Lamentations of a Badly Done Hellboy Adaption

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he knows but is being an ass because he got caught out saying something stupid

I like how me not wanting to have a further conversation with you is me "being an ass" in your mind. It's like, with that winning personality, friendly posting style and pleasant attitude, who could possibly not want to engage with you?

Maybe....just maybe...you are not owed an explanation about my personal preferences. It could be...just possibly...that I don't see any value in finding out what your opinions are regarding my opinions. And there may even be just the slightest chance that I think you are spoiling for a fight and angry with me for not giving you the ammunition.

I like how me not wanting to have a further conversation with you is me "being an ass" in your mind. It's like, with that winning personality, friendly posting style and pleasant attitude, who could possibly not want to engage with you?

Maybe....just maybe...you are not owed an explanation about my personal preferences. It could be...just possibly...that I don't see any value in finding out what your opinions are regarding my opinions. And there may even be just the slightest chance that I think you are spoiling for a fight and angry with me for not giving you the ammunition.
Imagine shitting the bed like this.

Here we go again. You throw your weight around behaving like a child when asked about something you've said. It's fucking pathetic and the behaviour on here among some of you mods is ridiculous. Grow the fuck up

I don’t see him being a mod having anything to do with this unless you were banned from the thread. You are still here. Be honest, maybe you just don’t like him?

No, but him being a mod and adopting a puerile stance which wouldn't be tolerated coming from any regular member might have something to do with it.

No, but him being a mod and adopting a puerile stance which wouldn't be tolerated coming from any regular member might have something to do with it.

lol, what have I done that wouldn't be tolerated by another member?

For that matter, how you could with a straight face look at the last few posts by GW and then refer to my responses as puerile makes me curious if you actually know what that word means, because I haven't seen a tantrum like that since the rich girl from Willy Wonka.

There's an italian proverb describing exactly the type of behavior you've adopted in the last messages of this thread: "lanciare la pietra e nascondere la mano". In English, it would translate as something like "throwing the stone then hiding the hand".

If you are not willing to talk about your problems with Hellboy's authors with us, then you don't even mention it. Otherwise you're being coy; you want us to know you think they're bad, but you're not going to bother explaining us why.

Maybe we are unknowingly engaging in some kind of secret mod language, but I know exactly what Tristram was talking about when he mentioned the authors. I don’t see what the big deal is.

There's an italian proverb describing exactly the type of behavior you've adopted in the last messages of this thread: "lanciare la pietra e nascondere la mano". In English, it would translate as something like "throwing the stone then hiding the hand".

If you are not willing to talk about your problems with Hellboy's authors to us, then you don't even mention it. Otherwise you're being coy; you want us to know you think they're bad, but you're not going to bother explaining us why.

Well, that does not address the accusation you made. Again, what did I post that would have gotten another poster moderated? I find that a bit annoying because it implies corruption on our part and that I'm recieving special treatment. People have thrown around that accusation before recently, and none of them have been able to back it up. And I think that's a really false accusation, and one I'm definitely going to challenge you on. If you mispoke, you should apologize.

But to address your new criticism, I answered the question in my very first reply to GW. It's not really ambiguous, and there is no "us" here. It's Ghost Whistler in particular that I am chosing not to engage with, for what should be blatently obvious reasons.

Last edited:

We force other people to explain exactly why they don't like people or companies?

I still don't know why some of ya'll hate the things you do, other than it's things you don't like.

Come on now. Him being a moderator has nothing to do with it. If you had the same stance as he did, I probably wouldn’t even notice and wouldn’t care. None of us mod people because of some stance they have on RPGs or their creators’ work.

Maybe we are unknowingly engaging in some kind of secret mod language, but I know exactly what Tristram was talking about when he mentioned the authors. I don’t see what the big deal is.

The big deal is two site moderators piling up on a non-moderator user because he dared to ask a perfectly reasonable question of one of the moderators playing coy.

Well, that does not address the accusation you made. Again, what did I post that would have gotten another poster moderated? I find that a bit annoying because it implies corruption on our part and that I'm recieving special treatment. And I think that's a really false accusation, and one I'm definitely going to challenge you on. If you mispoke, you should apologize.

But to address your new criticism, I answered the question in my very first reply to GW. It's not really ambiguous.

IMO, your behavior in this thread has been puerile and I've explained why. It's not anything specific in single post, it's the whole chain of them which is below this site's usual standards.

That’s not my definition of piling on. I asked him why he cared so much about Tristram not liking 2d20. We are not discussing this as moderators anyway, just members.

Is this the new thing now? If any of the four of us are involved in any conversation and we say something that somebody objects to and we have a back and forth it’s now the “moderators” have it out for whoever they are talking to? The four of us can take it as well as dish it out and we never banned anyone for that. Maybe there’s not a lot of mod action around here so people are now reading between the lines to find things.

That question is already loaded. It's not him who hinted at some horrible secret of which the Hellboy's RPG authors would be guilty. The curiosity, in a thread speaking about that freaking RPG, is perfectly logic and completely understandable.

A lot less understandable is why "they designed 2D20 games, I hate 2D20 thus I think the mix between it and D&D5 will be even worse than what I've previously imagined" would be somehow unutterable on this site.

It is? I’ve been making fun of 2d20 on this site for three years now and everybody has laughed about it.

Tristram says he doesn’t like 2d20 and now the moderators are going overboard.

I don't know, you should ask him. He's the one who wrote, and I quote:

That was shorthand for GW's benefit, I have issues with them I'm not willing to talk about with people here, but I did say I was talking about "My expectations", which isn't really anything people need to defend against.

That doesn't sound to me about 2D20.

Honestly, I think the swingyness of 5e's Advantage/Disadvantage (most most disliked 5e mechanic), is a great fit for the feel of Hellboy. Although I'm pretty sure I'm backing this for the Dice alone.

It's funny how I suddenly understand stuff that came across as very odd to me before, like RPGnet's rule about not using a mod's status against them when they are posting as a regular poster...

We force other people to explain exactly why they don't like people or companies?
If you dislike something that I enjoy the onus is obviously on you to explain yourself so I can tell you all the different ways you are wrong. However, if I dislike something that you enjoy, I owe you no explanation as you're obviously impossible to reason with.

There's an italian proverb describing exactly the type of behavior you've adopted in the last messages of this thread: "lanciare la pietra e nascondere la mano". In English, it would translate as something like "throwing the stone then hiding the hand"...you're being coy; you want us to know you think they're bad, but you're not going to bother explaining us why.

lol, what have I done that wouldn't be tolerated by another member?

Well, that does not address the accusation you made.

IMO, your behavior in this thread has been puerile and I've explained why. It's not anything specific in single post, it's the whole chain of them which is below this site's usual standards.

Hmmmmmm.....

This is not even the case here, as the goddamn book is not even out...

Hmmmmmm.....

What's so unclear here?
Listen, I get it: you hate this RPG. It's your right. Hinting at the fact that it will be even more horrible because the authors are bad guys and then refusing to explain why they would be bad guys is puerile. I don't know how to explain it any better.

Well, that does not address the accusation you made. Again, what did I post that would have gotten another poster moderated? I find that a bit annoying because it implies corruption on our part and that I'm recieving special treatment. People have thrown around that accusation before recently, and none of them have been able to back it up. And I think that's a really false accusation, and one I'm definitely going to challenge you on. If you mispoke, you should apologize.

But to address your new criticism, I answered the question in my very first reply to GW. It's not really ambiguous, and there is no "us" here. It's Ghost Whistler in particular that I am chosing not to engage with, for what should be blatently obvious reasons.
You're response was to post a picture with the caption '2d20', but that has no explanatory power and I can't read minds on Wednesdays, so perhaps you could clarify what you intended by that. Something you could have done when I asked you and saved us all this nonsense.

It is? I’ve been making fun of 2d20 on this site for three years now and everybody has laughed about it.

Tristram says he doesn’t like 2d20 and now the moderators are going overboard.
This seems deliberately dishonest. Not liking 2d20 isn't the problem and I suspect you know that.
This isn't a 2d20 game afaik, it's 5e. So what does it matter if the authors previouslyworked for 2d20 games? Many authors in the business work on many different systems and given Modiphius' status it would be surprise if they hadn't.

Funnily enough, I was just hanging out in our office lounge (in our alternate non-COVID reality office). Some folks were discussing the Sport Team's latest coaching hire, and the building security guard said he didn't like it, because the coach had run a scheme he didn't like at other Sport Teams. Well as you can imagine, I promptly jumped on the table, trampled several people's lunches, and demand he defend his preferences.
I also called him a tubby mall cop school dropout, then wailed about the injustice of his security guard title when he declined to argue with me.

I don’t want to put words in Tristram’s mouth but maybe he thinks they will try and stick some 2d20isms into the 5e mechanics which he already said wasn’t doing much for him in regards to Hellboy. Apparently they did do that because there’s some 2d20 style additions to the game. I don’t know why that was so hard to understand.

Funnily enough, I was just hanging out in our office lounge (in our alternate non-COVID reality office). Some folks were discussing the Sport Team's latest coaching hire, and the building security guard said he didn't like it, because the coach had run a scheme he didn't like at other Sport Teams. Well as you can imagine, I promptly jumped on the table, trampled several people's lunches, and demand he defend his preferences.
I also called him a tubby mall cop school dropout, then wailed about the injustice of his security guard title when he declined to argue with me.

This is a gross misrepresentation of what's being discussed here.
I'm also pretty sure the 2 mods don't need anyone to defend them from the bad users.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere good. Don't take this as a ban on discussing the Hellboy RPG. If someone interested in the game wants to start a fresh thread, go ahead. We just ask that any baggage from this thread doesn't carry over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back