Land of the Christians Crowdfunding project!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
One thing I like about TOR is that it isn't afraid to say 'you should be heroic' the same way MSH does. Makes sense as both sources are very much about heroism.

I find the OSR's promotion of non-heroic play its least interesting feature.
I mostly got bored of the murder-hobo phenom. I want PCs to have some sort of interesting ethos, though I am more flexible about whether it's heroic or not. Even the Lawful vs. Chaotic dichotomy has a lot of potential. Straight-up two-dimensional mustache-twirling villains, though, no thank you ...

I mostly got bored of the murder-hobo phenom. I want PCs to have some sort of interesting ethos, though I am more flexible about whether it's heroic or not. Even the Lawful vs. Chaotic dichotomy has a lot of potential. Straight-up two-dimensional mustache-twirling villains, though, no thank you ...
Yeah, my DM Nick J Nick J always makes sure that there is never a good or a bad. Just shades of gray - makes it darn near impossible to pick a side!

Yeah, my DM Nick J Nick J always makes sure that there is never a good or a bad. Just shades of gray - makes it darn near impossible to pick a side!

For sure, to create a moral quandry for PCs there has to be the assumption that they are striving to do the right thing. I see Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea as the paradigm here. Pendragon does the same within an rpg framework. Trying to do the right thing is not the same as always doing the right thing as what the 'right thing' is isn't always clear.

I find a lot of readings of Leiber's F&GM as amoral murderhoboes are completely off, they are very much rogues with hearts of gold...and a taste for kinky sex!

Last edited:
High Valor draws its inspiration from Beowulf, and a Christianized Europe (Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire) it is explicitly fantasy world which touches on themes but not an allegory, as its clearly drawing a direct line to a fantasy world that is fundamentally drawn from a Christian perspective while being fantasy. Less Tolkein in many ways, although there are superficial similarities, a closer parallel would be Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy. Which came out when I first writing the earliest and most terrible rules for it (well the third book anyway.)

On the moral side of things. I tend to like playing gray characters as opposed to big jawed hero. Been doing that one forever! But I really like playng characterts with some moral fiber or motivation even if it's left field. Like the Sabbat who see themselves as heroes (all be it in a twisted way) and saviors. :smile:

For sure, to create a moral quandry for PCs there has to be the assumption that they are striving to do the right thing. I see Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea as the paradigm here. Pendragon does the same within an rpg framework. Trying to do the right thing is not the same as always doing the right thing as what the 'right thing' is isn't always clear.

I find a lot of readings of Leiber's F&GM as amoral murderhoboes are completely off, they are very much rogues with hearts of gold...and a taste for kinky sex!
It's the same thing for villains, all the best ones are relatable; their plans make you think "yeah, I see where you're coming from, but...". Nobody wakes up in the morning thinking "I'm going to DO SOME EVIL" today.

I agree that Tolkien's work is influenced by his Christianity, but I thought I read in the intro to the Silmarillion that he explicitly said it was not a work of Christian allegory. Am I remembering that wrong? If that's the case, then I'm not sure I'd categorize The One Ring as a Christian RPG.
Was there ever a Narnia RPG? That was written as an intentional Christian allegory.

I probably wouldn't play it, but it would make an interesting read. I read all the books when I was a boy.

Free food is definitely a perk of working in a restaurant!
My favorite job was working at a dining facility for a university. It was a big cafeteria with multiple booths that had different types of food, one was burgers, another was vegan, another was for folks with allergies, etc.
Company policy allowed employees to eat from any of the booths on their breaks, I stuck mostly to the Vegan food place because the guy that ran it was a culinary god. I'm not vegan, but I darn near became one after eating his cooking.

I worked at a Subway Sandwich deli in my teens. We set up a trade with the nearby pizza hut employees, so we'd give them our free sandwhichs we got for our shifts in exchange for pizza and chicken wings.

I have a SWEET TOOTH and the Garden used to have the New York Cheesecake on their desert menu. They were like $4.50 a slice and we got a 50% discount (bread sticks and salads were free for us). I used to eat those on my breaks if I worked a double shift.

Was there ever a Narnia RPG? That was written as an intentional Christian allegory.

I probably wouldn't play it, but it would make an interesting read. I read all the books when I was a boy.

Not an RPG, but Iron Crown did some gamebooks in the late 90s. They got in trouble with the Lewis Estate over them, since apparently they'd sublicensed them from a source that didn't have those rights to give.

I miss Olive Garden. And Reb Lobster, Chilis, Jack in the Box, and authentic Mexican food.

Ya know, the funny this is though, I've only eaten at Olive Garden maybe ten times total in the years since I worked there, 1992-93 were the years I worked there. It's not like I was sick of it. Could be that it's kind of expensive.

Ya know, the funny this is though, I've only eaten at Olive Garden maybe ten times total in the years since I worked there, 1992-93 were the years I worked there. It's not like I was sick of it. Could be that it's kind of expensive.

I only ate there maybe 2-3 times a year, but it's funny how having the option taken away makes you miss something.

I have thought that if I were to ever write an RPG book, it would be Biblical Mythras. I would start with a campaign of the time when the Israelites crossed over the Jordan and conquered the promised land. The cover would be from Joshua 8: looking over Joshua's shoulder as he stands on a hill and holds his spear towards Ai below (similar to the picture below but more in the style of other Mythras covers). The Israelites would have Theism magic, and the magic of the other peoples would be Sorcery and Animism. I would also like to cover other Old Testament times.

View attachment 19713
Great image, it looks very Mythras.
Also could be something straight out of RuneQuest Glorantha
Nice :thumbsup:

Yeah I know this thread drift is pretty big here, I was going to suggest that anyone into BRP games check out the Merrie England Age of Eleanor book that soltakss soltakss did a while back for indie rpg company Alphetar Games.

Whilst not a 'Christain' game per see, it does cover medieval style Church miracles quite well, plus is an exceptionally good book for medieval roleplaying.
The earlier version was Merrie England Age of Chivalry for MRQ2, so it works well with Legend/Mythras, but the second version was made for the BRP BGB.
The third version was for another BRP ruleset, RD100, Merrie England Robyn Hode which was essientally the same as the previous version but with RD100 stats, and a focus shifted to Robin Hood anctics.

All were great titles for medieval psuedo-historic play, and had Medieval Church miracles and such.
Ok, just thought I'ld put that out there

Ok now back to mega-thread drifting... :grin: :thumbsup:

You know what I'd really like, just once a year maybe, that I simply can't get around here?

A big ol' Texas breakfast, like the kind that was a dime a dozen when I lived in Houston -

Chicken Fried Steak, White Sausage Gravy with Buttermilk Bisquits, Grits, and Bacon.

Yeah I know this thread drift is pretty big here, I was going to suggest that anyone into BRP games check out the Merrie England Age of Eleanor book that soltakss soltakss did a while back for indie rpg company Alphetar Games.

Whilst not a 'Christain' game per see, it does cover medieval style Church miracles quite well, plus is an exceptionally good book for medieval roleplaying.
The earlier version was Merrie England Age of Chivalry for MRQ2, so it works well with Legend/Mythras, but the second version was made for the BRP BGB.
The third version was for another BRP ruleset, RD100, Merrie England Robyn Hode which was essientally the same as the previous version but with RD100 stats, and a focus shifted to Robin Hood anctics.

All were great titles for medieval psuedo-historic play, and had Medieval Church miracles and such.
Ok, just thought I'ld put that out there

Ok now back to mega-thread drifting... :grin: :thumbsup:
?
I second the Merrie England recommendation. I have the Revolution version (Robyn Hode) and Soltakss does good work!

I actually kind of miss Bob Evans sometimes. There were plenty of them in Indiana. Nonexistent in the Northeast.

You know what I'd really like, just once a year maybe, that I simply can't get around here?

A big ol' Texas breakfast, like the kind that was a dime a dozen when I lived in Houston -

Chicken Fried Steak, White Sausage Gravy with Buttermilk Bisquits, Grits, and Bacon.
You're making me hungry, I was just thinking of taking my lads out for a bite to eat for lunch.

You just decided our fate - we may be off to the 'Cactus Jack's' franchise Tex-Mex resturant in Redcliffe (QLD AU). It's a nice drive about 20min out to the coast, it's on the foreshore, and the food is great. Plus it feels like we are over somewhere down on the USA-Mexican border, it's all decked out in Cowboy and Pueblo trinkets everywhere, like a place we went when we were driving inland from LA (not sure what it was called). Anyway, I think this'll hit the spot!

Yeah it's probably no where near as good as the local authentic stuff over there in Texas USA, but the burgers will sure do us for lunch, plus I could do with a beer.

The internet provides heh heh
I knew it was a good idea to poke my nose in here this morning!
Good choice mate :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I like those big breakfast but now days I’m trying to avoid a heart attack... Getting older stinks.

There's been several entirely unoffical parlour larps set in Narnia.

Lobsters are around $7 a pound here on the coast of Maine, maybe less. The price bottomed out once China stopped buying them. I only eat them about once a year when someone visits from out of state and asks "Let's get some lobstah!!"

I miss Olive Garden. And Reb Lobster, Chilis, Jack in the Box, and authentic Mexican food.
We still have all those in California. What I miss is Numero Uno pizza. I'd kill for a Slaughterhouse Five. Fast food I miss Naugles All Meat Burritos.

That's the one thing I would miss most about leaving California, the authentic cultural cuisines.

We still have all those in California. What I miss is Numero Uno pizza. I'd kill for a Slaughterhouse Five. Fast food I miss Naugles All Meat Burritos.

That's the one thing I would miss most about leaving California, the authentic cultural cuisines.
One of the best authentic cultural cuisine I had was Ramen in of all places, Laramie Wyoming.

One of the best authentic cultural cuisine I had was Ramen in of all places, Laramie Wyoming.
True, you never know where you’re going to find that gem. The US is a nation of immigrants, after all. Las Vegas wasn’t the first place I’d go looking for a Polish Deli, but doing a three week gig in Vegas, I found it anyway.

California just has an edge over a lot of states being so damn big, with so many people. Nothing’s like New York for food variety, though.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back