Kuro (The Campaign)

Ragr

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I've been reading through all the Kuro material in possible preparation for offering the game to my group. There's lots to like. But, there had to be one, I have some serious concerns about how manipulative and potentially railroady the campaign is. It's a long shot given the game's relative obscurity and niche appeal, but has anyone played or run the campaign or maybe some parts of it. If so, how did it go for you? Maybe someone's read it rather than played it and has a view. I'd love some honest opinions to hep guide my decision on whether to offer this or not.

At the moment I am edging towards giving in to my doubts as there's a lot else I could run; Kuro's appeal is based a lot off of it's differences from the things I usually run.

At the risk of blowing smoke up my own rear I'm pretty well versed in the investigative genre. I'm going to be checking out that link though, so cheers, Voros.

The campaign and game as a whole does look very good and it reads well with some crackingly good scenes; there are just some moments that I know players, myself included, might throw a fit at lack of agency. Draping a veil works okay a lot of the time but some of these appear whoppers coming off of the page.

I've been reading through all the Kuro material in possible preparation for offering the game to my group. There's lots to like. But, there had to be one, I have some serious concerns about how manipulative and potentially railroady the campaign is. It's a long shot given the game's relative obscurity and niche appeal, but has anyone played or run the campaign or maybe some parts of it. If so, how did it go for you? Maybe someone's read it rather than played it and has a view. I'd love some honest opinions to hep guide my decision on whether to offer this or not.

At the moment I am edging towards giving in to my doubts as there's a lot else I could run; Kuro's appeal is based a lot off of it's differences from the things I usually run.
I've run part of the campaign (one of the very few I've tried to, and one of the reasons I'm not actively looking for other people's campaigns:smile:). The campaign is exactly as bad as it seems, while the game and the setting are exactly as great as they seem. (Don't worry, I have a solution! Keep reading!)
Don't worry, the campaign is going to get worse:wink:! Though admittedly, there are brighter moments...like the Darkness Demon, amusingly enough:wink:.
It's a great game, and well-researched, but the campaign basically makes all its potential unnecessary, except as a combat engine!

OK, I promised a solution, didn't I?
Here's what I actually did, and I'd recommend the same to you as well. It's the adventure in the corebook Iwhich is part of the campaign) that gave me the idea...
Now, for those without the game, and for everyone who might think the solution is too radical: The adventure in the corebook is, like, the worst example of a glorified railroad you can think of. Or, quite possibly, worse than that:evil:! I mean, the adventure is fully linear. You can't, by design, stray, short of dying deliberately against obviously superior forces (like, people with assault weapons and power armour, while the characters are unarmed)!
It gives you TNs for checks and stats for NPCs that are going to be fighting. And it also gives you an explanation why, if you fail the checks and have the mind to run, you're still going to pass - and the NPCs couldn't chase you!
So, obviously the authors wanted to tell you this as a story. Should I rewrite or should I run a railroad? No to both.
Instead, I allowed them to do exactly what they wanted.
And I recommend you to do the same.

So, listen: the game begins less than a week after the corebook adventure. The PCs meet and introduce each other, but you tell them that they know each other.
Let the players introduce the PCs.
And then tell them the first adventure as a cut-scene: "Three days ago, you met at the bank that was attacked by terrorists and survived together. Worse, some things you found while escaping point to you that you're all related in some ways!"
Then I read them how the adventure was going to go anyway.
(The players: "why aren't we playing through this?" Me: "Because it's a total railroad and I can't stand to run it, nor do I have the time to re-write it basically from scratch").
Then you serve them the actual adventure. See the parts with "adventure seeds"?
Those are almost as good as the actual campaign is a failure (for me, at least). They give you suggestions, point out what info about the setting they're meant to introduce, what to focus on...
They are even grouped, so you could pick one depending on the party composition!
So, read each adventure in the campaign. Those that suck, and that's the majority, you introduce as cut-scenes. They're meant to evoke a mood and progress a plot. Let them do it.
Between the adventures in the campaign, however, you get more adventure seeds. So, use what you've actually got:grin:!
And you can decide to stop for long after some of the events - especially if you don't want to get into playing Kuro: Tensei (where the game becomes less of a horror and more of a supernatural technothriller in a dystopian future).
The kami need never return, unless the group would like that! Just because you're using them as background, doesn't tie you to them.
And you know best what your group would like.

So yeah, that was my way of doing that. BTW, I stopped the campaign when I started moving houses. Otherwise, it's possible that I'd still be running it!

Last edited:
Is this related to the Kuro rpg that Cubicle 7 published? I never purchased it, and it seems gone from their online store now. And second-hand prices (Amazon, eBay) look astronomical.

Is this related to the Kuro rpg that Cubicle 7 published? I never purchased it, and it seems gone from their online store now. And second-hand prices (Amazon, eBay) look astronomical.
That's the one. The campaign is called Kuro: Makkura, and the only supplement (meant to be played after the campaign), is called Kuro: Tensei.
I've got them all thanks to Bundle of Holding, one of my best purchases BTW, though not due to the campaign:grin:!

The pdfs are making their way back to drivethru, gradually.

The pdfs are making their way back to drivethru, gradually.
Actually, the three PDFs were on Drivethru last I checked. But I suspect K_Peterson is thinking about print copies.

Actually, the three PDFs were on Drivethru last I checked. But I suspect K_Peterson is thinking about print copies.
Well, I was mildly curious about both options. I remembered that C7 produced a Kuro rpg, and only just noticed that C7 had removed most traces of it from their site. Probably been gone a while? Wasn't motivated enough at the time to do a search on DTRPG.

I remember hearing about it years ago, and seeing a preview. Scifi/horror JRPG? I'd be interested in learning more about the setting premise and the system used. But, I can probably find a review on that somewhere.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back