Labyrinth Lord: Moonhollow Oracle (In character thread)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
(making assumptions - if you didn't want to attack, let me know.)

Johrs mace comes down on the golem's head and smashes it into inaction. It collapses to the ground.

The creature keeps going towards Brookmyre, so he unleashes and arrow, which does 5 pts of damage. The thing squeals but keeps coming. It's antennae lash out one after the other. Much of Brookmyre's chain mail collapses to the ground in rust. The creature starts eating the chain mail. no longer interested in its owner.

The woman raises her brows and gestures towards the stairs.

Glad to have my sword and shield spared I run up the stairs.

Johrs nods at the woman and runs toward the stairs.

"Thanks for the hand, name?"

"It's Beldee, we can talk more, later."

The three of you race up the stairs, leaving the munching creature behind. There is a crevice much bigger than the first one. Beldee stops and pull out some silver coins "They use illusions in their de signs." She quickly tosses them down the crevice at various places. One hovers in the air. She points to it and crosses the crevice at that point, seemingly walking on air.

The trio make it across the crevice then along a natural tunnel. After a couple of minutes, they find themselves outside on the far side of the hill.

Beldee looks at the pair and smiles slightly. "We should probably keep going just to be sure. Maybe split up, just in case. For your help with the exit, I'll give you each a hundred pieces of gold. How does that sound?"

She gives a big smile to show how generous she is. As she opens her pack, the pair can see a flash of the diadem that oracle had been wearing.

I nod and smile but look at Johrs to view his reaction.

Johrs has quick look at their surroundings.

Last edited:
(ooc: sorry I wasn't clearer. You're now outside, under the night sky. Beldee seems to be worried about pursuit.)

The trio find themselves on the hill on the far slope from the cave entrance. Trees obscure the small exit that they just emerged from. It is quiet, far from the gathering at the mouth. It is a clear night and the stars are visible. The moon is on the horizon and will sink out of sight within a few minutes.

"You seem still worried about pursuit, by whom?" I say.

She shrugs. "Maybe the oracle or his friends, or whoever. It's best to move out after stuff happens."

She talks as she takes coins out of her pack. "It doesn't matter, one way is as good as another. We'll probably never meet again, so good luck and have a nice life."

She makes two piles of coins on the ground. Each is at least a hundred gold pieces. There is a glimpse in her pack of a ruby or something as big as a fist.

She smiles and rises to leave.

I cast the spell muttering some ancient elven words and hooking my index fingers into a C and hooking them together, then reversing and doing it again.

"Why don't we continue to travel together? Safety in numbers, right my friend? I would really enjoy your company."

She was starting to leave but turns around and smiles. "Good idea. Just the two of us or do we bring the padre, too? we might make better time as two." She waggles her eye brows up and down.

"Yes the Holy Man and I are old friends," I say.

Johrs smiles at how quickly the elf's spell takes effect.

"So then, where shall we make for? I'm not familiar with the region having only come for the blessing myself.

The oracle seemed like a decent sort, I wonder what will happen to those inside"

"Yes, I wonder as well," I say. "Do you know?" I ask the thief. "Surely you know had an inside source to have successfully pulled off your caper?"

"She shrugs. "I'm not sure. I think only cave area is affected by moonlight - the carved areas might exist all the time. How else would those kobolds survive? But I don't have an inside source. I just observed while invisible a few times."

"Ah, you're a clever girl then. Let put some distance between us and here and find a place to camp tonight. We won't be able to light a fire to so as to avoid detection but there are other ways to keep warm." I collect my coins and follow the thief.

She gets ready to start walking. "To the west is a port with a market. There's not a simple road from here to there though, which makes it a less obvious choice."

"Market sounds like a good idea, hopefully an ale house as well for some refreshments" he says stretching, glad to be out in the clear air.

The hill shudders at what must be the cave ceasing to exist.
Beldee looks at the other two and shrugs. The trio walk through the forested hills at night for a couple of miles until Beldee suggests stopping to rest.

"Rest seems good, though I do not know these hills to be safe. I shall take first watch"

"Let's," I say and wrap myself in my cloak and lean against a tree, soon I pretend to be asleep but keep awake and alert.

Beldee says she is tired from staying up all day and all night and falls asleep quickly.

I get up slowly and move to the bushes to relieve myself, watching her carefully to see if she stirs or is pretending to sleep.

If she is not I put my finger to my lips to Johrs and move steathily to strike her with the blunt end of my sword to render her unconcious and tie her very throrougly with my rope. I search her pack and retrieve the heart sized gem from it and wait for her to awaken.

In the meantime I speak with Johrs.

[assuming this all goes to plan, that is]

Last edited:
The plan starts well.

Brookmyre manages to sneak up and strike a blow. The seemingly solid blow doesn't knock her unconscious. She's extraordinarily quick while under pressure. In one fluid motion, she draws her short sword and strikes at Brookmyre gouging his shin.

(ooc: Brookmyre takes 2 pts of damage. Johrs and Brookmyre may act, now. She is still laying on the gorund.)

I draw my sword, attempt to grab the pack with the gem and back-up. I say, "Sorry my love, I can't in good conscience leave the Oracle without his heart. I will gladly give you my share of coins but must return the gem to the Oracle."

Johrs draws his mace, taken aback at the thief's ability to withstand Brookmyre's blow.

"The Elf is right, the heart is not yours by right..."

He mentally rehearses his most potent prayers, they may be needed soon.

She strikes out one more time at Brookmyre catching his unarmored shoulder. Then she looks at the two of them, pushes a button on her ring and disappears. Brookmyre is left holding the bag.

(Brookmyre takes 2 more pts of damage).

Johrs rushes to Brookmyre.

"Hold still Elf..."

He places his hand on Brookmyre's shoulder and quickly recites a short litany, a dull golden glow can be seen under the skin of Johrs's hand. When he takes it off Brookmyre's wounds have nearly healed.

OOC: Healed 3HP with Cure Light Wounds

"The principles were not as kind as I had hoped, but at least you are better. I do not like this turn of events. With invisibility she could easily approach us with intent to kill, keeping watch would be near useless"

I thank Johrs for the aid. “It was unfortunate but I didn’t see much in the way of options. Perhaps the Oracle will be able to help us against her and her invisibility. Let’s make it back to the cave post-haste.”

I throw my bag of coins on the ground for the thief.

“Take this and we all call it quits, a good day’s work for a rogue and you won’t need to risk your life further,” I say loudly.

I examine the gem to see if it has any apparent magical qualities then move rapidly back to the entrance by which we exited the Oracle’s cave.

In addition to the ruby, which might be magical, the bag contains the oracle's diadem, about 2000 gp, and a pouch of gems, which are probably worth a couple of thousand gp.

"What do you say Holy Man, perhaps if we leave some this treasure behind our lovely rogue will leave us in peace and no blood need be shed in vain?"

"Yes, that seems fine..." he speaks loudly to the night air "...I have no great hunger for coin, take it Beldee"

The pair walks through the night for an hour and get back to the hill with the cave without incident. It's almost morning.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back