Land of the Christians Crowdfunding project!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My personal campaign world is pseudo-christian, with a monotheism; a mish-mash of OT themes with a medieval-ish church structure, with the tension between that and kings.

Long story short, I agree that there's good gaming to be had by going in a different direction than the mish-mash of polytheism presented in core D&D. (Although the campaign world isn't attempting to allude to anything beyond it; it isn't Narnia-like.)

California just has an edge over a lot of states being so damn big, with so many people. Nothing’s like New York for food variety, though.
I dunno, I have lived in both NYC and all over the greater Los Angeles area and have to say CA wins. NY had great food and variety don't get me wrong they were seriously lacking in Asian and Mexican. In two years I couldn't find decent Mexican at all. Or Vietnamese. Or Korean. NY beats CA when it comes to Middle Eastern, African, and Carribean food. Also NY was kind of a food desert. I had to drive all the way to Long Island for decent produce. This was 1996-1997 so maybe it has changed.

In fact, one of the main things holding me back from moving to a cheaper rural state is the atrocious state of fresh produce and decent grocery stores in much of the country.

Hmm, the Crowdfunding project is gone. It had 60 days.

I dunno, I have lived in both NYC and all over the greater Los Angeles area and have to say CA wins. NY had great food and variety don't get me wrong they were seriously lacking in Asian and Mexican. In two years I couldn't find decent Mexican at all. Or Vietnamese. Or Korean. NY beats CA when it comes to Middle Eastern, African, and Carribean food. Also NY was kind of a food desert. I had to drive all the way to Long Island for decent produce. This was 1996-1997 so maybe it has changed.
USA has a great range of cuisine, although I kinda expected more. We get pretty much most of this in Australia, with a bigger emphasis on the multitude of Asian cuisine varieties that we have here. Plus it's usually alot easier to find barista coffee here in Australia, it is the default coffee these days - it's the main thing I miss when travelling actually,
I have been visiting the States on and off since 2000 now. My wife's family is Latin-American, and they migrated many years ago, spreading themselves all across the States. We go over every few years, staying in New York, Denver, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, so we get to see a few different regions. There's still so much yet to see, I love the place. I'm pushing for someone to move down to New Orleans so I can check it out.
USA is pretty great in alot of ways, but I don't think it's far beyond alot of other places in food variety as one might think, well not these days in any case.
Not bagging USA at all however. I'm terribly jealous of your thriving rpg culture over there, not to mention there is so much going on all the time! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Not bagging USA at all however. I'm terribly jealous of your thriving rpg culture over there, not to mention there is so much going on all the time! :thumbsup:
I don't think you are bagging on the USA at all and am interested in your perspective. I happen to live in a part of Southern California (Orange County) that is home to several waves of Asian immigrants who fled Communism along with South/Central American immigrants so I perhaps I am an exception to many of my countrymen insofar as cultural influences go. I can't speak for other parts of the US but in Orange County there was a big boom of specialized coffee houses in the late 90's but most of them have since disappeared. It is a real shame. I was a barista at a jazz club for a couple years in my 20's and I have fond memories of the experience.

You should definetly move to a nice agriculture area, Farmers markets are underappreciated culinary goldmines.
You probably know more about this being a chef and all but until relatively late in life I had no idea how much freshness and quality mattered for produce. For a great deal of my life I was one of those typical macho "meatbread" dudes who thought eating salads made you a sissy until I was turned on to farmer's markets. I never imagined in my wildest nightmares that one day I would be eating steamed broccoli and cucumber/tomato salad nearly every day.

Hmmm maybe we might see it return with a better pitch at some stage, as it did actually generate some interest here.
Depends on if the author pulled it or it was deemed inappropriate content.

I don't think you are bagging on the USA at all and am interested in your perspective. I happen to live in a part of Southern California (Orange County) that is home to several waves of Asian immigrants who fled Communism along with South/Central American immigrants so I perhaps I am an exception to many of my countrymen insofar as cultural influences go. I can't speak for other parts of the US but in Orange County there was a big boom of specialized coffee houses in the late 90's but most of them have since disappeared. It is a real shame. I was a barista at a jazz club for a couple years in my 20's and I have fond memories of the experience.
Yes from memory I found it alot easier finding asian food on the West Coast than I did on the East Coast, but it probably also depends on where we went.
Southern California was the place I felt most comfortable actually. The whole casual Californian vibe thing isn't too different to the casual QLDer Aussie vibe, except you guys have a much better rock music history! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I doubt Ingiegogo would have cancelled the project, I'm sure the creator was discouraged by lack of response.

I looked them up, and while they posted across almost every well-known RPG forum, they recieved little to no responses, and as of the last time I checked had no backers. I assume the author was discouraged. A shame perhaps, but we do live in a day and age that, even without crowdfunding support, there's nothing to prevent her moving forward and writing her game. Perhaps that is better in the long run, than taking on a financial obligation at this stage.

I wish her the best in her endeavours, and I am proud of The Pub to know that if she returned, she would find a warm and receptive welcome.

I wish her the best in her endeavours, and I am proud of The Pub to know that if she returned, she would find a warm and receptive welcome.
Yep this Forum has turned out to be a decent place, and I think how this poster was treated here just proves it.
You Mods have good reason to be proud of this little patch here :thumbsup:

Artisinal coffee down under is an odd phenomenon - it got quite big in Oz around the '80s and '90s and it's been pretty big ever since - Starbucks never did well in Australia as the local coffee was better. It had spread to NZ in the '90s and I can remember ordering flat whites in Christchurch (such a hick town that it's famous for its parochialism even by NZ standards) by about 1995 or so. The cafe culture spread into London in the 2000's, mostly from Aussie expats setting up coffee shops there.

Funnily enough, Artisinal coffee isn't all that big in Indonesia, although there are a few outfits around and one or two chains like Excelso. You can find warungs (little street-side shops) or street food vendors that do it but it tends to be pretty basic (and cheap, of course) and often just instant.

I doubt Ingiegogo would have cancelled the project, I'm sure the creator was discouraged by lack of response
Pitching the project on RPG sites makes apparent sense, but ultimately I think that something so niche has to be aimed squarely at those most likely to be interested in the themes and aims of it, which in this case would be people who identify very strongly as Christian and not necessarily people who are keen RPG fans.

Whether they are gamers is secondary, really: a "typical" gamer might look at this as any other project and decide for themselves whether it sounds interesting, but they might equally find the concepts behind it laughable or offensive; a Christian might find the idea laudable but have reservations about gaming, which I would argue is more easily addressed (even putting aside the fact that not as many people as we like to believe even know what RPGs are). Existing gamers also expect a different and rather more detailed pitch, including mechanics etc, than potential gamers do.

That the reaction generally has been muted doesn't surprise me, but it's encouraging to see that things here were more engaged and certainly not aggressive.

Artisinal coffee down under is an odd phenomenon - it got quite big in Oz around the '80s and '90s and it's been pretty big ever since - Starbucks never did well in Australia as the local coffee was better. It had spread to NZ in the '90s and I can remember ordering flat whites in Christchurch (such a hick town that it's famous for its parochialism even by NZ standards) by about 1995 or so. The cafe culture spread into London in the 2000's, mostly from Aussie expats setting up coffee shops there.

Funnily enough, Artisinal coffee isn't all that big in Indonesia, although there are a few outfits around and one or two chains like Excelso. You can find warungs (little street-side shops) or street food vendors that do it but it tends to be pretty basic (and cheap, of course) and often just instant.
Yeah it is pretty strange that we have such wide-spread good quality coffee readily available down here. Gourmet coffee was always a thing in some regions, especially the Greek and Italian suburbs in the cities - Melbourne was especially known for it due to having the biggest population of Greek people outside of Athens. So in the 1990s Melbourne was THE PLACE for good coffee. By 2000 Sydney was matching this, and by 2005 all the other capitals were pretty much the same. Since then it has been spreading everywhere, so even in regional towns there will often be several places to get artisan coffee. People just expect good quality coffee now, so barista coffee is the default at restuaruants, cafes, bakeries, even some fish n chip shops will do it. Only in the Outback does things really get dire, but some spots will still have suprisingly great coffee.

I didn't know how good we had it until I was in New York City for the first time in the mid 2000s - I thought it would be like a 'Friends' episode or something like 'When Harry Met Sally' where we could find good coffee almost everywhere - alas this was far from the case (although we did certainly end up getting some great coffee in NYC, but it was not the 'default' that I thought it would be. Little Italy was great for it however). Actually San Francisco seemed a little easier to get quality coffee, but again it was probably because we were in the Italian region.

But out in suburbia, and doing road trips etc it was pretty hard to drop down to the syrupy coffee of Starbucks, or to the perculated coffee of the diners (although this did feel like a nostalgic step back in time). By the time we do a few weeks over there I'm usually happy to have a Starbucks if I can't find anything else.

Anyway, I know how this sounds - my wife's family always calls us 'those Aussie coffee-snobs' heh heh. Sad but true, because sometimes you just want to get a good cuppa, yet that's not as easy as it is down here.
It all evens out though, it's not like this is Utopia down here at all, far from it.
But don't get me started on the abundance of great wine here in Australia & New Zealand, or we'll never get back to gaming topics! :grin:

Last edited:
Depends on if the author pulled it or it was deemed inappropriate content.
I couldn't see any reason it would be pulled by IGG; the pitch was poor, but there was nothing even vaguely offensive about it, even squinting really hard. I agree with TristramEvans TristramEvans that the creator probably took it down due to discouragement.

I actually think one of the best things she could do is spice up the name of the RPG. Land of the Christians doesnt roll off the tongue very well. This is just an aside, but if I was writing an RPG about Biblical adventures, I would stay in the first twenty chapters of Genesis. It’s just ripe with ideas for gaming.

Yeah it is pretty strange that we have such wide-spread good quality coffee readily available down here. Gourmet coffee was always a thing in some regions, especially the Greek and Italian suburbs in the cities - Melbourne was especially known for it due to having the biggest population of Greek people outside of Athens. So in the 1990s Melbourne was THE PLACE for good coffee. By 2000 Sydney was matching this, and by 2005 all the other capitals were pretty much the same. Since then it has been spreading everywhere, so even in regional towns there will often be several places to get artisan coffee. People just expect good quality coffee now, so barista coffee is the default at restuaruants, cafes, bakeries, even some fish n chip shops will do it. Only in the Outback does things really get dire, but some spots will still have suprisingly great coffee.

I didn't know how good we had it until I was in New York City for the first time in the mid 2000s - I thought it would be like a 'Friends' episode or something like 'When Harry Met Sally' where we could find good coffee almost everywhere - alas this was far from the case (although we did certainly end up getting some great coffee in NYC, but it was not the 'default' that I thought it would be. Little Italy was great for it however). Actually San Francisco seemed a little easier to get quality coffee, but again it was probably because we were in the Italian region.

But out in suburbia, and doing road trips etc it was pretty hard to drop down to the syrupy coffee of Starbucks, or to the perculated coffee of the diners (although this did feel like a nostalgic step back in time). By the time we do a few weeks over there I'm usually happy to have a Starbucks if I can't find anything else.

Anyway, I know how this sounds - my wife's family always calls us 'those Aussie coffee-snobs' heh heh. Sad but true, because sometimes you just want to get a good cuppa, yet that's not as easy as it is down here.
It all evens out though, it's not like this is Utopia down here at all, far from it.
But don't get me started on the abundance of great wine here in Australia & New Zealand, or we'll never get back to gaming topics! :grin:
There's plenty of wine from down under available here in the UK. I had a surreal moment when I found a bottle of plonk in a grog shop in Reigate that came from a vineyard next to my folk's lifestyle block (sadly damaged badly in the 2006 grass fire and went under). Having said that, there are quite a few good wine growing regions in the Americas.

Last edited:
There's plenty of wine from down under available here in the UK. I had a surreal moment when I found a bottle of plonk in a grog shop in Reigate that came from a vineyard next to my folk's lifestyle block. Having said that, there are quite a few good wine growing regions in the Americas.
Yeah certainly no shortage of good award-winning vineyards down here to keep us going. But yep over in the States they have some good quality wines as well. California is quite known for it, but there will be plenty of others

It is a more crowded field than one may think, but I wholly support her desire in making it. :angel::heart:

I tend to collect such games (yes, even had some Wisdom Tree games there at one point...:quiet: they were really disappointing rush jobs and sold them off early), so one more from this same perspective would interest me.:grin: Trouble is I have more interests than time, money, or will to use them... :blah: I might be a hoarder.

It is a more crowded field than one may think, but I wholly support her desire in making it. :angel::heart:

I tend to collect such games (yes, even had some Wisdom Tree games there at one point...:quiet: they were really disappointing rush jobs and sold them off early), so one more from this same perspective would interest me.:grin: Trouble is I have more interests than time, money, or will to use them... :blah: I might be a hoarder.
You:shock:? Say it ain't so!

I mean, who would call a fellow Pub member an ugly word like "hoarder"? That's something you call dragons:shade:!

USA has a great range of cuisine, although I kinda expected more. We get pretty much most of this in Australia, with a bigger emphasis on the multitude of Asian cuisine varieties that we have here. Plus it's usually alot easier to find barista coffee here in Australia, it is the default coffee these days - it's the main thing I miss when travelling actually,
I have been visiting the States on and off since 2000 now. My wife's family is Latin-American, and they migrated many years ago, spreading themselves all across the States. We go over every few years, staying in New York, Denver, Los Angeles, and San Francisco, so we get to see a few different regions. There's still so much yet to see, I love the place. I'm pushing for someone to move down to New Orleans so I can check it out.
USA is pretty great in alot of ways, but I don't think it's far beyond alot of other places in food variety as one might think, well not these days in any case.
My suggestion about New Orleans is Do Not Go! It is a cesspool of stench and crud. Went for a week, left after 4 days. Only stayed that long to try as much of the food as possible.
We have a number of transplants from New Orleans here in NFL. Their home cooking is superior to the restaurants in New Orleans. I had a far superior po'boy in the SC low country than any of the places we tried in NO.

My suggestion about New Orleans is Do Not Go! It is a cesspool of stench and crud. Went for a week, left after 4 days. Only stayed that long to try as much of the food as possible.
My wife and I had our honeymoon in New Orleans. We loved it. The music, the food, the culture, the history. We stayed in the Garden District, visited some plantations, toured a couple cathedrals, the cemeteries, the WWII museum, took a boat ride in the swamps. We mostly went to Frenchman Street for evening entertainment. Bourbon Street and most of the French Quarter is a disappointing tourist pit, but there's plenty else to do.

Been to New Orleans once, had a blast and didn't even drink. Well worth seeing.

New Orleans is one of those cities like San Francisco or New York. If someone kidnapped you, blindfolded you, and dropped you off there, you'd know where you were as soon as you took off the blindfold. Not many cities have that kind of character.

Speaking of food, don't sleep on Phoenix, y'all, it's a great food town.

As for the OP, I hope their KS is a success, and I'm sorry if they have been hassled anywhere. It's not surprising, though. Religion hasn't exactly been a friend of the hobby, historically. That's no reflection on the OP, of course, but not everyone is gonna feel that way, I guess.

You probably know more about this being a chef and all but until relatively late in life I had no idea how much freshness and quality mattered for produce. For a great deal of my life I was one of those typical macho "meatbread" dudes who thought eating salads made you a sissy until I was turned on to farmer's markets. I never imagined in my wildest nightmares that one day I would be eating steamed broccoli and cucumber/tomato salad nearly every day.
I only really knew about it after starting culinary school last year and boy howdy did it open my eyes up to all the new possibilities of eating! Last Quarter we made sandwiches for the student run deli/bakery that we share with the baking program, and there was this grilled veggie sandwich that was absolutely to die for: Grilled peppers, Squash, cucumbers and onions on Focaccia bread with a hummus spread and Feta Cheese. I thoroughly regret not getting the recipe for that hummus.
One of the concepts that my teachers keep hammering into us is that all food can taste good, you just have to know how to cook it properly. Brussels Sprouts can taste good, but have had the misfortune of being poorly cooked for a long time.

Are you sure you're not ... BROCC SAVAGE!!!

I'll show myself out ...

I haven't been since before the disaster; it was a beautiful experience back in the 90s. I take it they've never completely recovered?

I lived 80 miles from New Orleans for a few years and always had a pleasant time when I went there. Great food, great music, and very friendly people.
I have heard so many wildly conflicting stories of New Orleans being great/terrible I have to check it out for myself. Oddly enough in all my travelling across the country I have never so much as driven through LA. Sounds like a road trip is in order.

Pitching the project on RPG sites makes apparent sense, but ultimately I think that something so niche has to be aimed squarely at those most likely to be interested in the themes and aims of it, which in this case would be people who identify very strongly as Christian and not necessarily people who are keen RPG fans.
She has posted about it (and responded to questions) in Christian Forum's gaming section which strikes me as a sensible place for her to be promoting, especially as she has a high post count there. The mods have locked the thread for review, but weren't hostile about it.

I couldn't see any reason it would be pulled by IGG; the pitch was poor, but there was nothing even vaguely offensive about it, even squinting really hard. I agree with TristramEvans TristramEvans that the creator probably took it down due to discouragement.
I just figured that any game that was "Land of <Religion X>" written "By <Religion X> people for <Religion X> people" would be seen as by definition excluding religions Y, Z and all the rest. If so, I'm not even sure I disagree.

Anyway, I hope the OP comes back to talk more about the mechanics.

I did a little more digging and found out that ICE did five Narnia solo gamebooks, although the series was cancelled and most of the print run for the fifth was destroyed. Also, judging from a want ad in Dragon (https://gamebooks.org/gallery/ads/Narnia.gif), they were planning a full-fledged RPG.
Every open ended roll could be, "Aslan appears and fixes everything better than you ever could, you feel bad for even trying."

If someone was a real troll they could have listed Dogs in the Vineyard as a Christian rpg.

Still, honestly, from my own religious perspective just putting, "for Christians by Christians" on a product pretty much ensures I'll never look at it. To my mind trying to monetize or capitalize on that market in that way is very off putting. Why it would do poorly on other rpg sites probably cuts too close to discussing religion and politics.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back