La Revolution Francais (Boardgame Recruitment)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

A Fiery Flying Roll

Hating Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is to gauge interest; I'm wanting to see if there's any for excellent one off boardgame/wargame sessions on the pub.

Game: La Revolution Francais: La Patrie en Danger 1791-1795

Blurb:

The game starts in October 1791, when the Legislative Assembly is installed. It ends in September 1795. The game mechanics are mainly diplomacy and negotiations. Each player represents a "Political Current" (or simply a Current), because at this time, there was no permanent political party, but only shifting groups of politicians. Each Current acts to strengthen its position and increase its fame. The game uses also elements under no player's control, but which react to the players' actions.

A game can end in several ways, depending on the current political regime, and depending on each player's victory points. In the real world, the end was the installation of the Directorate in September 1795.

What you need

Tabletop Simulator.
This one is unavoidable I'm afraid . We need something to play it on!

Around 4-6 hours for a one off game. No need to work out specific dates yet though. (Note that I'm in a position to work round other people's time zones rather than expecting people to do this in GMT).

Enough other players. We need 5-6 for this.

A willingness to deal with muddy rules. I have some ideas on how to allievate this, but it's worth giving people fair warning.

Potentially Discord. This is optional. If we're only using text chat TTS is functional enough.

So at this stage, let me know if you want to sign up! The Political Currents all play quite differently and I'm happy to give them out on a first come first served basis.

Currents

Royalists

Absolute monarchists, the Royalists are utterly hostile to the Revolution and wish to install an absolutist divine right monarchy.

These are the least "political" of the Currents, in the sense they rarely have representation in the National Assembly and even when they do it's marginal. They're much more militaristic in outlook. In the early game you'll find yourself stirring up revolt and trying to persuade the foreign powers to invade. In the latter part of the game it's generally about military insurgency and commanding units.

Feuillants

Constitutional Monarchists, they think the Revolution has already achieved its goals. Now they want to steer away from the whims of the mob towards elected representatives. They're often the enemies of the Royalists (who don't want a King limited by the law) and the Radicals (who want to introduce popular democracy).

The Feuillants start off in control of the National Assembly so their early game is very political indeed, as they try to stave off votes of no confidence and stop everything falling apart. If this fails, they'll find themselves in survival mode, trying to avoid the guillotine and the Bastille, perhaps stirring up rebellion where they can! If they can keep it together they should have another shot of victory if a post terror government is installed.

Gironde

Radical democrats inspired by classical liberalism. They are against the excesses of the Revolution, despite recognising its necessity. Their ideal is a republic, along the same lines as the one recently implemented in America.

The Gironde are in a difficult position, being reliant on the success of the Revolutionary currents as a whole, but finding themselves as the least radical of those three currents. At the game start, they're the main political opposition to the Feuillants. If they manage to implement the National Convention things quickly become complicated as they want to stop there, contrary to the desire of most of the other Curents!

Marais

The unaffilated deputies in the Government they follow no single coherent ideology, making them easy to sway with a powerful speech. They are likely to be found siding with all other currents at some time or another and possibly several opposing ones at the same time!

The Marais are interesting to play, because they're a reactionary current that plays as a revolutionary one for most of the game (mostly because they want the post terror governments installed and you can't have the Thermidor without having the Terror first). They're almost always the biggest current in the goverment without officially running it, frequently putting them in the position of kingmaker. (This is a great Current for those wanting a negotiation heavy game). This comes at a cost. Their deputies are easily switched to other Currents temporarily as are many of their prominent personalities, making them powerful but very unpredictable.

Note: The Marias will only be in play with six players, with five their actions are automated instead.

Montagne

While mainly middle class, the Montagne favour strong government by and for the people. They are fully in favour of the Revolution and want to see it succeed. While riven by internal strife, their closeness to the Parisian people makes them a dangerous enemy.

The Montagne start off officially outside the government, but this is likely to change. They're the most radical of the political factions, likely to be at the head of any of the more radical regimes. Generally they're close allies of the Sans-Culottes. That only really changes if the Revolution has definitely triumphed and those two Currents are the main contenders for victory. Things can get bloody in that situation! (This mirrors historical reality like Robespierre turning against the most extreme members of the Sans-Culottes)

Sans-Culottes

Making the Montagne look like moderates in comparison, the Sans-Culottes are the unruly mob of Paris, pushing for ever more radical regimes. Their base is in the Paris Commune and they tend to wax and wane in strength along it.

The Sans-Culottes are the least political of the Radicals, being much more about stirring up the Commune, pushing rebellion etc. They're the perfect choice for those who enjoy stirring up trouble. Generally they'll work with the Montagne until right near the end where they start pushing for a Terror that makes the historical version look mild in comparison.

The only meagre contribution I have to offer is it's "La Révolution française". With an é, and a ç and no capital f and the feminine e at the end... /grammar Gaullist

Have fun!
[h3][/h3]

The only meagre contribution I have to offer is it's "La Révolution française". With an é, and a ç and no capital f and the feminine e at the end... /grammar Gaullist

Have fun!
[h3][/h3]
That to be fair is the name of the game, but I can't remember how to do French characters on my keyboard. ;)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back