery rumours. But the Big BIG one coming is Gambler's Chest, which is essentially the sequel to the base game and continuation of the story.

Let's see what else does that leave? Green Knight Armour which is basically a super set of armour that requires a crazy amount of resources from various expansions together, and probably only attainable in NG + or even NG ++.

Some of the models that aren't actual expansions but are featured in story events in the game have nifty equipment cards or event cards that can be added to the game.

So yeah, I guess my suggestion is start with Gorm and Flower Knight and then add based on taste and what looks cool

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back